Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

nielsm posted:

So yeah I tried. Here's a program. (Adapted from here.)

It tries to display a toast notification, but crashes as soon as it tries to create the Windows::UI::Nofifications::ToastNotifier object, presumably because that requires loading some metadata from the non-existent APPX package and assigning a valid notification source etc. So here, at the very least the need for toast notifications to have a clearly identified source is in the way.

You forgot the manifest file & the manifest registration...

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you were to stuff this as-is into an UWP container, as per the blog Factor Mystic links to, this will likely magically start working.

That said, your test app doesn't initialize the UWP stuff properly (see CoreApplication::Run()), but I doubt it's worth spending time trying. It crashed on invocation, too, back when I last tried.

As said before, so long these restrictions exist, you won't see bigger software companies (a la Adobe et al, or at least those without cross-platform apps) spitting out apps that use the new fancy UI stuff. It's not just the store, but also the various API restrictions in the UWP container, for instance loading third party DLLs for instance (plugins) is out, too. I'd really love a proper and actively maintained WPF successor, but not on these terms.

...but there's no "container". It's still just an exe. Look I made you an app:

which is this

code:
using System;
using Windows.UI.Notifications; // ooOOOooOOooOOOooOO Windows.UI
using Windows.Data.Xml.Dom;

namespace HelloWorldConsoleSample
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Hello Centennial!");
            Console.WriteLine("Pin this app to Start");
            Console.WriteLine("Enter the text for your Live Tile:");
            string liveTileText = Console.ReadLine();

// Update the apps live tile
            XmlDocument tileXml = TileUpdateManager.GetTemplateContent(TileTemplateType.TileSquare150x150Text01);

XmlNodeList textNodes = tileXml.GetElementsByTagName("text");
            textNodes[0].InnerText = liveTileText;
            textNodes[1].InnerText = DateTime.Now.ToString("HH:mm:ss");

TileNotification tileNotification = new TileNotification(tileXml);
            TileUpdateManager.CreateTileUpdaterForApplication().Update(tileNotification);

Console.WriteLine("See how it has received the live update");
            Console.ReadLine();
        }
    }
}
e: I misspelled your nick, rip

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are you being intentionally obtuse? Who the gently caress cares about tiles and toasters? Create an application window with Windows.UI. Tell me how that works out for you.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FIGHT, FIGHT!!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Who the gently caress cares about tiles and toasters? Create an application window with Windows.UI. Tell me how that works out for you.

Combat Pretzel posted:

IIRC you still can't write a regular old Win32 style app that uses the WinRT UI APIs

Combat Pretzel posted:

I keep saying I want to compile a stupid simple .exe and have it use the whole Windows.UI namespace. This is plain not possible.

Factor Mystic posted:

code:
using Windows.UI.Notifications; // ooOOOooOOooOOOooOO Windows.UI

Ok ya got me I didn't use the "whole" namespace. This must be what it's like when my whole worldview collapses around me, rip i'm ded

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 9, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't even know how I'm supposed to interpret that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

FIGHT, FIGHT!!

Jerry, Jerry!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't even know how I'm supposed to interpret that.

It sort of looks like a cutesy, extremely roundabout and passive way of saying "oops I was wrong"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess next time I happen to kick off that topic, I'll be more specific. I just figured that it was obvious, that when talking about Windows.UI, where that improved native code successor of WPF makes up almost all of it (arguably the most interesting part of all of WinRT, next to maybe the store as easy means of distribution), I'd be most likely referring to exactly that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you're pedantic enough, you're never wrong!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Last Chance posted:

It sort of looks like a cutesy, extremely roundabout and passive way of saying "oops I was wrong"

CP made several claims which were trivially refuted, but was correct on not being able to use the "whole" namespace, and is now hiding behind that one thing as proof he was right all along while complaining that he never cared about anything else. I posted that in a silly way because while even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but stomping your foot and pointing at the clock right then is silly, so I matched silly for silly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's this huge treasure trove of an awesome, easy and extensible UI toolkit, which I still claim is locked away behind artificial restrictions, but because some minor ancillary functionality, that has probably the least importance in all this, is publicly available outside these restrictions, my argument is "trivially refuted". Whatever makes you happy.

It's like claiming some house is open access, just because you can peek through the mail slot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 10, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Factor Mystic posted:

CP made several claims which were trivially refuted, but was correct on not being able to use the "whole" namespace, and is now hiding behind that one thing as proof he was right all along while complaining that he never cared about anything else. I posted that in a silly way because while even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but stomping your foot and pointing at the clock right then is silly, so I matched silly for silly.

dude his context was clear enough, just give it up.

Yes he was wrong that "Windows.UI" includes other things besides the thing he was talking about. You have proven him wrong and wasted a bunch of your time doing so. Congrats!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So Defender just had a brief hiccup (a brief moment of being off) when i started up firefox - i don't visit any suspicious websites, but I am very on edge. is this just a hiccup with Windows Defenders, or do I have a problem here?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spit on my clit posted:

So Defender just had a brief hiccup (a brief moment of being off) when i started up firefox - i don't visit any suspicious websites, but I am very on edge. is this just a hiccup with Windows Defenders, or do I have a problem here?

You could always check the Event Viewer for what happened (could be in the application log or the system log) but I'm guessing you just caught it while it was updating its actual scan engine, not just its database.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seems to be fine, thanks for the info

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been loosely looking at that Windows 10 Pro upgrade option via the Windows Store, for Hyper-V and native remote desktop. While currently rather not, it seems like price is coming down very slowly. However I just read on some third parts sites that the Pro upgrade would be tied to the PC (well, rather what identifies it) and current installation, if I were to significantly upgrade my box (mainboard and CPU), I'd be screwed out of it and be back on home. That true?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been loosely looking at that Windows 10 Pro upgrade option via the Windows Store, for Hyper-V and native remote desktop. While currently rather not, it seems like price is coming down very slowly. However I just read on some third parts sites that the Pro upgrade would be tied to the PC (well, rather what identifies it) and current installation, if I were to significantly upgrade my box (mainboard and CPU), I'd be screwed out of it and be back on home. That true?

It would definitely become a "digital license" the same way licenses from the free upgrade from Windows 7/8 are. However those should become tied to your MS account, not just the hardware, so as long as you are signed in with an MS account you should have a good chance of getting a re-activation even after a major upgrade. (Check the "Activation" page under Update & security in the Settings app. It has your current license type and whether it's tied to an account.)

Whether you will actually be able to re-activate after an upgrade with a digital license, yeah that's entirely a gamble.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, well, my W10 Home license is already a digital one. This is going to be fun eventually. --edit: Yeah, says linked to my Microsoft account.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh Pro wont downgrade by itself ever. On the other hand, digital licenses are stuck with the hardware they are activated with. So you would probably need to toss a Windows 7 Pro license key at the new hardware and let Microsoft digitally entitle it. Or just buy another Win 10 Pro license.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm. Well, I'll cross that bridge when it gets to that. I'll be hanging onto that mainboard and CPU combo for a while.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 11, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why do my sound mixer levels keep changing?(!!!)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ufarn posted:

Why do my sound mixer levels keep changing?(!!!)

By default Windows does this thing where it adjusts volume when it 'detects communications activity'. Are you getting the issue when running Teamspeak/Skype/etc.?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

isndl posted:

By default Windows does this thing where it adjusts volume when it 'detects communications activity'. Are you getting the issue when running Teamspeak/Skype/etc.?
Discord seems to be the only app that doesn't get its volume adjusted. I understand that it might turn down audio during use, but I'd think it turn the volume back up again. I'll try to turn off Discord attenuation and see if this nonsense stops.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ufarn posted:

Discord seems to be the only app that doesn't get its volume adjusted. I understand that it might turn down audio during use, but I'd think it turn the volume back up again. I'll try to turn off Discord attenuation and see if this nonsense stops.
The point is that there's a Windows setting under sound, on the communications tab as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

The point is that there's a Windows setting under sound, on the communications tab as well.
So it's the Windows setting, not the Discord setting, that causes this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ufarn posted:

So it's the Windows setting, not the Discord setting, that causes this?
I've never used Discord, so I don't know what the setting there does. The Windows setting does this:

isndl posted:

By default Windows does this thing where it adjusts volume when it 'detects communications activity'.
This means it reduces the volume of everything else in the mixer and doesn't bring it back up.

Just try it and see if it makes a difference.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
is there any way to keep Windows 10 from forcing the "restart outside of normal hours" to finish updates or whatever? It's caused me to lose work twice now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

is there any way to keep Windows 10 from forcing the "restart outside of normal hours" to finish updates or whatever? It's caused me to lose work twice now.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain but it seems to work for now.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-permanently-stop-windows-10-reboots-after-installing-updates/

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Has anyone else suddenly had their audio just go to poo poo? Realtek HD Audio Driver, and stuff is just tinny and awful lately, whereas before everything was fine. It's driving me loving crazy because everything sounds absolutely horrid.

e: usb headphones sounds a TON better so it's either the Realtek card or my headphones. Gonna troubleshoot but would love to know if anyone else has had this issue.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just to be contrary, I still can't get my tablet to automatically reboot for updates. I left it sitting fully charged all of yesterday, nothing open, outside of the configured active hours, and when I picked it up in the evening it warned me about requiring a restart soon.

(On the other hand, everyone complaining about restarts happening automatically while they're working must be ignoring those gigantic full screen warnings?!)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My PC is starting to reboot unexpectedly when I'm in video games. It's really random in terms of how often it happens (can be after minutes or after 100's of minutes). It's only in 3D games so I think it's related to the graphics card (a GTX 980) but it never had problem before and I haven't changed anything except for updating drivers.

Is there an event log somewhere in Win10 I could use to investigate? Or enable some view or more detailed login? The default "event viewer" isn't very helpful in my case ; it only says there's been an unscheduled reboot but there's no entry before that would point me to the right direction.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This does not work. I did the whole process again, including with the file ownership / permissions, but windows still turned the reboot task on. (And the file was not modified, so there's some alternate thing windows is doing. Or maybe tasks can be changed in memory and the file is only to save settings across reboots. Anyways, it's useless.)

If you have Pro, use GPedit to set updates to notify only.

Furism posted:

My PC is starting to reboot unexpectedly when I'm in video games. It's really random in terms of how often it happens (can be after minutes or after 100's of minutes). It's only in 3D games so I think it's related to the graphics card (a GTX 980) but it never had problem before and I haven't changed anything except for updating drivers.

Is there an event log somewhere in Win10 I could use to investigate? Or enable some view or more detailed login? The default "event viewer" isn't very helpful in my case ; it only says there's been an unscheduled reboot but there's no entry before that would point me to the right direction.
Video-game-only hard reboots are a classic sign of hardware trouble. You could get a program like speedfan or whatever monitoring software your mobo maker has to look at power and temperature while gaming. And try swapping PSUs if you have one spare.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Furism posted:

First thing I would check is the power supply. A straight GPU problem would usually be throwing blue screens and event log errors, but if the power supply is dying under load it would cause a brownout and the system would reset as described.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

isndl posted:

First thing I would check is the power supply. A straight GPU problem would usually be throwing blue screens and event log errors, but if the power supply is dying under load it would cause a brownout and the system would reset as described.

Would that also be true for the system occasionally hard locking, with no indication of any issue in Event Viewer? It's usually while playing a game, but not always. If so, is there any way to tell or would I just need to buy a new PSU and see how it fares?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Would that also be true for the system occasionally hard locking, with no indication of any issue in Event Viewer? It's usually while playing a game, but not always. If so, is there any way to tell or would I just need to buy a new PSU and see how it fares?

I doubt it's a PSU problem in that case, I think a hard lock usually implies some sort of code execution problem. CPU damage or hardware incompatibility, perhaps? I'd take it to the Haus for more in-depth analysis.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Furism posted:

These were the exact symptoms when my power supply died. Most modern motherboards have a bios setting to turn off / restart in response to fluctuating power in order to protect the other components of your computer. If your PSU is starting to fail, it may no longer be able to provide steady paper under load. This is my guess for what's happening, but it's not the only possible cause.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2016

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Has anyone else suddenly had their audio just go to poo poo? Realtek HD Audio Driver, and stuff is just tinny and awful lately, whereas before everything was fine. It's driving me loving crazy because everything sounds absolutely horrid.

e: usb headphones sounds a TON better so it's either the Realtek card or my headphones. Gonna troubleshoot but would love to know if anyone else has had this issue.

This poo poo right here is making me want to go back to Windows 7. The audio sounds absolutely terrible and crackly. The only way I've found to temporarily alleviate the issue is to check then uncheck "disable all sound effects" in the sound control panel under speakers. It also goes away if you click the advanced tab then change the sample rate from 24bit 48000hz to anything else, then back to what it was.Still having issues even after updating to a driver from 11/30/16. I browse this thread from time to time as people seem to have similar issues, but I haven't seen any concrete fixes yet.I never encountered this issue on 7 or 8 and I've updated everything I can think of.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

On Dec. 13 I successfully updated Windows 10 to KB3206632. However, due to viral infection, I had to perform a clean re-install on it yesterday. After the installation and updates are finished, the update history says the latest installed is KB3199986. Check For Updates does not give me any results.
I attempted to install KB3206632 by itself from the catalog. However installation stops with a message saying that version is already installed. Any ideas? I'm perfectly happy to sit on this older update until the next one.

My computer isn't imploding from this, so that's why I didn't post this over at Haus.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

On Dec. 13 I successfully updated Windows 10 to KB3206632. However, due to viral infection, I had to perform a clean re-install on it yesterday. After the installation and updates are finished, the update history says the latest installed is KB3199986. Check For Updates does not give me any results.
I attempted to install KB3206632 by itself from the catalog. However installation stops with a message saying that version is already installed. Any ideas? I'm perfectly happy to sit on this older update until the next one.

My computer isn't imploding from this, so that's why I didn't post this over at Haus.

Did you run a virus scan? I mean, for your infection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Furism posted:

If you're getting BSODs first, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html is handy. But if it's just rebooting then like everyone else has said it's almost certainly hardware failure somewhere along the chain, and Windows won't get any warning to record information before it's killed. (I'd be tempted to check your GPU/CPU temperatures, by the way.)