Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Was this scene supposed to be a burn on Americans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CoolCab posted:

the more of this i hear the more it feels like dwarf fortress patch notes

Yyyyep.

MANime in the sheets posted:

I had a book years ago written by some crazy German dude about how, in 1940 and 1941, the Germans were massing on their eastern border merely as a defensive measure, and barely pre-empted an attack from Stalin by a matter of weeks. In fact the Russians were more aggressively deployed, provoked the Germans, etc. etc.

I was taught this in an introductory lecture in my first (and only) semester of Eastern European History in Heidelberg ca. 2001.

e: it was taught by some crusty emeritus.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 9, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SimonCat posted:

Was this scene supposed to be a burn on Americans?

It's a dig at monarchists/traditionalists and could be a not only a reference to the radical socalist views of the seventies as well but also the series of civil wars of the 17th century which was basically a struggle between divine right and parliament.

Or it is just a dig at democracy you nerd. Pick!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

How... How does the author think agriculture worked with no concept of time?

I think his justification is that they understood the concept of days passing, but nobody had calender's except the royalty and major churches so peasants would just vaguely figure out harvesting and planting times by the weather and checking the crops. Otherwise they passed their whole lives away not even knowing what year it was and barely being able to tell anyone how old they were.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Has anyone seen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tiger_%282012_film%29 ?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to read this horrible book now.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

That's Suvorov's Icebreaker.

And hes Russian, not German. Beyond the obvious appeal to Nazis, it's popular with Stalinists as well because it makes it seem like the Soviet Union was caught off guard due to focusing on offensive preparations and not due to Stalin being completely and totally suckered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Enderby posted:

btw, A World Lit Only by Fire also claims that peasants didn't wear any clothes in the summer.

In what loving part of the world?

Where does the loving author live that has a: a history with peasants in it, and b: a tropical climate?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr Enderby posted:

btw, A World Lit Only by Fire also claims that peasants didn't wear any clothes in the summer.

Sounds like the author did a lot of drugs

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe there's a typo and he meant to talk about pheasants.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Maybe there's a typo and he meant to talk about pheasants.

By that logic its implied the pheasants wear clothes when it isn't summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Have you checked?

E: More importantly, can you cite a published work that says they don't? I'm afraid we don't accept original research.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I dunno, doggy sweaters are pretty common nowadays. Maybe pheasant sweaters were common back then? :cheeky:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

I dunno, doggy sweaters are pretty common nowadays. Maybe pheasant sweaters were common back then? :cheeky:

The internet does not have pheasants dressed up as the swiss guard or as soldiers, so I can't confirm that they existed. :(

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Peasants working the fields in the nude isn't as far-fetched as you guys make it out to be. Clothes were expensive and a peasant might only have a few articles of clothing to their name so it wouldn't be a bad idea to just not wear them if you're doing something in warm part of the year. This was probably more common with the men folk, of course. I haven't read AWLOBF, so I don't know if the author actually has evidence for it or not, but you guys are acting like somebody at the bottom rung of society with nothing to lose by tilling his fields in the nude is out of the question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think that wandering around naked would probably get you in trouble with the local clergy at that point in history.

Also I would suggest that someone doing manual labour without something covering the fundament does have something to lose, and if they don't it's only because they already lost it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You absolutely do not want to be working in the fields naked. Shirtless, sure, but holy poo poo, you need something below the belt.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

my dad posted:

You absolutely do not want to be working in the fields naked. Shirtless, sure, but holy poo poo, you need something below the belt.
This guy knows what's up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, if you haven't ever tried doing hard work without your trousers I recommend doing it once, so that you understand why you don't want to do it again.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

You really dont want to work in the fields without a shirt either, you need that shirt to protect you from the sun or you will end up significantly unwell.

E: You also want a hat if at all possible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That part depends on the weather and climate.

itt, nerds try to talk about farming :v:

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

This guy knows what's up.

If it's up, the priest will definitely have something to say about it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, so you've readded a shirt, a hat and pants. But there's no reason they couldn't be wearing some sort of sexy assless chaps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Polyakov posted:

You really dont want to work in the fields without a shirt either, you need that shirt to protect you from the sun or you will end up significantly unwell.

Not to mention that most people find getting their clothes dirty preferable to getting their skin dirty. Laundry wasn't done often by medieval peasants, but they still did it when they had time and when it was necessary (though it wasn't until very recently that we had dyes that wouldn't run out and soaps less harsh than lye, so good luck keeping your clothing from looking dull and colorless if you weren't rich as hell).

Nudity wasn't a huge deal until the Christian expansion across Europe, at which point they started pasting fig leafs over naked statues and only depicting your balls in painting if you were supposed to be damned to hell. As soon as it became unacceptable to swing your dick around in public, I don't think you'd get many peasants working the fields looking like Olympic athletes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Peasants working the fields in the nude isn't as far-fetched as you guys make it out to be. Clothes were expensive and a peasant might only have a few articles of clothing to their name so it wouldn't be a bad idea to just not wear them if you're doing something in warm part of the year. This was probably more common with the men folk, of course. I haven't read AWLOBF, so I don't know if the author actually has evidence for it or not, but you guys are acting like somebody at the bottom rung of society with nothing to lose by tilling his fields in the nude is out of the question.

Nothing except awful sunburns, abrasions that get infected and lead to death, etc. Clothing isn't for modesty, it's for protection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if your dick actually swings around you'd probably get laughed at by the Greeks anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phanatic posted:

Clothing isn't for modesty, it's for protection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also for intimidating your enemy with how loving pimp you look.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Nude working peasants sounds like one of those ideas you can only get if you have never done any honest work in your life. I mean, how removed do you have to be from normal life before writing this poo poo down unironically stops being weird?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is probably a fun alegory for all the Gay Black Hitler scenarios.

Well, if you ignore sunstroke, sunburns, just how ridiculously sharp dry plant matter can be, just how dangerous infected cuts from farming tools can be, just how much dirt and worse you'd end up with in every crevice, etc, it's not hard to imagine farming work being done butt naked. Now, as for how Hitler totally could have invaded USA... :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean i do have a calendar with lots of photographs of naked farmers riding on tractors and carrying hay bales and it does look very appealing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

This is probably a fun alegory for all the Gay Black Hitler scenarios.

Well, if you ignore sunstroke, sunburns, just how ridiculously sharp dry plant matter can be, just how dangerous infected cuts from farming tools can be, just how much dirt and worse you'd end up with in every crevice, etc, it's not hard to imagine farming work being done butt naked. Now, as for how Hitler totally could have invaded USA... :v:
insects, all you fuckers, INSECTS

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Modern American farming is mostly done from the comfort of air-conditioned combine harvesters and tractors; the main danger they face is that their ipod's battery runs out before they finish the north 400. Could totally be done naked.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Polyakov posted:

Not just sun but good god I abhore the idea of being eaten alive by horseflies! But you wear what you can, and sometimes I believe it must have resembled what Eero Järnefelt depicted on this slash and burn farmer in 1893. A famine had struck Finland and the painter wanted to show the rural folks' plight. I don't know at what point does a shirt cease to being a shirt and becomes a collection of separate threads but this isn't very far from it.

HEY GAL posted:

:gonk:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 9, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yup, anyone who insists that you can farm naked hasn't actually ever been to a field.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good god just walking around pants-less in long grass would be excruciating. Like the tips of the blades of grass constantly poking your bits, nonstop. :gonk:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fangz posted:

That's Suvorov's Icebreaker.

No, that definitely wasn't it. Also I'm pretty sure that is not a German name.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

What do you think the "worse" in "dirt and worse in every crevice" was? :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh god, don't tell me someone else picked up that idiot's opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I finally got around to my Crimean War 101 by finishing Trevor Royle's history of the conflict.

It's funny to see how early Napoleon III's Imperial middle management style taking root so early, sad to see old Raglan five minutes from retirement more or less putting up with the insanity and just general sad horrible pity to the British, French, Russian, Ottoman and Sardinian soldiers who all took turns starving, getting ravaged by cholera and waiting for the conflict to end.

(my favourite bit was when the infantry of the light division got confused during the battle of Alma by Russians showing up in their flank who they thought they were French soldiers so they awkwardly withdrawed right into the column all the blue balled British Guards moving up. Truly a glorious moment).