Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

lets hang out posted:

dragon quest is really good though

Especially with all the writing, slightest NPC chatter, it's the opposite of FF games since forever (which makes sense since it's Enix's baby). I want them to bash their heads together properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Is the Bow of the Clever + Overwhelm combo a bug or is it intentional because whew it's so good

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Is Ebony coffee in the game? I feel Ignis deserves it.

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
Man, the feels at the end when the title screen updates to include noctis

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe it's wow syndrome, but does anyone else complete all the quests in a zone before moving on with the main quest?

Also I'm lvl35 in chapter 3, things are stupid easy.

Where do I get a courel whisker so I can upgrade my engine blade?

I was level 61 with Noctis when I moved on from Chapter 3 so yeah, lol.

Coeurl Whiskers upgrade the Drain Lance, not the Engine Blade. You get them from Coeruls. There is a hunt for them but you have to fight five and it sucks. There is a lone Coeurl up by the second Royal Arms dungeon you could try farming though.

Having leveled up way too much early on doing optional stuff, I agree the best advice is to kind of power through to chapter 6-8 so you have more tools to play with for the harder content. Having a summon in Costlemark might have made the basement a little more tolerable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's also appeal in pushing through chapters just so that Ignis will drive at night (I believe it's story-gated).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's also appeal in pushing through chapters just so that Ignis will drive at night (I believe it's story-gated).

I can't remember when exactly it happened for me in the story, but I coincidentally had just taken down my first Iron Giant spawn at night so I figured it was connected to that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ApplesandOranges posted:

I got it during chapter 3.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I finished it and soured a lot on it torwards the end. The game lost me in Altissia and I just got more and more confused.

If I don't know who the Villain is and what his goal is,why should I care? The story is such a mess.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I gotta say the combat is at its best both in one-on-one boss combat and huge battles with tons of enemies. I loved the optional stronghold sidequest in Leide with just waves and waves of Imperials to fight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, I beat it. That mid-credits scene..really got me. poo poo. Heck.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Is Ebony coffee in the game? I feel Ignis deserves it.

Sometimes Noct will pass him one from the back, he'll take a few sips and then put it in the cup holder for the rest of that trip.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The facial animation during the final camping scene was probably the best I've ever seen in a game. Apart from LA Noire's weird face mocap thing anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

The facial animation during the final camping scene was probably the best I've ever seen in a game. Apart from LA Noire's weird face mocap thing anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPvx8VUSDw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like how you can tell he's trying not to laugh at one point during that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Grimace posted:

That's an extremely helpful tip to know, thanks.

In the Titan fight I was like, "Why am I in danger? It doesn't do any damage to me... OH."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RatHat posted:

Am I somehow using it wrong or is Gladio's Cyclone skill just awful? Does crap damage and doesn't have a follow up attack for Noctis.

Look for him to create a point warp afterwards. It's pretty powerful just really slow and awkward and I don't understand what the first half of the attack has to do with the second.

Also TRY NOT TO GET SPUN AROUND is a real dumb line and I'm sick of hearing it.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beat Adamantoise. Took me about an hour and a half. You can basically just stand next to his front left foot and beat on him forever without taking much damage.

The Bow\Overwhelm combo did like 350 damage per hit, so I had to just wail on it forever.

I beat almost all of the other optional content as well. Sadly, I think I'm done with this amazing game. :saddowns:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bear is driving! posted:

Beat Adamantoise. Took me about an hour and a half. You can basically just stand next to his front left foot and beat on him forever without taking much damage.

The Bow\Overwhelm combo did like 350 damage per hit, so I had to just wail on it forever.

I beat almost all of the other optional content as well. Sadly, I think I'm done with this amazing game. :saddowns:

Until the updates and DLC

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Onmi posted:

Until the updates and DLC

I think I'm actually going to pick it up and play it again on PS4. I watched a friend play it and it looks quite a bit better. However in my experience most games tend to look a little better on the PS4.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone give me pointers for Totomostro? I want to get the best fishing reel but I'm not sure if I should buy the $$$ horns prior to starting out or not.

The horns aren't all that useful. I found I used the starter horn the most (it restores HP), and then the horn for increased attack. I had the horn that clears status ailments, but only used it once on my way to 800k tokens.

As for betting, make a save before you begin. I bought 2000 tokens to start and savescummed until I got the hang of things. It was easy to go on a long winning streak once you know what you're doing. And bring able up only bet 10k at a time helps you from going bankrupt, even if it slows down your winnings.

There are 4 things up consider when betting: condition, monster level, monster type, and number of monsters. Condition is hugely important and affects the monster's HP, attack, and defense. There are 5 levels of condition indicated by the little triangles. A monster at condition 5 can wreck something twice its level at condition 1. If the difference in level of condition is 2 or less then it has a much lower effect on the outcome.

Monster level of course affects things like in any RPG. Try to pick the higher level when possible, but weigh it against other factors as it's not the most important factor. Monster type is probably the most important along with condition. Always bet on the coeurl when possible because it's a powerhouse. I only saw it lose once and that was when it was at condition 1 in a 4-way melee.

The other monster types I saw that were successful (can't remember their exact names) were the pack of dogs (they're nimble and attack often), the armored beast, the single giant scorpion, and the big elephant. Generally, the more monsters in a group the better. It means they're more likely to win a war of attrition in a 4-way fight and can attack all the more often.

Avoid betting on bugs (gently caress the centipedes, they're super weak), the group of scorpions, the group of skeletons, and herbivores (like the giraffe type monsters). After a few rounds you'll get a good idea which types are strong and which ones are perennial losers.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The top tier monsters are the ones who rip you apart in game, think Cactuar (who imo is the best arena monster), Coeurl, Tonberry, and so on. I've spent 2 hours in there and turned 1k medals into over a million :yayclod: If the monsters all seem kinda even, condition and odds are the next best indicator of who might win.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So how much of this game was cut? They created Altissia and Insomnia but they were basically never used. You never even interact with Lunafreya so when she got shanked i was more bemused than anything. Unless i missed something a lot of the character like Regis, the Emperor and Ravus barely or never show up. Also C14the timeskip seemed completely pointless. How does Noctis sleeping for 10 years make him more kingly? Wouldn't he still be 18 mentally? Seemed like a waste of resources to make those assets unless again large parts of the game were cut. It feels like they got the engine and mechanics working but forgot to make a story to go in it so just filled it with bear rear end hunt quests.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man the Titan animation is really bad compared to the other summons.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
*finds wounded chocobo with an inventory full of hi-potions, elixirs, etc*

"fresh out of meds"

I needed a potion apparently.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

*finds wounded chocobo with an inventory full of hi-potions, elixirs, etc*

"fresh out of meds"

I needed a potion apparently.

Always carry around a few spare repair kits too!

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The most annoying thing about this game is having to press two buttons to have a lock on stick. It makes no sense for it to be this way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

slev posted:

The most annoying thing about this game is having to press two buttons to have a lock on stick. It makes no sense for it to be this way.

I do wish there was a menu option for lockon to be a toggle, though I don't like perma lockon in big battles. I've never used Wait mode so maybe it's easier that way.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

CJ posted:

Also C14the timeskip seemed completely pointless. How does Noctis sleeping for 10 years make him more kingly? Wouldn't he still be 18 mentally? Seemed like a waste of resources to make those assets unless again large parts of the game were cut.

I interpreted it not so much as Noctis sleeping, but reflecting on his life and his role as king. In the Crystal dimension or wherever he was time probably flowed differently so he wasn't aware of what was going on in the world. It's like the final campfire scene where Noctis says that he made his peace; I don't think it happened in the few hours from Talcott picking him up to them sitting around the campfire. He made his peace while in the Crystal, coming to terms with the fact that he had to sacrifice his life to cleanse the world. If he hadn't worked through that then I doubt he would have ever woken because I think the Crystal only let him out once it was sure he had the resolve to go through with it.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't excuse the generally poor writing from Chapter 9 onwards, but I think there are enough details there to interpret that part.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think I'm moving through the story too slowly, since my party are all level 33-34 and I'm on the first actual quest after meeting Iris. I upgraded the drain lance to 2 and the engine blade to 3, but everything else is from the shop in Lestallum, lol. But the side quests are so plentiful and chill. Hey boys, can you go and grab an onion from my farm an hour away?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I guess SE forgot how to make an open world game. Level scaling exists to combat this very problem.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SettingSun posted:

I guess SE forgot how to make an open world game. Level scaling exists to combat this very problem.

No thanks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SettingSun posted:

Coeurls

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Wait til you fight Cactuars, Tonberries and the poo poo that comes out of Magitek Engines later in the game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda wish you could actually see what your weapons looked like

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Levels don't help as much as other FFs either. Like a swarm of crabs can still smash a Noct's face in even if he's substantially stronger.

The best benefit of more levels is the added health.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Levels don't help as much as other FFs either. Like a swarm of crabs can still smash a Noct's face in even if he's substantially stronger.

The best benefit of more levels is the added health.

There is also a food you can eat (i'm at work so the name escapes me) that gives a property that increases damage based on level difference.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I kinda wish you could actually see what your weapons looked like

Press square/X when the weapon is equipped. Still it's dumb that you can't preview it from the weapons list.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Shoren posted:

I interpreted it not so much as Noctis sleeping, but reflecting on his life and his role as king. In the Crystal dimension or wherever he was time probably flowed differently so he wasn't aware of what was going on in the world. It's like the final campfire scene where Noctis says that he made his peace; I don't think it happened in the few hours from Talcott picking him up to them sitting around the campfire. He made his peace while in the Crystal, coming to terms with the fact that he had to sacrifice his life to cleanse the world. If he hadn't worked through that then I doubt he would have ever woken because I think the Crystal only let him out once it was sure he had the resolve to go through with it.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't excuse the generally poor writing from Chapter 9 onwards, but I think there are enough details there to interpret that part.

Would be cool if he could make his peace that during the course of the game rather than during an off camera timeskip.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

bear is driving! posted:

:yikes:

I might just do what I did with Yiazmat and say I theoretically could beat it, and therefore I did.

SettingSun posted:

FF8 did this and it made leveling up actively detrimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Shoren posted:

Press square/X when the weapon is equipped. Still it's dumb that you can't preview it from the weapons list.

I think it's R3 or L3 to compare weapons which will show you the weapon graphic.

I think l1+r1 to activate Goku mode is the hardest for me. I have to hit it a couple times for it to finally stick instead of bringing up the tech menu. I think a control type change would fix this maybe but I don't feel like changing after 50 hours.

• Locked thread