Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

For all the complaining Spider's done about Johnny Crain, he really didn't try very hard to recruit this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Ugh, I'm trying to be sassy and smart about this but gently caress, this comic sucks.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I hope he's got a good harness for that dog that he hasn't put on yet, or else there's animal cruelty on Ballard Street

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cripes, Gilchrist has a thing for "You are what you eat" gags. I still remember the one he did for the Muppets strip like twenty years ago with the janitor going "I don't look like peanut butter!".

Batman and Robin

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

I don't get this. I assume it's horribly offensive to Scots.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Take it slow." Just once, I'd like Mary to say something like "Just jump right on top of him you probably won't get a chance like this again."

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah. That's the kind of reaction I'd expect from a parent whose child has just been hit by a car finding out that the driver of that car was being negligent.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

In the darkness, a hippie waits. The professor only notices he's not alone when he detects the scent of patchouli in the air as he enters.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah. That's the kind of reaction I'd expect from a parent whose child has just been hit by a car finding out that the driver of that car was being negligent.

So the bus driver was on his phone too, then?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I think the syndicate panicked when they saw how much Ces was shaking things up in JP and demanded the Rex Morgan writer do the same thing, but he has no idea how to write tragedy.

"Okay, good, something bad happened, we're getting somewhere. Now how do the other characters react to this?"

"They're, uh... sad?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Of course, Team Evans did not draw said twig or smudge because that would ruin the perfect beautiful wedding.

The Amazing Spider-Man

"Aww, poo poo, the Fantastic Four? They're way better superheroes than I am! Goddamn... guess I might as well try webbing you or something."

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

She already did?

quote:

Bizarro

Registered pedophile reported at park dressed as snowman.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tunicate posted:

So the bus driver was on his phone too, then?

I assume he took the phone out when he was fully stopped. Not sure why they didn't just go with "the bus has a safety camera for this reason," because that's a pretty common thing now.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Of course, Team Evans did not draw said twig or smudge because that would ruin the perfect beautiful wedding.

Luann looks like she's wearing a child-size dress over top of an adult-size dress.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's All Right Chief Dharma

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

Not the best example because of time frames, but to say they have changed little is an understatement as there have been enough changes during our history to affect the use of stars for navigation. And if the nation of Australia still exists in A.D. 50k then they will need to revise their flag.

cross edit

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

The old stereotype of Scots is that they're taciturn cheapskates. I assume he's using "close" as in "close-mouthed"?

Buni

Panel 5: Buni dies of allergies.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

treasureplane posted:

Alley Oop (December 27, 1933)

Hey, I'm enjoying these fine historical offerings - classic Nancy, King Aroo, and Alley Oop have particularly grown on me - but is there any chance they can be posted a bit larger or more legible? I'd understand if your source is just that way.

In other news I crusade against Working Daze to save some of you from yourselves. Bad webcomics have no place here and Zachary Nixon Johnson was, to my memory, also a bad webcomic, so that trash nerd author has no place posting here. Do not "hate read." "Hate reading" feeds the beast and comes from your own unwillingness to admit to enjoying garbage. Pibgofn and Luann and whatever else trash I can scroll past, sure, but that's because they're products of actual newspaper content creators.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

"God, I'm tired of drawing all those lines on Spider-Man's costume. I wonder if anyone would notice if I just stopped?"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SuperKlaus posted:

In other news I crusade against Working Daze to save some of you from yourselves. Bad webcomics have no place here and Zachary Nixon Johnson was, to my memory, also a bad webcomic, so that trash nerd author has no place posting here. Do not "hate read." "Hate reading" feeds the beast and comes from your own unwillingness to admit to enjoying garbage. Pibgofn and Luann and whatever else trash I can scroll past, sure, but that's because they're products of actual newspaper content creators.

I have to agree. I know this is a big-tent megathread and all, but I get annoyed at people replying to recurring complaints about meritless junk with "just scroll" when these are strips that no one would ever miss.

I still keep up with the political cartoons thread so I'm definitely trapped in at least one hate-reading vortex myself, but when they banned "Day by Day" from that thread I instantly became a happier, healthier person. (If you don't know DbD, don't bother to look it up; it was the product of a right-wing hikikomori Floridian pretending to be a badass Texan and deemed too hateful, gross, and valueless for a thread about the political opinions of literal drunk drivers, wife-beaters, and MRA skinheads.)

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Shugojin posted:

I hope he's got a good harness for that dog that he hasn't put on yet, or else there's animal cruelty on Ballard Street

I love how the dog look at the neighbours all "you monsters! You just encourage him!"

Please keep posting. I unironically love Ballard Street.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Walker posted:

Selachian posted:

The old stereotype of Scots is that they're taciturn cheapskates. I assume he's using "close" as in "close-mouthed"?

I think it's just that Scots are a close race to Englishmen, because they're neighbours and thus related though racially different, and the illustrated comical joke is made of early 20th century WASP jokes. Nowadays the mainstream definition of race is equivalent to colour of skin, but in the hey-day of racism it was also skull measurements and other such metrics. Every village can be considered to be its own race if they're inbred enough.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Toni, a cream-colored wedding dress, huh?

I don't understand how that smiley bottle is meant to represent his wish to become a pussy magnet.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Selachian posted:

Buni

Panel 5: Buni dies of allergies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Luann's dress really is incredibly loving hideous.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Jesus Christ Lester, are you going out of your way to be racist in the most overt way possible? What the hell is wrong with your editor?

Edit: also great loving job copy pasting your racist caricature six times in three strips.

Coatlicue fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 10, 2016

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Johnny Walker posted:

Scots are, supposedly, close with their money, that is to say, tightfisted, stingy, mean, etc.
See: https://books.google.com/books?id=L...oney%22&f=false

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set keeps its jaw moving.

Working Daze is an unfit parent.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix wasn't supposed to say that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is an unfit parent.

Look at that baby's face. It's loving terrified of him.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Twelve by Pies posted:

Look at that baby's face. It's loving terrified of him.

She's just on a good run! Mutant spider, binky, and Pj's are a good starting set of items!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey, I'm enjoying these fine historical offerings - classic Nancy, King Aroo, and Alley Oop have particularly grown on me - but is there any chance they can be posted a bit larger or more legible? I'd understand if your source is just that way.

Thanks! I know what you mean -- Gasoline Alley and Alley Oop, in particular, can get close to illegible sometimes. Unfortunately, I've scanned enough of each of these to last me at least another five months, so I won't be able to change things up any time soon. I'll make sure to increase the size during the next round of scanning, though.

King Aroo (November 16, 1951)

Nancy (December 31, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 30, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 28, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 28, 1937)

Barney Google (September 29, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 29, 1933)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Come on Nancy, that air is for the war effort. Now how are the boys stomping the krauts gonna re-inflate their tires?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"Oh, you're out of Earl Grey?" *disappears for another 3 months*

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the guy who does Piranha Soup 102 years old or something?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Fingerpori

E.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

Isn't this literally a joke from Life of Brian?

• Locked thread