Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

The Ion Cannon on Hoth is also a death star

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

The Ion Cannon on Hoth is also a death star

Okay, now you're just trolling.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

Okay, now you're just trolling.

I'm honestly not

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm honestly not

So are TIE fighters Death Stars since they're round and shoot lasers?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I am a Death Star (and so can you!)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Everything is a death star when you think about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

So are TIE fighters Death Stars since they're round and shoot lasers?

Don't be ridiculous. They're little black cuckballs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a question of scale. They're Death Protoplanets at best. Easily mistaken for Death Planets in some circumstances!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is like when we argue about whether people need to write "in my opinion" before every post. When someone says that Starkiller Base was another Death Star, its obvious what they mean. Well, it should be.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
BB-8 is almost certainly a Death Starkiller Base.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Except it is made explicitly clear that it is not a Death Star. Do I need to post the actual clip where this is established?

It isn't established, actually. The fact that they don't call it a Death Star doesn't mean it isn't one. Do they actually say "no, it's not a Death Star?" Like, you're arguing that a Concorde is not a jet, because they call it a "Concorde" very clearly and show a schematic of it comparing it to a smaller passenger jet. In every way -- how it looks, what it does in the plot, how it is meant to bring new fans to the iconic imagery and old fans to their Happy Nerding Grounds, how it gets destroyed -- it is a Death Star. The second Death Star is bigger than the first, right? So it's not even distinguished by size, only by the different name.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Death Star is a Galaxy S7.
The Death Star 2 is a Galaxy S7 Edge.
Starkiller Base is a Galaxy Note 7.

They have a fatal flaw that makes them blow up, you see. :smugdog:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Don't one of the characters in the movie call it a "Death Star, only bigger"?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

It isn't established, actually. The fact that they don't call it a Death Star doesn't mean it isn't one. Do they actually say "no, it's not a Death Star?" Like, you're arguing that a Concorde is not a jet, because they call it a "Concorde" very clearly and show a schematic of it comparing it to a smaller passenger jet. In every way -- how it looks, what it does in the plot, how it is meant to bring new fans to the iconic imagery and old fans to their Happy Nerding Grounds, how it gets destroyed -- it is a Death Star. The second Death Star is bigger than the first, right? So it's not even distinguished by size, only by the different name.

Here's what jivjov is being obtuse about.

code:
			  MAJOR EMATT
                          (HORRIBLE MEMORIES)
           It's another Death Star.

POE
           I wish that were the case, Major.
          Poe hits a control. A WIREFRAME OF THE DEATH STAR APPEARS.

POE (CONT'D)
           This was the Death Star.
          Poe hits another control -- the Death Star SHRINKS -- AND
          SHRINKS AND SHRINKS, as the SURFACE AREA OF THE STARKILLER

BASE IS DRAWN INTO A LARGER IMAGE, REVEALING THE ENTIRE BASE
          PLANET. The Death Star is a minuscule SATELLITE in
          comparison.

POE (CONT'D)
           This is Starkiller Base.
So one character says it's another Death Star, and Poe says actually, that's not true.

But, like...c'mon, man, you know what everyone is saying. It is essentially, and for the purposes of the story, "another Death Star".

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah, but my peeve is that they didnt mention Death Star 2 as a comparison to show that the first was teeny tiny, the second a lot bigger, then Star Killer base being biggest of all, etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Don't one of the characters in the movie call it a "Death Star, only bigger"?

My god, a Death Red Giant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm not sure it's "several" times, but sure.
Sorry, I conflated your posts with another historian ITT.

Friendly Factory posted:

You also can't return to a thing that didn't exist before.
True, which is why it's tragic when coalitions are built around the idea. Make the Republic Great Again. It's weird how many characters in this "Republic" are nobility, or have royal or feudal titles--queen, princess, count, knight.

The Separatists are libertarian capitalists who want to secede from the Republic, so that they can exploit their slaves in peace--which is why it's perfectly fitting that Count Dooku is their leader. (Dracula's a Jedi master, but no one uses that title.)

Scratch a libertarian and find a feudalist. The distinction between ideology and organization is important here, too. The antebellum South wasn't feudalist in organization, but idolized Walter Scott. Libertarian thinkers like Hans Hermann Hoppe essentially advocate for a return to feudalism; libertopians fantasize about building citadels in the middle of nowhere. So it's quite natural that Count Dracula becomes the leader of a Corporate Alliance.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah, but my peeve is that they didnt mention Death Star 2 as a comparison to show that the first was teeny tiny, the second a lot bigger, then Star Killer base being biggest of all, etc.
They should've started with the ball turrets on Republic gunships, which were pretty overt references to the Death Star.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ash1138 posted:

They should've started with the ball turrets on Republic gunships, which were pretty overt references to the Death Star.

Or the big trade federation Death Stars on Geonosis that were shot down by green republic Death Star lasers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ey, jivjov. What does it mean for something to be a Death Star?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

UmOk posted:

Or the big trade federation Death Stars on Geonosis that were shot down by green republic Death Star lasers.

It's like poetry.....

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ey, jivjov. What does it mean for something to be a Death Star?

Or, to ask another way: if the second Death Star had been exactly the same except that it was called the Murder Ball, would that make it not a Death Star?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey everybody the racists finally came out of the woodwork against Rogue One

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phi230 posted:

hey everybody the racists finally came out of the woodwork against Rogue One
I know better than to ask what they are complaining about.

What are they complaining about?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Two of the writers tried to get their goat on Twitter and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. What are they going to do with this goat now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raxivace posted:

Without looking, that there are more than just white people in it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

They did the same thing with TFA and it amounted to nothing because no one cares about these dorks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I'll go ahead and link you the articles because explaining this poo poo makes me feel gross

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/08/alt-right-neo-nazis-discover-true-meaning-of-star-wars-wage-dumpstarwars-campaign.html

‘Alt-Right’ Trumpsters Discover True Meaning of ‘Star Wars,’ Wage #DumpStarWars Campaign

beest posted:

Forty years after its debut, ‘Star Wars’ has been at last discovered as an anti-Nazi fable by the so-called alt-right (translation: white supremacists), who now plan to boycott ‘Rogue One.’

http://www.pajiba.com/star_wars/altnazis-are-boycotting-rogue-one-because-its-feminist-antiwhite-degenerate-trash-.php

Alt-Nazis Are Boycotting 'Rogue One' Because It's 'Feminist, Anti-White Degenerate Trash'

whatever posted:

That, in full, was enough to spark outrage among the alt-Nazis, who have decided to add Rogue One to a list of things that they’re boycotting, along with Hamilton, Starbucks, Kellogs, and Facts.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wikipedia says that the droid that Alan Tudyk voices is "rebel owned" and was an Imperial droid that had its memory wiped by one of the rebel characters so I guess that free droids are not welcome in the "multicultural" rebel alliance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ash1138 posted:

Wikipedia says that the droid that Alan Tudyk voices is "rebel owned" and was an Imperial droid that had its memory wiped by one of the rebel characters so I guess that free droids are not welcome in the "multicultural" rebel alliance.

or its a simple terminator reference

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phi230 posted:

or its a simple terminator reference

Yeah but you don't just reference stuff for no reason. Being a Terminator reference sets up an even bigger "humans versus machines" theme.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but you don't just reference stuff for no reason. Being a Terminator reference sets up an even bigger "humans versus machines" theme.

well think about it man

why would an imperial droid, who ultimately is still a slave to its programming, defect from the empire? steal the droid, wipe its mind, the rebels made it free

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i apologize in advance

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again: you could instantly prove me wrong by simply pointing out any errors I've made.

Writing truthfully and accurately is much easier, and more effective, than what you are currently doing.

Okay, one more time. I wasn't saying you called the governments feudalistic, I was pointing out that nothing in Star Wars was ever feudalistic. Dooku's secret meeting discusses something akin to NATO or the Warsaw Pact, not feudalism. There's nothing in the film that applies a filter of feudalism unless, again, you're under the incorrect assumption that nobility naturally begets feudalism.

To borrow one of your idiotisms: Are you sure you know what feudalism is? Because I feel like you have it confused with royalty.

Halloween Jack posted:

Sorry, I conflated your posts with another historian ITT.

True, which is why it's tragic when coalitions are built around the idea. Make the Republic Great Again. It's weird how many characters in this "Republic" are nobility, or have royal or feudal titles--queen, princess, count, knight.

The Separatists are libertarian capitalists who want to secede from the Republic, so that they can exploit their slaves in peace--which is why it's perfectly fitting that Count Dooku is their leader. (Dracula's a Jedi master, but no one uses that title.)

Scratch a libertarian and find a feudalist. The distinction between ideology and organization is important here, too. The antebellum South wasn't feudalist in organization, but idolized Walter Scott. Libertarian thinkers like Hans Hermann Hoppe essentially advocate for a return to feudalism; libertopians fantasize about building citadels in the middle of nowhere. So it's quite natural that Count Dracula becomes the leader of a Corporate Alliance.

I don't know how this could be any more clear: Feudalism is not monarchy, it's not slave owning, it's not royal titles. We had kings and queens and emperors for thousands of years before feudalism and in most of the world, feudalism never happened. It is not natural and it is specific to certain parts of the world. Moreover, "royal titles" in the Star Wars universe were shown in the PT to be nothing more than fancy words. Padme, the "Queen" of Naboo, had a term. She wasn't a constitutional monarch, she was a president with a different name. Do you know why Lucas made them queens and knights and whatnot? It isn't because of some hidden notion about feudalism, it was because he was making a sci-fantasy franchise and knights rescued queens in fantasy.

Hans-Hermann Hoppe is in favour of free contracts, freedom to switch occupations and the like. This is classic libertarianism and is the antithesis of feudalism. He certainly has elements of anarchy in his work (and I'm an anarchist), but to call what he wants feudalism tells me that you have no clue what feudalism is. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh but the degree to which some people here are so sure that they're right when they're demonstrably false and misguided is staggering.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Phi230 posted:

i apologize in advance

"The Little White Cuck-ball"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why is dooku a count you say? because count dracula is embedded into our culture and thus count = spooky bad guy in the western consciousness

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ash1138 posted:

This was known, of course. It's been consistent since 1977.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
phi230, you shouldn't look in too much in what /pol/ thinks of star wars, It's a cesspool

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wild Horses posted:

phi230, you shouldn't look in too much in what /pol/ thinks of star wars, It's a cesspool

i know perfectly well what the alt right thinks of star wars, im more surprised it hasnt gotten started till now. last year they were in huge uproar for months

its like a new star wars tradition to offend nazis as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The new Spiderman movie is going to be another good one, his love interest is going to be a non-white person. Hollywood's taking the white genocide straight to the kids this time, think of all the white babies that won't be born because high schoolers will think its ok to date someone who isn't white.

• Locked thread