Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

Get the gently caress out. Mental health is already stigmatized especially in the black community. Donda straight up said he had BPD. He has rapped about his mental health issues for years. poo poo has been leaking from his hospital so much that they had to send put Emergency emails about HIPPA guidelines.

Seriously you are not welcome here.

Lol like he knows who Donda is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Koalas March posted:

Get the gently caress out. Mental health is already stigmatized especially in the black community. Donda straight up said he had BPD. He has rapped about his mental health issues for years. poo poo has been leaking from his hospital so much that they had to send put Emergency emails about HIPPA guidelines.

Seriously you are not welcome here.

Also not even a month ago his wife was robbed in her hotel room at gunpoint in paris while he was on tour.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

tbf everytime someone cancels a tour for one reason or another, they check themselves into treatment so who knows whether he's just pretending

gently caress you.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Black people are liars. That's why Kanye's tour was canceled. Kim's robbery wasn't real. Black people are liars. It's a sham marriage anyway. Black people are liars.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

shrike82 posted:

tbf everytime someone cancels a tour for one reason or another, they check themselves into treatment so who knows whether he's just pretending

I'm not even black and that made me cringe holy poo poo

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

shrike82 posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
just report him and ignore it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

shrike82 posted:

*sees shrike82's AV+redtext*

*sagely nods*

*starts worrying shirke82 will see my AV+redtext*

:ohdear:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

shrike82 posted:

get the gently caress out idiot

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

just report him and ignore it.

Oh yeah that works great

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Forceholy posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you?

Hopefully a teenager going through a phase. If not then one of the stupidest posters in D&D.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Kanye is in the middle of a literal psychotic break. I'm not holding him responsible unless he keeps peddling that poo poo when he's done with his treatment. That said, he has said some dumb hosed up poo poo and I'm not absolving him him of that. More like saying, dude is mentally ill and needs help, that reportedly he's finally getting. Anything he is saying or has said (arguably since his mom died and he stopped getting treatment for his BPD) should be taken with the same pillar of salt you'd afford to your local corner hobo.

It honestly seems like a world of difference between "George Bush doesn't care about black people" Kanye and "I should've voted Trump" Kanye. And I don't just mean those singular statements but also other poo poo he was doing and the music and his other creative output.

Yeah after his mom died he pretty much became a different person. That being said, I get that he has mental issues, but I can't really give him a pass considering he can a)afford the BEST treatment money can buy and b) is aware of his issues and doesn't treat them and c) is an influential person and says wildly dumb poo poo while being aware of a and b, to the point he's pushed away people who were there when he had nothing and was making 5 beats a day for 3 summers.

He's been off the rails for a while and I'm glad he's finally getting the help he needs, but at the same time gently caress him for having every opportunity to do so beforehand and squandering that privilege while I know BW therapists that are constantly holding gofundme to afford to see BW who are too poor to get the treatment they need.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I want to hug Kanye and tell him he's loved and appreciated. Then talk to him about Zakus.

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:
hi Negrotown, long-time lurker with an individual and i guess tangentially related question since mental health has become a topic of discussion. if i'm commandeering the conversation i apologise, though i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on race, mental health and homelessness.

i work for an agency in LA that houses homeless individuals, formerly on the front lines as a housing case manager and now in fundraising. while i was aware that homelessness is a "tough sell" fundraising-wise, i was disappointed to learn how true this is when moving into that world and over the years have realised just how much of that is due to racism and contempt for the mentally ill, especially among the white people who largely make up our donor-base.

in LA county homelessness disproportionately affects black people, who make up 9% of the general population but nearly 40% of the homeless population, a whopping 46,874 people. these numbers are consistent nationally, as well as in other states. while my agency traditionally confronted this, we have moved away from that in our message over the years. we don't acknowledge racism or sexism in our mission statement (although our domestic violence project does, but they operate independently of us), we tiptoe around current events central to racism on our social media page and otherwise take a timid approach in our fundraising– i believe due fear of looking too "radical" and disengaging our donors.

also, it’s extremely disappointing that our head of media/communications is black and knows what he's doing but our director, a white woman, is still calling the shots and not really letting him do his job (though i don't want to presume his feelings on this, he seems frustrated). we're merging with another organisation and i feel like now is a good time to bring up the idea of broadening our message to include racism so i’ve been thinking about ways i can use my privilege to bring this up. i love this population and believe we are doing a disservice by ignoring issues, and am here to help, but want to avoid the whole white savior thing and also speaking on behalf of my co-worker.

i'd like to ask if there's a way i can use my privilege to speak up on this issue? i’m leaving my job in march/april, so not afraid of losing this position although i’d like to believe that i won’t. i don't feel like keeping silent is the right thing to do. i’d imagine if i do it’s important to talk to our head of media/comms instead of just speaking for him.

i know it is not the job of the oppressed the educate me, and i appreciate that you have been so open to giving us input about how to help without trying to take over and lead and make it about us. thank you all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's probably too late for Kanye bruh

https://twitter.com/Mastermind/status/807042208180404224

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
That car accident probably didn't do his brain any favors either. Who knows what kind of long term damage may have occurred.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

negromancer posted:

Yeah after his mom died he pretty much became a different person. That being said, I get that he has mental issues, but I can't really give him a pass considering he can a)afford the BEST treatment money can buy and b) is aware of his issues and doesn't treat them and c) is an influential person and says wildly dumb poo poo while being aware of a and b, to the point he's pushed away people who were there when he had nothing and was making 5 beats a day for 3 summers.

He's been off the rails for a while and I'm glad he's finally getting the help he needs, but at the same time gently caress him for having every opportunity to do so beforehand and squandering that privilege while I know BW therapists that are constantly holding gofundme to afford to see BW who are too poor to get the treatment they need.

To be fair, one of the major issues with mental health is that the exact sort of problems that cause issues are also ones that make you unlikely to seek help. All the money in the world won't help if your brain is telling you you're fine/not to worry.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

b) is aware of his issues and doesn't treat them and c) is an influential person and says wildly dumb poo poo while being aware of a and b

That's what the illness does though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rush Limbo posted:

To be fair, one of the major issues with mental health is that the exact sort of problems that cause issues are also ones that make you unlikely to seek help. All the money in the world won't help if your brain is telling you you're fine/not to worry.

doubly so if a bunch of people are buying all your poo poo and telling you you're a genius. I'm sure it's a lot easier to justify not getting treatment when you're famous and successful because why would you need help, you're famous and successful?

Also it seems like there's a bit of a paranoia aspect to what he's got going on, which means he's probably not really inclined to trust anyone who isn't Kim. He's even started to turn against Jay-Z, there's no way he's gonna trust someone brought in to help him without massive overhaul of his life.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

doubly so if a bunch of people are buying all your poo poo and telling you you're a genius. I'm sure it's a lot easier to justify not getting treatment when you're famous and successful because why would you need help, you're famous and successful?

Also it seems like there's a bit of a paranoia aspect to what he's got going on, which means he's probably not really inclined to trust anyone who isn't Kim. He's even started to turn against Jay-Z, there's no way he's gonna trust someone brought in to help him without massive overhaul of his life.

I don't buy that first paragraph though because he was getting help during his first 3 albums (and arguably the reason why anyone still believes in him and calls him a genius today) because his mother made him. It's actually low key disrespectful in that regard to throw away getting help when the main person who was pushing you to get help dies and you stop getting help for your existing issues AND don't get help for the new issue of your mom passing away.

Like, right after your mom dying is the time I'd think I'd need help more than ever, and he's had plenty of people who have known him much longer than he's been famous telling him that and he pushed all of them away.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

negromancer posted:

It's actually low key disrespectful in that regard to throw away getting help when the main person who was pushing you to get help dies and you stop getting help for your existing issues AND don't get help for the new issue of your mom passing away.

Like, right after your mom dying is the time I'd think I'd need help more than ever, and he's had plenty of people who have known him much longer than he's been famous telling him that and he pushed all of them away.

Seriously, have you ever suffered from depression? Severe depression makes everything feel not only pointless but hopeless. I was in a similar situation when my mother died and did much the same thing.

One of the reasons why depression can gently caress people up so badly is because it can also cause someone to become isolated in the extreme, which starts a vicious cycle.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I don't buy that first paragraph though because he was getting help during his first 3 albums (and arguably the reason why anyone still believes in him and calls him a genius today) because his mother made him. It's actually low key disrespectful in that regard to throw away getting help when the main person who was pushing you to get help dies and you stop getting help for your existing issues AND don't get help for the new issue of your mom passing away.

Dude, you can keep complaining that a mentally ill person made an irrational decision as long as you want, but it's never going to do anything but show you don't know how mental illness works.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

A death of a major person in your life can cause major issues with mental illness in a person, so it is kind of lovely to point at that and ask questions or make accusatory statements like that.

Mental illness makes people do irrational things, so applying rationality to it is kind of pointless.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I've had to get my best friend involuntarily committed during a manic episode after she stole a car and started driving around the country, completely convinced she could control both other drivers and traffic lights with her mind. Try convincing a person in that state that yes, they actually do need to take medicine to make that feeling of invincibility stop. Can't exactly blame Kanye for not seeing clearly, that's pretty much the expected outcome.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Dude, you can keep complaining that a mentally ill person made an irrational decision as long as you want, but it's never going to do anything but show you don't know how mental illness works.
It really is the tragedy of mental illness. If it were a busted arm you'd have physical proof but when its all in your head, well. The whole point of mental illness is that you aren't thinking clearly, and you are making irrational decisions. Even rich famous people can go nuts.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't believe Kanye is turning into Don Cheadle in Meteor Man :(

Edit: Yeah it turns out your brain is basically reality for you and when it starts telling you there's people out to kill you or whatever you literally can't not believe it.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Your brain can tell you when you've got a broken arm, the reverse should be true and your arm bone should be able to tell your brain when you're mentally ill. Maybe by lighting up or vibrating like a phone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

How does the experience of white people not believing PoC about their experiences and people without experience with mental health issues not believing people who've dealt with that sort of thing stack up? They seem superficially like they might be similar and might be useful in getting to some white people.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Your brain can tell you when you've got a broken arm, the reverse should be true and your arm bone should be able to tell your brain when you're mentally ill. Maybe by lighting up or vibrating like a phone.

When they tried that on one of the goons in the dark knight, he just exploded instead

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Rush Limbo posted:

Seriously, have you ever suffered from depression? Severe depression makes everything feel not only pointless but hopeless. I was in a similar situation when my mother died and did much the same thing.

One of the reasons why depression can gently caress people up so badly is because it can also cause someone to become isolated in the extreme, which starts a vicious cycle.

Yes, yes I have, and I didn't have 1/100th of the resources or people constantly around me that he does.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A series of bad decisions against the advice of virtually everyone who has been close to you in your life. That's not mental illness, that's hubris.

But continue to tell me about how a veteran with depression and PTSD doesn't understand mental illness. I'm sure you have tons of insight.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Yes, yes I have, and I didn't have 1/100th of the resources or people constantly around me that he does.

A series of bad decisions against the advice of virtually everyone who has been close to you in your life. That's not mental illness, that's hubris.

But continue to tell me about how a veteran with depression and PTSD doesn't understand mental illness. I'm sure you have tons of insight.

Everyone but you can see how ridiculous you're being right now. It doesn't matter how long you argue or how mad you get, the facts of mental illness will not change.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rush Limbo posted:

There's also a massive, massive social stigma attached to having any mental issues at all. Society assumes that "I saw a shrink once and have a minor mood disorder" means "I will literally ax murder your entire family with no provocation for no discernible reason some day." Depression is viewed as a sign of weakness and personal failure. That or that mental health issues are something only people with something seriously wrong with them ever deal with. The idea of a productive, wealthy person having issues just doesn't jive with society. There's also that stigma that it's impossible for a mentally ill person to be functional; Kanye is successful so obviously he can't be mentally ill!

Fact is that mental illness does not give a poo poo who you are. Granted famous, wealthy people also tend to have more issues with stress, depression, substance abuse, and suicide; musicians especially. Good that he's getting help if he needs it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As gfsincere helpfully demonstrates, mental illness is seen as a moral failing even by people who have experience with it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

Overcoming the stigma is more important than judging someone for not taken advantage of the abundant help they had on offer. You want to hold a grudge against Kanye as a representation of wasted potential, that's your prerogative. I'd rather by able to tell my friend that there is literally no circumstance under which reaching out is going to get him criticized, because look at loving Kanye getting help in the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getting help for mental illness is harder than just having the support structure available. Mental illness itself often gets in the way of seeking proper help and having people who can support and help you is important. If anything being rich and famous makes that harder because it's easier for someone who needs help to insulate themselves from people who can pressure and force them in a way they need.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Getting help for mental illness is harder than just having the support structure available. Mental illness itself often gets in the way of seeking proper help and having people who can support and help you is important. If anything being rich and famous makes that harder because it's easier for someone who needs help to insulate themselves from people who can pressure and force them in a way they need.

It doesn't help that being famous is apparently actually pretty awful.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It doesn't help that being famous is apparently actually pretty awful.

Yeah for example here is some paparazzi lurking outside Kanye's garage at 4 in the morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjEA94brRw&t=5s

Cue "If you didn't want to put up with literally any and all unpleasantness you shouldn't have gotten successful enough to be famous"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Hahaha Trump just said "the African American community has been great to us. And, if they had any doubt about us they stayed home, which is just as good". I'm paraphrasing, but JFC. We are so boned.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, that's true if you ignore the fact that he's known he has had this illness since before he was famous, as did his closest friends, and he's found a way to alienate most of his support structure that have basically kept him on track and looked out for his best interests.

There's a lot about Kanye that can be chalked up to mental illness, but having mental illness is not a pass to be an unapologetic rear end in a top hat either. His mental illness doesn't preclude him from knowing right from wrong. If it did, he would be committed involuntarily, because that's mental insanity where you literally don't know right from wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My mother was well aware of her mental illnesses and because she dreaded treatment, she would always find a way to avoid it or cut it short.

• Locked thread