Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
On the bright side, their commander just got hosed up: on the downside, that probably means the competent guy gets to take over. Also, Mr. Wolf Spider Prime is 7 head damage from a KIA: good thing we're dishonorable non-Zell pricks, because otherwise he might be obligated to fight against some ugly odds. Any actual head-cap friendly weapons would almost certainly need to be bid away for the fight to happen though, so it all works out.

Zell is kinda retarded if you don't have plot armor or a magic cloaking device trump card. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

Well poo poo. Let me think of something else then. Anyone else want a pop at the Ice Ferret?

E: I can get into medium range with the Summoner. You know what that means?

Every time I think of getting into this as a pilot, I remember that all my mechwarrior instinct is basically "tape down all the buttons and then hide while reloading/cooling down".

Also I miss that show, it was goofy fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RedMagus posted:

Every time I think of getting into this as a pilot, I remember that all my mechwarrior instinct is basically "tape down all the buttons and then hide while reloading/cooling down".

Also I miss that show, it was goofy fun.

At least mechwarrior is a setting where yes, there probably is a 'missiles, more missiles, ALL THE MISSILES' button in each cockpit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

On the bright side, their commander just got hosed up: on the downside, that probably means the competent guy gets to take over. Also, Mr. Wolf Spider Prime is 7 head damage from a KIA: good thing we're dishonorable non-Zell pricks, because otherwise he might be obligated to fight against some ugly odds. Any actual head-cap friendly weapons would almost certainly need to be bid away for the fight to happen though, so it all works out.

That's not how the Clans work.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Have we ever done a scenario on the surface of a warship? That happened a few times in the books right?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Saint Celestine posted:

Have we ever done a scenario on the surface of a warship? That happened a few times in the books right?

There was one on a dropship's hull, I believe.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zebulon posted:

There was one on a dropship's hull, I believe.

It was our first exposure to the REDACTED (Elementals). Also, it was many mechwarriors first exposure to a hard vacuum, as said Elementals tore their poo poo to pieces.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, players with Elementals, you get to choose where and when to deploy them. Normally I'd say "They can't deploy and perform an anti-mech attack on the same turn" but gently caress it, if you manage to drop your Wraiths or Elementals directly onto an enemy `Mech I'll allow it (just remember normal movement penalties apply).

That's the reason your fighters all have golden goose, to reduce the odds of them scattering into the open and being instantly killed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, players with Elementals, you get to choose where and when to deploy them. Normally I'd say "They can't deploy and perform an anti-mech attack on the same turn" but gently caress it, if you manage to drop your Wraiths or Elementals directly onto an enemy `Mech I'll allow it (just remember normal movement penalties apply).

That's the reason your fighters all have golden goose, to reduce the odds of them scattering into the open and being instantly killed.

Their anti-mech attack against a light/medium if they drop on one should be that all the Elementals just flying drop-kick the mech simultaneously to try and knock it down. :black101:

Too bad those Elementals would no longer have legs. But think of the glory! "How did Alpha Squad get taken down?" "Well, they were hanging on to this fighter as it came roaring through a snowstorm at mach 2, and they all jumped off in mid flight and jump kicked this Widowmaker rear end in a top hat right in the cockpit, sending him down into a ravine, where he froze to death."

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not how the Clans work.

It's actually how one of the manual (excerpts) implies players are so supposed to go about Zell in their games: not canon, but at least it's something people might actually do.

Also,

PoptartsNinja posted:

What would happen if we dropped a bunch of Elementals into some trees?

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 8, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Warhawk in 1231 looks like a super prime Elemental target at the moment, it's in close range of trees so your point can get to cover if swarm attacking fails, plus it's behind the rest of it's star so they might not turn around to try and shoot the toads.

Dropping around 2010 or 1017 looks good, too.

e: I think you'd want to drop in to trees if not going for directly on top of an enemy mech to get cover, yea? (I don't know the drop rules, there might be penalties to landing in trees like for ejecting pilots).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

What would happen if we dropped a bunch of Elementals into some trees?

They would be safe and hard to attack without a nearby active probe.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Quick question about air dropped elementals: Can we drop and attack with them in the same turn, or do we have to wait until next turn before we can attack with them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

Quick question about air dropped elementals: Can we drop and attack with them in the same turn, or do we have to wait until next turn before we can attack with them?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Normally I'd say "They can't deploy and perform an anti-mech attack on the same turn" but gently caress it, if you manage to drop your Wraiths or Elementals directly onto an enemy `Mech I'll allow it

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Reading comprehension, apparently I have none. :suicide:

E: Don't forget to throw your orders in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZZtsxD0WRt3dbOVqNJCvhdQ8DgUKaHHPzefX9EcEfHQ/edit#gid=924023928 Everyone, I hate for us to all attempt to swarm the same targets.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
MAD DOGS! ON! IIIIIIIIICE!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Mechs dont have status info on their teammates right? So you only know if someone is unconscious or dead via their silence on the radio?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think the command consoles some officer's mechs are outfitted with would have a wider range of telemetry from their subordinate mechs.

Good thing the officer is unconscious and about to have their mech freeze solid.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Orders in.
Jumping to 1246 to maintain rage and giving fire on the gargoyle D, with the novacat as secondary.
Next turn I plan to end in half cover or trees in the region of 0842 and continue sniping my two targets.
if they have only short range guns, it is their own fault for being out ranged.

Fake edit: feel free to update the google doc for me, I intend to use the thread.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You don't have LOS on anything from 1246- There's a height 2 ridge in between you and the enemy 'Mechs :(

e: Walking to 1444 is an option though- You get +1 movement, +1 partial cover, and +1 from low profile to be hit. Unfortunately that still puts you at 8 range, so the Garg can shoot on 7s with it's ERLLs vs your same 7s with the PPCs. Running to 1345 gives you 8s, while the Garg has 9s in return.
Jumping to 1245 makes for 9 for you, with 11s for the Garg.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 9, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Ok, I'm not terribly well antiquated with Battlearmor theory, but it seems logical to try and drop all of them around one location so they can't easily be focus-fired down there are also a few things to consider:

1. Pulse lasers are the worst: they get a hefty bonus against infantry and have fair range, which makes the Wolf Spider D REALLY dangerous. Right now, it's up in the north, but we don't know its movement and it looks like it might have jump capability: if so, we can expect it to move on our infantry as soon.

2. The Mist Lynx A seems to be a dedicated infantry killer: our friends in the north have a decent chance of killing it, but there's a chance it'll move south (it can jump, after all) if the infantry are dropped there, which would obviously be dangerous.

3. Cluster munitions can wipe out infantry very fast if the enemy is willing to risk the auto on their autocannons. There are only a few among the enemy, but keep that in mind.

That said, we've got three obvious options:

1. Drop them on or near the heaviest mechs ASAP, forcing the enemy to choose between engaging our mechs (letting the BA hurt and possibly swarm them) or the BA (probably making them ineffective/killing them in a few turns) which will give either the mechs or the BA a good chance to quickly cripple the enemy, at the expense of reducing our chances to humiliate the enemy by killing them with BA.

2. Wait a few turns so the worst of the infantry killers can either be crippled or destroyed, which also might give the infantry a better chance at destroying the enemy mechs outright, albeit at the cost of letting the enemy shoot our mechs unhindered in the meantime.

3. Try and drop the infantry into the ravine, to finish off the damaged and isolated mechs if they survive the ice, and maybe keep a few down there to finish off any enemies that fall into there.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Am I right in thinking that under the Clan honour code, if Star Colonel Vickers is taken alive then he is expected to swear allegiance to his captors as a menial or commit ritual suicide?

Not that I'm suggesting Goonlance fire to disable, but offering him a choice between Official Goonstar Gimpsuited Footstool or opening his veins would be a pretty impressive humiliation.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

You don't have LOS on anything from 1246- There's a height 2 ridge in between you and the enemy 'Mechs :(

e: Walking to 1444 is an option though- You get +1 movement, +1 partial cover, and +1 from low profile to be hit. Unfortunately that still puts you at 8 range, so the Garg can shoot on 7s with it's ERLLs vs your same 7s with the PPCs. Running to 1345 gives you 8s, while the Garg has 9s in return.
Jumping to 1245 makes for 9 for you, with 11s for the Garg.

That should say 1245, thank you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loxbourne posted:

Am I right in thinking that under the Clan honour code, if Star Colonel Vickers is taken alive then he is expected to swear allegiance to his captors as a menial or commit ritual suicide?

Not that I'm suggesting Goonlance fire to disable, but offering him a choice between Official Goonstar Gimpsuited Footstool or opening his veins would be a pretty impressive humiliation.

We're here not to dishonor him personally, but his unit. If we take him bondsman, we acknowledge he is so valuable (in honor and/or skill) that we would accept him despite his hilarious pratfall defeat.

We're better off continuing to treat them as scumbag bandits.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

thetruegentleman posted:

Ok, I'm not terribly well antiquated with Battlearmor theory, but it seems logical to try and drop all of them around one location so they can't easily be focus-fired down there are also a few things to consider:

I would say 1, we have fewer mechs and need to press the advantage we have. Both mechs and BA should focus the stuff that will mulch the BA, it's going to go down fastest anyway, most likely, and has the best ability to reduce our combat strength.

Also, I am wavering on trying to capture the hunchback on the basis of her being a cool dude concerned with the welfare of her fellow warrior (even if it's Vickers), dual AC/20 makes for dangerous domestication. Are we only allowed to capture one and only one mechwarrior or officer to fulfill the humilation goal?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

vorebane posted:

Also, I am wavering on trying to capture the hunchback on the basis of her being a cool dude concerned with the welfare of her fellow warrior (even if it's Vickers), dual AC/20 makes for dangerous domestication. Are we only allowed to capture one and only one mechwarrior or officer to fulfill the humilation goal?
The goal is specific to the Hunchback IIC:

quote:

- Give the Hunchback IIC pilot an honorable death OR capture them honorably (+0%/10%)
I don't see another capture goal, although there is the goal to leave a crippled enemy alive.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Someone in the google doc mentioned I can torso twist with the Nova. I really got to ask, how? :psyduck:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Very carefully.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Back Hack posted:

Someone in the google doc mentioned I can torso twist with the Nova. I really got to ask, how? :psyduck:

The answer, as always, is 'space magic'.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Back Hack posted:

As always, it would've been nice if the magic space robots construction rules were just a liiiitle more interesting. And I don't mean quirks, I mean actual "here's the tradeoff of not having torso twist and why it might make a more interesting design."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

`Mechs aren't joints that move in one direction only. They're flexible because they have actual musculature. Nova can pivot on its ankles enough to mimic the effects of a torso-twist.

The Nova actually has the 'no torso twist' quirk, but it's entirely a drawback and I'm not saddling a player with it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Back Hack posted:

The circular pads above the feet twist the entire mech, kicking with one foot to give more force to spin the mech around with while the other foot pivots the mech in place via the pad; after the shots are fired, the lifted foot's pad starts spinning as soon as the foot nears the ground, allowing the impact to move the torso back to it's original position.

The mech changes direction in a similar way, only the lifted foot doesn't move the machine back to the original facing.

Edit: drat, I got beaten to it.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Thinking about taking the Gargoyle Prime into 909 and firing on the summoner. Thoughts? also the insane part of my mind wants me to masc charge the summoner

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tythas posted:

also the insane part of my mind wants me to masc charge the summoner

It's in a hole, you can't charge across elevation changes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Stormcrow here, not a lot of good options for me to achieve my 'move and shoot every turn' personal goal, but I've settled on going to 1040 and shooting at the gargoyle with a contingency for the novacat. Further moves should let me duck into cover/break if I need it.

Also dropping my Ironholds in the 1036 woods so they can start shooting all turn every turn :getin:

thetruegentleman posted:

1. Pulse lasers are the worst: they get a hefty bonus against infantry and have fair range, which makes the Wolf Spider D REALLY dangerous. Right now, it's up in the north, but we don't know its movement and it looks like it might have jump capability: if so, we can expect it to move on our infantry as soon.

2. The Mist Lynx A seems to be a dedicated infantry killer: our friends in the north have a decent chance of killing it, but there's a chance it'll move south (it can jump, after all) if the infantry are dropped there, which would obviously be dangerous.

3. Cluster munitions can wipe out infantry very fast if the enemy is willing to risk the auto on their autocannons. There are only a few among the enemy, but keep that in mind.

Thanks for this, I've thrown up a tally of BAP mechs on the spreadsheet, might as well throw these in there as well. Better to have information and not need it than to forget about it and die wanting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

EponymousMrYar posted:

Stormcrow here, not a lot of good options for me to achieve my 'move and shoot every turn' personal goal

Your goal is to punch an enemy officer?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Back Hack posted:

Imagine a ballet dancer doing a beautiful pirouette.

It is probably exactly not like that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Your goal is to punch an enemy officer?

Sorry, I meant My Personal Goal as a Player.

I haven't forgotten about punching an officer though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tythas posted:

Thinking about taking the Gargoyle Prime into 909 and firing on the summoner. Thoughts? also the insane part of my mind wants me to masc charge the summoner

You might want to run to 0512 and plug the Wolf Spider- It's got a much worse move mod than the Summoner (Summoner is at +4 to hit, 3 jumped and 1 partial cover) with only a 2 (1 movement, 1 cover), and it's right at your perfect 7 hex ERPPC short range, so you only need 6 to hit it, while it needs 9 for LBX or 8 for Pulse to hit you.

e:

thetruegentleman posted:

1. Drop them on or near the heaviest mechs ASAP, forcing the enemy to choose between engaging our mechs (letting the BA hurt and possibly swarm them) or the BA (probably making them ineffective/killing them in a few turns) which will give either the mechs or the BA a good chance to quickly cripple the enemy, at the expense of reducing our chances to humiliate the enemy by killing them with BA.

2. Wait a few turns so the worst of the infantry killers can either be crippled or destroyed, which also might give the infantry a better chance at destroying the enemy mechs outright, albeit at the cost of letting the enemy shoot our mechs unhindered in the meantime.

3. Try and drop the infantry into the ravine, to finish off the damaged and isolated mechs if they survive the ice, and maybe keep a few down there to finish off any enemies that fall into there.

I don't think Battle Armor suffer from the traditional infantry drawbacks you're describing- A mech attacking a BA unit just hits a random trooper which takes normal weapon damage. BA don't suffer from burst fire damage dealt by stuff like small pulse lasers or machine guns like conventional infantry do. The only BA in extra danger from cluster rounds are the VTOL Sylphs, but none of the players brought them.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Stormcrow here, not a lot of good options for me to achieve my 'move and shoot every turn' personal goal, but I've settled on going to 1040 and shooting at the gargoyle with a contingency for the novacat. Further moves should let me duck into cover/break if I need it.

Also dropping my Ironholds in the 1036 woods so they can start shooting all turn every turn :getin:

1040 is a good spot, I'd considering primarying the Nova Cat though. It's carrying a huge pile of dangerous weapons, has thinner armor, and is a lot easier for you to hit than the Gargoyle is!

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Ardlen posted:

The goal is specific to the Hunchback IIC:
I don't see another capture goal, although there is the goal to leave a crippled enemy alive.

Oh I missed that awesome, good luck kicking off a leg before it tears important chunks out of goonforce though. I guess I was interpreting the leave a crippled enemy goal to be capturing them, but I see how it could also be for just leaving them on the ice.

• Locked thread