Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm worried that with things coming to a head so grandiosely we're going to be getting too much combat and exposition, not enough of the visuals and character stuff that made this show so interesting to start with. guess we'll see.

surprised to see cocona just now learning about her amorphous. thought there were a couple times (outside of a transformation sequence) where it was glowing, might pick up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm worried that with things coming to a head so grandiosely we're going to be getting too much combat and exposition, not enough of the visuals and character stuff that made this show so interesting to start with. guess we'll see.

surprised to see cocona just now learning about her amorphous. thought there were a couple times (outside of a transformation sequence) where it was glowing, might pick up on that.

I think the character stuff will do fine. I mean, the big scary cliffhanger of the episode is Cocona losing faith in her GF/all her friends and abandoning all sense of agency entirely, that's entirely character-driven. I'm pretty sure the staff still understand what the core of the show is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I am 99% certain we're building up to an epic climax within Pure Illusion for the finale but the pacing of the show still easily allows for the character stuff to resolve in a good way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it is too bad someone said the ratings are not good. it is not doing too poorly as far as the popularity listing on crunchyroll. but yeah this is a show that benefits from more time to breathe

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I am 99% certain we're building up to an epic climax within Pure Illusion for the finale but the pacing of the show still easily allows for the character stuff to resolve in a good way.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying there won't be any fights or big showpieces or anything. I'm just saying that the show has left me feeling very confident in its ability to interweave that with character drama and visual storytelling.

Super No Vacancy posted:

it is too bad someone said the ratings are not good. it is not doing too poorly as far as the popularity listing on crunchyroll. but yeah this is a show that benefits from more time to breathe

I'll be interested to see how it does over the next few years as we get farther away from it. There's not a lot of people watching right now, but I feel like if this show ends strong it'll basically end up being the Platonic Ideal of the term "cult-classic."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm also confused that it's not more popular. I thought yuri and flashy colors was all you needed for a popular show these days.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yuri is surprisingly not that popular in Japan itself.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Super No Vacancy posted:

apparently the dvd sales are pretty dismal which is what really matters unfortunately

and yeah yuri doesn't really go over that well, not near as well as fujobait yaoi shows

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dvd sales aren't what matter most to a show's success, it's merchandise, which when it comes to flip flaps i got no idea about

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yuri is surprisingly not that popular in Japan itself.

I don't believe you

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

I don't believe you

I don't believe it either. If it wasn't popular there wouldn't be so much of it (at least if you define it to include subtext).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some yuri shows are plenty popular and even have pretty big lasting fanbases, symphogear is even going into its fourth and fifth seasons next year and pretty much everything in that show is about the relationships between the cast, many of which are heavily implied if not outright confirmed by people involved in the show to be romantic. having yuri subtext in a show isn't gonna win yuri on ice or osomatsu-san levels of popularity but it's not like it confines it to total failure

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Was there any mention of the amorphous in the flashback?

Has anyone yet suggested that Mimi is the amorphous?

She was the only one who could naturally enter PI in the flashback. Papika was able to enter, because Mimi took her there.

If Salt is Cocona's father, and Mimi's lover, it explains why he split with the klan, and is going after the amorphous himself.

If it was an event in PI that split her into the amorphous, it makes sense that pieces would enter people who were nearby. Papika(her PI partner), and Cocona(possibly unborn child?)

It explains why Cocona and Papika would be attuned to PI, and attracted to amorphous.

It explains why enough amorphous entering Cocona led to her being posessed by Mimi.

If Mimi is the amorphous, and the bridge between Reality and PI, then the broad motives expressed by the klan and Salt sorta make sense.

Nyu Nyu is also blue-haired, and was ready to enter PI without technological weapons. Possibly another child with amorphous on board, who can transform? Possibly another child of Mimi?

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Wasn't Cocona's wish to meet her parents? So technically Mimi's fragments granted part of that when Mom showed up :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Colonel posted:

some yuri shows are plenty popular and even have pretty big lasting fanbases, symphogear is even going into its fourth and fifth seasons next year and pretty much everything in that show is about the relationships between the cast, many of which are heavily implied if not outright confirmed by people involved in the show to be romantic. having yuri subtext in a show isn't gonna win yuri on ice or osomatsu-san levels of popularity but it's not like it confines it to total failure

yeh but symphogear makes a silly amount of money from selling cds and associated merch. flip flappers is more of a passion project, get a bunch of very talented animators together with a very motivated director, try and make something special. from what i understand, it's not like this show costs especially more than a more commercial-facing show, and it is possible to do more with less

yuri on ice is also an auteur passion project, but it hit the jackpot with popularity

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How old is Papika?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

How old is Papika?

I suspect this one is exactly as old as she appears, but that she's inherited the memories of someone rather older.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

I suspect this one is exactly as old as she appears, but that she's inherited the memories of someone rather older.

Yeah that's my thinking too. Papikana's memories seem to have transferred to her through the shards over time or at least brought to the surface by them. It's fairly clear they are still distinct people despite similar personalities given her love for Cocona (and not Mimi) is definitely genuine.

She's not the same Papikana of the past. That person is probably dead. She's a clone of some sort, possibly an amorphous child (though Salt perfected the tech after leaving the klan since she seems perfectly human unlike the twins? Then again, Nyu seems really drat close to human too.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 10, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On the subject of Mimi - something someone pointed out on Twitter that I rather like is that, given the evidence we have, even if Papika is literally the exact same person as Papikana just de-aged and amnesiac, there actually isn't a ton of logical reason to think that she was ever romantically attached to Mimi like she is to Cocona. I mean, we know that Mimi got down with a dude (almost guaranteed to be Salt) at some point, the show lingered on the fact that Papika wasn't the one to make Mimi's flower wreath whereas she did make one for Cocona, and Papika doesn't speak about/to Mimi in at all the same way she's spoken to/about. Papika's never used words like 'suki' or 'ai' in relation to Mimi and calls her a 'friend,' whereas she's never been shy about using more romantic language with Cocona and doesn't really refer to as a friend - it's pretty much always "Cocona" or occasionally "my Cocona," like Cocona is someone singularly and indescribably special to her. So Cocona's fears that she's just a replacement for or might eventually be replaced by Mimi probably don't even have any actual basis - they're just projections built from Cocona's own anxiety and low self-worth. It's rather sad, really.

On a minor note, I do like how despite the fact the Klan DOES have a name ('Ascalepsius') literally everyone watching in the west just calls them the Klan. I still think that's funny.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i will buy the flip flap merchandise

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Show me the goods

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i lit cant find flip flap merch in shops, only the ed cd

which i bought, its a cool song

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I want Papikas hoverboard. That would be good merch.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

nielsm posted:

I want Papikas hoverboard. That would be good merch.

Give Papika + Cocona on hoverboard figma please.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Zeruel posted:

Oh god I didn't realize how much I wanted figmas of their Flip Flapping forms until right now. Even if they were annoying exclusives, I would throw down money for them.

Imagine the awesome weapon accessories...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Oh loving want

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I always thought merch in general was stupid.

I guess that's why no one makes anim targeted at me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually nobody makes anime targeted at you cause you're lame *rides hoverboard out of thread with two gay best buds while wearing sunglasses and giving the flips up*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

merch is the lifeblood of the industry

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i love to purchase and consume products

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:same:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Super No Vacancy posted:

i love to purchase and consume products

sometimes they're edible!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Colonel posted:

actually nobody makes anime targeted at you cause you're lame *rides hoverboard out of thread with two gay best buds while wearing sunglasses and giving the flips up*

drat, dude got lucky you didn't give 'im the flaps too

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

drat, dude got lucky you didn't give 'im the flaps too

boutta catch dese FlipFlaps

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
When I see Iro's obaachan in episode 6 I really can't help but see grandma Anthy. Which is probably perfect for this show

Edit: I caught up in this show! I hope all goes well for our cute gay heroes :kiddo:

Cephas fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 11, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/bisexualrobot/status/807832962955759616

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/bisexualrobot/status/807832962955759616

Wow, who woulda guessed that all Mimi wanted was to be Cocona's best wing-girl?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ha, owned

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's very good. (twice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

loving wow. That's the closest I've ever loving seen.

• Locked thread