Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
We know why they did it, it just wasn't worth it. No new information or character beats were established. Fisk is a physical threat? We knew that. Fisk would act super protective about Vanessa? Duh. Fisk would kill anybody he felt he needed to? Doi.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So that's clearly Gwen on the 42nd second mark,

Felicia Hardy?
For some reason I keep thinking the girl with the glasses is Bombshell.

I think you're reaching way too hard on these, but that's definitely Howard Stark on the wall back there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

redbackground posted:

We know why they did it, it just wasn't worth it. No new information or character beats were established. Fisk is a physical threat? We knew that. Fisk would act super protective about Vanessa? Duh. Fisk would kill anybody he felt he needed to? Doi.

It established that main characters could die.

Which is something people whine about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah turns out "main characters you care about aren't safe" isn't a selling point in serial media.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah turns out "main characters you care about aren't safe" isn't a selling point in serial media.

Yeah but other than those serial media juggernauts, good point

Sion fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Someone needs to update that second one! :toughguy:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair those shows are bad.

And GOT has plot armor, for certain characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Someone needs to update that second one! :toughguy:

And the first one, actually. There's one too many living Stark kids, for one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah but daredevil has like 6 characters

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair those shows are bad.

And GOT has plot armor, for certain characters.

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah but daredevil has like 6 characters

neither of which are points which detract from the point I was trying to make :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hadn't they just killed off Fisk's best friend? Or was that a little later?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

greatn posted:

Hadn't they just killed off Fisk's best friend? Or was that a little later?

They had; Fisk asks Ulrich about it before he kills him.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sion posted:

neither of which are points which detract from the point I was trying to make :v:

Well at least you had the good sense to tell us that on behalf of yourself

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Completely forgot about the Spider-Man Trailer, drat.

Vulture looks kickass, but I heard shocker was in it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

I think he's the black dude where there's some sort of energy blast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

twistedmentat posted:

Shocker is the black guy with the weird energy arm. Vulture has it when he's flying through the cruise ship.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shocker's mostly in the Euro trailer I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shocker's the guy who punches the school bus to send the back end spinning. He's featured more in the international trailer.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Donglover spotted.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

Donglover spotted.

I read a guess that he might be Miles's uncle and I would love that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

I read a guess that he might be Miles's uncle and I would love that.

Someone suggested Hobie Brown, and I think that works great. There's no reason to do anyone related to Miles now because it would be a really long time before he's in any movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Miles' uncle is Hobie Brown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

Shocker's the guy who punches the school bus to send the back end spinning. He's featured more in the international trailer.

Yea, watched that and it's way more obvious.

I would not be surprised if the mid credits sequence is the Iron Spider costume.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Spider-Man trailer is great. I still don't care for the web armpits, but that's irrelevant. Shame about "Ned Leeds". On that sort of note though, I think it's great that both of Peter's love interests are Black. Eagerly awaiting "Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" *roll credits* when they apply makeup to Zendaya.

RDJ is such a perfect Tony Stark it's unreal.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

GoT tends to advance the plot significantly when one of its dozens of characters dies, and that's why it's watchable. WD kills people in emotionally manipulative ways for bullshit reasons and it's why I stopped reading the comic or watching the show years ago. Daredevil has a cast of, like, eight people, and they killed one of their best. They also killed Elektra but we knew that was coming and besides that she was aggressively unlikable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what the gently caress is going on with Zendaya's role? Am I on crack or did Kevin Feige not officially confirm she was playing MJ? But I keep seeing poo poo that she's actually "Michelle" again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So what the gently caress is going on with Zendaya's role? Am I on crack or did Kevin Feige not officially confirm she was playing MJ? But I keep seeing poo poo that she's actually "Michelle" again.

Nobody actually confirmed anything, but Comic Book Internet ran with it anyway because Comic Book Internet.

Zendaya herself has denied it recently, but it was very tongue in cheek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What? Marvel avoiding saying something that will upset racists/homophobes to protect their bottom line? I've never heard of such a thing since the last time Alonso or Breevorrt did an interview.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They've been dancing around it but I get the basic feeling that it was supposed to be a surprise twist, got leaked, and now they're doing the "No, Benedict Cumberbatch isn't playing Khan" thing with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget was that before or after "Christoph Waltz isn't playing Blofeld, honest!"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I forget was that before or after "Christoph Waltz isn't playing Blofeld, honest!"?

It's 2 years earlier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
See I swear Feige said she was MJ in an interview.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The real Mary Jane will be the friends that Spider-Man made along the way.

I think it's pretty likely that she's Mary Jane, just because they seem reluctant to even give a name for the character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She'll be like, Michelle Juliana "but her friends call her MJ", just to ensure no-one's happy with the compromise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a cut up interview from Nov 1st where it is implied that Feige has confirmed it. But without the entire interview (which doesn't seem to be on the site anymore) I can't sort out what I remember hearing.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/11/02/kevin-feige-says-next-mcu-films-will-move-away-from-completely-w/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige also mentioned the actors they cast were specifically chosen because they wanted to to do younger and more modern versions of classic characters and mentioned Holland, Tomei, and Zendaya.

Unless "Michelle" is a classic Spider-Man character I can't remember, then I think it is pretty obvious that they wanted this to be a surprise twist and are trying to do a "Blofeld" with the name.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

GoT tends to advance the plot significantly when one of its dozens of characters dies, and that's why it's watchable. WD kills people in emotionally manipulative ways for bullshit reasons and it's why I stopped reading the comic or watching the show years ago. Daredevil has a cast of, like, eight people, and they killed one of their best. They also killed Elektra but we knew that was coming and besides that she was aggressively unlikable.

okay cool how much of that relates to its popularity (protip : daredevil aint poo poo next to GOT but whatever cool post)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's gonna turn out if Spider-Man smokes weed he loses his powers. That's the mary Jane. The Vulture is trying get Mary Jane for his chronic pain from his cancer treatments, but the film will take a firm anti-marijuana position, with Spider-Man directly stating to the camera that the substance should remain a schedule 1 narcotic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I keep hoping that this goes beyond Zendaya and they'll reveal that "Ned Leeds" is actually, rightfully, named Ganke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Zendaya is Madame Web

• Locked thread