Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Android Blues posted:

Wait, but...

So, like, which is it? Is it unrealistic that Shepard can't scope in by default, or...the other thing...

This is a silly argument.

Well, suggesting Shepard is mentally incapable of putting their eye to a scope because Skill Points is funny, while tactical realism about windspeed and gauges therefore Skill Points actually really do make sense isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't realise your apparently earnest complaint was a secret joke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

marshmallow creep posted:

My button always does something! Awesome!

:yeah:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Well I left off the full stop so

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zzulu posted:

This wouldnt work too well with the ME games though because a lot of the time you got like 4 words of text to describe what the choice was and then you clicked it and an entire cutscene where shepard does a lot of stuff you could never have predicted would happen

The colors was sometimes the only indicator where the hell the choice might be headed

I liked the one in Witcher 3 where "(push Dijkstra aside forcefully)" really meant knock him down and break his fuckin leg

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Every time I read a Puppet Master Defense I can't help but think of...

quote:

youll never sustain a sicker burn than the insane + brutal carpet-borne friction from backpedalling after the worm turned on your fucker moron hotdog altriusm. your legs flailed in ever gayer circles fred flintstone style as you raced from the lego den to the computer room to let people know that your self appointed ambassadorial duties plus the time and money you spent trying to take more professional photographs of ersatz retard hotdogs were all part of your incredible joke. you cannot save face or be even remotely not gay.

... and it makes me chuckle every time.

gOd bless...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What the hell is that from/about?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Doobie's Dog House and the mod who championed the whole project who later tried to play it off like it was actually a big joke and boy did he trick the rest of us goons real good!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Uh, okay.

e: thanks for that

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

So we've confirmed you're not married to A Buff Gay Dude.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

So we've confirmed you're not married to A Buff Gay Dude.

Everyone in a posting relationship is allowed to disagree about some things.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I liked the one in Witcher 3 where "(push Dijkstra aside forcefully)" really meant knock him down and break his fuckin leg

This is a throwback because in the books Geralt broke Dijkstra's leg like five years beforehand.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something that Dragon Age got right for speech checks that Mass Effect didn't was eventually coding all of them with icons to give you a general sense of where the conversation was headed. Not only did it give you a clearer picture of what the response would be, but it made it feel like every dialogue option was "special," because who wouldn't take the glowing red/blue option over the normals if it was available to you?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It comes down to make a good compromise between a shooter and an RPG. ME1 isn't that.

Fallout NV did it well in my opinion. You can aim with any weapon, but skill investment makes you more accurate with less sway and scatter and do more damage.

Well yeah, but New Vegas is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I love that is was perhaps one of the most consequential choices in the game and want telegraphed.

Actually the whole Ciri line was decisions that. With things like a snowball fight determining the difference between a good ending and bad

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JawKnee posted:

was this a thing in ME1? I legit don't remember that. I remember aim-assist.

Yes, it was. You were not guaranteed to hit what was actually in your crosshairs. Aim assist could be enabled to make it more or less likely to hit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cowcaster posted:

having to invest points in a skill to use a weapon in an rpg is a pretty common game mechanic and complaining about it is pretty weird

that said handwaving it away as "even marine todd had to train 30 days in the desert sniping insurgents in ghillie suits to master the power that is the sniper scope that's loving realism baby" in this videogame of faster-than-light sexbot blue alien lesbian cum jizz element zero generic space frog nonsense is ranking up there with the dumbest loving thing i've seen lately

I'm sorry but there's no real way to respond to an absurd complaint about allocating skill points that doesn't sound absurd as well, even if it's right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arcsquad12 posted:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
How many loving pages is this thread going to go through before the game is actually released?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

170? 204? These are rough guesses.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Too hard to estimate. Depends a lot on hype levels and other factors. I'd say...

Base level: 100 more pages
Someone says DA2 was good: +12 pages
MP trailer knocks it out of the park: +30 pages
$60 Season Pass announced: +80 pages
Zaphod42 appears in thread: +1,000 pages

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

We don't even have a release date, so who knows?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol Zaphod is a loving corncob

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm sorry but there's no real way to respond to an absurd complaint about allocating skill points that doesn't sound absurd as well, even if it's right.

if "it's an rpg game and the devs intended that a) your character get stronger over time and 2) there be differentiated classes and builds" isn't gonna do it they're probably past help yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The paragon/renegade system was really bad and I think Bioware needs to stop doing binary morality systems. They just aren't good at it. Investing points in persuade and intimidate skills in ME1 based on your paragon/renegade level was bonkers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arcsquad12 posted:

The paragon/renegade system was really bad and I think Bioware needs to stop doing binary morality systems. They just aren't good at it. Investing points in persuade and intimidate skills in ME1 based on your paragon/renegade level was bonkers.

It's only Mass Effect where it's really a huge issue. An explicit Light/Dark side dichotomy makes sense for Star Wars (and for Jade Empire, despite issues with execution), and Dragon Age has an approval system for party members instead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, they pretty much already stopped as of ME3, where one got the sense it was only there as a legacy thing since all the mechanics around it had been heavily toned down. I wouldn't expect it in Andromeda, but who knows, maybe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have good news for you about Andromeda, assuming they haven't told a Lie.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
all I want is a game where I actually have to read stuff and think about what to say rather than mash left/right trigger every time the mouth-noises stop

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JawKnee posted:

all I want is a game where I actually have to read stuff and think about what to say rather than mash left/right trigger every time the mouth-noises stop

Try Ace Attorney.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

:agreed:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's only Mass Effect where it's really a huge issue. An explicit Light/Dark side dichotomy makes sense for Star Wars (and for Jade Empire, despite issues with execution), and Dragon Age has an approval system for party members instead.

:agreed:

JawKnee posted:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just always give me the option to shoot my way out of a conversation please, even in friendly situations. Even aboard my own ship, during romance dialogue

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Zzulu posted:

Just always give me the option to shoot my way out of a conversation please, even in friendly situations. Even aboard my own ship, during romance dialogue

Fallout 4 does this. At any time you can walk 2 steps back to stop talking to someone, pull out you gun, and shoot them in the nuts. Unfortunately there are alot of unkillable NPCS and you usually end up pissing off an entire city by shooting 1 drug dealer, so most of the time it's just for catharsis before you have to reload and play the game 'the way it's meant to be played'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nevets posted:

Unfortunately there are alot of unkillable NPCS and you usually end up pissing off an entire city by shooting 1 drug dealer

Classic Bethesda!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Nevets posted:

Fallout 4 does this. At any time you can walk 2 steps back to stop talking to someone, pull out you gun, and shoot them in the nuts. Unfortunately there are alot of unkillable NPCS and you usually end up pissing off an entire city by shooting 1 drug dealer, so most of the time it's just for catharsis before you have to reload and play the game 'the way it's meant to be played'.

New Vegas let you shoot dang near any NPC you wanted :(

I sniped Aurelian of Phoenix in the head from 500 yards away before I even realized he was a quest-giver with a storyline and everything. New Vegas was like "hey, your choice, deal with it"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hated the way paragon/renegade were implemented in every respect i can think of off the top of my head except for at least going one way or the other never locked you out of content, from what I can remember

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

if "it's an rpg game and the devs intended that a) your character get stronger over time and 2) there be differentiated classes and builds" isn't gonna do it they're probably past help yeah

Mass Effect 2 and 3 managed to do this without weapon skills. New Vegas managed it with weapon skills without being awful. Holy Moses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 2 and 3 managed to do this without weapon skills. New Vegas managed it with weapon skills without being awful. Holy Moses.

mass effect 2 literally locked you out of using some weapons based on your class, and mass effect 3 had weight limits and weapon mods, both of which were different implementations working towards the same goals lmao