Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Of all the reasons I have seen people dislike a phone...
Seriously. Mushy buttons (which I'm pretty drat happy with on my XL, BTW) as a return reason on a phone *THIS* good? :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I would return my pixel if the buttons were loose too. If they are loose when the phone is new it's only going to get worse.

The clicks are so satisfying you're missing on 98% of the experience of owning a pixel if you don't have solid buttons

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

This. You plug your phone into a dock and you get full windows, you unplug it from the dock you get windows Mobile. Having the ability to run actual honest to goodness win32 apps would be pretty cool.

Literally no one wants this at all. People are actively trying to figure out ways to remove traditional computers from their lives, the last thing a normal person wants is their phone to be able to be drive-by cryptolockered because it's running Windows. It would be like the anti-iPad in that it would work poorly, you couldn't buy one for your mother, and it wouldn't have any software worth having. Oh it wouldn't make any money at all.

Also great is the way that you can drop your phone or have it stolen and no longer own a computer because they're the same device. And the fact that a phone and computer are designed with different power constraints, cooling constraints, hardware needs, and use cases and the idea of having one device for all of that means that it will be lovely at both. It's just the dumbest idea for so many reasons that every few seconds you think of another reason it's stupid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Using the swiping functionality of the Google keyboard, I feel sometimes that it's running experiments a la intentionally faulty Facebook app. To train some neural network or for research or whatever. Some words it inserts aren't even remotely in the territory of the swiped shapes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

This. You plug your phone into a dock and you get full windows, you unplug it from the dock you get windows Mobile. Having the ability to run actual honest to goodness win32 apps would be pretty cool.
Of course, in phone mode you're still lacking pretty much any big third party apps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

Using the swiping functionality of the Google keyboard, I feel sometimes that it's running experiments a la intentionally faulty Facebook app. To train some neural network or for research or whatever. Some words it inserts aren't even remotely in the territory of the swiped shapes.

If you think Google is loving with you, maybe they are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Of all the crazy conspiracy theories on the internet this one is so believable I hesitate to even call it speculative. I've always had problems with its inconsistency but I've never thought to connect that to their love of live A/B testing. You're a genius!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Literally no one wants this at all. People are actively trying to figure out ways to remove traditional computers from their lives, the last thing a normal person wants is their phone to be able to be drive-by cryptolockered because it's running Windows. It would be like the anti-iPad in that it would work poorly, you couldn't buy one for your mother, and it wouldn't have any software worth having. Oh it wouldn't make any money at all.

Also great is the way that you can drop your phone or have it stolen and no longer own a computer because they're the same device. And the fact that a phone and computer are designed with different power constraints, cooling constraints, hardware needs, and use cases and the idea of having one device for all of that means that it will be lovely at both. It's just the dumbest idea for so many reasons that every few seconds you think of another reason it's stupid.
Um actually

nimper posted:

Winblow$$$sss am I right guys?

guys?

:eng99:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Literally no one wants this at all. People are actively trying to figure out ways to remove traditional computers from their lives, the last thing a normal person wants is their phone to be able to be drive-by cryptolockered because it's running Windows.

You do realize that windows mobile IS windows right? There hasn't been a drive by cryptolocker done to it.

quote:

It would be like the anti-iPad in that it would work poorly, you couldn't buy one for your mother, and it wouldn't have any software worth having. Oh it wouldn't make any money at all.

Windows doesn't have any software worth having? News to me. :shrug:

quote:

Also great is the way that you can drop your phone or have it stolen and no longer own a computer because they're the same device.

I am going to assume this isn't the only computer most people would use, and the same could be said for laptops as well?

quote:

And the fact that a phone and computer are designed with different power constraints, cooling constraints, hardware needs, and use cases

I am sure all the engineers at Microsoft and Qualcomm never thought of that; they should have consulted Something Awful's internet forums user LastInLine before they even bothered. It would have saved them a lot of time.

quote:

and the idea of having one device for all of that means that it will be lovely at both.
Windows Mobile is LITERALLY windows with a different UI. It's the exact same kernel, exact same API's, exact same filing system, and it runs perfectly fine now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
If Windows Mobile had a better app ecosystem and selection, I might get one, there are some neat looking devices.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

If Windows Mobile had a better app ecosystem and selection, I might get one, there are some neat looking devices.

Yeah, that is true. I miss my 8x and 920. WM is a solid platform and if the windows mobile store ever catches on then there would be a ton more wm apps as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really like the current thread title, but there's some real contenders in the past 60 posts as well. Decisions, decisions....

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Android: On the Spectrum

I actually thought the Daydream was cool for 360 photos. I forgot I had taken 360 photos a year or so ago and it was a bit jarring. I was sitting in the same spot I took them and it was around the time my son was learning to crawl. Pretty cool preserved memories

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As people mentioned, the issue with using it as a continuum device is that there still is massive lack of support for properly phone formatted apps. So, you would compromise on your mobile experience just so you could physically share the same hardware when you want to use it as a full computer. This doesn't make a lot of sense when you can easily get a sub $200 win 10 computer that will perform just as well. Cloud storage sync solves the rest of the shared files problem.

I like win 10, I really do, but I really only use my PC anymore to game or connect to work's VDI environment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

I like win 10, I really do, but I really only use my PC anymore to game or connect to work's VDI environment.

Same. My PC is for gaming and work primarily (work includes hobbies like some coding and web dev I do). Everyday life, social media, communications, etc, are all my phone now.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

LastInLine posted:

Literally no one wants this at all.

You're wrong, I "literally" want this. I was so excited for Ubuntu phone because it promised the same thing.

What is so crazy about wanting to just slap your phone into a dock when you get home to keep playing a game or to do some work or write some emails on a full size keyboard or whatever?

poo poo it's the whole reason the Nintendo Switch is going to sell like hotcakes ( at least at first anyway ) so people can carry their console with them - use the screen when mobile and dock to use their TV at home.

Of all the :spergin: posts in this thread, this one is up there. "MY opinion is that NO ONE LITERALLY wants this and let me explain MY reasons why NO ONE does"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You do understand there's no oxygen left for a competitor to the iOS/Android hegemony, right? There's no way anyone, especially Microsoft which is a company synonymous with that horrible machine people are forced to use at work, can enter the mobile space because no matter what it's their 5 apps (that Microsoft paid for developers to make because they wouldn't if it were up to them) versus Every App Everybody Wants and Already Uses on Android or iOS. Even if Microsoft pays for the app, that app won't get future development because guess what? It's retarded to spend even a dime maintaining an app that a rounding error of Apple's monthly iPhone sales uses, so those few apps just languish and fall further and further behind their competitors further weakening this competitor to the iOS/Android duopoly.

You've also got the fact that Microsoft has recently and repeatedly hosed over anyone dumb enough to develop for their platforms. They've shed OSs, APIs, and development tools over and over attempting to gain a foothold in an industry where at best they could maybe get a 1% marketshare. That's a uniquely Microsoft problem, of course, no other company could be as incompetent as they've been in the mobile space, but there it is.

One might call this speculation but the fact is that we already know all of this to be true because one company was actually dumb enough to pour billions of dollars at trying to be the third mobile OS platform. What company could be so shortsighted, so idiotic, so full of hubris to not only think that breaking into that market was possible but that they could do it? Why, it was Microsoft. They spent $10b and destroyed an entire European nation's economy to get beaten by Blackberry (again lol).

I mean I think it's funny to watch Microsoft keep loving that chicken but it's even funnier to think there are people out there wishing they'd gently caress it harder.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. My PC is for gaming and work primarily (work includes hobbies like some coding and web dev I do). Everyday life, social media, communications, etc, are all my phone now.

Congratulations, you're like most people.

TollTheHounds posted:

You're wrong, I "literally" want this. I was so excited for Ubuntu phone because it promised the same thing.

What is so crazy about wanting to just slap your phone into a dock when you get home to keep playing a game or to do some work or write some emails on a full size keyboard or whatever?

What's crazy about it? How about the fact that you can do all of that now, without the dock and without putting all your eggs into one ARM-powered basket? You can--TODAY--walk in from composing an email on the go, sit down at your computer not put your phone into a dock, and in GMail your draft will be exactly as you left it on your phone without you doing anything at all. That spreadsheet you started on your phone? It doesn't exist! Because no one's ever been dumb enough to start a spreadsheet on a phone! That game you were playing? It was either designed to be played on a phone and would be terrible on a PC or the other way around! It's a use case that does not and will never exist!

And you still haven't addressed why I'd want my laptop to run on an ARM chip designed for using the least amount of electricity instead of the Intel chip that can actually do things. Wait! How about they put the Intel CPU, some additional RAM and maybe a GPU in the dock? And then get rid of the dock part that your phone goes into and call the thing a PC?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon is taking their update withholding to a new ridiculous level by refusing to push the Note 7 disabling update.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I really like the current thread title, but there's some real contenders in the past 60 posts as well. Decisions, decisions....

ratbert90 posted:

they should have consulted Something Awful's internet forums user LastInLine before they even bothered.

I voted :)

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

LastInLine posted:

What's crazy about it? How about the fact that you can do all of that now, without the dock and without putting all your eggs into one ARM-powered basket? You can--TODAY--walk in from composing an email on the go, sit down at your computer not put your phone into a dock, and in GMail your draft will be exactly as you left it on your phone without you doing anything at all. That spreadsheet you started on your phone? It doesn't exist! Because no one's ever been dumb enough to start a spreadsheet on a phone! That game you were playing? It was either designed to be played on a phone and would be terrible on a PC or the other way around! It's a use case that does not and will never exist!

And you still haven't addressed why I'd want my laptop to run on an ARM chip designed for using the least amount of electricity instead of the Intel chip that can actually do things. Wait! How about they put the Intel CPU, some additional RAM and maybe a GPU in the dock? And then get rid of the dock part that your phone goes into and call the thing a PC?

I would say it's a case of minimalism, I suppose.

Yes today I can continue an email from drafts, but I have to take my laptop out of my bag, put it on it's dock, wait for it to boot up, sign in, wait for things to finish loading, open up Chrome or my local email app, THEN continue.

vs.

Take my phone out of my pocket, put it on dock, continue.

See how much easier that is? Yes, I could just finish whatever I'm doing on my phone, but despite the strides made on mobile phones there's nothing that replaces a full sized keyboard for typing anything. I hate having to type more than a few words on a phone.

With "one device to rule them all" it means I have one device that needs updates, one device that needs securing, one device - period.

I don't care if it's Microsoft, Android, runs on ARM or whatever - as long as whatever OS or device it is can handle Android Studio + Pro Tools/usb input ( plus all the basics already present like email, music, browser ), then shut up and take my money.

as for this:

LastInLine posted:

That game you were playing? It was either designed to be played on a phone and would be terrible on a PC or the other way around! It's a use case that does not and will never exist!

Where did I say I wanted to play a "phone game" on a PC? I want to continue playing a game on my phone, that is already running at 1080p+ ( depending on your phone ) on a large 55"+ TV that is running also at 1080p+. So it will look the same only bigger and I can sit on my couch to do it. Why exactly is that a use case that does not and will never exist? That's literally the point of the Nintendo Switch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AlexF posted:

Yeah, I'm really OCD about my expensive gadgets and I'm not really happy with it. I'd love to change this, but it's buried so deep into my brain that I can't turn it off :(

I love this phone and I really hate myself that I can't overlook this one. The volume rocker on my GFs two year old Moto X is supernice, the buttons on my $200 Nextbit Robin were clicky as hell, yet Google can't seem to QC their iPhone flagship killer (which it absolutely is IMO) so well that these things aren't loose or don't rattle.

Here's the thing: When I'm typing (I'm typing in portrait mode) my right index finger rests upon the volume button which then moves and makes a sound everytime it hits the phones body. Which it does constantly because my hands are moving. So I'm typing and hear *clickclickclick* which really doesn't translate into the premium user experience that Google is going for here, no?

I really can't stress enough how much I love anything else about the phone. Android has never been this smooth, the camera is like God handed me a new toy personally and it's just all around awesome. Except for this one button. Let's just hope third time's the charm, huh?

↓ Edit: Come on, man. Is this really what this thread has become? One bad word about a Google phone and you're a nutjob? Google Pixel volume buttons and you'll find more than a few people complaining about the same thing ↓

No, we're making fun of you because you're a headcase and freaking out about volume buttons.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its always the buttons that bring out the odd ones, this isn't the first time

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

I would say it's a case of minimalism, I suppose.
Wanting your phone to do everything a dedicated computer and cell phone do in one device isn't minimalism, my dude.

quote:

Yes today I can continue an email from drafts, but I have to take my laptop out of my bag, put it on it's dock, wait for it to boot up, sign in, wait for things to finish loading, open up Chrome or my local email app, THEN continue.

vs.

Take my phone out of my pocket, put it on dock, continue.

See how much easier that is? Yes, I could just finish whatever I'm doing on my phone, but despite the strides made on mobile phones there's nothing that replaces a full sized keyboard for typing anything. I hate having to type more than a few words on a phone.
TMy MBP only takes a few seconds to get to a usable state and the battery is large enough I don't need any dock with wires to keep working without worrying about whether or not I'll be able to talk to people later that day. No matter what mobile OS you're doing, a butt service already handles the majority of the situations people run into.

quote:

Where did I say I wanted to play a "phone game" on a PC? I want to continue playing a game on my phone, that is already running at 1080p+ ( depending on your phone ) on a large 55"+ TV that is running also at 1080p+. So it will look the same only bigger and I can sit on my couch to do it. Why exactly is that a use case that does not and will never exist? That's literally the point of the Nintendo Switch.
The most successful mobile games are designed around the ways you interact with a phone, not duplicating K+M or controller on a screen. If you've seen things on the new Apple TV, you'd probably get what I'm saying. You have something that was designed to be seen on a 5" screen and now it's 55"; you've got low poly models, low resolution textures, an improperly-scaled UI, etc. and nothing works quite right because you're controlling Two Dots or whatever with a keyboard and mouse now as opposed to the original control method.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 9, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is taking their update withholding to a new ridiculous level by refusing to push the Note 7 disabling update.

I just read that. I wonder how the person is going to be able to call for 911 when it explodes on them???

They'll push it out after christmas, when its slow. They don't want new sales being muddled by in person phone swaps (no $$$).

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hey guys I really don't like the way my pixels bezels are shaped, it reflects light oddly. Anybody else have this problem?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nintendo switch has physical controllers that snap on the side when in portable mode, so that's why it works for that device but would be a mess for a phone.

incoherent posted:

I just read that. I wonder how the person is going to be able to call for 911 when it explodes on them???

They'll push it out after christmas, when its slow. They don't want new sales being muddled by in person phone swaps (no $$$).

Yeah, they later said they'll push it Jan 8th.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Nintendo switch has physical controllers that snap on the side when in portable mode, so that's why it works for that device but would be a mess for a phone.

Yeah, they later said they'll push it Jan 8th.

Was that Verizon or Sprint?

or both?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

For anyone in the UK considering a Google Pixel: This is the company that Google is using to ship their phones There are no other options. I'd hold off until it becomes available through Amazon etc, unless you live near one of their depots.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nimper posted:

Was that Verizon or Sprint?

or both?

Verizon, dunno what Sprint is doing. Probably pushing out with the rest.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Verizon, dunno what Sprint is doing. Probably pushing out with the rest.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/devices-apps-and-services/sprint-samsung-galaxy-note7-exchange-update--dec-9-2016.htm

They're waiting until January 8th.

Pitchforks here, get yer pitchforks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TollTheHounds posted:

So...you want to be able to throw your phone in a dock while you hop on the couch and keep playing clash of clans or whatever, except with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Or are you saying you want full versions of console games on your phone a la the Switch, except on a device as small as a phone?

Either way, you're sticking something everyone uses all the time in an immobile dock. What happens when someone calls you or you get a text? What happens when you get a notification you want to check out?

I get what you mean and it's not like the concept couldn't work or I don't like it in theory but it's like some kind of homercar Padfone.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I'm with button dude. For 870 loving euros this thing better have nice clicky buttons.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
He's not complaining that it's mushy, just that the button rattles around. Mine is clicky but I can rock it towards the front and back of the phone a little bit. I can't get it to make a sound while doing that, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Hey guys I really don't like the way my pixels bezels are shaped, it reflects light oddly. Anybody else have this problem?

I honestly can't tell if you're being earnest or making fun of people with odd complaints.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
You'd think after almost every Nexus model had issues with loose buttons they'd have worked to get it right for their new premium phone. That said mine like most is nice and clicky this time round, hallelujah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most people throw their phone in a case and never touch the buttons directly. There has to be a certain allowance for manufacturing variances. I can imagine a complaint if the button moved to the point where it could jam sideways in the spot, a little wiggle though is acceptable.

These are mass manufactured devices, they can't start tossing out units due to a few mm wiggle in a button nor is this phone unique. Do a search on iPhone home button loose to see similar results.

It's like when people returned kindles over and over again because the light spreader wasn't PERFECTLY uniform. Perfect is the anomaly in most devices and abusing return policies over and over makes things worse for everyone.

I've seen posts where people have exchanged the same TV 6 times. At some point you need to either accept the flaws of the thing you purchased or move on. Hunting for the unicorn is fool's errand.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Put a glass screen protector on my pixel XL, I don't know how people use these things. It's hideous and slowly becoming covered in very visible prints

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

Most people throw their phone in a case and never touch the buttons directly. There has to be a certain allowance for manufacturing variances. I can imagine a complaint if the button moved to the point where it could jam sideways in the spot, a little wiggle though is acceptable.

These are mass manufactured devices, they can't start tossing out units due to a few mm wiggle in a button nor is this phone unique. Do a search on iPhone home button loose to see similar results.

It's like when people returned kindles over and over again because the light spreader wasn't PERFECTLY uniform. Perfect is the anomaly in most devices and abusing return policies over and over makes things worse for everyone.

I've seen posts where people have exchanged the same TV 6 times. At some point you need to either accept the flaws of the thing you purchased or move on. Hunting for the unicorn is fool's errand.

Returning items that have defects is literally the entire point of refund policies. I mean, I get what you mean, but you can't really fault people for expecting something they bought to work as advertised, especially when you're spending more money for what's supposed to be a quality product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Of all the crazy conspiracy theories on the internet this one is so believable I hesitate to even call it speculative. I've always had problems with its inconsistency but I've never thought to connect that to their love of live A/B testing. You're a genius!
If this was the case, someone would probably have reverse engineered some proof by now. Chances are that I'm just stupid, but I could swear the keyboard is more accurate after a system wipe. Maybe there's some adaptive algorithm I'm upsetting and confusing over time.