Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
mods plz change my name to Spite Podesta

Edit: Hey this isn't the trump thread

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Resogun is getting 4k+HDR patch soon according to Digital Foundry

Lakbay posted:

I want Zero Dawn to be good but the last gameplay trailer I saw was the main character climbing an Ubisoft Tower to unlock a map of side activities and now I'm nervous

yeah but is it something she does once in the game or constantly with nothing else to do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly if Horizon is Far Cry Primal but prettier and with robots, I would have a blast with that

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MGS2 is the best because it went completely out of left field at the time and yet the story is hilariously accurate on how things are in today's society.

I played it again a year ago and was amazed at how correct it was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They all hold up really well IMO. I played the HD collection a few years back and loved it. Played MGS1 through an emulator and thought it was excellent.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Ularg posted:

:smith: I really liked Shadow Fall, most of all it was a drat fine looking game.

I'm curious, what else did you like about that game? I played through the campaign earlier this year and I thought it was terrible, the only - barely -acceptable levels being the first after the tutorial and the epilogue. Definitely the worst level design and scripting I've ever seen in a AAA FPS, I couldn't believe it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I liked Shadow Fall too. I don't remember much about the campaign, but the multiplayer was really fun. Of course there wasn't much else out at the time... CoD: Ghosts and BF4 when it was still a hot, crashing mess, so it was pretty good by those standards.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcFRgJwE2k

trico is amazing. my real cat does nearly all this rear end in a top hat stuff only smaller and less deadly to humans. i've trained my whole life for this moment of frustration

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

I'm curious, what else did you like about that game? I played through the campaign earlier this year and I thought it was terrible, the only - barely -acceptable levels being the first after the tutorial and the epilogue. Definitely the worst level design and scripting I've ever seen in a AAA FPS, I couldn't believe it.

Well it's a lot worse now that we have way better examples of current gen games. I enjoyed it when it came out, it hasn't aged perfectly well. But I still think the game looks good. And I like the interaction with your drone buddy.

I wish Shadowfall had vehicle sections, warthog style.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

The Killzone games are like the most generic FPS games I've ever played, I can't believe they keep making them. They're like tech demos for games that never get made. The engine looks great but the games are relentlessly boring, going back to the original on PS2

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
The Killzone they made for the Vita is a legit fun game and I wish they would've ported it or something because it's such a pain to play for very long.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, Killzone: Mercenary is actually a pretty fun game for what it is. It's probably the best game in the series, and it wasn't even made by the real Guerrilla team! The Cambridge team made it, then they went on to make PSVR games because I guess big boy Guerrilla needed to make Mecha Monster Hunter.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcFRgJwE2k

trico is amazing. my real cat does nearly all this rear end in a top hat stuff only smaller and less deadly to humans. i've trained my whole life for this moment of frustration

I feel like I must play this game now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Killzone bullshot trailer that forced them to work hard and make that scene a reality was real good, the rest of killzone is pretty bad.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Killzone Mercenary should have been a gateway to a bunch of FPS games on the go that were actually fun, instead support got dropped for the whole system.
KZ1/2/3 were a good time though, sometimes you just wanna play a decent fps and cut some space nazis.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any good comprehensive guides for PS4 backups and transfers? My brother is doing a last minute trade-in (Gamestop offer ends in a few hours), so we're going to have to do this quick, but I don't want to gently caress this up.

We're trading in, so the backup has to be done ahead of time.

Alternatively, anything crucial to keep in mind during the process?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It takes like 10 hours.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lets hang out posted:

His tapes in mgs5 were super good because they reveal that he never stopped being that cool british guy who liked big boss a lot, he just accidently created a monster that spun completely out of his control

This was a really cool twist and didn't feel like a cheap retcon to me because it fit perfectly with the series themes of people not having final control of their reputation and their offspring. Poor Zero :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It takes like 10 hours.

Why? It's not like I need the (non save) game files backed up?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Killzone Mercenary is great and the best possible shooter experience that you can have on a mobile device, for what that's worth. It's also good in its own right with fluid gameplay, adaptable levels with several challenges and ways to play. The multiplayer was really fun and the only multi shooter on any console that i've enjoyed. Don't know if anyone's still playing but you can use bots. Highly recommend the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's worth pointing out that while KZ Mercenary is the best Killzone game, most of what makes it cool is that it's actually a solid AAA production on portable and bringing it to PS4 would be kind of pointless because there are dozens of better similar games.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rinkles posted:

Why? It's not like I need the (non save) game files backed up?

If you don't need the actual install data buy only the saves if he has plus then the saves should be in the cloud.

Else just backup the saves to USB and format the ps4.

It'll only take 10 hours if your backing up everything for a system transfer and don't want to download everything again.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Figuring out how to communicate with the cat is a puzzle similar to The Witness,

although the game does have a loving story instead of being a zany-art-piece so if Witness exhausted your patience you should still give Guardian a shot because there is a narrative carrot-on-a-stick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Puddin posted:

If you don't need the actual install data buy only the saves if he has plus then the saves should be in the cloud.

Else just backup the saves to USB and format the ps4.

There's no need for install data right? I thought you couldn't transfer installations anyway?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So dear goons, I'm pulling the trigger soon and was about to get a PS4 pro for 399€ but game got a nice pack with 1tb slim+Uncharted 4+Bloodborne GOTY+2 controllers for 369€. Should I stick with the pro considering that I'll be buying Bloodborne as soon as I sign to PSN?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

So dear goons, I'm pulling the trigger soon and was about to get a PS4 pro for 399€ but game got a nice pack with 1tb slim+Uncharted 4+Bloodborne GOTY+2 controllers for 369€. Should I stick with the pro considering that I'll be buying Bloodborne as soon as I sign to PSN?

That's a really good deal. Only get the pro if you have a 4K TV or think you might get one in the next couple of years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

if you won't miss the extra money get the pro. loading is faster and if you upgrade tvs later, 4k/hdr is really really impressive to have as an option. i'm blown away by infamous and uncharted 4 with hdr. its nuts.

if you're on a budget and could use the extra cash its not a game changer.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I figure anybody without a PS4 should go ahead and invest the extra $100 into a PS4 Pro if things like better frame rates and better graphics sounds good to you. We'll see more out of the Pro going forward. I'm not expecting too much out of games that are already released now as far as Pro patches go.

Then, one day when you get that 4K TV, you'll already be set 👍🏻. I don't plan on going 4K for a while. I've got a Pro coming in the mail.

My biggest issue is my trigger finger with stuff like Until Dawn and Ratchet & Clank sitting out there on the PSN store for only $20 and I don't even have the drat console yet and have a huge backlog already...

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Slims are actively 200$ less than Pros if you acknowledge the double pack in games

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you don't have a PS4 and you want one to play PS4 games and you don't have a 4K TV the slim will be fine, especially if you're getting a good deal on it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry, just want to make one thing absolutely clear.

Backed up save data should work fine on a new, different system without any shenanigans, correct?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

zolthorg posted:

Slims are actively 200$ less than Pros if you acknowledge the double pack in games

Still not worth it unless you play nothing but low budget indie games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

The best thing is also the worst thing about TLG: the creature really acts like a giant lovable catte and when I say that I mean he never really feels like he's just an AI, it all feels very natural and the amount of things he just idly does is incredible. On the other hand he really acts like a giant catte and that includes such behavior as starting blankly at you as you yell at it to do something, getting distracted by every dam mm thing that comes along and just generally doing what it wants.

Still, it's cool as hell and if you can put up with it, it is really remarkable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Still not worth it unless you play nothing but low budget indie games.

I was playing games fine on my regular PS4 all along and without a 4K TV I think I would be happy to have $200 in games instead. If the performance takes a nosedive in the future I will not consider that an incentive to upgrade my console but as a sign to get the gently caress out of console gaming

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: a regular PS4 can only play low budget indie games now? Most of the games don't even get a performance boost yet from the pro and the ones that do seem marginally better at best.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And that's not taking into account the current games which actually look worse / perform worse in Pro Mode because of bugs / bad optimization

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: a regular PS4 can only play low budget indie games now? Most of the games don't even get a performance boost yet from the pro and the ones that do seem marginally better at best.

Unless you're seeing every beautiful leaf of every tree rendered in crisp 4k at a permanent 60fps you might as well be playing a Commodore64

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
I have a Pro with a Sandisk SSD slapped in, no complaints. At least until I was over at a friend's who has an Xbox & saw how long it takes to load a BF1 map, and half the time it would load sans textures so it'd just be a black screen with a hud and map indicators. At home I'm in game in roughly a minute or less after selecting a map. His xbox would chug away for 5-10 minutes at a time. Insane.

We are on the right side of history boys.

Or at least, consider it worthwhile looking into SSD upgrades, I've seen the 960gb Sandisk II Extreme for as low as 250$AUD

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just wished they had kept the console ecosystem streamlined. If people are spending the dosh on a pro + ssd, you could get a good gaming PC for that price point, and with everything as messed up as it is with consoles now + PC getting easier, all the complaints about patching and crashes and system configuration are no longer valid. It took me 18 hours to download and install the day one update for FF15

I mean, once I see Knack 2 on the Pro I might be convinced to change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

We're talking about choosing between a Pro and a Slim, for someone who has neither.

• Locked thread