Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

grack posted:

You can use white vinegar in place of ammonia.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

vv Will do.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Just make sure to dilute to ~10%.

Edit:

Better picture this time. Still working out the kinks of my lighting setup

grack fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 9, 2016

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Iroshizuku Yama-guri is my go-to dark brown ink, the shading is ridiculous.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

On Brown chat I love Montblanc Toffee Brown, really dark with great shading

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

For (arguably) brown, I'm stuck right now on Jentle rikyu-cha, or its close match Diamine Salamander. The Jentle flows quite well from the finest nib I have, a Nakaya fine, and is my new ink of choice for that pen.

For straight brown, Diamine Ochre.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The people who overdecorate their bullet journals are mostly artsy high school girls who have made a photographic lifestyle out of the "studying" aesthetic. In other words, they have a whole lot more time to devote to assembling the pages with all of the stickers and fancy layouts, but you know their grades are poo poo because even though they "study" they spend a lot more time assembling the page than they do memorizing the material. If you flip through the bullet journal tags on tumblr or whatever and actually read their entries, it's pretty clear that none of them have busy enough schedules that they actually need a bullet journal so they have to fill the dates with uplifting quotes or whatever.

But that's what's nice about it, it's as mod-able as you like it to be. If there's no significant difference between an event and a task, just don't distinguish the two. You can mark every thing you want to write down with a dash if you want. The point is that it's basically the simplest method of do-it-yourself at-a-glance planning that gives you an excuse to use a fountain pen and be slightly creative about it. So in that sense, it's as effective and elaborate as you make it. Don't overthink it - my first experiments with it quickly reduced it to at-a-glance calendar on the left, everything worth noting with dashes on the right.

-Buy blinds
-Finish reading Moby-Dick
-Return "The Goldfinch" to [friend]

etc. I don't distinguish a task from a note from an event, unless it's something really important with a specific deadline, which I might add an asterisk to or write it in a different color. It makes it stand out more from the key-heavy arrows and squares and such.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I just picked up a Pelikan 205 demonstrator. It's beautiful. However it writes a bit scratchy. The ink still flows well but rather than feeling like I'm gliding across the page, I get alot of feedback from the nib. It IS an EF nib which may have something to do with it. Do you guys think this is normal or are the tines perhaps misaligned? I can't really see that well as I don't have a loupe.

Thanks!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Heath posted:

The people who overdecorate their bullet journals are mostly artsy high school girls who have made a photographic lifestyle out of the "studying" aesthetic. In other words, they have a whole lot more time to devote to assembling the pages with all of the stickers and fancy layouts, but you know their grades are poo poo because even though they "study" they spend a lot more time assembling the page than they do memorizing the material. If you flip through the bullet journal tags on tumblr or whatever and actually read their entries, it's pretty clear that none of them have busy enough schedules that they actually need a bullet journal so they have to fill the dates with uplifting quotes or whatever.

But that's what's nice about it, it's as mod-able as you like it to be. If there's no significant difference between an event and a task, just don't distinguish the two. You can mark every thing you want to write down with a dash if you want. The point is that it's basically the simplest method of do-it-yourself at-a-glance planning that gives you an excuse to use a fountain pen and be slightly creative about it. So in that sense, it's as effective and elaborate as you make it. Don't overthink it - my first experiments with it quickly reduced it to at-a-glance calendar on the left, everything worth noting with dashes on the right.

-Buy blinds
-Finish reading Moby-Dick
-Return "The Goldfinch" to [friend]

etc. I don't distinguish a task from a note from an event, unless it's something really important with a specific deadline, which I might add an asterisk to or write it in a different color. It makes it stand out more from the key-heavy arrows and squares and such.

I spent a while getting on my pinterest and looking at the stuff and wow, you are right. The tasks are all like: laundry, plan meals, go grocery shopping. Mind blown, I had never eyeballed it before.
I stick to this page: http://www.thelazygeniuscollective.com/blog/how-to-bullet-journal with my philosophy, and I doodle in it for fun for the colorful part.

I still need to get a super good brown and grey ink. I have most of the other colors I want, those are my missing pieces.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I basically use my Hobonichi as a bullet journal. I'm going to steal the signifiers from that article for next year's, which I have all ready to go, and grab another small gridded notebook to use for collections. Thanks for the link!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

kim jong-illin posted:

Iroshizuku Yama-guri is my go-to dark brown ink, the shading is ridiculous.

I got a sample of this and it is a great medium brown color. My sample of Noodler's #41 Brown is almost the same color but with much less shading.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lowness 72 posted:

I just picked up a Pelikan 205 demonstrator. It's beautiful. However it writes a bit scratchy. The ink still flows well but rather than feeling like I'm gliding across the page, I get alot of feedback from the nib. It IS an EF nib which may have something to do with it. Do you guys think this is normal or are the tines perhaps misaligned? I can't really see that well as I don't have a loupe.

Thanks!

I'd bet the tines are misaligned. Is it more scratchy in one direction than another?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Went out Christmas shopping and picked up a Hero 9201 for myself, because I am bad at Christmas shopping.

Nice little pen, I got some J. Herbin Gris Nuage to go with it, impressed for the price. Nice line, smooth nib, really can't complain.

Love the ink colour too, it's different enough without being too flashy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

atholbrose posted:

I basically use my Hobonichi as a bullet journal. I'm going to steal the signifiers from that article for next year's, which I have all ready to go, and grab another small gridded notebook to use for collections. Thanks for the link!

Same here. I've kinda gone from "bullet journal" to "I put a box next to things when I write them down so it looks like a list," though. I like making checkmarks when I do a thing, so I didn't find the notations for moving tasks to other days super useful after a while.

The fanciest I get is writing school stuff, work stuff and home stuff in different colors so I know at a glance where things are piling up the worst.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Sorry to bother, I checked the OP but didn't see anything. What are the rules about trading pens in this thread?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tfw you add a random ink sample to your order from Goulet and they send you an ink you already have a bottle of. :sigh:

At least it's a color i like (asa-gao).

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you're after a nice blue you can get Montblanc Blue for BMW express shipped from Germany for free using the BMW lifestyle website. Took 3 days to get to Australia for a grand total of around $25 AUD.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Korwen posted:

Sorry to bother, I checked the OP but didn't see anything. What are the rules about trading pens in this thread?

Don't have an official answer, but we've had goons buy/sell in the thread so I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Megabound posted:

Montblanc Blue for BMW

This has to be used by some of the most obnoxious people on the planet.

I want a Sheaffer-sourced Lincoln Taupe let the recipients of my letters know just how I feel about the kids these days.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What you're really looking for is actually Toyota/Pilot Champagne Gold.

The Lincoln one actually sounds kinda nice.

Thanks for all those brown suggestions — I'm glad to know that for "more expensive than US-market Iroshizuku" there's more than just Caren d'Asche. Also, I'm glad to know there's an ink color called Tears of a Clown, for when I want to spend $45 on pink. It actually seems like Herbin's Brazil Cocoa (because like hell can I remember how to spell that properly in french) is pretty close to what I want, except for the writing samples where it looks yellow instead…

Now, flipping through those ink reviews I've seen occasional mentions of new formulations of J. Herbin, and something about EU reformulations. I also noticed that everyone who has reviewed Vert Empire in the past few years has a very different green than I have; this isn't too surprising, since my bottle is probably four years old. Does anyone have any insight into that? I'd hate to order a new bottle of Poussiere de Lune and find that it's no longer as magical as it once was…

On the plus side, I've noticed Jetpens carries those 10ml Herbin bottles, which is pretty nice — too bad they don't do sets like they do with the perfumed inks…

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There were a bunch of reformulations of EU inks, along the same line as the IFRA changing its regulations on what could and couldn't be used in perfumes, because of consumer safety/labeling requirements under EU law. Most manufacturers won't talk about what they did to reformulate the ink or, often, even which inks got reformulated, so your best bet is to ask questions on forums and hope someone has both versions and can compare.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Noodler's Golden Brown quite a bit, although I haven't used it myself. It's on my To Get list.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So the 2017 Lamy SEs have popped up on Amazon Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N0F9QSD - Al-Star

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N1GQOFW/ - Safari

The Safari appears to be an extremely dark blue while the Al-Star looks like a lighter version of the Ocean Blue that's available. I have an Ocean Blue and I love it, but I may have to pick this one up. :ohdear:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello fountain pen thread!
I'm looking for a Christmas gift for my dear friend who is really into these pens. But I myself have no idea about them, at all!
So I'm hoping for suggestions for prettier non-clear pens.
He currently has these on this

Which are called these:

quote:

from top [left] to bottom [right] you can see:
pussycat fur, lol
Waterman - birthday gift from beloved 25 odd years ago <3
Pilot V-Pen - excellent disposable and cheap pen with v.good nib for price - ideal noob pen
Lamy Safari Vista - very good 'starter' pen - demonstrator model so can see ink colour
Pilot Prera - another 'starter' & demonstrator with moar excellent Japanese nib quality
Pilot Kakuno - cheap 'student' pen with smiley nib - srsly, google it :)
TWSBI Diamond 580AL LE Pink - my first 'next level' pen & it's gorgeous :D
2 x J Herbin branded cheap and cheerful pens
And he also has Pilot Plumix and Faber-Castell Loom on order.

He lives in UK so I would very much prefer UK based web stores, Amazon would be the best. Price can be umm.. I don't really know how much these pens really cost, but maybe up to 50 euros, that's 42 pounds. Maybe little bit more if well justified and shipping is cheap.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Have a look at the Italix range on mrpen.co.uk. They are well regarded and excellent nibs by all accounts.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Slimchandi posted:

Have a look at the Italix range on mrpen.co.uk. They are well regarded and excellent nibs by all accounts.

Yep. The Italix Parson's Essential is a very nice pen, in your price range, and comes with a good range of nibs and colors.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

SinineSiil posted:

Hello fountain pen thread!
I'm looking for a Christmas gift for my dear friend who is really into these pens. But I myself have no idea about them, at all!
So I'm hoping for suggestions for prettier non-clear pens.
He currently has these on this

Which are called these:

And he also has Pilot Plumix and Faber-Castell Loom on order.

He lives in UK so I would very much prefer UK based web stores, Amazon would be the best. Price can be umm.. I don't really know how much these pens really cost, but maybe up to 50 euros, that's 42 pounds. Maybe little bit more if well justified and shipping is cheap.

I don't know how Amazon UK is, but Amazon Canada is absolute crap for fountain pen stuff, other than Iroshizuku's premium inks for some reason. Things have crazy mark-ups compared to what I could buy from a US website like Goulet.

I'd consider a Pilot Metro/Pilot MR (same pen, different cartridges) and a bottle of ink, though that would probably be under your price point by a bit. Their fine and medium nibs both swap with the Prera/Plumix's 1.0mm nib. Maybe two in different designs? They come in a range of colours and patterns.

TWSBI also has a few non-clear options, including the mini, which is a compact--but equal quality--sibling of the pink 580 your friend has. I use mine as much as my 580. (Nibs not shareable.) There's also the Classic in a couple colours. Both of those would be close to your price point, and on par with the pink 580.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

atholbrose posted:

Yep. The Italix Parson's Essential is a very nice pen, in your price range, and comes with a good range of nibs and colors.

I have this pen, got it from mrpen.co.uk, and absolutely love it. 35 England dollars, roughly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

My Man Shran posted:

This has to be used by some of the most obnoxious people on the planet.

I want a Sheaffer-sourced Lincoln Taupe let the recipients of my letters know just how I feel about the kids these days.

Not going to lie, but I'd love an ink that was close to Subaru's World Rally Blue Pearl.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That parsons essentials amber I a pretty pen. How hard are they to acquire stateside?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ZeusCannon posted:

That parsons essentials amber I a pretty pen. How hard are they to acquire stateside?

You must order them from mrpen.co.uk. That was quite easy in my case, I paid via Paypal and got the pen within a week and a half. The amber with shipping to the us is ~$58 right now, less than what I paid when I got mine.

Occasionally they show up on Massdrop, but not at such a discount that it's worth putting up with Massdrop's slowness and wonky shipping for, and the last price I remember seeing there was really, really close to this one.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Does anyone know what the teal ink is in the latter half of pictures for this pen is? Or some way to find out?

https://www.gouletpens.com/edison-nouveau-premiere-fountain-pen-arctic-currents/p/ED-Premiere-Winter2017

Alternatively, whats a good teal besides IROSHIZUKU SYO-RO / KU-JAKU, which are very good but I would like to consider some others.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GenericGirlName posted:

Alternatively, whats a good teal besides IROSHIZUKU SYO-RO / KU-JAKU, which are very good but I would like to consider some others.

Sailor Yama-Dori

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GenericGirlName posted:

Does anyone know what the teal ink is in the latter half of pictures for this pen is? Or some way to find out?

https://www.gouletpens.com/edison-nouveau-premiere-fountain-pen-arctic-currents/p/ED-Premiere-Winter2017

Goulet is a very friendly and down-to-earth company. I'm absolutely sure that they'd try to help if you just emailed them, though no guarantee that they'd remember what ink it is themselves.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

oh no thats really good too...

404notfound posted:

Goulet is a very friendly and down-to-earth company. I'm absolutely sure that they'd try to help if you just emailed them, though no guarantee that they'd remember what ink it is themselves.

This was a great suggestion. I emailed them and they told me its Diamine Umber, which is way less teal looking than I thought, but I will probably buy it anyway and see. Welp time to buy a bunch of ink and not really use them ever again...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GenericGirlName posted:

I don't recognize the bottle but the color looks pretty close to Noodler's Blue Nose Bear.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

atholbrose posted:

You must order them from mrpen.co.uk. That was quite easy in my case, I paid via Paypal and got the pen within a week and a half. The amber with shipping to the us is ~$58 right now, less than what I paid when I got mine.

Occasionally they show up on Massdrop, but not at such a discount that it's worth putting up with Massdrop's slowness and wonky shipping for, and the last price I remember seeing there was really, really close to this one.

Since you have one can I ask what type of nib you picked? I'm still bad at figuring out the intricacies of those other than using the default lamy or pilot ones

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Heath posted:

I don't recognize the bottle but the color looks pretty close to Noodler's Blue Nose Bear.

Hmm... that does look more correct... I've ordered a bunch of green/teal samples including this and I will see what I like best

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Not going to lie, but I'd love an ink that was close to Subaru's World Rally Blue Pearl.

My Secret Santa is so cool. :3:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ZeusCannon posted:

Since you have one can I ask what type of nib you picked? I'm still bad at figuring out the intricacies of those other than using the default lamy or pilot ones

Just a fine. I've flirted with the idea of getting a medium italic or cursive italic one as well -- I do really like the burgundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ZeusCannon posted:

atholbrose posted:

Just a fine. I've flirted with the idea of getting a medium italic or cursive italic one as well -- I do really like the burgundy.

I have the burgundy in medium italic, and it is wonderful. It's a wider line than the Nemosine .6mm stubs, but narrower than more common 1.1mm stubs. They did a great job on the grind.