Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Bad call IMHO.

AMS 1 was amazing but then they hosed up all the goodwill from that movie in the 2nd movie and look where we are now.

Trailer looks great though - the guy looks like a total dweeb but I guess that fits the role. Better than Maguire!

ASM1 was a garbage fire and a train wreck at the same time. Two flaming garbage trains crashing headon.

It's just ASM2 taped some septic tanks to the same trains and sent them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It has one of the best fight sequences in a superhero movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fno5Qpm7w

It's a little flakey with the death of Gwen's dad and the end sequence of the construction vehicles giving him something to hit but overall it was a great take on Spider-Man.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Amazing Spider-Man was... okay.
Andrew Garfield was a pretty good Spidey but I thought he was too "cool" to be Peter, he just acted like he was the poo poo the entire time... Emma Stone was pretty great as Gwen though.
The entire thing with The Lizard felt completely rushed and almost forced in for the sake of having conflict in the movie, I was getting the impression that they'd save Connors transforming for the second movie or the very end of this one but nope... I just didn't like the second half of the movie pretty much.

War for the Planet of the Apes looks loving gorgeous, I'm still surprised how fantastic this reboot has been.
I'm guessing this is going to be the penultimate entry leading up to the actual remake of Planet of the Apes now, can't wait to see how they handle that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They have the fighting quips so I'm all in.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ASM1 had some really neat scenes and applications of the whole "spider powers" thing, like the fight linked there, and Pete using his webs in the sewer to track vibrations. Too bad the rest of it was just a find-replace of 2002's Spidey.

Spider-Man's my favorite superhero, but yeah, I can't get very excited about Another Setup Movie. At least they're skipping the actual origin this time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rough Lobster posted:

It had Gary Oldman as the main villain who I couldn't stop rooting for, and an incredibly weaksauce main character who was really forgettable. I remember a badass monkey riding a horse while shooting two SAWs though, that was neat.

It looks like I'll be rooting for the bad guy again, since it's Woody Harrelson (and I love him). They keep trying to make the apes the noble protagonists but I remember what happens down the line.

gently caress off outta here with this. The apes have Maurice which means the apes win.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Weirdly enough the old Planet of the Apes movies are more plausible than this series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sunday morning cheap early bird screenings on luxury screen with recliner chairs are the way to see movies.
I'm more of a Saturday afternoon guy, I like going to a theater with some people in it, just not with a lot of people in it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I thought the first reboot was great, the sequel faltered a bit (I really thought Gary Oldman was.... sub-par in it) but still entertaining. Looks to be getting it's sea legs again with Woody in this one so I'm all in.

And yeah chalk another one up for the "pleasantly surprised that the reboots have been so good" camp.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Nice to see Matthew Mcconaughey with a shaved head again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

gently caress off outta here with this. The apes have Maurice which means the apes win.

Maurice will probably join the humans.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alhazred posted:

Maurice will probably join the humans.

Then the humans win.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Vintersorg posted:

It has one of the best fight sequences in a superhero movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fno5Qpm7w

It's a little flakey with the death of Gwen's dad and the end sequence of the construction vehicles giving him something to hit but overall it was a great take on Spider-Man.

That's actually very very bad

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I like it. Long shots that make it easy to follow the spatial layout down the hallway and stuff where other movies like the recent Marvel stuff seem to prefer fast cuts that obscure movements and locations. Good use of his web things in different ways for movement, combat, etc. A nice contained space instead of a rooftop or an empty street or a deserted warehouse. Also love that shot of him crawling over the lizard like a spider, cocooning him. Feels like that influenced him crawling on Ant-Man's head in the newer movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Long shots of boring bad action where an ugly cgi character mean mugs spiderman and neither guy apparently gets hurt at all by the others attacks

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I don't get the last line of that trailer, sure it is already a planet of the apes because we are the absolute apex of the apex species. Humans are apes too

Or is that some 5 dimensional meta narrative?

I doubt they will remake the original as part of this series, it kinda loses it's punch if humans were just defeated a few years before the spaceman lands. "AMAFAGAD you crazy fools you really did it!!!!" screams spaceman wosname. "Yes like a couple of years ago, everybody was there." Replies Dr Zaus, who got his doctorate at the Simian Institute of Recent Human Studies. Caesar shouts "We are the Humans now."

apechat

Also the idea of chimps, of all animals, being amiable animals compared to Humans ignores, like all evidence of chimps ever. Chimps are nasty fuckers that will rip your face off if you look at them funny. They are so psychotic they patrol their territory and murder any stray chimp not from their group, and the alpha will murder any member of his group, including babies, that he doesn't like. Unless they are Bonobos, in which case, earth becomes one large orgy.

As for Maurice, male Orang's are one of, if not the, rapiest creature on earth. They are even rapier than drakes, and perhaps a gurm character.. Life as a girl Orang is one long attempt to avoid being raped. One funny/terrifying anecdote I read about Julia Roberts doing a doc about saving the Orang-u-tan, almost got abducted by a male for a rape session, but was saved by some locals with big sticks.

They are funny to watch on TV though. Most doc's I have seen kinda skim over the less pleasant aspects of apery.

/apechat

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zzulu posted:

Long shots of boring bad action where an ugly cgi character mean mugs spiderman and neither guy apparently gets hurt at all by the others attacks

Sorry about your sight issues - have you been to a eye doctor yet? May need to get them checked.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Here's a GIS result for 'handsome lizard':

That would've been cool, just literally make him a huge gecko.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electromax posted:

I like it. Long shots that make it easy to follow the spatial layout down the hallway and stuff where other movies like the recent Marvel stuff seem to prefer fast cuts that obscure movements and locations. Good use of his web things in different ways for movement, combat, etc. A nice contained space instead of a rooftop or an empty street or a deserted warehouse. Also love that shot of him crawling over the lizard like a spider, cocooning him. Feels like that influenced him crawling on Ant-Man's head in the newer movie.

I feel like Civil War was far superior in showcasing a Spider-Man fight. You got a real feel for his strength (not just holding up that jetway, but stopping Bucky's punch cold), his agility looked loads smoother, and you actually got a glimpse of his spider sense in action without having to put a flag on it (the "uh-oh" before he dodges a sign hurtled at him without seeing it). Plus all the fancy incorporation of his web looked a lot better than the ASM fight.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Sorry about your sight issues - have you been to a eye doctor yet? May need to get them checked.
Ohhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay here's the trailer for Assassin's Creed that we worked on as opposed to domestic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWnOybPAhM4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ohhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

BURN SKWAD

flosofl posted:

I feel like Civil War was far superior in showcasing a Spider-Man fight. You got a real feel for his strength (not just holding up that jetway, but stopping Bucky's punch cold), his agility looked loads smoother, and you actually got a glimpse of his spider sense in action without having to put a flag on it (the "uh-oh" before he dodges a sign hurtled at him without seeing it). Plus all the fancy incorporation of his web looked a lot better than the ASM fight.

The Civil War fight was really good - keeping Spider-Man as a spastic is the better move.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

Here's a GIS result for 'handsome lizard':

That would've been cool, just literally make him a huge gecko.

That's no handsome lizard, handsome lizards are skinks

Alternatively - Monitor lizards:

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

kiimo posted:

Okay here's the trailer for Assassin's Creed that we worked on as opposed to domestic.

Congrats, that's miles above the other trailers and I think it's mostly because it's the only one that seems to embrace the ridiculous plot-lines of the game. The movie still looks kind of poo poo, though. I'm sorry.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well it is a videogame movie

Has there been any good ones yet? I feel like I'm out of the videogame-movie loop

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The original Resident Evil is a guilty pleasure.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_xCXE0sIc

Need a gold-tinged poster showing only Scrooge's eye with the tagline "Life Is Like A Hurricane"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Zzulu posted:

Has there been any good ones yet? I feel like I'm out of the videogame-movie loop

The first Mortal Kombat. Dead or Alive and Advent Children (Final Fantasy 7) are guilty pleasures of mine. Also the extremely 90s animated Street Fighter movie.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 9, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Zzulu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Then the humans win.

Alternatively, because he's a cynical fucker he just walks away from it all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

That's actually really good.

Reminding everyone these are all talented actors (and opening with Irons chewing scenery in the best possible way) was a good play IMO.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kiimo posted:

That genuinely makes it look pretty good.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

kiimo posted:

I saw that trailer earlier today and was wondering why they waited until trailer #3 to put out one that makes the whole thing look interesting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Something something domestic something something New Regency.

We had to rename this trailer three times and keep pushing it to trick them into approving it. At one point it was going to be approved for use in Japan-only.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Nice to see Matthew Mcconaughey with a shaved head again.

That's the very first thing I said when Woody showed up in the trailer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Explains the premise really well, shows off the setting and actors, and includes a lot of better action beats. It should be the main trailer!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Much like the Spanish Inquisition, that was unexpected. Probably the best trailer cut for that movie.

Kiimo you glorious son of a bitch, you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Teagone and kiimo need to start their own company called TrAiLerZ and then make millions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I think that trailer walks you through the first half of the movie. I liked the one with less plot reveal and more action shots.

• Locked thread