Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Most Of Metroid And Like Two Castlevanias is not as good a name for a genre though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

metroidvania is a term for games with whips/grapple beams i think

I thought it was for games where you can roll up into a ball and kill vampires.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like a game that has a map that opens up as you get more of the abilities required to traverse it?

symphonoroids

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Monkey Fracas posted:

symphonoroids

This sounds like an illness.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's nothing we can do for him, he's got Symphonoroids. Just let him rest in the miserable pile of secrets until someone can get an ice beam and freeze some platforms to to recovery.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

SOTN and Super Metroid are at like polar opposites of 2D exploratory game design though

Can you elaborate?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Scuapsetrlmeevtarnoiiad. Just rolls off the tongue

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gimme your lunch money or I'll clock ya, Symphonoroid!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Can you elaborate?

Metroid is hyper linear to a fault (without the sequence breaking discovered later) and the difficulty comes from learning patterns and whatnot. Symphony is much more open from the beginning (even moreso with the second castle) and the XP system means it's easy to just math your way past sections later if you find them too tough, and there's a huge weapon variety that changes your playstyle how you want. Metroid has the straight upgrade path which is easiest to design around. It's like minimalism vs maximalism. I love both models but they play very differently.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe accurately describing the genre is a job for like one of those 15-syllable German words or something

or like an obscure musical genre descriptor that requires 7 hyphens

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Each genre will be defined by several paragraphs describing its similarity to, and differences from, Super Mario 64.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not really that big a deal but I do like talking about Metroid and Castlevania games, now that they're both dead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Action-exploration games? I dunno.

I mean, the defining feature of the "metroidvania" is that it's all about progressively finding new abilities that unlock new areas for you to explore. That's the primary difference between a "metroidvania" and just any old platformer, or at least that's how I always understood it. So "action-exploration" or something kind of covers both halves. It's a clunky term but so is "metroidvania."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

In Training posted:

SOTN and Super Metroid are at like polar opposites of 2D exploratory game design though

Closer than polar opposites, although I have a documented dislike of the term "Metroidvania". You are navigating an enclosed location and acquire abilities that allow you to progress to previously gated areas. You begin with a limited tool set for combat and traversal that expands through exploration, fight common enemies and set piece bosses, and your surroundings are mapped to a large grid that slowly fills in as you advance. Backtracking to areas you have already been through is rewarded with upgrades to your health or offensive capabilities, and there are non-violent characters who aid you along the way.

Not twins, no. But close enough to say "Hey, if you liked Super Metroid you should check out SotN," or vice versa. Well, maybe you wouldn't, but I would.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks car I didn't want that $900 for the holidays.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Metroid is hyper linear to a fault (without the sequence breaking discovered later) and the difficulty comes from learning patterns and whatnot. Symphony is much more open from the beginning (even moreso with the second castle) and the XP system means it's easy to just math your way past sections later if you find them too tough, and there's a huge weapon variety that changes your playstyle how you want. Metroid has the straight upgrade path which is easiest to design around. It's like minimalism vs maximalism. I love both models but they play very differently.

I don't think two design styles have to be identical for one to have obviously taken cues from another

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

In Training posted:

This is why Metroidvania is good term. By referencing both ends of the spectrum it covers everything in between.

The reason it's a bad term is because it's so long of a word.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's because one has guns and the other has swords

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

It's not really that big a deal but I do like talking about Metroid and Castlevania games, now that they're both dead

I guess there's always Bloodstained

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
And why is it that you park in a driveway and drive in a parkway?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

I don't think two design styles have to be identical for one to have obviously taken cues from another

No of course not, it's not an awful term. It just surprised me when I finally played the symphony style games earlier this year for the first time and they weren't really Metroid games in the style I was expecting. Like Ecclesia was the perfect game in that mold because they managed to combine the cool aspects of Symphony with the harder, stricter design of the classics. Love that game!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hey speaking of Metroidvania games, the new Shantae is out right now for regular backers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hey speaking of Metroidvania games, the new Shantae is out right now for regular backers.

I'm so jelly

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah. RIP :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

No of course not, it's not an awful term. It just surprised me when I finally played the symphony style games earlier this year for the first time and they weren't really Metroid games in the style I was expecting. Like Ecclesia was the perfect game in that mold because they managed to combine the cool aspects of Symphony with the harder, stricter design of the classics. Love that game!

Oh, yeah I see what you're saying. Personally I try to think of Metroidvanias as just the Castlevania games post-SotN that incorporated Metroid elements (in contrast to Classicvanias) but I recognize most people use it much more broadly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Oh, yeah I see what you're saying. Personally I try to think of Metroidvanias as just the Castlevania games post-SotN that incorporated Metroid elements (in contrast to Classicvanias) but I recognize most people use it much more broadly

I've gotten burned by the term applied to many boring indie games over the years of wanting more Metroid games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In Training posted:

I'm so jelly

I still haven't finished a Shantae game even though in theory they're right up my fuckin' alley

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I've gotten burned by the term applied to many boring indie games over the years of wanting more Metroid games

Still waiting for something as well-done as and in the same mold as Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Fusion

like decades now I guess? someone deliver me from my endless wandering in this gehenna of No Great 2D Metroid-ey Games

AM2R was pretty good, though...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I'm so jelly

Oh uh, so ...

Apparently the new Shantae game isn't a Metroidvania game at all. You don't even have a map. It's actually like, a straight up platformer sort of like Megaman X, the stages are structured where it's mostly a straight line to the boss, with some large rooms to work your way through, but there's lots of secrets and stuff you can go back for later with different abilities that give you new movement. You even get a "new transformation" screen after you finish each level like you beat a Megaman boss. The only thing is that it's mostly been entirely linear so far, you don't get a stage order choice like Megaman unfortunately.

So that's a bit unexpected. But aside from that:

- Art style is growing on me a lot, they put a LOT of work into the animations and poo poo looks really loving nice. The bosses look super good.
- Music is great, might be the best in the series.
- Plays pretty much exactly like previous games in terms of mechanics. Still pretty easy so far but you have low enough life that it feels like you need to pay attention anyway.
- Stages are kind of neat so far, lots of very large vertical rooms with a lot of platforming. Again it feels like a SNES platformer and not like a Metroid game or previous Shantae games at all. The big rooms feel similar to a lot of the large areas in Megaman X and Z.

So yeah, that's that. My early 1-hour review based on what I've played is that this already feels leaps and bounds better than the previous games, but gonna have to wait and see how much forced retreading of levels there is. I can see now why the alternate character modes are probably a lot more practical for them to do this time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Environmental Station Alpha is the one true indie Metroid. well that or AM2R

they should've called them Zeltroids because zelda series has a larger % of games with ability/tool gating than castlevania series does

also zeltroid sounds like a tasty mint

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Environmental Station Alpha is the one true indie Metroid. well that or AM2R

they should've called them Zeltroids because zelda series has a larger % of games with ability/tool gating than castlevania series does

also zeltroid sounds like a tasty mint

Zeltroid sounds like a Yiddish robot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I love Zelda make Zeldas please

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Monkey Fracas posted:

symphonoroids

I had these but then got some topical cream for them

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm still way early in the game but man Big Boss' philosophy just makes zero sense to me. Like I know eventually he turns into the bad guy but I really don't get how "the problem with the military is being beholden to representative government" is something you can even begin to think.

E: I know it's a bit silly of me to criticize the politics of a Metal Gear character but usually the crazy terrorists with weirdo philosophies aren't the playable character.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 10, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hey baby wanna look at my zeltroid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zeltroid is the muscle you use when you wall jump in super metroid

e:

they keep thinking bigger = better

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 10, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Captain, Zeltroid cruiser uncloaking directly in front of us!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavens to Zeldatroid! Exit the stage map, holding left even!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh uh, so ...

Apparently the new Shantae game isn't a Metroidvania game at all. You don't even have a map. It's actually like, a straight up platformer sort of like Megaman X, the stages are structured where it's mostly a straight line to the boss, with some large rooms to work your way through, but there's lots of secrets and stuff you can go back for later with different abilities that give you new movement. You even get a "new transformation" screen after you finish each level like you beat a Megaman boss. The only thing is that it's mostly been entirely linear so far, you don't get a stage order choice like Megaman unfortunately.

So that's a bit unexpected. But aside from that:

- Art style is growing on me a lot, they put a LOT of work into the animations and poo poo looks really loving nice. The bosses look super good.
- Music is great, might be the best in the series.
- Plays pretty much exactly like previous games in terms of mechanics. Still pretty easy so far but you have low enough life that it feels like you need to pay attention anyway.
- Stages are kind of neat so far, lots of very large vertical rooms with a lot of platforming. Again it feels like a SNES platformer and not like a Metroid game or previous Shantae games at all. The big rooms feel similar to a lot of the large areas in Megaman X and Z.

So yeah, that's that. My early 1-hour review based on what I've played is that this already feels leaps and bounds better than the previous games, but gonna have to wait and see how much forced retreading of levels there is. I can see now why the alternate character modes are probably a lot more practical for them to do this time.

This sounds sweet as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

they keep thinking bigger = better

I think there are a lot of people that really believe that though

• Locked thread