Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

the sexual Shiite posted:

at a local bank branch

Somebody in a truck took out the whole overhang at my local bank a while back. It wasn't off the building, but it was leaning over and needed to be rebuilt. The new one has a solid looking, brightly painted pipe mounted in front of it at the clearance height.

And the Arby's next door to them got struck by lightning once while I was driving past during a really bad storm. There was a little "tower" on one side of the building just big enough to put the sign on, sticking up maybe three feet or so above the rest of the roof. It got hit, and when I drove the other way later it was definitely blackened. I guess the rest of the store was Ok, since that was the only part they needed to rebuild afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my dad was hit by a 'heavy rail' train (and survived) during a bad snow storm when he was out working on the tracks back in the 80s. :(

on the other hand, some classmates in high school were walking down the track and got killed by a light rail train.

but anyway don't gently caress around with trains and don't be on/near the tracks while crossing any longer than you have to

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did they see the train headlight in their phone, I wonder? Did it dawn on them at all what was about to happen before it did?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I feel bad for the engineers and I feel horribly for those girl's families, so here's a similar oldie that we can all laugh about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ck5BnJBeY
How awesome is it that the engineer got to save a guy's life by kicking him in the face?
That also may be the greatest youtube freeze frame ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TVs Ian posted:

Somebody in a truck took out the whole overhang at my local bank a while back. It wasn't off the building, but it was leaning over and needed to be rebuilt. The new one has a solid looking, brightly painted pipe mounted in front of it at the clearance height.

What is it with bank overhangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiI7GyrHuw

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Charming man loses job after gloating over people killed by wildfires

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/12/alabama_man_loses_job_for_call.html

quote:

An Alabama man who referred to residents of Gatlinburg as "mouth-breathing, toothless, Trump-suckin' pond scum" in the wake of last week's deadly wildfires has lost his job and been targeted by social media users as a possible suspect in the blaze.

On Nov. 29, Coleman Bonner of Wessington in Chilton County posted a message to his personal Facebook page in regards to the wildfires in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevier County, Tennessee.

"Funny story. I was recently in Gatlinburg. Had a terrible time. I felt the place was a cesspool of consumerism and a bastion of the worst aspect of southern culture. Turns out a wildfire just burned most of the town to the ground. Good riddance, Gatlinburg. And good luck you mouth-breathing, toothless, diabetic, cousin-humpin,' mountain-dew chugging, moon-pie-munchin,' pall-mall smoking,', Trump-suckin' pond scum. (Chuckles and smiles like the smarmy liberal elitist I am," Bonner wrote.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

food court bailiff posted:

This article owns. I like the fact that it spends more time on the train engineers these brain donors emotionally scarred for life than the actual idiots who got themselves killed. Plus the selfie with the oncoming train headlight :eyepop:

I feel really bad for train conductors. I heard a stat somewhere that the ones here in Denmark are pretty much guaranteed to run over at least one idiot during their career. Like, they prepare them for it when they start out & all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

I feel really bad for train conductors. I heard a stat somewhere that the ones here in Denmark are pretty much guaranteed to run over at least one idiot during their career. Like, they prepare them for it when they start out & all.

I have a cousin who is an engineer with BNSF, and know several other conductors and engineers. Every single one of them has been in a fatality collision on the job, and it definitely fucks you up. Alcoholism and suicide are big problems in the profession.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How can a dumbass just hang out on a railway like that? I legitimately don't understand it. Maybe I'm sheltered because there are no trains where I grew up but they don't exactly make their potential as mile-long, five thousand-ton meat grinders a secret.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

How can a dumbass just hang out on a railway like that? I legitimately don't understand it. Maybe I'm sheltered because there are no trains where I grew up but they don't exactly make their potential as mile-long, five thousand-ton meat grinders a secret.

My friends and I used to hang out by the train tracks as kids. Busy ones too, which ironically is probably why none of us ever got hit. If you grew up around tracks that get used like once every three months I could see not thinking there's ever any danger.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Solice Kirsk posted:

My friends and I used to hang out by the train tracks as kids. Busy ones too, which ironically is probably why none of us ever got hit. If you grew up around tracks that get used like once every three months I could see not thinking there's ever any danger.

I feel like here in Iowa it's the opposite, people are so used to trains that they start to respect them less.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Like tell them they look bad in black or that they're bad singers?

Don't do that! They're already under a lot of pressure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Nards Pan posted:

Don't do that! They're already under a lot of pressure.

Yeah, you have to tread lightly

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Man, I feel like Hillary's campaign could have remade this ad with 70% of the same dialogue. :sad:

Train chat: I don't spend much time around train tracks, but one day I was just going for a walk around my area and wound up behind the tree line walking along a railroad track, a couple feet away because I had headphones on and I'm not an idiot who walks where trains go, especially if I'm hampering one of my senses. A small train eventually trundled past and I remember the intent stares from the conductor and whoever was next to him. At the time I thought it was a little weird but brushed it off, but in retrospect I bet they were on high alert that I didn't do something stupid like suicide on it or try and hop a ride. Fun fact: Train hopping loses it's mystique once your traveling buddy doesn't quite make the hop and gets chewed up by the wheels. Or so sayeth my grunge punk friend from college.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Man, I feel like Hillary's campaign could have remade this ad with 70% of the same dialogue. :sad:

They did, with the same guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYKFRV34kY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Terrible tragedy and all, sympathy for the family...

But that last girl is the oldest looking 13 year old. I thought it was the mom at first.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Krispy Kareem posted:

But that last girl is the oldest looking 13 year old. I thought it was the mom at first.

I didn't want to be the one to say it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pegged them as English from the picture, but nope, Utah.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Because people are stupid and think "Trains are loud, i will not get hit because i'll hear it ahead of time".

Stand near some tracks that get commuter trains like Amtrak; listen to how god drat quiet it is until it's right next to you. During the summer I witnessed more than my share of kids just standing on tracks doing that stupid pokemon game, i yelled at some to get off them but hey i'm just a dude in a construction vest and I don't know anything.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I pegged them as English from the picture, but nope, Utah.

Amazing how much a 13 year old meth head from Utah looks like an everyday 40 year old woman from the UK

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, NIMBYS have ways of designating "quiet zones" in certain areas which restrict the train horns. Engineers (or their companies) can get fined for unwarranted tooting in these areas. Since the train is only sounding its horn in an emergency it's more likely someone can get hit by not hearing the approach.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I didn't want to be the one to say it

Me neither. Hate to speak ill of the dead but that was a drat hard 13 assuming the names were in the same order as the girls.

e: Also, wow, try reading between these lines:

quote:

John raced back when the train finally stopped about a quarter mile down the track. The first girl he saw had no pulse and it was clear a second girl was no longer alive. John heard 13-year-old Savannah near the railroad crossing. She was hurt and agitated, but alive.
Yeah I bet he needed a drink after that :(

In lighter news, my local subreddit posted a video of a burglar getting arrested. The dumb bastard saw that there were security cameras around outside, still broke in, then hung around for half an hour until the cops show up and :bustem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_YUw7KxrZk

Should probably turn your volume down, there's a 'hilarious' soundtrack laid over most of it.

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Dec 9, 2016

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Takes No Damage posted:

In lighter news, my local subreddit posted a video of a burglar getting arrested. The dumb bastard saw that there were security cameras around outside, still broke in, then hung around for half an hour until the cops show up and :bustem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_YUw7KxrZk

Should probably turn your volume down, there's a 'hilarious' soundtrack laid over most of it.

No kidding, even at 50% volume the screeching of the recorder was annoying to listen to.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Not sure if this is more dangerous than Colin Furze's invention. Except the hammock was an advert so it was probably on a wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxxPyaAT1k

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Reminds me of my Grandma's favorite blonde joke.

"Two blondes were walking in the woods when the came across some tracks. One said they were deer tracks, the other replied they were obviously bear tracks. They were still arguing when the train hit them."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

Me neither. Hate to speak ill of the dead but that was a drat hard 13 assuming the names were in the same order as the girls.

e: Also, wow, try reading between these lines:

Yeah I bet he needed a drink after that :(

Reminds me of the recent accident at Dreamworld where the ambulance officers called the victims injuries "incompatible with life"; the medical term for they got hosed up.

1970's or Greece?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Slugnoid posted:

1970's or Greece?

gotta be a movie still. It's too clean to be a 70s photo, and there's too few ships in the background to be from Greece.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

by the way, this article links to one of the shittiest public safety ads imaginable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMg0bU2wPe8

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Slugnoid posted:

Reminds me of the recent accident at Dreamworld where the ambulance officers called the victims injuries "incompatible with life"; the medical term for they got hosed up.

1970's or Greece?

I remember some story about an EMT goon dealing with a dispatcher who got really anal-retentive about using that phrase until they retorted with something to the effect of "his head is in a different room than the rest of his body".

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

She was hurt and agitated

Getting killed is annoying.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Sloober posted:

Because people are stupid and think "Trains are loud, i will not get hit because i'll hear it ahead of time".

Stand near some tracks that get commuter trains like Amtrak; listen to how god drat quiet it is until it's right next to you.

I was in Germany and happened to be near a rail crossing. The only sound an approaching train made was the pinging of the track, which I figured out was an approaching train only when the crossing arms and bells went off. When the train went by it was only the rush of air and a barely audible hiss of steel wheels on the steel track. If I had been absorbed in my phone and there hadn't been a crossing, my experience would have been "nothing nothing nothing MOTHERFUCKING TRAIN nothing nothing nothing".

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Getting killed is annoying.

quote:

Doctors in a Salt Lake City-area hospital discovered Savannah had more than a dozen broken bones, internal bleeding, blood clots and a severe brain injury. The 13-year-old's injuries were too great and she died three days after the accident.

:smith: At least the others were killed instantly.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Sloober posted:

Stand near some tracks that get commuter trains like Amtrak; listen to how god drat quiet it is until it's right next to you. During the summer I witnessed more than my share of kids just standing on tracks doing that stupid pokemon game, i yelled at some to get off them but hey i'm just a dude in a construction vest and I don't know anything.

The problem wasn't that the train was quiet. The problem is they were standing next to a westbound train - on the eastbound tracks. I'm sure the noise of the westbound train drowned out anything the eastbound guys could have done.

UP said, the girls... posted:

...waved at a westbound train crew and squeezed in for a selfie as it rolled through Utah’s scenic Spanish Fork Canyon October 2011.

"Standing right by a train ahaha this is awesome!!!!" posted Savannah on Facebook as the train's steel wheels banged along the track's steel rail.

The excitement in the trio's eyes matched their big smiles as the train fanned their blonde hair in the wind while they posed for the selfie—completely unaware of the approaching train coming from the other direction.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

When a train blasts its horn, it carries.

Maybe if you're in perfect downtrack you can't hear it, but it does carry.

I grew up near a crossing & the crossing bells completely disappear from my ears, but that horn when the conductor tries to warn an idiot? its loud as gently caress.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

alucinor posted:

The problem wasn't that the train was quiet. The problem is they were standing next to a westbound train - on the eastbound tracks. I'm sure the noise of the westbound train drowned out anything the eastbound guys could have done.

Point I was making is don't stand in spots that provide a possibility of a train running you over.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sloober posted:

Point I was making is don't stand in spots that provide a possibility of a train running you over.

It's like those stories of tourists falling off cliffs trying to take selfies, only somehow stupider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It's like those stories of tourists falling off cliffs trying to take selfies, only somehow stupider

Wasn't there some place in Peru where people were essentially leaping to their death to take selfies?

EDIT: Yep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...p-machu-picchu/

quote:

He was posing for a mid-leap photo when he fell off Machu Picchu mountain, which overlooks the ancient Incan citadel of the same name.

quote:

A day earlier, a South Korean tourist fell to his death while taking a selfie in the north of Peru. The tourist plunged more than 1,600 feet off the Gocta waterfall in the Amazonas region

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Dec 10, 2016