Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"I really enjoyed the godzilla film from my childhood, and was very disappointed Matthew Broderick didn't return, additionally, this movie was very hard to understand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Phone posted:

"There weren't as many Americans in this film than what I'd like and it's kind of hard to read with all of those Japanese speaking their gobbly gook. 3/5 stars"

"He said something in Chinese like, 'Boo coo sow!', sounded like some cartoon poo poo. But I understood it to be a question that he was asking. And I don't have to know how to speak Chinese to know what that question was. 'Why, Godzilla? Why?'"

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 7, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The legs dangling from the ceiling fan in the hut is probably one of my favorite jokes in the movie plus all of the legit Vietnamese being spoken (but not translated).

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Excellent Black Dynamite references all around

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hold on, did you say Godzilla? Let's unpack this. Godzilla debuted in 1954, and what do you get when you switch 54? 45, like a smooth Colt .45. And who likes Colt .45s? That's right, Billy Dee Williams. And Billy Dee Williams played Lando Calrissian in Star Wars. Now, what's the opposite of Land-O? Oceania! The region of the Earth that contains New Zealand. Godzilla's going to attack New Zealand next!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NewZ Godzilla is an allegory for the filming of the Lord of the Rings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As much as I want to see Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, I'd be ok if we got Godzilla fighting a giant Kiwi.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Detective No. 27 posted:

As much as I want to see Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, I'd be ok if we got Godzilla fighting a giant Kiwi.

There should be more giant bird kaiju in general.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I was thinking the fruit and was imagining a really tasty version of Biollante.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman, New Zealand-style.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

how do you know biollante isn't already tasty :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I know that Gamera is really sweet, also filled with turtle meat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There should be more giant bird kaiju in general.

I'd like to see a Cassowary-inspired Kaiju. One of the things I liked about Pacific Rim was the aquatic features of the Kaiju.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tangentially related: Ninja Tune Radio had MF Doom/King Geedorah do a set. It's good.

https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/solid-steel-radio-show-9122016-hour-1-king-geedorah-snake-charmer-mix

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Geedorah just looked at Doom with contempt and barely did anything to truly capture the experience of Gigan

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gheedorah IS Doom. :3:

That is an amazing album though - gonna listen to that set tonight!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
MF Doom is King Geedorah. Gigan rapped on Krazy World and a few tracks on Monster Island Czars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Gheedorah IS Doom. :3:

That is an amazing album though - gonna listen to that set tonight!

It's so loving good

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
As far as crappy American viewers' reviews of Shin Gojira goes, nimrods saying "the suit looks HORRIBLE" when every instance of Godzilla on screen is CGI is amusing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just watched Shin on the plane. If there's a theme to it, the moral of the story is that they want to repeal article 9, not because they want to end accountability to the outside world, but because they want to take responsibility and stand as equals. It is all in the spirit of international cooperation, US drone strikes, French research labs, Chinese tankers. And they fight Godzilla with symbols of Japanese industrial might: chemical plants, trains, repurposed construction equipment. Guns and tanks and nukes were a mere distraction. If there is nationalism, it is not pernicious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the film's nicely nuanced in its handling of the political stuff. They make fun of government bureaucracy but the monster is defeated through collective action and not some bold individual heroics. They show how Japan is under the yoke of international obligations but also show them leveraging those same connections- they don't just defy the US, they get France on their side by promising them research, then buy just enough time to implement their plan. It could still all fall apart at the end, if that tail ever twitches. They're in a delicate state.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It could still all fall apart at the end, if that tail ever twitches. They're in a delicate state.

I like that. And it still works as a nuclear power metaphor. Godzilla is still there to stay, they can't get rid of him, and if it breaks down, everything will go to poo poo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently the 4k Blu Ray is going to drop in March. Is there anywhere else to watch this if you're not near any screenings?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Am guessing there's some obvious reason I'm too dim to notice, but why don't they just drop a few more bunker busters on Godzilla after they freeze him? It's not like he can fight back at that point.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I just saw this and uh

what the gently caress was that final shot of his tail supposed to be? :stare:

I also think this is the Godzilla movie with the most amount of unintentional hilarity in it. Just wow, I couldn't stop laughing through some of it.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Ramadu posted:

I also think this is the Godzilla movie with the most amount of unintentional hilarity in it. Just wow, I couldn't stop laughing through some of it.

:confused: What makes you think it was unintentional?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zartosht posted:

:confused: What makes you think it was unintentional?

I mean, were they really trying to make me laugh at his goofy rear end face as he flopped about out of the river? Were they trying to make me laugh as his back shot off poit defense lasers? If so, mission freaking accomplished because I was dying with laughter at 4 in the morning at it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ramadu posted:

I mean, were they really trying to make me laugh at his goofy rear end face as he flopped about out of the river? Were they trying to make me laugh as his back shot off poit defense lasers? If so, mission freaking accomplished because I was dying with laughter at 4 in the morning at it.

Certainly to the first, probably on the second. Godzilla has frequently been a little goofy.

I found "fresh from the river" Godzilla to be sincerely unnerving, even as goofy as he was.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 12, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bimmi posted:

Am guessing there's some obvious reason I'm too dim to notice, but why don't they just drop a few more bunker busters on Godzilla after they freeze him? It's not like he can fight back at that point.

They kinda suggest at the end that he's not fully frozen all the way through, but close enough to figure out what to do with him next. Plus, they explain from the pieces of him they collect earlier that he's more like an amoeba, where pretty much every part of him, including his goddamn face, are vestigial, which suggests to me that if they were to blast him into a million pieces, all the inner Goji-Gunk would leak out and start growing all over again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ramadu posted:

You were the annoying guy in my theater laughing at things outside the obvious things played up for comedy.

Reminds me of the time I watched the documentary on the band Anvil and how depressingly terrible their lives were -- but kept laughing out of nowhere.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Vintersorg posted:

You were the annoying guy in my theater laughing at things outside the obvious things played up for comedy.

Reminds me of the time I watched the documentary on the band Anvil and how depressingly terrible their lives were -- but kept laughing out of nowhere.

I watched it at home at like 3 in the morning so i could laugh to my hearts content at how goofy a lot of this was thankyouverymuch!

But seriously, what was up with the tip of his tail??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was Godzilla adapting. It saw how well humans were working on groups and was like "Well, that's what I gotta do then!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shin Godzilla had a lot of laughs, it's a dark comedy as much as anything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

he's such a happy boy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

he's such a happy boy

Godzilla just wants to show off to his new friends

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pizza tail.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sequel title was sent out

King of the Monsters

http://nerdist.com/godzilla-and-pacific-rim-sequels-get-new-titles/

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

That's a pretty inspired choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Actually they should have called it Godzilla Raids Again, since it will be followed by King Kong vs. Godzilla.