Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

CaptainScraps posted:

The best part is law school is easy compared to the actual practice of law.

I'm dealing with 5 different suicidal people right now between my clients, the opposing parties and the children they have together.

On top of my normal caseload.

Strangely I found that part of my summers way easier to manage than law school.Maybe it's just not getting the full crazy exposure, but I did work with one of our clients who was a drug addict horder and was sent out to assess his property. That was... Something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
There isn't a single exam where you won't realize you missed something "obvious" after you've left. I thought I completely hosed up my civ pro exam and wound up getting the only 4.3 in the class.

Even if you gently caress up, if you truly do enjoy the work, know that an average first semester is fixable. My first semester grades were .1 above the median and now I'm in the top 15% of my class. Though it should be noted I still don't have a job.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well average won't get me transferred to a school worth going to

average gets me a withdrawal and applications to masters programs in something that will actually make me happy

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

As much as I hate dignifying an exam question with a response:

Aren't you kinda making a bad assumption re: UCC? What was the underlying contract? That's the only way to know whether using the UCC is appropriate or not.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

RFX posted:

Christ, don't talk to other students about their exam responses.

This is the only advice I'd ever give someone in law school (aside from "drop out while there's still time). The second you walk out of an exam never speak of it again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phi230 posted:

I just took my last one, I have made a huge mistake

any contracts lawyers around here? Quick usage of 1-103 of the UCC question. A buddy of mine used UCC exclusively for the exam, for which I believed there to be no application of the UCC (all were formation questions, just common law jurisdiction), but he used UCC and used 1-103 to recruit the common law. I do not believe thats how this section is supposed to be interpreted. Was he actually being clever and I'm hosed or is he hosed?

The default is a contract isn't governed by the UCC. There has to be a hook to get the UCC involved. 1-103 says simply that the common law still applies unless displaced by a specific UCC section. All in all your question doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense, really, but there is zero point to discussing or even thinking about an exam once its over.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

The default is a contract isn't governed by the UCC. There has to be a hook to get the UCC involved. 1-103 says simply that the common law still applies unless displaced by a specific UCC section. All in all your question doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense, really, but there is zero point to discussing or even thinking about an exam once its over.

What evilweasel is saying Phi is that unless the question was about a contract for goods your friend hosed up very badly by nearly exclusively focusing on the UCC and is likely on the bottom of the curve, which only helps you. Welcome to your new life of hoping your good friends do poorly and ruin their futures so your GPA can go up by .2 points.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2016

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phi230 posted:

well average won't get me transferred to a school worth going to

average gets me a withdrawal and applications to masters programs in something that will actually make me happy

Do this regardless, you won't regret it. And if you do, just visit this thread until that stops.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Pretty sure the UCC only applies to criminal cases where the government tries to unlawful create joinder with you

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

What evilweasel is saying Phi is that unless the question was about a contract for goods your friend hosed up very badly by nearly exclusively focusing on the UCC and is likely on the bottom of the curve, which only helps you. Welcome to your new life of hoping your good friends do poorly and ruin their futures so your GPA can go up by .2 points.

I don't have any friends in law school and already dislike the vast majority of my classmates so checkmate I guess.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I thought so. My question was essentially a question about the application of 1-103, and I was right. There wasn't a single UCC question on the exam, all were worryingly simple formation/reliance/simple donative promise questions.

Pook Good Mook posted:

What evilweasel is saying Phi is that unless the question was about a contract for goods your friend hosed up very badly by nearly exclusively focusing on the UPC and is likely on the bottom of the curve, which only helps you. Welcome to your new life of hoping your good friends do poorly and ruin their futures so your GPA can go up by .2 points.

jesus

also another question that my friends and I got into, unrelated to a final so don't chew me out. Keep in mind I'm a stupid 1L and this wasn't serious, but lets say you promise to go on a date with someone, and they spend money in preparation of the date. Tongue in cheek obviously, but I said that it would be a contract for goods and services governed by the UCC, while my friends said that its a personal service contract. Basically I wanted to make the joke that suitor has a duty to mitigate by finding another date, while my friends seriously argued for specific performance despite

Who is more retarded? Me or them?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 9, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Yeah I thought so. My question was essentially a question about the application of 1-103, and I was right. There wasn't a single UCC question on the exam, all were worryingly simple formation/reliance/simple donative promise questions.

jesus

also another question that my friends and I got into, unrelated to a final so don't chew me out. Keep in mind I'm a stupid 1L and this wasn't serious, but lets say you promise to go on a date with someone, and they spend money in preparation of the date. Tongue in cheek obviously, but I said that it would be a contract for goods and services governed by the UCC, while my friends said that its a personal service contract. Basically I wanted to make the joke that suitor has a duty to mitigate by finding another date, while my friends argued for specific performance.

Who is more retarded? Me or them?

given that you're making terrible law jokes you're both equally retarded but you took the additional extra step of posting it here, so you

legally speaking they are more correct

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm in the top 15% of my class. Though it should be noted I still don't have a job.

I don't follow this thread much, so I don't see all the best posts, but I think if the thread title ever changes, this is the way to go.

I've been studying for a while now to finish the CPA, without having much success. I've exhausted most of the busy CPA/accounting forums out there. Figured I'd reach out to another part of the population that hates themselves and spends all their time studying. Any advice or resources other than, say, adderall, to help me make meaningful use of my study time?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

given that you're making terrible law jokes you're both equally retarded but you took the additional extra step of posting it here, so you

legally speaking they are more correct

stupid law jokes are literally the only thing keeping me interested in this poo poo so thank you for crushing my soul more than law school already has

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the actual answer is both of you are flagrantly wrong in every way you analyzed the situation and would badly fail any class on the subject, it's not a contract

you gratuitously said you'd do a thing, that's a one-sided promise not a contract, and the only theory they can potentially recover expenses on is promissory estoppel not on contract, they can be put in the same place as if they had not foolishly relied on your statement you would go on a date with them

if you had contracted to go on a date with them, besides that you are now a prostitute, that is a personal services contract because who your date is with is of considerable importance to anyone going on a date, not that there is a random warm body on the other side of the table

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

the actual answer is both of you are flagrantly wrong in every way you analyzed the situation and would badly fail any class on the subject, it's not a contract

you gratuitously said you'd do a thing, that's a one-sided promise not a contract, and the only theory they can potentially recover expenses on is promissory estoppel not on contract, they can be put in the same place as if they had not foolishly relied on your statement you would go on a date with them

if you had contracted to go on a date with them, besides that you are now a prostitute, that is a personal services contract because who your date is with is of considerable importance to anyone going on a date, not that there is a random warm body on the other side of the table

yes I know just way to kill my mood bro and the joke. its kinda obvious for the premise of the bullshitting to presume a contract was formed

now excuse me I think squirrels got in my attic and are now digging through my walls

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ahhh wtf the squirrels just chewed through my cable now I have no TV

and I see evidence that they're trying to get through the drywall

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I had this bit of local news I thought I would share here. Just because you're right out of law school and hanging your own shingle, doesn't mean you can't start living like the high-earning lawyer you deserve to be.

quote:

Started a practice known as Amin Legal Group last year and lured a college acquaintance along with a law school intern to join the firm. According to prosecutors, Amin opened several lines of credit in the victims’ names without their knowledge or consent and used them to charge expenses totaling nearly $35,000. Amin allegedly threatened one victim by text message after learning that the victim had filed a complaint against him with the Board of Bar Overseers.

Amin is charged with embezzling nearly $50,000 from a client who was in the process of launching a business. The victim wired the funds to Amin with the expectation that they would be transferred into an account Amin claimed he had created in the name of the new company. Amin instead transferred the funds into his corporate accounts and used the majority of the money to pre-pay a lease for a Mercedes S-class sedan, prosecutors said. In response to the victim’s repeated demands for the return of the money, Amin wrote a check on an account that had been closed two months earlier.

Amin is also accused of charging expenses totaling $9,000 to the credit card of another client. The charges were not related to any legal services.

Additional indictments charge Amin for securing the lease for a $10,819/month Canal Street penthouse apartment by providing false information, then failing to pay rent; fraudulently inducing a classmate to co-sign a student loan during 2011; altering a paycheck from a former employer in an attempt to steal more than $22,000 from the company; and writing bad checks to defraud two banks.

It really seems like he could have skipped going to law school and just jumped straight into theft and fraud that much earlier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
by the way, any FL attorneys or law students around here who know of any organizations I can get apart of regards to the big human trafficking problem we have

my schools ACLU organization doesn't really do much, they barely are connected with the local actual ACLU and apparently all they do is sit in on some kind of meeting with police every month and protest

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

by the way, any FL attorneys or law students around here who know of any organizations I can get apart of regards to the big human trafficking problem we have

my schools ACLU organization doesn't really do much, they barely are connected with the local actual ACLU and apparently all they do is sit in on some kind of meeting with police every month and protest

TROLL SPOTTED

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Roger_Mudd posted:

TROLL SPOTTED

im being dead serious how do I deal with the squirrels in my walls they severed my TV

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, be a bit more subtle if you want the gimmick account to have legs.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm being completely serious about the squirrels btw, no joke. I have no idea what to do since my landlord hasn't responded to my emails or calls in 2 weeks and I think they're burrowing through the drywall. They've gotten into the wires and I see paint chipping where I suspect they've made progress into burrowing through the drywall.

Its literally only a matter of time before they get through

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Today in lawyering, a codefendant who is trying to shift all the liability on me has been dragging his feet about providing dates for a corporate deposition. After wasting everyone's time in the last deposition I took by asking all the same questions I had already asked over the previous three hours.

So I sent him written discovery including 75 requests for production. Merry Christmas!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Today in lawyering, a codefendant who is trying to shift all the liability on me has been dragging his feet about providing dates for a corporate deposition. After wasting everyone's time in the last deposition I took by asking all the same questions I had already asked over the previous three hours.

So I sent him written discovery including 75 requests for production. Merry Christmas!

I'm disappointed you didn't serve those on 11/25.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 13, 2021

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Phi230 posted:

I'm being completely serious about the squirrels btw, no joke. I have no idea what to do since my landlord hasn't responded to my emails or calls in 2 weeks and I think they're burrowing through the drywall. They've gotten into the wires and I see paint chipping where I suspect they've made progress into burrowing through the drywall.

Its literally only a matter of time before they get through
They're definitely in the walls. You should smoke some more meth and break open the walls to find them and kill them. You know they're in there. Don't be a pussy. Everyone will hail you as a hero once you do it. You can do it. Get the axe. Smoke the meth. Kill the squirrels.

Phi230 posted:

The best thing you could do for your local sex trafficking victims would be to patronize them and tip well. You sound like you could use the stress relief.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ulmont posted:

Me too. The last straw came this week though...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phi230 posted:

Just use backpage like everybody else.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ulmont posted:

The next few days are great for serving motions...

I'm about to designate Australia in a WIPO TM filing - any Australian IP attorneys lurking here?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In all seriousness anybody who actually cares, the Tallahassee area has some great organizations to help victims of human trafficking, it was one of my more fulfilling experiences in undergrad to volunteer

Also call your parents, they miss you

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

In all seriousness anybody who actually cares, the Tallahassee area has some great organizations to help victims of human trafficking, it was one of my more fulfilling experiences in undergrad to volunteer

Also call your parents, they miss you

Sorry dude, I'm too busy saving children displaced by the shrinking native panda habitat.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sorry dude, I'm too busy saving children displaced by the shrinking native panda habitat.

a respectable cause

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Phi are you at famu law?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sure why not

yeah whats it to ya

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 10, 2016

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Coalition of Immokalee Workers?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phi230 posted:

sure why not

yeah whats it to ya

just curious. its a small world.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

just curious. its a small world.

Wait how small? Do I know you?

Oh if you went to FSU in 2013, from creeping on your forum posts, you probably know my girlfriend's sister. Whoa.

Also to think we were in the same town at the same time, spooky

Hopefully transferring to FSU law if I didn't gently caress my grades, their graduation was real cool, they gave free champagne and cheese afterwards

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Dagda posted:

Coalition of Immokalee Workers?

Also unironic thank you these guys seem cool at first glance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phi230 posted:

Go work for the local DA's office where you'll help those trafficked women out by throwing them in jail.