Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

On a non Dex but still Chicago related topic: the Disco Sucks! riot at Komensky the subject of a Drunken History episode: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bob-odenkirk-recalls-disco-demolition-night-on-drunk-history-231352590.html I remember being at a friends for an Atari and baseball sleepover, and getting seriously pissed when it was clear the second game would never start (although we laughed at the wanton destruction)
It was Disco Demolition Night and the stadium was named Comisky Park after the founding owner of the White Sox

/pedantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Fowler got a team to forget the first six seasons of his major league career and also his age. This is a success story.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sydin posted:

Probably because they didn't offer him 5/82 :v:

Like seriously I know I keep bringing it up but that's some mad dosh and I cannot even be remotely angry at him for taking it.

True, but I would be more than okay with it becoming SAS lore that Dexter Fowler is being blackmailed by Matheny

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

bawfuls posted:

It was Disco Demolition Night and the stadium was named Comisky Park after the founding owner of the White Sox

/pedantry

I assumed I was missing a joke from whatever "drunken history" is. Also it's Comiskey. :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

New Concept Hole posted:

Fowler got a team to forget the first six seasons of his major league career

First Six: 272/368/422
Last Two: 261/367/427

:confused:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

beejay posted:

I assumed I was missing a joke from whatever "drunken history" is. Also it's ComiskeyGuaranteed Rate Field. :v:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Padres currently have ZERO players on guaranteed contracts. Their 25-man roster is made up of 19 guys who will make the minimum, five who are entering arbitration for the first time in 2017, and one (Carter Capps) in 2nd year arb. Projected 2017 payroll (not counting money still owed to James Shields and a couple others): $25.5 million. Makes the Astros tank job look tame in comparison.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Good news: Bobby Evans got my fanmail

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/807344496526491648

:420::420::420: Trade starting to look better, too bad Bochy will never put Smith into a game.

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/806986308346322945

Don't even think about it Cubbies. Though I guess Sergio Romo's still on the market if you want to make it 4 for 5.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Uehara signing is just more proof that the Epstein/Hoyer "process" is to collect all the Red Sox/Rays aging players from the past decade.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Padres currently have ZERO players on guaranteed contracts. Their 25-man roster is made up of 19 guys who will make the minimum, five who are entering arbitration for the first time in 2017, and one (Carter Capps) in 2nd year arb. Projected 2017 payroll (not counting money still owed to James Shields and a couple others): $25.5 million. Makes the Astros tank job look tame in comparison.

that's actually quite an accomplishment

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somehow this guy just got busted for violating the league's policy on Marijuana.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

And AJ Preller still has a job despite this and intentionally hiding medical information from the rest of the league

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Does baseball have a salary floor?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

nope! Baseball lacks a floor, meaning a team can be like the Padres and not have to have an albatross on their contracts. of course, the players get screwed here

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

That's pretty amazing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bawfuls posted:

/pedantry

Apologies on the latter, I always remember it spelled with a K and that was the suggested "correct" google gave me. I am sure to misremember it again in the future.

On the former point, no way, that banner some fans hung off the second tier rails have burned into my memory. Its "Disco Sucks!" :)
e.

beejay posted:

I assumed I was missing a joke from whatever "drunken history" is. Also it's Comiskey. :v:

Er, yeah, it was intentional. That's it :v:

Also lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I had to look it up, and the 2006 Marlins had a payroll of $1100

And they won 78 games! that's value.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

This seems inaccurate.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Poque posted:

This seems inaccurate.

It's true - they actually won 78 games!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

That made me wonder what the all-league minimum team would look like.

1B Carlos Correa
2B Corey Seager
SS Francisco Lindor
3B Kris Bryant
LF Trea Turner
CF Mookie Betts
RF Odubel Herrera
C Gary Sanchez

UT Addison Russell
UT Dansby Swanson
OF Joc Pederson
OF Randal Grichuk
C JT Realmuto

SP Kyle Hendricks
SP Noah Syndergaard
SP Aaron Sanchez
SP Michael Fulmer
SP Jameson Taillon

RP Seung-hwan Oh
RP Ken Giles
RP Roberto Osuna
RP Edwin Diaz
RP Hunter Strickland
RP Kyle Barraclough

Total payroll of $13.375M. Check out the 3-shortstop infield.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

meh

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I somehow only noticed Correa as a 1B on like the, 3rd viewing. I would watch that team, although the bullpen is ehhhhhhhhh...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I somehow only noticed Correa as a 1B on like the, 3rd viewing. I would watch that team, although the bullpen is ehhhhhhhhh...

With the bullpen I mainly went on name value cause there's a lot of relievers on league minimum who I've never heard of, and it's hard to tell based on stats when they've only thrown <50 major league innings.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Carlosologist posted:

nope! Baseball lacks a floor, meaning a team can be like the Padres and not have to have an albatross on their contracts. of course, the players get screwed here

MLB will still be grumpy if you spend nothing. I remember several years ago they sent a nasty gram to the Marlins (surprise!) to spend more. I think they gave Josh Johnson a nice contract as a response. Then like a year later they made that insane Johnson / Buerhle/ Reyes trade as a salary dump.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

On a non Dex but still Chicago related topic: the Disco Sucks! riot at Komensky the subject of a Drunken History episode: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bob-odenkirk-recalls-disco-demolition-night-on-drunk-history-231352590.html I remember being at a friends for an Atari and baseball sleepover, and getting seriously pissed when it was clear the second game would never start (although we laughed at the wanton destruction)

I looked that up a few weeks ago. It's interesting how much the incident is looked back on as "LOL DISCO," and not at all as a gang consisting overwhelmingly of straight white people rioting in response to a style of music that mainly appealed to gay, black, and Latin-American people getting popular.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tom Gorman posted:

Poque posted:

This seems inaccurate.

It is. It was like 15mil or something, and Dontrelle was almost a third of it.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

I looked that up a few weeks ago. It's interesting how much the incident is looked back on as "LOL DISCO," and not at all as a gang consisting overwhelmingly of straight white people rioting in response to a style of music that mainly appealed to gay, black, and Latin-American people getting popular.

I don't know what's real anymore

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

St. Dogbert posted:

Tell us your thoughts on 10 cent beer night

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Tell us your thoughts on 10 cent beer night

I loving love that Cleveland is still doing cheap beer night promos.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

I loving love that Cleveland is still doing cheap beer night promos.

Cheap beer night could mean $6 for a longneck at this point though

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Went to a Cleveland game this season, and they had $1 hot dogs.

No riots were caused tho

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Went to a Cleveland game this season, and they had $1 hot dogs.

No riots were caused tho

I'd riot over the Royals $1 hot dogs, honestly

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

seiferguy posted:

I think they gave Josh Johnson a nice contract as a response. Then like a year later they made that insane Johnson / Buerhle/ Reyes trade as a salary dump.

Raise your hand if you thought Mark Buerhle would end up being the most valuable piece going to the Jays in that deal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Cheap beer night could mean $6 for a longneck at this point though

They do buck Miller Lites or something equally cheap.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Tom Gorman posted:

I'd riot over the Royals $1 hot dogs, honestly

I would eat ten of those with no regrets.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

That made me wonder what the all-league minimum team would look like.

1B Carlos Correa
2B Corey Seager
SS Francisco Lindor
3B Kris Bryant
LF Trea Turner
CF Mookie Betts
RF Odubel Herrera
C Gary Sanchez

UT Addison Russell
UT Dansby Swanson
OF Joc Pederson
OF Randal Grichuk
C JT Realmuto

SP Kyle Hendricks
SP Noah Syndergaard
SP Aaron Sanchez
SP Michael Fulmer
SP Jameson Taillon

RP Seung-hwan Oh
RP Ken Giles
RP Roberto Osuna
RP Edwin Diaz
RP Hunter Strickland
RP Kyle Barraclough

Total payroll of $13.375M. Check out the 3-shortstop infield.

Schwarber at first, Correa to third, Bryant to right, Herrera to the bench, dump Grichuk and I'm in.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

St. Dogbert posted:

This is certainly some words strung together

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Dollop podcast did an extensive episode on Disco Demolition Night that's worth listening to.

If you've never heard of the player Rube Waddell, you absolutely need to listen to The Dollop's episode about him.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I guess I'm kinda young compared to most people on these forums but I was always under the impression that white people loved disco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I guess I'm kinda young compared to most people on these forums but I was always under the impression that white people loved disco

Yes, of course they did

• Locked thread