Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Captain Rufus posted:

Jupiter is the best Sailor Scout. Them Mercury fans can't be trusted.

You filthy sonovabitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Aww snap, did I start a Sailor Scout war? I actually like Moon and Mars best, but really I love them all.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

accuracy issues/lag

Input lag destroys the fun out of any action game. With emulation you can turn Vsync off for optimal performance but then you have to suffer screen-tearing, unless you have a Gsync setup (still not sure as to how this works). If I had money for real hardware, this would be my number 1 reason to do so. But always with a flash cart/CDR mod, collecting was a poor life decision and I no longer engage in such behavior. I do get the appeal of having a nice library of things to look at/show off, see below.

You are very lucky to have cats that don't knock all this over every chance they get. Give them pets and treats, good kitties.

Also get more PCE games, a rainbow of jewel case spines would go well with your GBs.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

beergod posted:

This hobby piques my curiosity. With emulators, what draws you to it? Is it kind of like vinyl records?

For me it's nostalgia and aesthetics. Some dickhead stole my childhood NES some years ago and it's been annoying me a little bit ever since, so I finally bought another one recently, and now I'm trying to buy all the good games I never had as a kid. But they have to be in box because NES-boxes look loving cool even though they are fragile and bad. And I guess there's also the thrill of the hunt trying to find good deals (there are none).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ofecks posted:

You are very lucky to have cats that don't knock all this over every chance they get. Give them pets and treats, good kitties.

Also get more PCE games, a rainbow of jewel case spines would go well with your GBs.

My cats are very good boys and really they never bother my games at all. Knock over my empty salt and pepper shakers, sure, but not the games. Additionally, I would love to have more PCE games (actually one of the black binders on the toy shelf has a lot of loose HuCards stored in card sleeves), people are just ruining the hell out of that market for me by pricing me out of it. :sigh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kid Fenris posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Sailor Jupiter was my sister's favorite Sailor Moon character

Same.

edit: That is, Jupiter is my favorite. I don't know which one my sister likes the most.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Caitlin posted:

actually one of the black binders on the toy shelf has a lot of loose HuCards stored in card sleeves

When I had a PCE I kept my HuCards in a stack next to the console (in those little transparent sleeves they came in). I didn't have many (maybe a dozen?) so this was feasible. It was fun flipping through them like baseball cards deciding on what to play. Best retro system.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Jupiter is the best Sailor Scout.

You misspelled Mars.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The weirdest thing about Sailor Moon and video games is that Bandai Namco's European branch made a DS game apparently just for Italy.

http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Sailor_Moon:_La_Luna_Splende

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ofecks posted:

When I had a PCE I kept my HuCards in a stack next to the console (in those little transparent sleeves they came in). I didn't have many (maybe a dozen?) so this was feasible. It was fun flipping through them like baseball cards deciding on what to play. Best retro system.

I didn't have so many until a old friend of mine had bought several lots in bulk and resold me the duplicates at a discount rate, so I got a few stacks because it was cheap enough for me to go "gently caress it" and I didn't have to deal with international shipping. That's when I opted for the card page storage solution~ Nice to be able to look at them easily, anyway.

Kid Fenris posted:

The weirdest thing about Sailor Moon and video games is that Bandai Namco's European branch made a DS game apparently just for Italy.

http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Sailor_Moon:_La_Luna_Splende

This is one of the only Sailor Moon games I don't have because it's a pain in the rear end to try to import La Luna Splende and it goes for way too much for a relatively crappy game.

vv might as well enjoy the two Super Famicom brawlers and the Mega Drive brawler then :shrug:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 10, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this is the only sailor moon game i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizPltEFypw

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Regarding the discussion about why some go for the "real deal" instead of emulation, I'll say that I'm definitely a convert from emulation. There's a charm to playing on the original equipment, and in some cases, you can really only get the true experience from the original equipment.

Example: the original Star Wars vector game. I'm sure some of you have played through this on MAME with a mouse, or played through Rebel Strike's demo. But have you tried comparing that to the original machine!? The original CHUGS when there's a shitload of action on the screen, and it's to your benefit that it does. Also, that flight yoke is the true way to play, accept no substitutes.

I wrote this after having gone to Arcade 2084 this past weekend for a friend's birthday party and playing both Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on legit cabs, and then trying to play through the version on the Rebel Strike demo for the GameCube.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

2. nostalgics - they just want to play the games they did as a kid, the same way they did as a kid, usually on a CRT TV with the real console. they may "collect" games but usually only games they like or have good memories of and usually don't really care about the condition as much, they just like having the real thing and the ritual of playing old games the way they did back then.

3. hardware freaks - they like tinkering, they care about things like RGB modding, mod chips, etc. they may be into arcade hardware, old computers, other things that you have to be a little more technical to get running. they're like the modern equivalent of that dad you know who messes with old radios or whatever. they like expensive displays or scalers because old games look rad on them. a lot of them like the "piracy" angle and use flash carts or other ways to get the games running on their hardware

This is me :shepface: although I fall more on 3 than 2 because I don't have space for CRT so I use scalers. Emulation is "OK" but I really like using the original consoles and there are really cool variants and I can't not own a pretty looking special console :kiddo:

Ask me about blowing a grand on Taobao for arcade io pcbs so I can recreate a $3000+ cabinet without having the cabinet :homebrew:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Example: the original Star Wars vector game. I'm sure some of you have played through this on MAME with a mouse, or played through Rebel Strike's demo. But have you tried comparing that to the original machine!? The original CHUGS when there's a shitload of action on the screen, and it's to your benefit that it does. Also, that flight yoke is the true way to play, accept no substitutes.

I think you'll also find that the only acceptable version of the Star Wars vector game is the sit down cabinet. Stand up cabinets aren't good enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jupiter is factually the best and Mercury is a bastard who won't stop hardcore zoning me in the SFC fighting game.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I think that a good reason to still keep original hardware is because if you grew up on it, and you have people come over that are roughly the same age, you may get the reaction like "Cool! A Nintendo! Got Mario? Can we play?" People won't come over and see a computer desk and go "Oh sweet, a computer! Got more that one USB pad so we can emulate some games?"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

this is the only sailor moon game i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EizPltEFypw

This game is practically a Streets of Rage clone, down to details like the delayed punch stunlock trick working exactly the same. If not for the generally dull level design, it could've been one of my favorite arcade beat-'em-ups.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I've been assembling the Castlevania board game for my brother and I noticed this card that proves their dedication to the theme.

(For some weird reason I can't seem to reach any image host at the moment so I used the attach file option and I think we all know how well that works. It might be ten minutes before the picture shows up...)

Edit: imgur was reachable again for me so I uploaded the picture there. Now watch the attachment show up so I have double images.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jupiter is factually the best and Mercury is a bastard who won't stop hardcore zoning me in the SFC fighting game.

There's two SFC fighting games. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Caitlin posted:

There's two SFC fighting games. :colbert:

Yeah but only one of them is worth playing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Caitlin posted:

Aww snap, did I start a Sailor Scout war? I actually like Moon and Mars best, but really I love them all.
Burn her.

Jupiter/Mercury/Pluto

That's the list

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah but only one of them is worth playing.

Honestly the 3DO one is pretty good.

e : lotta dudes got STRONG OPINIONS on sailor senshi, all senshi are love u kno

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Uh, Mercury and Jupiter, bros. Venus is weaksauce.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Caitlin posted:

Honestly the 3DO one is pretty good.

It does have an incredibly good intro, but I've yet to actually play the game proper.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I think you'll also find that the only acceptable version of the Star Wars vector game is the sit down cabinet. Stand up cabinets aren't good enough.

This is true but beggars cannot be choosers. There are a handful of games that basically require original hardware to be right. Star Wars is in that group. Some vector stuff is fine emulated or ported. Star Wars again, not in that group.

poo poo, there are some arcade collection titles I end up playing era home ports because at least the control takes things into account! Midway and Atari collections are big on really not realizing this obvious fact which is why stuff like Super Off Road, Road Blasters, Super Sprint, and Rampart play like rear end in the collections. They just shat em on a disk and didn't really know or care that the 00 class home gaming machines generally didn't have trackballs (gaming ones!) or steering wheels of a usually free spinning type.

In some cases MAME and your home controllers of choice will do a decent job but.. yeah. It shouldn't have to! Hell, even the Atgames Atari gives end users the option for paddles.

Luckily some of the above are cheap on the SNES and Genny for when you want to scratch an itch easily. Not everyone has room or money or the lack of good sense to have like a 4 player Daytona setup. Or the 2p sit down Virtual On. Or Top Skater. Are they kickass experiences? Fuckin A they are! But.. Reality is real sadly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Smartest Scout knows how to wreck her allies in a pinch, news at 11.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Bought one of those iBuffalo SNES clone controllers, and it's got the "phantom input" problem [every 2-3 minutes, it triggers a left/right input without me touching it]

Looks like a few of the amazon reviews had this too, I'll be exchanging it. It's a nice controller, I hope my next one works. :arghfist:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Bought one of those iBuffalo SNES clone controllers, and it's got the "phantom input" problem [every 2-3 minutes, it triggers a left/right input without me touching it]

Looks like a few of the amazon reviews had this too, I'll be exchanging it. It's a nice controller, I hope my next one works. :arghfist:

that's really bizarre, I have never had that problem with mine but I hear it keep popping up, are you using it on windows? also I wonder if they may be bootlegs or something floating around, are you getting em from japanese sellers or chinese/something else?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Captain Rufus posted:

poo poo, there are some arcade collection titles I end up playing era home ports because at least the control takes things into account! Midway and Atari collections are big on really not realizing this obvious fact which is why stuff like Super Off Road, Road Blasters, Super Sprint, and Rampart play like rear end in the collections. They just shat em on a disk and didn't really know or care that the 00 class home gaming machines generally didn't have trackballs (gaming ones!) or steering wheels of a usually free spinning type.

I think I heard that the new Atari collection on the PS4 is actually good about this and uses the touch pad for trackball/wheel emulation if you want, instead of the stick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My Buffalo does the phantom input thing occasionally but only when it's left idle on the Retropie menu, I've never had any issues with it during actual gameplay.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

So I've got a really weird problem with my NESRGB-modded toploader NES, and I'd like to know if anyone else here has run into this:

When I first start the machine up, I get a screen full of garbled graphics. This happens whether the cart is licensed, a flashcart or one of my bootlegs.
The curious part is, if I wait about 5 minutes, with the machine on, I can slap the reset button and it works fine - no more graphics glitches, no crashes, nothing.
If I power it off and back up within ~2 minutes, the graphics don't glitch back up. If I wait ~5 minutes, it happens again, and I need to do the whole 'warming up' thing.
The modder who did the work mentioned that pretty much every chip on the board is socketed now due to some repairs I had to have done.

Anyone else ever see something like this happen to an NES? Any advice on what to check from here?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PsyClops posted:

So I've got a really weird problem with my NESRGB-modded toploader NES, and I'd like to know if anyone else here has run into this:

When I first start the machine up, I get a screen full of garbled graphics. This happens whether the cart is licensed, a flashcart or one of my bootlegs.
The curious part is, if I wait about 5 minutes, with the machine on, I can slap the reset button and it works fine - no more graphics glitches, no crashes, nothing.
If I power it off and back up within ~2 minutes, the graphics don't glitch back up. If I wait ~5 minutes, it happens again, and I need to do the whole 'warming up' thing.
The modder who did the work mentioned that pretty much every chip on the board is socketed now due to some repairs I had to have done.

Anyone else ever see something like this happen to an NES? Any advice on what to check from here?

Rough guess: a solder joint is bad. When it's turned on the system heats up and the connection expands just enough to make a good connection. Now which one it would be I don't know...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Apropos of this, I finally got my Rolls-Royce going! Had a hard time tracking an electronics store around here, which are apparently such a dying breed that I only got wind of one last week, but I finally bought a proper step down converter with up to 45 Watts support (the AES using 8 Watts according to the sticker at the bottom).

Thankfully, the AES purchase also came with a SCART cable with a separated audio cable to fit on the headphone jack similarly to a MD1, so that's another worry out of my head. Had some fun playing World Heroes 2.

This whole affair was :retrogames: as gently caress, but I'm loving this little guy and I'll be buying one of those AES flashcarts when there's one available.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Mercury a lot in my youth but as I've grown older I've become more of a Jupiter / Venus man.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

that's really bizarre, I have never had that problem with mine but I hear it keep popping up, are you using it on windows? also I wonder if they may be bootlegs or something floating around, are you getting em from japanese sellers or chinese/something else?

Using it on my Retropie [on a rpi3]. Bought it from "UJC Mart Japan", which seems highly rated...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PsyClops posted:

So I've got a really weird problem

Like Random Stranger said, solder joints, or those sockets you mentioned could have a marginal contact somewhere.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That new Gameboy video put out by "My Life in Gaming" was really well done.

Here's a picture I just took of all the handhelds I have, excluding ones for parts or that need repairing. The plastic bag contains a white GBA I took apart to clean years ago. I think I'll reconstitute it today.

Edit: done!

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 10, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Do you have a Neo Geo Pocket Color? They're not that expensive and most of the good games are affordable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Do you have a Neo Geo Pocket Color? They're not that expensive and most of the good games are affordable.

No, I don't. They definitely catch my interest when people post about them, and I really wish I could have gotten one of those $20 packs with the system and games. I'm sure I'll get one eventually. It'll be a lot of fun exploring games I've never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PsyClops posted:

Maybe something with the voltage? Did the modder install the second optional voltage regulator? A lot of people don't bother installing it but I've heard some people say only using the stock one produced problems for them.

Also I would try opening it up if I were you and trying to move things a bit. The board that goes into the old PPU has these long pins that I would bet come a bit loose during shipping. You can simply try pulling it up and then pushing it back in.

Also try using an OEM power supply if you are using a generic one.

• Locked thread