Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quest For Glory II posted:

Zeltroid is the muscle you use when you wall jump in super metroid

e:

they keep thinking bigger = better

What is this like Farcry or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shantae being linear instead of metroidvania is actually the first thing I've heard that sounds really exciting about it. I found the Metroidvania aspects of the previous games kinda lacking.

Chomp8645 posted:

What is this like Farcry or something?

Ghost Recon I think?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Since Bloodstained has been delayed until 2018 Shantae is going to have to fulfill my mermaid giantess bondage quota for the next year, I guess.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
More games should be linear.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Shantae being linear instead of metroidvania is actually the first thing I've heard that sounds really exciting about it. I found the Metroidvania aspects of the previous games kinda lacking.

Ghost Recon I think?

Definitely, the most fun I had in Pirates a Curse was the NG+ mode with no backtracking and just flying trough all the levels with the speed booster and triple jump

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there are a lot of people that really believe that though

That's pretty much what we were conditioned to want in the latter half of the 90's and the first half of the 00's. It was a selling point for a game to have copious amounts of padding and a positive for games media/reviewers to talk about how long a game would take for you to finish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have a friend who still gives Portal 2 a terrible review because it was too short compared to other games, and that is literally the only reason he has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's really easy to get in the mindset of "longer = better" because it's very close to an 'objective' measure of quality. This game is 9000 hours long, and this game is 10 hours long, but they both cost $60, so it's easy to see which is better! Especially when you're a kid and have enough free time that 9000 hours vs 10 hours is actually a relevant decision then it's easy to understand why people get into that place and kind of stick there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To me hearing a game world is 90000000 acres just means they wasted money making more boring roads between the places with fun in them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dude come on...couldn't even say 9001

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I'm excited by the prospect of 100 hours of Wicher 3 or 10 hours of Portal and there are games like Pokemon or Final Fantasy where there's like 40 good hours of gameplay and then 60 that I know I would put in because I'm a completist, and then games like To the Moon that are like 10 hours, and, I'll admit, probably should not cost more than $5, and finally games that have 1 billion trillion hours of gameplay, but it's all grind.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I have a friend who still gives Portal 2 a terrible review because it was too short compared to other games, and that is literally the only reason he has.

The funniest part of that is the fact that Portal 3, while great, could have probably benefitted from being slightly shorter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess there's 4X games too, which are kind of in their own category, because however long an individual playthrough is, it's definitely meant to be replayed ad infinitum.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm fine with Zeltroid. Then Igavania can also join the common parlance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

Like I'm excited by the prospect of 100 hours of Wicher 3 or 10 hours of Portal and there are games like Pokemon or Final Fantasy where there's like 40 good hours of gameplay and then 60 that I know I would put in because I'm a completist, and then games like To the Moon that are like 10 hours, and, I'll admit, probably should not cost more than $5, and finally games that have 1 billion trillion hours of gameplay, but it's all grind.

I enjoyed playing thru the main story of Disgaea well enough but then when I saw what the side content expected of me I laughed really hard and never played Disgaea again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I enjoyed playing thru the main story of Disgaea well enough but then when I saw what the side content expected of me I laughed really hard and never played Disgaea again.

I'm incapable of doing that so when games include entirely optional things that take hours but aren't fun, it often just ruins the whole thing for me, I'm the reason we can't have nice things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disgaea has gotten better about basically having a billion pieces of content with different things and then letting you break off once you're bored. If you're an insane person you'll spend fifteen years grinding out every item to max stats and if you're not there are like 10 different 'end-game' goals that are reasonably achieveable through different methods.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm incapable of doing that so when games include entirely optional things that take hours but aren't fun, it often just ruins the whole thing for me, I'm the reason we can't have nice things.

You need to put in approximately 10x the hours you need to clear the main story to clear the extra stuff, it is literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of grinding with very little reward, it's crazy town.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I told Prompto I wanted him to take more pictures of Ignis.

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted. This game, it's like it knows me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I am literally an insane person, with literal OCD, so I just don't play any of those games or watch videos of people sequence breaking Zelda, and I can live in relative peace, having the time both to play video games and to wash my hands for 20 minutes after taking out the trash.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqskaJ9Ek4

"You seemed a lot stronger in Blood Money!" :hehe:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Well, don't get too excited because the game still stops you after every level to do some mandatory backtracking for quest items to progress. It's just structured like levels instead of a metroidvania map instead, and it's a lot more streamlined so if you know where to go you can get there pretty fast using the Warp. Wouldn't be surprised if those things were changed for the other characters though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at my Shantae PS4 code and apparently I have an early access code I completely did not remember having paid for. I think that will give anyone that uses it the full thing on PC, and I'm not gonna use it because I'd prefer to play it on PS4 so anyone got anything they wanna trade for it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was looking at my Shantae PS4 code and apparently I have an early access code I completely did not remember having paid for. I think that will give anyone that uses it the full thing on PC, and I'm not gonna use it because I'd prefer to play it on PS4 so anyone got anything they wanna trade for it?

I'll empty quote you a bunch for the code

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

glam rock hamhock posted:

Give it to me, the time I spend playing it is time I won't spend making terrible posts.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The amount of dialogue they recorded and how loving goofy most of it is is just wonderful. There's a guard in Morocco that has a like three or four minute conversation with his wife on the phone where he is desperately trying to diffuse an argument and failing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Red Bones posted:

Mark of the Ninja is a super fun game to play but imo they should have done something different with the artstyle because all of the characters have a really saturday morning kids cartoon vibe to them (I'm pretty sure its because the art director also did the designs for that Star Wars: Clone Wars tv show years and years ago) which doesn't really mesh well with the level of violence in the game. Like you're killing these soldiers and dropping their corpses in front of other soldiers and they all look like they could be Kim Possible's dad, and likewise the guy you're playing is very kinda clean-cut kids show hero for a fella that's killing people and not "defeating" them or sending them to the "dark zone".

I had no idea before I started reading it how Usagi Yojimbo was going to reconcile the funny animals with all the violence but it works surprisingly well, in my opinion.

Haven't played MotN, but such a thing is possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What game is this?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

What game is this?
This game, its sweet

http://store.steampowered.com/app/491040/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was just about to ask you if that was any good, since this popped up on my Steam queue a few weeks ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That does look pretty fun, thank you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

I was just about to ask you if that was any good, since this popped up on my Steam queue a few weeks ago.
I needed to replace a game in the top 50 2016 indie list (I forgot Monsters & Monocles was an early access game) so I bought Bot Vice tonight and played it and really liked it, i'm ranking it #15

it's balls to the wall Wild Guns style gameplay, and very twitch skill demanding, lots of dodge rolling, using cover sparingly, and using your weapon pickups at just the right time to clear out the board

it's 25 stages and each stage ends with a boss. having beaten it (took just under 2 hours on I'm assuming Normal difficulty?), it unlocks 25 extra levels that remix everything

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Ghost Recon I think?

I am on the same page and found the new Shantae to be fine and prefer it as a more regular platformer. I didn't go in expecting it to be amazing or life changing, but it executes pretty well on what it intends to do. Only real complaints I'd lodge are the same as for every Shantae game: the actual fighting is pretty lame and there are some kinda useless powers. Also grabbing onto ropes or rings continues to be my bane.

I look forward to how the alternate costumes and characters change things up.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 10, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like playing a platformer of some description

Shall I try to play Risky's Revenge again, skip straight to Pirate's Curse or wait for this new one to come out for general use

or is there some other better game i missed

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm not really a streaming kind of guy but the guy who runs Legends of Localization and did the Mother 3 fan translation is playing through a machine translated FF4 and it's cool:

The Kins posted:

Here's a ROM hack of Final Fantasy 4 that provides a complete machine translation of the Japanese version, for reasons other than "it's just funny".

Although that was probably also a major motivation.

Tomato posted:

A common question I get is “Why even do this?” The quick summary is that this is just one small, experimental piece of a larger concept I’ve had for years. It also serves as the basis for a lot of things I’ve been wanting to try out for years. Here are some of those things:

I’ve spent the last few years analyzing Final Fantasy IV’s many different official localizations, and even the fan-translated version. While doing this, there’s always a question in the back of my mind: “What if a machine translated the game? How would that compare to each of these versions too?” I’m particularly interested in this question because machine translation has supposedly improved a lot since the last time I played around with it over a decade ago – people even have fancy machine translation apps on their phones these days for translating signs and trying to hold basic conversations!

I’ve spent years researching and writing about how games have been translated, but one thing I’ve never taken a look at is machine translation. It’s something I’d like to learn more about, and this is an interesting way to examine it. I’m already learning a lot of new things, and some of my expectations going in have been shattered! This is also an opportunity for me to see how far off people in my field are from getting replaced by computers 😛

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Ciaphas posted:

Shall I try to play Risky's Revenge again, skip straight to Pirate's Curse or wait for this new one to come out for general use

well speaking of zeltroids have you played Rabi-Ribi cause it's an awesome platformer slash zeltroid. is very plot heavy though.

I'm not a big shantae fan though . Like I can't point to anything and be like 'this is what I don't like" and I can point to a bit and be like 'I like this' but the games just won't click for me.

I just want a new klonoa.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Have you played Ori Definitive Edition yet? If you haven't then go play that instead. Like, I enjoy the Shantae games but they're aggressively mediocre, as far as the gameplay goes.

So yeah, Backtracking Intensifies and all that. It's like, did you enjoy playing that platformer stage once? Well here play it 2-3 more times now. They try to keep it a little fresh by adding new enemies, changing enemy patterns, and you explore some new areas but ... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mouse transformation is not quite a new low for the series but drat if it isn't close.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Played Ori and loved it! Wanted to play Rabi Ribi but the drat thing crashed horribly so I refunded it, tried it again a month later and still crashed horribly so I refunded it again.

Wonder if it works now and if VALVe would look askance at a third refund if it doesn't :v:

(e) welp guess I didn't refund it last time like I thought I did, I swear my memory's getting spottier. But it doesn't crash, so I can try that instead! Yay!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I needed to replace a game in the top 50 2016 indie list (I forgot Monsters & Monocles was an early access game) so I bought Bot Vice tonight and played it and really liked it, i'm ranking it #15

it's balls to the wall Wild Guns style gameplay, and very twitch skill demanding, lots of dodge rolling, using cover sparingly, and using your weapon pickups at just the right time to clear out the board

it's 25 stages and each stage ends with a boss. having beaten it (took just under 2 hours on I'm assuming Normal difficulty?), it unlocks 25 extra levels that remix everything

This sounds extremely my jam! Thank you :)

• Locked thread