Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Thundercakes posted:

I've noticed in some of Flamu's videos it sounds like he clicks individually for each gun instead of holding down to fire all of them. Is there any benefit to doing this?

If you hold down click, your ship performs ripple fire. Flamu may be individually clicking each shot, but its likely ripple fire that you're seeing. Some people prefer ripple fire against evasive targets, so you can artificially disperse your rounds for a better chance to get one or two shells to hit, especially important when fighting DDs (especially RUS) that are trying to dodge your shells on reaction, or CAs who are fond of the sudden stop manuever, fire off one set ahead and pull it down where he'd stop. You'll get a hit... probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
On the whole idea that DD's are hard to play and have the highest impact on the games discussion that happened a page or two ago, I do think DD's are one of the most important elements of your team, but they maybe bat it out with Cruisers a bit for that role.

The sad reality of it all is, at least in tiers 4 - 7'ish from what I observe, is that if a team loses all of its DD's first in the five minutes of the match or so and the other team still has its DD's intact, then that team is doomed to fail no matter how poorly the enemy team is doing. Between alpha damage from torps, burn damage from HE shells, spotting and capping potential that their speed and maneuverability brings, and generally just being little annoying buggers, DD's bring a lot and are too important to squander in your team. If you're a destroyer captain and you're not running the clock every time or at least trying to stay alive for the first few minutes of the game, you are severely hampering your team's ability to win matches. When I'm playing BB's, get into a match with five DD's on each side, and most of my DD's are dead before any other ship types have been killed, my head just sinks to my hands because I know our team just lost most of its versatility.

Cruisers are a similar situation in that they're also really fast, most of them have torpedoes, high tier ones can heal themselves, but they also have that anti-air capability. To balance that out, I guess they still have to have citadels. I still think Cruisers are a bit stronger than Destroyers in the hands of a competent player since a Cruiser usually has the guns and the DPM to burn anything it doesn't like to the ground from a very safe distance, while also being able to do most things a DD can do as well.

It's actually a bit strange to think that Cruisers are like, the third most played class in the game (or at least, that's what it feels like) behind Battleships and Destroyers when you can have games you could only dream of in a Cruiser instead of a Battleship. But I guess that would come down to Cruisers being quite challenging to play due to the lack of armor.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 10, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except the Missouri will fund the purchase of all of those singlehandedly.

Except you've now used up all that theoretical free exp up to purchase Missouri and have to grind to the rest normally at that point. And you can generally make enough silver even with normal premium to have about as much as you need to purchase them at the end of said grind - especially if you don't feel like keeping the previous ship and simply sell it.

So yes, I'm part of the group that really doesn't see the point of all that mad silver the Missouri brings in. I don't need hundreds of millions of silver or whatever in my harbor - enough to buy the ships I want and fund my operations is perfectly fine. Especially not if it's costing me over $100 real life money to get it in the first place.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Cruisers are in a bad spot where you're relying on the other team being bad players in order for you to affect the game. Sure, you can rack up mad damage from setting fires if you get ignored, you can wreck enemy cruisers who expose their broadside, you can torpedo idiots who forget that a Myoko carries them, you can catch out DDs in smoke who forget that you have hydro/radar. But there's nothing a cruiser can do that a battleship can't, especially from T7+ where all the battleships are just as fast as the cruisers. We have BBs with all the same utilities that cruisers carry now, with the sole exception of DF (but most BBs have the DPS of an equivalent tier cruiser with DF active anyway so that's not worth much), while being far, far tankier.

e: And I say this a cruiser/DD player. I don't like battleships that much but I feel far more useful in them than cruisers. In CAs I'm just going through the motions whereas DDs are actually enjoyable.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Scikar posted:

Cruisers are in a bad spot where you're relying on the other team being bad players in order for you to affect the game.

This. Pretty much everything I do in cruisers I can do either in a destroyer or battleship better. Destroyers can ninja into great spots and set fires well enough that it'll ruin a battleship as much as a cruiser and because of being tiny/invisible it's easier to do. Plus you get torps that are an extra tool. On the flipside with a BB you can tank damage like crazy and are spotted basically the same amount as a cruiser. DDs within 8k are probably already torping so lol course and speed change. If you're ignored and know what you're doing you can do some crazy things. But, honestly, the accuracy of BBs with their shell flight time in the 5 to 7 ship tiers ruin a cruiser that's not British. And Brits only don't get ruined quite as fast is because smoke.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

I help when I can but 1 volley every 25 sec is tough. I use AP on DDs as well and it all over pen damage. Should I switch to HE to start the match?

Just to add on to what everyone else said, you use AP on DDs most of the time because you'll be putting volleys into battleships and cruisers when suddenly a Minekaze gets spotted 10km away. You already have AP loaded or in the process of loading and it's not worth the time it would take to switch to HE. Even if those AP shells overpenetrate, that's 800-1000 damage per hit (depending on your guns). On a ship that might have around 10,000 health at tier V that's 10% gone from one shell. You can do even more damage if your shell hits at just the right spot and nets a ~3000 damage penetrating hit. It's a huge help to your friendly DDs and they'll have a much easier time killing that DD and getting caps.

Now if you know for sure that the only ship near you is a DD, like in the middle or end of a match, then by all means go ahead and load HE. But stick to AP if you're shooting at other ships (including carriers, you can score some easy citadels on them and potentially delete them if RNJeezus favors your volley), or if you're not sure.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've just started really playing dds, up to almost the Shiryetsu or whatever. Everyone says the Hatsuharu is terrible but even with a "bad" dd you can typically either gun down an enemy dd that forgets guns exist or delete a battleship since you can pick when you're going to engage so efficiently. If nothing else it's forcing me to be tactical in a good way, and my wtr has steadily spiked since trying them to the exclusion of my usual cruiser standbyes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Velius posted:

I've just started really playing dds, up to almost the Shiryetsu or whatever. Everyone says the Hatsuharu is terrible but even with a "bad" dd you can typically either gun down an enemy dd that forgets guns exist or delete a battleship since you can pick when you're going to engage so efficiently. If nothing else it's forcing me to be tactical in a good way, and my wtr has steadily spiked since trying them to the exclusion of my usual cruiser standbyes.

The amount of DDs that forget the whole "I should be shooting" thing is amazing and hilarious.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The amount of DDs that forget the whole "I should be shooting" thing is amazing and hilarious.

:ohdear: "But if I shoot my guns I'll get spotted!" *hangs out 5km from enemy battleship doing nothing while torps reload*

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Destroyer players really should average at least 100 MBH hits in a non-IJN DD in any given game above tier 5.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Sweet got a super container. Sweet more det flags. 500+ det flags bitches :getin:

Edit: The Derzki is the greatest suicide boat ever.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 10, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sweet got a super container. Sweet more det flags. 500+ det flags bitches :getin:

Edit: The Derzki is the greatest suicide boat ever.

I know, right? My first game I did 80k damage before being teamkilled just before making an attack run to get a Kraken....

...god damned pubbies.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Blindeye posted:

I know, right? My first game I did 80k damage before being teamkilled just before making an attack run to get a Kraken....

...god damned pubbies.

I was just about to get my 4th kill and another 30k ontop of the 13 torps and 65k I already had, but apparently I capped and killed poo poo too fast :( I think it's going to replace my Wickes as the tier 3 seal clubber.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Shiratsuyu is the best and I hope that its torp reload doesn't get nerfed. Even if the guns are pretty weak, they have a nice stealth fire window and great arcs.

Also it's very sneaky and great for recapping late in the game.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I swear to gently caress if I see another battleship miles away from the caps in domination I'm going to run them down and TK them myself because gently caress off for not supporting your goddamn team.

Edit: Lol took top xp with 2 caps, 2 kills, and 12k damage. What an awful team. 3 BBs survived.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 10, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OSad posted:

On the whole idea that DD's are hard to play and have the highest impact on the games discussion that happened a page or two ago, I do think DD's are one of the most important elements of your team, but they maybe bat it out with Cruisers a bit for that role.

The sad reality of it all is, at least in tiers 4 - 7'ish from what I observe, is that if a team loses all of its DD's first in the five minutes of the match or so and the other team still has its DD's intact, then that team is doomed to fail no matter how poorly the enemy team is doing. Between alpha damage from torps, burn damage from HE shells, spotting and capping potential that their speed and maneuverability brings, and generally just being little annoying buggers, DD's bring a lot and are too important to squander in your team. If you're a destroyer captain and you're not running the clock every time or at least trying to stay alive for the first few minutes of the game, you are severely hampering your team's ability to win matches. When I'm playing BB's, get into a match with five DD's on each side, and most of my DD's are dead before any other ship types have been killed, my head just sinks to my hands because I know our team just lost most of its versatility.

Cruisers are a similar situation in that they're also really fast, most of them have torpedoes, high tier ones can heal themselves, but they also have that anti-air capability. To balance that out, I guess they still have to have citadels. I still think Cruisers are a bit stronger than Destroyers in the hands of a competent player since a Cruiser usually has the guns and the DPM to burn anything it doesn't like to the ground from a very safe distance, while also being able to do most things a DD can do as well.

It's actually a bit strange to think that Cruisers are like, the third most played class in the game (or at least, that's what it feels like) behind Battleships and Destroyers when you can have games you could only dream of in a Cruiser instead of a Battleship. But I guess that would come down to Cruisers being quite challenging to play due to the lack of armor.

It would be nice if the game got back into lining up the # of destroyers in a match again. I've been having a few too many games where its 2v1 or 3v2 in destroyers, and the team with the disadvantage in numbers also gets the worst ships.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone having connectivity issues with the game just now?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

It would be nice if the game got back into lining up the # of destroyers in a match again. I've been having a few too many games where its 2v1 or 3v2 in destroyers, and the team with the disadvantage in numbers also gets the worst ships.

Yeah, it's really pretty bad when your team gets one less DD. As if having one whole less *destroyer* isn't bad enough, sometimes the enemy team gets an extra American DD off of it while you're stuck primarily with Japanese DD's.

Japanese DD's are fun and all but they just get bullied around by every other DD class, unless you're Akizuki. And for some reason, nearly every Japanese gunboat is equal or better at launching torpedoes than the torpedo boats are, while the guns continue to be incredibly lackluster, which doesn't help very much. The decision to put a consumable that reloads torpedoes faster on a gunboat, instead of a consumable that buffs the turret rotation or rate of fire or even the range of the guns, is also one of the more headscratch-inducing decisions I've ever seen on a Wargaming product.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeC posted:

I am unsure how you do not eat wave after wave of torps like this. I am at T7 and torps are fast and deadly. The Gnei is way too long and not nearly nimble enough to dodge good torp waves cleanly. Given German BB bulge protection, or rather the lack of it, I don't see how you actually live long enough to do respectable damage

I'm in T5/6 which helps, honestly it generally relies on just not giving them a consistent angle to shoot you at, keep adjusting your bearing. I would never call it efficient because at best you kill a destroyer with a battleship which is a waste of time, it's just pleasingly spiteful.

Oh and stay head on, you can't heave your big fat boat around fast enough to dodge a torpedo spread, but you can make them shoot you assuming you'll keep going slightly right or left and then turn the other way or slow down.

You'll eat a few torps regardless but as I say it's entirely motivated by wanting to be a dick to destroyers rather than trying to actually do anything useful. If you have any better targets then I'd suggest concentrating on them instead.

E: So I just lost a 1 on 1 brawl against a konig in this stupid bayern, and he wasn't even shootiing at me half the time.

I stand by my position that it's a piece of poo poo compared to the konig. 4s longer reload, no appreciable increase in damage per shell or penetration rate, one less turret, worse secondaries, it performs abysmally when you fetch up against a konig.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 10, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

CitizenKain posted:

what I see a lot is this is combined with tiering so that one team gets an IJN DD while the other team has a cruiser. Both of them are seeing opponents two tiers higher. Which do you think is going to struggle more?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except the Missouri will fund the purchase of all of those singlehandedly.

I already have all the credits I could ever need.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm really liking the Leander just now but I have to say it blows hot and cold worse than any other ship I have I think.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I found the RN cruisers (at least from tier 6 up, although I felt it somewhat at tier 3-5) are by far the most consistent line I've ever played in terms of game by game performance. If I fail to do my HP in damage, 99% of the time it is because I hosed up something fierce rather than any weakness of the ship itself.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Rorac posted:

I found the RN cruisers (at least from tier 6 up, although I felt it somewhat at tier 3-5) are by far the most consistent line I've ever played in terms of game by game performance. If I fail to do my HP in damage, 99% of the time it is because I hosed up something fierce rather than any weakness of the ship itself.

RN cruisers remind me of french medium/heavy tanks when they were first introduced in WoT. They could put out a LOT of damage. However, their lack of armor made them very vulnerable to die-ing early. And I believe still to this day, those tank lines are still recommended for advanced players only or they'll be a detriment to the team. They also had good top speed allowing them to quickly get into trouble as well.

But yeah, RN cruisers seem the same way. Paper armor, but good to amazing dpm. However, when not played to their strengths, they'll fall over quickly unable to really help their team like they can.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I had an Iowa on fire and down to 11hp when the battle ended, because the other team was so bad they reached negative points after only 5 minutes. These simple campaign demands just refuse to happen when they're switched on.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Just a friendly reminder to people who can't get past campaigns: You can do the same task more than once to get the pins... you just can't get the reward more than once.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The Myogi is great, unironically. But pubbies are terrible.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I finished the last anime mission today. Why did I get two extra I-401 captains as a reward? First it's a submarine, and second even though it's on the hidden tech tree it has no art assets.

I guess it's cool that I can have a pink bear captain an anime Atago.

JuffoWup posted:

RN cruisers remind me of french medium/heavy tanks when they were first introduced in WoT. They could put out a LOT of damage. However, their lack of armor made them very vulnerable to die-ing early. And I believe still to this day, those tank lines are still recommended for advanced players only or they'll be a detriment to the team. They also had good top speed allowing them to quickly get into trouble as well.

But yeah, RN cruisers seem the same way. Paper armor, but good to amazing dpm. However, when not played to their strengths, they'll fall over quickly unable to really help their team like they can.

I wish my AMX 50 120 got smoke.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

The Myogi is great, unironically. But pubbies are terrible.

Honest opinion: The ishizuchi is a better t4 ijn BB than the myogi.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
In an NC at the beginning of the match, I tell my team to prioritize killing DD when they're spotted. "But cruisers and BB are harder to kill than DD, we should focus them" says a Myoko. I tell him no, the power of DD scales up as the match goes on, especially if ours are dead while theirs are alive. The last kill? Me eating the torps of the last DD after having been the one killing the other two. Confederate and Kraken wasted.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Hazdoc posted:

Just a friendly reminder to people who can't get past campaigns: You can do the same task more than once to get the pins... you just can't get the reward more than once.

Ohhhhhhhh

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

E: So I just lost a 1 on 1 brawl against a konig in this stupid bayern, and he wasn't even shootiing at me half the time.

I stand by my position that it's a piece of poo poo compared to the konig. 4s longer reload, no appreciable increase in damage per shell or penetration rate, one less turret, worse secondaries, it performs abysmally when you fetch up against a konig.

The Badyern is thoroughly a poopvessel. Mediocre, inaccurate firepower in its tier, where Fusos and New Mexicos have nearly double the guns it has. The big advantage German BB's get of having above-average reload speeds is gone. The dispersion on the guns jumps by more than twenty meters from the tier 4 to tier 6 ship. The turrets turn slightly faster, but that doesn't matter as the amount of shots you can put out will mostly penetrate the sea anyway.

The one redeeming factor is the good amount of secondary fire you can put out, which is already just a normal German thing anyway. When I got this ship, I lost ten games in a row in it and I thought it was cursed. I think it has the worst winrate out of any of my battleships.

EDIT:

My ~*First*~ Supercontainer and it's thoroughly excellent.

OSad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 10, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Honest opinion: The ishizuchi is a better t4 ijn BB than the myogi.

I have weird ship stats.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

OSad posted:

The Badyern is thoroughly a poopvessel. Mediocre, inaccurate firepower in its tier, where Fusos and New Mexicos have nearly double the guns it has. The big advantage German BB's get of having above-average reload speeds is gone. The dispersion on the guns jumps by more than twenty meters from the tier 4 to tier 6 ship. The turrets turn slightly faster, but that doesn't matter as the amount of shots you can put out will mostly penetrate the sea anyway.

...this is sarcasm, right? The Bayern is a fantastic T6 ship, with absurd armor meaning you can do all sorts of ridiculous stuff to other T6 BBs and get away with it. While you're not packing the same broadside as a New Mexico, the New Mex wants nothing to do with you at close range, since you'll be able to cut through its comparatively weaker armor with ease. The Fuso is stronger at range, but its not like it can dictate that range all the time. At shorter ranges, it dies like the rest.

The Bayern is a fantastic brawler that introduces you to the bullshit that is german armor and brawling potential going into the higher tiers.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

...this is sarcasm, right? The Bayern is a fantastic T6 ship, with absurd armor meaning you can do all sorts of ridiculous stuff to other T6 BBs and get away with it. While you're not packing the same broadside as a New Mexico, the New Mex wants nothing to do with you at close range, since you'll be able to cut through its comparatively weaker armor with ease. The Fuso is stronger at range, but its not like it can dictate that range all the time. At shorter ranges, it dies like the rest.

The Bayern is a fantastic brawler that introduces you to the bullshit that is german armor and brawling potential going into the higher tiers.

No, I do think it's bad.

I specced this thing for straight-up brawls and I've done great in every other German BB so far just like that. But this ship specifically hasn't worked for me. My winrate in it is worse than in my Izumo and that's a goddamn feat.

It just doesn't hit things often enough, doesn't have the firepower volume, and doesn't have anything going for it that's *that* special that pulls it through. Sure, you have a Nagato-level of secondaries a tier lower, you won't get citadeled very often, but dishing out punishment back is a real problem in this ship.

I dunno. I didn't do great in my Nagato either but at least I remember that being fun. This thing is just a tub of lard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Clearly you're doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. My winrate is almost 70% with it.

EDIT: Are you aiming for the waterline against other BBs? Generally with a German BB you want to aim for the edge of the main armor belt, where the casemates would be.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I have weird ship stats.

Where is your ishizuchi. I bet you would perform even better with it over the myogi.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hazdoc posted:

I had a friend do the entire second phase of the campaign by repeatedly doing the "witherer" mission in his Zao.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Quite possibly the best game I have ever played.

And the worst Nagato/New Mexico drivers I've ever seen. They didn't seem to know what to do with a Scharnhorst charging them and torpedoing them at point blank range. Add a Russian DD and a Pensacola sniping me long range I shouldn't have survived that at all.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Where is your ishizuchi. I bet you would perform even better with it over the myogi.

One of the biggest things I abuse the Myogi is I can kite/outrange other BBs at my tier (plus, as I learned today 14 inchers can citadel a Wyoming frontally). The Ishizuchi only has a 10km range and smaller caliber guns, no?