Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It's actually nice not having the Onion Knight BSB. I can use everyone else's RW without having to use him personally. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eiko's Hamelin also returns on Zidane OSB 2 - Crit+50% is very nice for physical parties.
Hamelin's good but not a hastega

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What sort of faithgas+damage are coming up soon, anyway? I haven't been paying attention to those, and I'm sort of spoiled for choice on stacking multi-stat buffs, so I'm looking into the best possible straight MAG buff.

Cir Raines bsb is damage + mag/def(super uncommon)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What sort of faithgas+damage are coming up soon, anyway? I haven't been paying attention to those, and I'm sort of spoiled for choice on stacking multi-stat buffs, so I'm looking into the best possible straight MAG buff.

Raines' BSB is the premier one - it's absurdly good and the only possible con you can strike against it is that it's right after the XIV event. Otherwise it's on a great mage banner, which also has another Faithga+Hastega (Serah's SSB2).

Assuming you want magic damage (Dorgann's SSB has +ATK/MAG and damage but he's a physical character), there's Exdeath's SSB coming up in a couple weeks, but after the Lightning event they virtually disappear - I think checking the list no new ones exist until the Rapha event 5-6 months from now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
U++ for the FF8 event wasn't too bad. Noel loves close calls because he was hit by Holy right before the 2nd wave died and then ate a flare then AOE in the start of the last wave and held on with a sliver of health (due largely to immediately hitting with Vaan's BSB) and then got a Curaja to get back up in to safety. Boss died with the counter at 2. Would've been close if Noel died since he was firing off his BSB when taken to near-death and I was out of SBs on everyone else by then.

Actually lost a medal for actions taken because I had jack poo poo for AOE and was just burning down the enemies with single target skills/SBs.

KataraniSword posted:

On the flipside, it's also a logical place for them to throw banners in order to drain mythril away.

They might not do it, but my gut instinct is that they know drat well to set those banner festivals alongside the most hyped banners; they did it with Ramza, after all.

I'd be pretty shocked if they don't do a Christmas banner, even if it isn't as bonkers as the black friday BSB banner.

Not that I'd object to another lucky draw BSB-only banner. :v:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I think there's one more offensive Faithga stuck in FFXI limbo with Shantotto too.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if they don't do a Christmas banner, even if it isn't as bonkers as the black friday BSB banner.

Not that I'd object to another lucky draw BSB-only banner. :v:

We're supposed to get an Ice SB Lucky Draw at some point, I could see them moving it up a tad for a Christmas Banner. Or maybe make the old instrument Banner that was stuck to the JP Roulette event half price on first pull?

Alternatively, a Noël themed Banner :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

LornMarkus posted:

Well poo poo, now I really regret that garbage pull on the VI banner cause that means I'm only gonna be able to manage 1 pull for OSB fest. Oh well, such is life.

I'm probably going to do two pulls on Alphinaud 1 since people are saying I'll have enough, that'll leave me with none for OSB fest but oh well.

Unless I get lucky and pull all the super good equipment on my first 11 pull. Yeah right. :v:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm probably going to do two pulls on Alphinaud 1 since people are saying I'll have enough, that'll leave me with none for OSB fest but oh well.

Unless I get lucky and pull all the super good equipment on my first 11 pull. Yeah right. :v:

I'll probably have enough for 3 pulls by then, and it'll all go into it, assuming the OSB Fest don't drain me with something interesting. I really need another Faithga/Hastega for my Mage team, Celes' is nice but, well, both stacks, you know?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Needed to scratch gacha itch, so did an 11 pull on the JP 8 banner.

Squall burst AND combat king?

Man I play JP only very casually and it's stacked with great SBs :( need some luck to trickle across the ocean into global

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Going purely by Soul Break levels, the worst thing on Alphinaud/Minfilia Banner 1 is Thyrus. (Yes, her Omnirod SSB is technically less impressive, but my point stands.) That should begin to illustrate just how insane the banner is for anyone still contemplating their mythril expenditures.

TotallynotaneditbecauseIgoofed - Okay, the worst thing is actually her Medica 2 coat, but even that's a medica + esuna.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'll basically have 500 mythril to spend between XIV and the festival, although I almost certainly won't spend all of it since I want to do a pull on Zidane OSB 2 as well and TG Cid 1/Cid Polledina 1 if I have some left over. But if I pull Excalibur T during the festival I might skip TG Cid and chase his OSB/BSB on Rafa/Malak 2 instead.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had planned 150 each for OK banner and FFVI Shadow banner and got both OK's gauntlets and Shadow's Koga Blade for my first pull on each, so now I have 257 mythril.

Gonna pull once or twice on 14 and then spend the rest on 13 so I can get Raines BSB. I'll probably have this problem again after I get what I want for only 100 mythril once more.

EDIT: Angeal 2 has Sephiroth's Darkness gloves right? I have a physical aoe imperil dark to go along with Shadow's BSB so I want to try to progress further toward my pipe dream elemental dark team.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 10, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Now that I have them both in my party, it strikes me how weirdly similar Relm and Kefka look. They have the same color palette.

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.
So I decided screw it, and pulled on Keepers Choice 2. Shout AND Sentinel Grimoire :stare: the two relics I needed!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Friggin Firepants posted:

So I decided screw it, and pulled on Keepers Choice 2. Shout AND Sentinel Grimoire :stare: the two relics I needed!

Hit the inside straight, nice!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

I am furious with envy. Especially since I pulled on that about a month back and only got a lovely off-banner Shared. :argh:

Either way, congrats, as long as you don't mind using Tyro you're now pretty well equipped for a lot of the high-end content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LornMarkus posted:

I am furious with envy. Especially since I pulled on that about a month back and only got a lovely off-banner Shared. :argh:

Either way, congrats, as long as you don't mind using Tyro you're now pretty well equipped for a lot of the high-end content.

Tyro pretty much never leaves my team. Lots of people severely undervalue his usefulness.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

dang those are both on there? i'm gonna give it a shot.

e: excal ff5

baram. fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 10, 2016

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

It's mist cave stl the most efficient place to grind RMs?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm kind of in love with multiplayer. It's so frantic and just being able to experiment with so many combinations is really fun. My favorite duo so far for brute force and aesthetic reasons is Paladin Cecil with saints cross and his burst and an Exdeath with Dark Zone/Memento Mori and Neo Almagest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Alpine Mustache posted:

It's mist cave stl the most efficient place to grind RMs?

You can use the beginning stages of any event. Personally I like to go for the second stage though; it's a little less efficient, but you'll get small Upgrade mats instead of cluttery 1* equipment as loot.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I want to use Zell in multiplayer but his BSB being random hits kind of kills his usefulness against Amandine so I just end up bringing Pecil and Y'shtola

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Now that I have them both in my party, it strikes me how weirdly similar Relm and Kefka look. They have the same color palette.

Gau and Strago use that palette as well. Edgar, Sabin, Celes & Leo share a palette too. Shadow, Setzer, Locke, and Cyan.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tyro pretty much never leaves my team. Lots of people severely undervalue his usefulness.

Eh. I have native SG and Shout and find that Ramza just brings more to the table than Tyro in most realms, so unless a fight is unbelievably grindy, native Shout + Ramza's superior stats let me kill things easily within the time limit of two RW casts. My relic suite is pretty spectacular though (BSBs for Lightning, Bartz, Vaan, Fang, Balthier, Celes, Squall, Cloud, Serah, Garnet, Eiko, Aerith, OSB for Tidus, and tons of relevant SSBs), so people who've had less luck on their draws and/or weren't day 1 players are probably gonna see that differently.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm just too lazy to take Tyro off. He does Multi Break (or whatever gimmicky thing he needs for mastery conditions) and Shellga and SG and maybe the RW if it's a buff and then he sits around. Oh, I guess he bonks people in the head with his book if they fall asleep or get confused too.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Gau and Strago use that palette as well. Edgar, Sabin, Celes & Leo share a palette too. Shadow, Setzer, Locke, and Cyan.

I'm assuming there are certain palettes designated in the code for ffvi, and to save space they were assigned to multiple characters? And then this is one of the reasons the colors aren't 1:1 with Amano's designs?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm assuming there are certain palettes designated in the code for ffvi, and to save space they were assigned to multiple characters? And then this is one of the reasons the colors aren't 1:1 with Amano's designs?

More importantly, this is far enough back that we're still talking about game scripts that had to be rewritten because it was literally impossible to fit a straight translation of the Japanese scripts. So yeah, it's entirely possible they only had room for x-number of separate palettes and thus the same one got used for Kefka and Relm and likely another thing or two.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I didn't mess with the palette end much back when I did FF6 hacking-I mostly did script/statistic hacking-but I do recall a weird detail I learned in passing, where the game would wig the hell out if you ever had Magitek Armor on a party of four people, because it uses the fourth PC's slot to store their palette space.

So yeah, that kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

More or less, yes. There were also hardware limitations to consider.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SageAcrin posted:

I didn't mess with the palette end much back when I did FF6 hacking-I mostly did script/statistic hacking-but I do recall a weird detail I learned in passing, where the game would wig the hell out if you ever had Magitek Armor on a party of four people, because it uses the fourth PC's slot to store their palette space.

So yeah, that kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

That's insane and cool. Some of the tricks they had to pull back then to get around storage and hardware limitations were pretty intense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

That's insane and cool. Some of the tricks they had to pull back then to get around storage and hardware limitations were pretty intense.

FF6 was also a hack job of incredible proportions and it's a wonder that the game mostly worked at all.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Ran through the Ultimates for the FF8 banner. Surprisingly I didn't have too much problems. Only really hairy part in the Ult++ was when the two in the second phase led off with Meteor, but fortunately they wasted enough turns so Selphie could heal the gang up. Tyro and Celes really owned in that fight.

I swear though, these battles with Seifer make him seem like he would have been an excellent mage instead of a knight. His fights are so magic heavy.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Oh yeah, Amandine 160 is sooo much fun in the second half. Dread Gaze, Firaga, Fira, Dread Gaze, Dark Mist, Stonega, Firaga, Dread Gaze - and the raid members not stunned or paralyzed haven't even gotten a turn at this point. loving lovely Android. Not even an old phone (Nexus 6P) and that poo poo just goes tits up the second any SB gets cast.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

One of the reasons. It's why Celes doesn't have a goddamn Kill Bill jumpsuit to match Cid's banana coat, I'm pretty sure. Also why Leo isn't nearly as dark-skinned as his Amano art suggests.

Terra having green hair is more "if both of our heroines are wispy blonde waifs how will gamers tell them apart".

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

KataraniSword posted:

goddamn Kill Bill jumpsuit
Cid's banana coat

I'd legit consider spending mythril on either of these if they were offered.

Actually, a monthly Wardrobe Record gacha that cost Greens or Gil would be pretty awesome.

Anyways, two things that dawned on me as I began working through the latest DU:

1) With orbfest coming its a good time to deliberately stall at 4 stamina shared and save the cheapest-stamina dungeon for a mini-refresh

2) During the JP 2nd anniversary they halved the cost of all story dungeons. If you aren't in urgent need of more mythril or orbs then it may be worthwhile to min-max by saving the non-stamina-shard dungeons until then.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

kalensc posted:

Actually, a monthly Wardrobe Record gacha that cost Greens or Gil would be pretty awesome.

1) With orbfest coming its a good time to deliberately stall at 4 stamina shared and save the cheapest-stamina dungeon for a mini-refresh

2) During the JP 2nd anniversary they halved the cost of all story dungeons. If you aren't in urgent need of more mythril or orbs then it may be worthwhile to min-max by saving the non-stamina-shard dungeons until then.

Ehh, just do stuff on Thursdays because gently caress white orb day.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kalensc posted:

Eh... 2 is a bad call because IIRC the half stamina dungeons are concurrent with an orbfest.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kalensc posted:

For the record, they've continued doing this for 5 days every month, at the monthly dungeon update release. But yes, if you're not desperate for the mythril, saving for the 2nd anniversary will mean you can get a lot more use out of your stamina. Just be aware that the half stamina period there also overlaps with a set of mythril-granting Cid's Missions (do a specific dungeon with a specific party, one per realm), events, and, towards the end, an orbfest.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Eh... 2 is a bad call because IIRC the half stamina dungeons are concurrent with an orbfest.

There's a month of half stamina dungeons. Orbfest is only 2 weeks.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Cleared the VIII event, including the CM. The sorceress gauntlet was rough if only because poison is a weak element for me, but once I got past that it was (relatively) easy.

And I am now a card carrying member of the Indomitable Blade fan club, watching Celes no-sell their magic was just :discourse: Whoever called it a proto-BSB was spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Dollar pull Whale Whisker? That's not nothing! How curious.

• Locked thread