Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
CIG are publishing (and re-factoring) the roadmaps with so much information about the pass because they want people to think they are making great estimates - in a few months, with obfuscation, people will look at the dates and say "well they were off by a couple a days" forgetting these maps were published like two weeks before the events and not when the roadmap starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

He's well known to be a complete grump. "Anime is trash" - H. Miyazaki .

He actually believes this. I've read quite a few interviews where he is (rightfully) upset at the industry, byproducts of otaku culture and all the other... Inaccessible, products created for an over leveraged out of touch community with very specific, tastes.

One of his driving motives is to tell stories that elevate people. His response is not just being an old man. It was directly speaking against that ultra specific niche application of an idea that was grotesque and something that ran against people who are often seen as less than because of their disabilities.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to stick up for people that don't have a typical range of movement, control, etc. The presenter's joy was misplaced. His initial question really cut to the heart of it, but what is it for?

2am care rant ^ nice meltdown

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 10, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Ponzi posted:

I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/magic_leap_neither_magic_nor_leaping/

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

For some reason, Star Citizen immediately came to mind...

Oh my god that list is amazing :lol:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

He actually believes this. I've read quite a few interviews where he is (rightfully) upset at the industry, byproducts of otaku culture and all the other... Inaccessible, products created for an over leveraged out of touch community with very specific, tastes.

One of his drivering forces is to tell stories that elevate people. His response is not just being an old man. It was directly speaking against that ultra specific niche application of an idea that was grotesque and something that ran against people who are often seen as less than because of their disabilities.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to stick up for people don't have a typical range of movement, control, etc. The presenters joy was misplaced. His initial question really cut to the heart of it, but what is it for?

2am care rant ^ nice meltdown

Agree. But also would like to know what context that presentation was in. I mean, if it was the kickoff meeting for project "Capcom asked Studio Ghibli to help in the next Resident Evil" it would make totally more sense than "what technical advances have we made that might improve our next Studio Ghibli movie". I struggle to understand why this tech was presented (or even developed) at Studio Ghibli (and to Miyazaki) in the first place.

E: capcom, not konami...drat brain, quit loving up so bad..

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 10, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

gwarlaugh.gifv]

This is like a bunch of chickens that got startled and they are all just clucking and trying to calm down.

"CRYTEK BANKRUPT?!?!?!.....Star Citizen.....???"
"Star Citizen is good"
"Star Citizen is good"
"Star Citizen is good"
"Star Citizen is good"
"Star Citizen is good"

Ponzi posted:

At the end of the story is a list of ways to spot a tech company that's full of poo poo:

HA

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ponzi posted:

The one and only time CIG has hit every target. :)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SelenicMartian posted:

Photoshop masters, there's a horse-driven cart somewhere missing its two straw-hat bumpkins.

Lol its poor man's ginger Kai Owen with an ear ring.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

hakimashou posted:

Lol its poor man's ginger Kai Owen with an ear ring.
Poor man's? This is the best 140 million can buy!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

:five:

I swear this isnt the first animation of theirs i've seen where its got really twitchy pumping or shaking movements like that and the body keeps swaying around like its coked up.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 10, 2016

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Ponzi posted:

I ws just reading a story on The Register about 'Magic Leap', a company that puts out impressive (fake) marketting videos to demostrate their revolutionary technology, but have yet to come up with an actual product:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/magic_leap_neither_magic_nor_leaping/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Chomp.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Photoshop masters, there's a horse-driven cart somewhere missing its two straw-hat bumpkins.

Bill and Ted's bogus game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fake it before you can make it... except you'll never make it.

CIG updating their roadmap on fridays is funny. Its well known that you dump info you dont want people to remember on fridays. Then you have tentative schedules that say that testing might start on a friday. Lets be real, no one is working on pushing 2.6 to the ptu during the weekend, you might as well say the range starts on monday. Also they have a week to release it on the ptu and on live? Looks like anything after the 16th is a no go.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 10, 2016

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
lol, they have seriously gone through FOUR different versions of the project tracker, and they still haven't produced anything.

"NETWORK
Network Engineering is getting to the end of stripping out the old parts of CryLobby/CryMatchmaking"

Oh, they're getting to the end of stripping out the legacy networking? That's great, then surely their new and improved version must be just around the corner.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The AtV was under 20 minutes long, had more than a minute of a guy walking away from a table, and a minute of this.

They've got nothing. This needs to be a refund button.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

:five:

I swear this isnt the first animation of theirs i've seen where its got really twitchy pumping or shaking movements like that and the body keeps swaying around like its coked up.

Maybe Croberts was the mocap model.

"No no NO the planes I mean spaceships get launched off like THIS and you need to signal the launch properly otherwise the pilot will misjudge the wind and crash into the water"

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I don't know anything about UK financial statements standards -- they don't include a disclosure of the compensation to the top managers (CEO, CFO, etc.)? That's one of my favorite things about reading public companies' filings for the US. :sigh: Why couldn't CIG make this clusterfuck even more fantastic by going public here?

Chris Roberts is in breach of the law at the moment and not filing the accounts for most of his UK companies. He filed accounts for Foundry 42 though but there isn't much to see. Erin Roberts was paid a higher salary from Foundry 42 Ltd than David Braben earned from Frontier Developments PLC though. Of course Erin may have his fingers in more of the Star Citizen company pies in addition to this though. I'm sure that Chris' beak is well wetted but at best we might find out what he was paid for directing the motion capping. His salaries are probably drawn from companies outside the UK.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

HycoCam posted:

Hardy harhar--CIG never, ever planned a live release before Christmas. I'll bet you the 2.6 patch goes to the PTU--where anyone with a subscription can play. Where I'm sure it will sit for a month or so before the free, live release. Gotta get that $10 out everyone.

That's actually a rather cunningly devious plan from CIG if that's their intention.

Make 2.6 subscriber only over the holidays to ensure every backer feels the need to sub.
In the new year, start pushing more exclusive subscriber content citing the large numbers of subs as justification.
Gradually treat the non-subs worse and worse. Big (well.. bigger! lol) delays until they get any new release, gated off content on the Spectrum?

Congratulations, you've basically transitioned to adopted the subscriber model for your buy-to-play game. Wait a few months, hike the price a bit more and continue to treat the non-sub customers like dogshit and you're there.

e. I realise that CIG basically started down this road months ago with the sub/non-sub divide but it's the leaving 2.6 & SM access over Xmas which will really force peoples hand.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 10, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Enchanted Hat posted:

lol, they have seriously gone through FOUR different versions of the project tracker, and they still haven't produced anything.

"NETWORK
Network Engineering is getting to the end of stripping out the old parts of CryLobby/CryMatchmaking"

Oh, they're getting to the end of stripping out the legacy networking? That's great, then surely their new and improved version must be just around the corner.

I've been reading a lot of backer talk about the project tracker and it's just another one of the aspects of this that baffle me. Like the demos being fake, something so obviously stupid that I have trouble seeing where backers come from on it.

CIG obviously dumped that out with vague things like "CONTENT" and "NETWORK" as things being worked on and from Minute 1 it was already wrong in terms of date. If you look at any real project tracker from an actual company you could also tell the items they were tracking were basically vague enough to be fake. So in terms of what it was even supposed to track, and the time it was supposed to track those things it's useless from the start.

Backers rejoiced, the project tracker has been used hundreds(thousands?) of times in arguments now as an example of open development and what CIG is doing right. It is the ultimate weapon to silence critics and dissent. It probably pulled in at least a million itself by CIG doing the nice one two punch of starving people of real information for four years, and then feeding them fake bullshit at long last during a sale. It doesn't matter what the food is, if you've been hungry long enough it will be the best thing in the world. The tracker had the same type (but less severity) of effect as 2.0 or the gamescom demo.

Now the tracker is just another thing that backers have to make up excuses and justifications to cover for CIG on. They are now going to great lengths to convince each other why "CONTENT" makes sense in a development checklist, and why the dates having been wrong from the start and constantly being adjusted are actually good for Star Citizen.

It's like going dodecatuple down on being hopelessly stupid, and for some reason i can't explain I expected them to stop by now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does Subnautica still have a direct link to their Jira? The real one that shows actual tasks and not CONTENT?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does Subnautica still have a direct link to their Jira? The real one that shows actual tasks and not CONTENT?

It's a Trello board but yes.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

What is this bullshit with like hundreds of different tasks laid out in clearly defined timeframes with complete tracking, information and progression?

In case you idiots haven't heard Star Citizen has the most open development ever. I know to expect CONTENT December 8th December 16th 2016? NETWORK will be amazing.

I bet that poo poo doesn't even cost $3,000.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What is this bullshit with like hundreds of different tasks laid out in clearly defined timeframes with complete tracking, information and progression?

In case you idiots haven't heard Star Citizen has the most open development ever. I know to expect CONTENT December 8th December 16th 2016? NETWORK will be amazing.

I bet that poo poo doesn't even cost $3,000.

The other weird thing they do is move delivery dates of some of the features forward instead of always just pushing things back. Obviously they don't understand game development and this is all just smoke and mirrors to tick a box on their crowdfunding promises.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5hk5gl/crytek_problems/

StarEngine: a Cryengine with all CR's goodness strapped on.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm still tickled by the parking sensor. So dumb, so star citizen.

Elite provides a wireframe 3d display showing your alignment and proximity when docking. Star citizen uses a gun sized sensor bolted to your spaceship with the words "parking sensor" printed on it. Parking sensor. On a loving spaceship.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

The other weird thing they do is move delivery dates of some of the features forward instead of always just pushing things back. Obviously they don't understand game development and this is all just smoke and mirrors to tick a box on their crowdfunding promises.

CIG trusts me enough to tell me nothing and let me imagine my own perfect justifications. They obviously trust my judgment and let me be an independent salesman selling things to myself.

Subnautica just wants to move dates forward (suspicious much?!?!) and preach at me about hundreds of things they are working on. This only makes sense if they have something to hide.

alphabettitouretti posted:

I'm still tickled by the parking sensor. So dumb, so star citizen.

Elite provides a wireframe 3d display showing your alignment and proximity when docking. Star citizen uses a gun sized sensor bolted to your spaceship with the words "parking sensor" printed on it. Parking sensor. On a loving spaceship.

Did you know that all you need is your imagination? The parking sensors are great because they stick out from the ship so obviously you will be able to use them to breach other ships hulls. Imagine all the fantastic things you could do with that. Literally any scenario you can imagine. Star Citizen is good.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This is good for bitscoin Star Citizen.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I've Never Respected Israel

I'm not sure what gave you that idea :question: Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to take a small amount of time out of their day of screaming at the computer game to call or visit their parents because they love and care about you

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

kilus aof posted:

You can't patch something a week before Christmas. That's when you have the fewest available employees. And you don't get back up to full speed till mid way through January. That release date is so unrealistic I can only assume since it is CIG it is accurate.

Christmas is cancelled everyone!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

I agree

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Im glad someone understands.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

There's a ship with a part marked parking sensor on it?

I remember seeing some picture with a thing circled talking about parking sensor, but I guess I didn't look close enough. I thought people were just making fun of faked gun locations or something, and circling a tiny feature where the shots appear to come from.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

There's a ship with a part marked parking sensor on it?

I remember seeing some picture with a thing circled talking about parking sensor, but I guess I didn't look close enough. I thought people were just making fun of faked gun locations or something, and circling a tiny feature where the shots appear to come from.

No, the rocket launcher-looking part in question was very explicitly labelled as an actual parking sensor.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Beer I'm extremely glad that you've came around, but lol at thinking cig has any sort of procedure or schedule of how fast they respond to refund emails besides 'did we make a couple mil from a sale one day ago - after salaries and paying loans and Sandi money.'

I suspect they will drag their feet and reply to you and other leavers at the exact time of the next Xmas sale and not a day before.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tippis posted:

No, the rocket launcher-looking part in question was very explicitly labelled as an actual parking sensor.

wow

Can somebody repost that?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

wow

Can somebody repost that?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

holy wooooow

That's just mind boggling.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's very parking-sensitive. Ticklish, even.

That's why every CIG's ship starts jumping if you touch them wrong on the pad. Ve-e-ery ticklish.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One thing I've yet to see :reddit: realize is that the terrible and pointless launch sequence animation must either be integral to SQ42 or totally unrelated which means either A) Squadron 42 is nowhere near being ready for a preliminary rollout or B) the animation team is spending its time working on something totally pointless. Neither of these are good options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
New PTU start date is 14th. They stop working the 16th. So looks like 2.6 is not coming out this year lol.