Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

tomdidiot posted:

Any of you goons want to do a Staff game of an OCS? Perhaps Sicily or Tunisia II? Bunch of us on each side, divide it into commands, with an overall commander allocaitng supplies and poo poo.

This is incredibly tempting. I've been doing some solo playing some of the stuff after realizing how bad I was when I "played" Tekopo on VASSAL and am slowly realizing how these games work. Loving the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

So, say I was to order Unconditional Surrender from GMT for delivery to the UK, anyone want to speculate the approximate shipping cost? About $17 or so right? And the idea is that it cuts out all VAT and customs so all I have to pay is shipping?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

tomdidiot posted:

Oh sure, they look pretty, but [Avalanche Press Games]'re poorly tested trash.

Not trying to belabor the point here but can you give an example? Is that a general consensus here? Nobody else chimed in with an opinion.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What's are the biggest wargames in terms of pieces and footprint they take up? Systems with smaller scenarios that can lock together count

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pieces, I'd bet ASL. Footprint, I'd hazard an OCS title.

Assuming that scenarios also includes expansions, cause that trims down a few games if you can't combine their maps.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Banana Man posted:

What's are the biggest wargames in terms of pieces and footprint they take up? Systems with smaller scenarios that can lock together count

World in Flames and Case Blue (combined with Guderian's Blitzkrieg II) off the top of my head.

EDIT: I held back on ASL simply because I don't see a game of ASL that takes enough of map and/or pieces in any one combined scenario. With exception perhaps of that one terrifying "link all the mapboards together" thing someone posted.

vvvvvvvvvvv and there's Case Blue with GBII for reference. Needs 8 1/2' x 11' with some concessions due to map weirdness.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 10, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Banana Man posted:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I think War in Europe might be the biggest single game.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Mother of god. I assume wargames require a deeper level of trust that the other guy doesn't scoot some supply truck group several hundred km

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

I think Devil's Cauldron + Where Eagles Dare, the market garden games of Grand Tactical Series might deserve mention for map size; I think combined you have a twenty fifteen foot stretch of map to figure out where the gently caress to play.

EDIT: And here's the pic. As you can see, they got some extra-large maps and then the game wants them oriented in the least table-friendly way possible.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 10, 2016

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Mother of god. I assume wargames require a deeper level of trust that the other guy doesn't scoot some supply truck group several hundred km

They're really just playing a solitaire gaming experience co-op; where each side is manned by one person rather than the usual lone grognard moving pieces by himself in a basement. Despite what the rules imply, both players win if they finish the god drat thing.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 10, 2016

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Carbolic posted:

Not trying to belabor the point here but can you give an example? Is that a general consensus here? Nobody else chimed in with an opinion.

It's not an uncommon opinion on BGG.

I mean, they somehow managed to take Third Reich and come up with a version of it that was sloppy and full of rules holes. Some of their earlier naval games were OK/good (SOPAC/Bomb Alley), but their newer stuff is just dumb alternate history bullshit which is thrown together haphazardly.. I've bought games from them in the past, because ooh pretty ships, but I honestly have very little desire to buy from them again. The stuff made by GMT and MMP is of far higher quality.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Banana Man posted:

I'm not sure if there's a full action shot of War in Europe, it can only be seen in angles, segments, and reflections:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I'm not sure if there's a full action shot of War in Europe, it can only be seen in angles, segments, and reflections:

Someone seems to have taken a full photo of setup before what I can only assume was the unraveling of reality around that room.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Good god, at least it's supposed to be low complexity right? At least until your brain bursts from viewing too much of the board.

(as opposed to that OCS monster especially)

Speaking of operational ww2 games, I almost bought my dad Axis and Allies Pacific and Europe when they were heavily discounted at my LGS on Black Friday (he used to play the original a lot when he was younger) but gently caress it I'll teach him T&T. He plays Combat Commander so unless I'm vastly underestimating T&T's chrome he should be fine.

Trynant posted:

I think Devil's Cauldron + Where Eagles Dare, the market garden games of Grand Tactical Series might deserve mention for map size; I think combined you have a twenty fifteen foot stretch of map to figure out where the gently caress to play.

EDIT: And here's the pic. As you can see, they got some extra-large maps and then the game wants them oriented in the least table-friendly way possible.

holy poo poo

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 10, 2016

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

T-Bone posted:

Good god, at least it's supposed to be low complexity right? At least until your brain bursts from viewing too much of the board.

(as opposed to that OCS monster especially)

Speaking of operational ww2 games, I almost bought my dad Axis and Allies Pacific and Europe when they were heavily discounted at my LGS on Black Friday (he used to play the original a lot when he was younger) but gently caress it I'll teach him T&T. He plays Combat Commander so unless I'm vastly underestimating T&T's chrome he should be fine.

holy poo poo

I mean, it's a game about a 150km long road, modelled with 2.5cm hexes at 500m scale. 7.5m long is about what you'd expect. At least it's long and thin, so you'd actually be able to lean over and touch any piece on the board without help from some sort of stick. You probably can't say the same about GBII/CB. Also, tbpf, you can probably remvoe the Valkenswaard map after day 1 anyway.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 10, 2016

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
The East Front Series from GMT is an operational level set designed to be combined together to cover the whole ostfront.

Here it is, minus the Crimea box. They only got it up to early '42 IIRC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All of the flags and poo poo take it to a level I would be uncomfortable with personally. I'm down with some nerdy long rear end games but then I step into this guy's basement and do a comedic pivot on one heel.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My first thought was that they show admirable restraint by not having any swastika flags.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm also curious if any mega serious wargamers own cats or if there's a moratorium on the air conditioner or a ban on long sleeves. There are so many factors I can think of that end up with the counters scattered all over the place.

I saw one guy in the wild playing with tweezers to move his chits.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

I'm also curious if any mega serious wargamers own cats or if there's a moratorium on the air conditioner or a ban on long sleeves. There are so many factors I can think of that end up with the counters scattered all over the place.

I saw one guy in the wild playing with tweezers to move his chits.

Pretty common really.

And IC suction tweezers too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah, here's the tweezers I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RBAU74/

Got two of them in case I ever play one of my wargames with a second person (lol yeah right)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, here's the tweezers I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RBAU74/

Got two of them in case I ever play one of my wargames with a second person (lol yeah right)

Find history nerds, convert them to the true path of wargaming

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My method, find boardgame nerds, convert them to COIN games

Then fail to covert them to anything that looks like a hex or cardboard counter has touched it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

My method, find boardgame nerds, convert them to COIN games

Then fail to covert them to anything that looks like a hex or cardboard counter has touched it

This is me. This is my path. Went from normal boardgames to GMT card driven games to strategic war games. I had a serious aversion to hex and counter until I saw U.S. Civil War which is a strategic hex and counter. I can handle that.

Then my friend got me a copy of The Devil's Horsemen because we always complain about how it's WWII this and Punic Wars that. His fiance bought one of those Mongolian hats in China for us to wear while playing so that's my equivalent of creepy basement filled with flags.

The slope is steep and slippery.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I have War in Europe because.

In practical terms, it's impossible to play the campaign (with the maps side-by-side) because you can't reach the center.

I don't know how those guys are managing it. ^

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
People get far too bent out of shape over a little bit of nazi memorabilia. The british committed genocide in ww2 too and no one bitches about their flags. Just relax.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

People get far too bent out of shape over a little bit of nazi memorabilia. The british committed genocide in ww2 too and no one bitches about their flags. Just relax.

oh

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Your phone and clothes were made by child labor. Just relax.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

dtkozl posted:

lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No flag of Japan? No Fascist Italy flag? No Swastika flag?

4/10 and only because of good lighting and there's a great spot to put up a mannequin decked out in my fallschirmjager outfit personally signed by Otto Skorzeny, with matching Luger.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I was joking before but I do get a little sick of the virtue signalling you get with this hobby and like pc wargames. We are all ethically compromised already by this hobby, just accept it. I'm not excusing being a fascist, but having some swastikas flying about on some cardboard chits no more makes you a fascist than playing the german side of Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. Our elected officials are supporting real fascists. Those are the ones you should be worried about not some old white dude who'd biggest decision in life probably revolved around someone richer than him loving him over.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

dtkozl posted:

I was joking before but I do get a little sick of the virtue signalling you get with this hobby and like pc wargames. We are all ethically compromised already by this hobby, just accept it. I'm not excusing being a fascist, but having some swastikas flying about on some cardboard chits no more makes you a fascist than playing the german side of Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. Our elected officials are supporting real fascists. Those are the ones you should be worried about not some old white dude who'd biggest decision in life probably revolved around someone richer than him loving him over.

hmm yes you're right, now let me just make my IFT roll here...

Oh woops wrong dice, just let me grab my SS Memorial Dice here...

The totenkopf gives me good luck!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I don't have a problem with swastikas in historical context, like counters or maps or whatever, but SS comemerorative dice? errrrr

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 10, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"Rick, get this, I just sold over a hundred pairs of those weeb dice to old white dudes for 30$ a pop!"

"Lol"

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I guess when you boil it down I am saying "stop swastika shaming" which is a tad ridiculous sorry.

An old white guy flying an imperial japanese flag though is so ideologically ridiculous that it does wash out to meaning nothing. "So John Smith, you support Japanese ethnic superiority and believe the white race should be wiped out. Very progressive."

The waffen SS dice is weird but let's be fair, you can no more actually support the waffen ss anymore than I can support stalinist communism. Those decisions are as far out of our reach as supporting the crusades or the mongol invasions. History has moved on.

On the other hand you have John Kerry tweeting old ukrainian fascist slogans in support of real fascists performing real hate crimes right now and no one bats an eye.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 10, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dtkozl posted:

I guess when you boil it down I am saying "stop swastika shaming" which is a tad ridiculous sorry.

An old white guy flying an imperial japanese flag though is so ideologically ridiculous that it does wash out to meaning nothing. "So John Smith, you support Japanese ethnic superiority and believe the white race should be wiped out. Very progressive."

If he flies the Imperial Japanese Flag, does it crash into the nearest model ship whenever it gets the chance?

Also, what if he flies the flag ironically?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If he flies the Imperial Japanese Flag, does it crash into the nearest model ship whenever it gets the chance?

Also, what if he flies the flag ironically?

Irony has poisoned our minds to the point of imbecility.

I unironically want the entire Kido Butai that hit pearl harbor in model ships. When I leave and turn off the lights to the room they will come alive and fight against my models of the enterprise and lexington.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

The waffen SS dice is weird but let's be fair, you can no more actually support the waffen ss anymore than I can support stalinist communism. Those decisions are as far out of our reach as supporting the crusades or the mongol invasions. History has moved on.

On the other hand you have John Kerry tweeting old ukrainian fascist slogans in support of real fascists performing real hate crimes right now and no one bats an eye.

Except there are still real nazis who do harm to our society and those are the types that buy SS dice

Im against whitewashing history. Its very fulfilling to destroy those symbols.

I would not get as much satisfaction sinking pretend japanese ships if they WERENT flying the IJN flag

Bash the fash even in my hobbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dtkozl posted:

Your phone and clothes were made by child labor. Just relax.