Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i would argue they aren't griefing, the specific the poster i was replying to brought up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's right that invaders that avoid actually trying to kill you in favor of just sticking around in your world to bother you are just annoying. I dunno if I'd call that griefing though, griefing to me would be something like bringing in your dude who you hacked to one shot people and then do whatever the equivalent of 'well what is it' is in this game.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Sometimes that's all an invader can do and its never not funny to shoot a host off a ledge with a greatbow.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
My personal favorites are hiding inside the Crystal Sage in the Grand Archives and also sprinting ahead to the Gank Squad and waiting for them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

whatever the equivalent of 'well what is it' is in this game.

That's either "Welcome!" or dropping the Thank You/Very Good stone. Or both.

It's funny, until a buddy got a PS4 recently I never got too into doing Dark Souls co-op, was always a PvE guy, but now it's like the best thing ever when we get invaded and I'm using emotes all the time now, even playing by myself.

It's really great to just laugh in a boss's face after they're down or dance like an idiot for no reason.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Most of this is probably me being bad at the game but, I don't run into half of this poo poo doing invasions/getting invaded. I thought it could be connection problems but, I was getting a solid 25d/5u.

Arena trip report:

My character moves at DS2 speed while my opponent zips around like sonic the loving hedgehog.

Hit detection is ridiculously hosed up. Every other match I have an invincible roll spammer.

Phantom range fluctuates constantly. For the first 90s of the match the guy with the straight sword will have normal range but then all of a sudden it has washing pole range.

I don't understand why this stuff doesn't happen while I invade or get invaded but, it happens literally every match of arena.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If someone invades me and wants to duel, I'm down with that. I already have an HP advantage. I won't heal unless they do. If that happens then it's on like Donkey Kong and both parties should be ready for whatever kind of bullshit happens. Help victory is sweet in a fair contest but it's so much sweeter when you kill some rear end in a top hat invader in a no-holds-barred slugfest that go across half the level. I got invaded after the pontiff by two Alrich followers who made hit and run attacks together and went past enemies to heal. The one guy came back with five or so weapons total because he couldn't defeat my technique of "use perseverance and punch you in the face twelve times while you try to trade". Eventually I got the buddy caught in the bushes by the priests and whaled on him til he died. Meanwhile the weapon switcher came back over and over with throwing knives, bombs, all kinds of different poo poo. He never swung at me since I always won the trades, instead trying to draw me to the last two Silver Knights. Eventually I got tired of his poo poo and popped a seed, and watched him go sailing off a ledge with a great arrow in his back. Overall it was fun to clown on those guys and it would have been much more boring if we played "fair".

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Finally sat down and bothered to get the Dark Soul, been ignoring the Darkmoon Blade farm for a while. Wasn't too bad in the end, took about 2 hours of farming total. The character was already on NG+3 and so had the 6 free ones plus 10-12 or so from Darkmoon summons (I only had Darkmoon on occasionally on this character as well, so I guess I got lucky). I got a couple summons during the farm as well, although one of them bugged out and didn't give me my ear despite chumping the red.

After that I took the character into the Arena to mess around for a bit. This (https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/39303) is what my final build will be, although the charactr is only SL 200 right now, so I have less Atn/Str/Fth. I'm also using a Lightning Warpick instead of the Heavy Mace and don't have Lightning Blade. Arena matches are pretty instantaneous at SL 200 which is cool, I haven't tried with a character this high before (just recently started taking all my characters up past 142 which is the cap for SL 120 meta).

I haven't lost yet, although my opponents have been of dubious quality, dunno how many PvP tryhards bother going past 120-125. Still, the Lloyd's Shield Ring + reliable healing combo is really nasty, especially coupled with my high Vit and heavy armor. I easily win trades whether I'm using the Dragonslayer's Greataxe or the Warpick and then when they run I can heal up and if they don't run I can still make space with Lightning Storm. It's a lot of fun but a build like this really wouldn't work at much lower SL's (probably 160-ish is as low as you could go) since it has such high stat requirements.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Most of this is probably me being bad at the game but, I don't run into half of this poo poo doing invasions/getting invaded. I thought it could be connection problems but, I was getting a solid 25d/5u.

Arena trip report:

My character moves at DS2 speed while my opponent zips around like sonic the loving hedgehog.

Hit detection is ridiculously hosed up. Every other match I have an invincible roll spammer.

Phantom range fluctuates constantly. For the first 90s of the match the guy with the straight sword will have normal range but then all of a sudden it has washing pole range.

I don't understand why this stuff doesn't happen while I invade or get invaded but, it happens literally every match of arena.

Phantom range is weird, but it should be consistent. A good rule about phantom range is that it's dangerous to back away from an opponent, but safer than you think to close the distance. Maybe you're getting more defensive as the match goes on, and start backing away instead of advancing? :shrug:

This video is really good at explaining dark souls latency - anyone doing the slightest bit of pvp should watch this to avoid the frustration of phantom range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMwkk8r6D0

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm walking around and a guy jumps out and ganks me, that's poo poo but whatever. The dudes that just hide back and toss dung pies at you or wait until you're crossing a narrow ledge and try knocking you off with arrows, that I find annoying. To me griefing is an invasion where the main goal is to waste my time/make it difficult for me instead of killing me quickly. I understand it's a big part of the game but I don't find it fun, at all.

Like I said, I'll wind up playing it one way or another, it just dictates how much I'm willing to spend on it.

Yeah, uh, that's not griefing. That's invading as intended. The invader has no obligation to run straight at you. That would be dumb.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm not sure why complaining about invasions is a thing. Why not just play offline, the option is right there? You can still go back online for summons whenever you want, unless you really really want to read pointless messages on the floor.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Double Bill posted:

I'm not sure why complaining about invasions is a thing. Why not just play offline, the option is right there? You can still go back online for summons whenever you want, unless you really really want to read pointless messages on the floor.

I think people will stop complaining about invaders right about the time invaders stop complaining about "gank squads".

In other words, never.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

A MIRACLE posted:

You can't backstab with them, can you?

you can backstab with every weapon I thought.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I don't think whips can riposte or backstab. There's probably a few other fringe cases.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Hello friends, I am poo poo at dark souls please help.

Basically i'm after a build I can use where I don't gimp myself completely, there is a plethora of information out there but I have no idea how current any of it is or what to trust. I mostly PvE with my mate because I am terrible and it is fun. I am currently playing as a sorcerer but with a shield and sword for melee fun as well. I guess my main thing is not wanting to infuse the wrong weapon and waste those materials. Also fashion souls is fairly important to me so the stupider looking gear the better (i'm currently in that pope set) but on the other hand I need all the help from stats I can get in this accursed game. I'm about sl50ish at the moment and that doggy on the bridge to disneyland is really pushing my poo poo in! Any advice welcome (apart from killing myself, already got that down)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has there been any word at all about the next dlc?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Only that it exists, more or less.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squido posted:

I can do a longer post in a few hours when I get home but the short version is level Vigor and Endurance to at least 20 each right away (maybe 25 Vig), use a Raw or Fire infused weapon early on until you have decided your build and started leveling damage stats, and wear whatever you want as long as you are wearing something in every slot and are under 70% equip load.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm walking around and a guy jumps out and ganks me, that's poo poo but whatever. The dudes that just hide back and toss dung pies at you or wait until you're crossing a narrow ledge and try knocking you off with arrows, that I find annoying. To me griefing is an invasion where the main goal is to waste my time/make it difficult for me instead of killing me quickly. I understand it's a big part of the game but I don't find it fun, at all.

Like I said, I'll wind up playing it one way or another, it just dictates how much I'm willing to spend on it.

Thats not griefing, its part of the game. Esp in DS3 when every loving invasion is a 3v1 10min long shitfest.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Never liked DS3 invasions that much due to the constant 1vx nature, but they seem to be a lot more manageable as a purple.

Often times the host even lets me and the other phantoms fight to the death ourselves.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Squido posted:

It's pretty difficult to do anything that would make matters exceptionally terrible, so I wouldn't stress over that too much. While mechanical stuff can help (the most important thing is being under 70% load, in addition to what else has been suggested) the biggest piece of advice I would give is to slow down when you play, and to experiment with tactics. The bridge dog is certainly a challenge for specific builds, but if you pay attention to his attack patterns you will learn what you can and can't get away with. The other part of slowing down is to not overcommit yourself to a opening presented by an enemy; One weird consequence of how this game plays is players who tend to die a lot tend to be more inclined to risk those openings due to a fear of screwing up later and dying. Avoid this temptation, if at all possible! Practicing patience will in the long run help you play better. I may or may not need to take a lot of this advice myself.

you can, in that particular case, just keep running and ignore the dog if you want to move on, as you should be able to get past him that way without trouble

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The croco dogs are one of the hardest enemies in the game for me. My trick for beating them is to bait them into jumping attacking you by aggroing them from maximum distance possible. That leaves their head vulnerable - if you damage their head enough you can riposte them.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
When the crocodogs do this :suicide: roll forward once and besides that attack just circle strafe to the right and you'll never be hit. It teaches a valuable lesson in stamina management and keeping cool under pressure.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Smol posted:

The croco dogs are one of the hardest enemies in the game for me. My trick for beating them is to bait them into jumping attacking you by aggroing them from maximum distance possible. That leaves their head vulnerable - if you damage their head enough you can riposte them.

They're REALLY weak to bleed.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ta for the advice fellas. It is a very frustrating game in that you generally have always got over confident or hosed up in some way to lead to your death and you feel mad at yourself for being a fool. I guess that is why it is great.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

They're REALLY weak to bleed.

So is everything in the dlc except for the main boss, if anyone's still having trouble with the other big four legged poo poo

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

So is everything in the dlc except for the main boss, if anyone's still having trouble with the other big four legged poo poo

Even the main boss is weak to bleed (both of em). Bleed and fire are super strong in the DLC, most enemies are extremely weak to both of them and I don't think anything resists them (maybe the flies resist bleed but lol). Fire also has the useful side effect of causing the Witchtrees to catch fire and flail about for a while, it can be very useful to bop them with a torch or pyro glove even if you don't have a fire/chaos weapon.

Squido posted:

Ta for the advice fellas. It is a very frustrating game in that you generally have always got over confident or hosed up in some way to lead to your death and you feel mad at yourself for being a fool. I guess that is why it is great.

I'm back now so I'll post some more technical advice based on what you said about your build. If you want to play as a Sorceror (that has a focus on spells but can still bop things in melee), here's a generic but effective template to do that: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/125037 That build is just something very simple and effective to aim for by the end of the game. It will be able to kill anything in the game and doesn't rely on anything too weird or out of the way. The hardest things to find are the rings and maybe some of the spells but you can replace the damaging spells with the "lesser" versions (which are not worse, just different, less damage for less stamina/fp cost) and the Sage Ring/Ring of Favor are not essential. I would recommend looking up where to get the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring however since it's extremely good for a Sorceror build (it's in Irithyll Dungeon if you just want a quick tip).

When leveling, get your minimum requirements set first, which should be something like Vig: 20, Atn: 18, End: 16-20, Str: 12, and Int:30. Once you have those bases covered, just level what you feel the need for. Dying too easily? Get more Vig and End. Feel like your damage is low? Get more Int. The build I posted is a good target but if you want to move things around (or already have different stats leveled) I can help you figure out the best way forward, just post in here.

Hidden Body and Spook are extremely powerful in PvE and can be used to trivially bypass or defeat almost any encounter. Combined they make you nearly impossible for mobs to detect and even if they do detect you they will de-aggro quickly if you create even a little distance. This lets you easily backstab them or shoot them with spells. Use them whenever there's a hard encounter you are having trouble dealing with conventionally. Great Soul Arrow (or Great Heavy Soul Arrow, your choice really, the regular versions are just fine as well) are good for dealing with tougher enemies and are a safe way to damage most bosses (particularly if you have a phantom to distract them). The Longsword gets solid Int scaling when it's Crystal infused and will be your go-to tool for dealing with mooks, while the Dagger will give you great backstab damage for use with Hidden Body+Spook. If you want, you can instead use a Raw Longsword (or other straight sword) and use Magic Weapon (whichever version you have) to buff it, however I prefer to not have to rely on buff spells in PvE since maintaining them can be a hassle.

That should give you a simple, straightforward build to base off of so that you can focus on playing and enjoying the game. It has a wide variety of tools for getting past situations that might otherwise be frustrating.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I wish, instead of invaders complaining about gank squads, they'd just join the Mound Makers. Or stop following the meta. But yeah it will never stop ever.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Stokes posted:

I wish, instead of invaders complaining about gank squads, they'd just join the Mound Makers. Or stop following the meta. But yeah it will never stop ever.

The channel I linked earlier (saint_riot on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCDkeh30ZpOrazSqZ9_RCFog) shows how fun invasions in DS3 can be, even when faced with gank squads. Messing around with it myself, I understand where people's frustration comes from but I honestly think invading is the best it has ever been, which is probably going to cause people to shriek with rage but I'll explain my position anyways.

I don't think how DS3 does things is perfect (it's too simple to resummon phantoms constantly or to just run to the fog gate) but I think it provides a much more balanced approach to invading. You get access to Cracked Red Eye Orbs almost immediately and then you are given a full Red Eye Orb soon thereafter, whereas in previous games it was much more of a hassle to invade regularly. In DS1 you couldn't even talk to Kaathe before killing the Four Kings and in DS2 there were only Cracked Red Eye Orbs and you had to either farm them off mobs or win arena duels to get them after you used the limited ones available. Dark Souls 3 makes it easy to be an invader and removes almost all consequences for doing so (no Indictments, no Blue Cop invasions, etc). The worst that can happen to you is your souls are dropped where you died if you lose an invasion but just don't invade with souls you care about losing and there is literally only upside to invading.

In exchange for making invading very accessible, DS3 gives hosts more tools to deal with invaders. This is how it should be. In every Souls game, when you invade you have a lot of advantages: the level is on your side, you are ready to engage in pvp (this is huge and no one seems to talk about it), there's no time pressure on you, and you have nothing to lose. DS3 gives the hosts some ability to remove some of these advantages (Seeds, Way of Blue) and some advantages of their own (Phantoms, increased HP and Estus), but the initiative still resides with the invader. You are choosing to go out and invade, whereas the host may or may not be ready to be invaded.

Another great aspect of DS3 is that hosts can choose their level of PvP participation by playing unembered, playing embered and taking their knocks, playing embered with a Finger active if they really want the Real Dark Souls Experience, or using phantoms with some combination of the previous. All of that is honestly way better than the previous implementations of invasions.

What I feel causes 99% of the complaining is gank squads (real or perceived*). Yes, I understand getting shrekt by 3 people and then getting a bunch of Point Down and Stalk Dung Bombs sucks. However there are lots of ways to deal with it. Most gankers suck (or else they wouldn't be ganking) and it's very possible to kill one or two of the phantoms and then their "gank" becomes a liability since they have crazy high invasion priority and are going to be sucking in every available invader in the area. On top of that, the most popular gank spots happen to also be where the Covenant invasions are possible, so there are even more potential allies (or distractions at worst). Ganking leads people to be crazy overconfident and I've seen more phantoms (who are also unembered, remember) than I can count run straight into a red with an UGS who proceeds to two-shot both of them. Obscuring Ring shenanigans are also very possible, a gank squad is going to be sucking in a ton of invaders and are eventually going to get worn down, particularly if you are helping things along with a greatbow from off in the distance. Finally, if you can't handle the squad (which is definitely possible if they are actually good, they've got a major advantage), just...Black Crystal out. All you lost was a bit of your time, which is a fair trade since what you are literally trying to do as an invader is kill a host and reset their progress through the level, aka waste their time. Boo hoo if a bit of your own time is wasted in the process.

I really think that outside of lag issues (which are at the root of 99% of my problems with DS3 PvP, it's really a game that desperately cries out for dedicated servers as far as PvP is concerned), the invasion PvP is the best it's ever been and it's sad to hear people constantly whining about it.

*In my experience a lot of "gank squads" are simply someone going through a level with several phantoms without specific intent to gank anyone. A real gank squad is a host with max phantoms and maybe even a friendly red who is using Way of Blue, has Seeded and/or cleared out the level, and they are just sitting around waiting for invaders to show up.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Stokes posted:

Just kill them. No one will get a 100% kill rate for handling gank squads but, its worth trying and not worth whining about. I probably have a ~40% success rate handling gank squads just because more often than not they get over confident and over extend themselves. In anor londo specifically there are several places you can split them up with if you have the cat ring. If they seed it up kill the enemies because it will ruin their seed and enable other invaders to help with the ganksquad.

E:

AttackBacon posted:

I really think that outside of lag issues (which are at the root of 99% of my problems with DS3 PvP, it's really a game that desperately cries out for dedicated servers as far as PvP is concerned), the invasion PvP is the best it's ever been and it's sad to hear people constantly whining about it.

This 100%, I can handle losing to people when its just us but, dieing to some latency or hosed up net code one to many times is what makes me shut the game off for a break.

I think that's why I prefer sorcery for this game. Latency doesn't seem to matter for decently aimed spells.

Wizard

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 10, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I'm level 28 and I have a raw Astora's Sword +3. How is it possible that a red spirit was taking 50 damage from my R1 attacks? Cheating? The armor looked like Elite Knight (I forget if DS3 has it by this name).

Smol fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 10, 2016

Squido
May 21, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

That should give you a simple, straightforward build to base off of so that you can focus on playing and enjoying the game.

Just what I was after, cheers matey.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is Oceiros affected by slumbering dragoncrest ring? You know, because no eyes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Smol posted:

I'm level 28 and I have a raw Astora's Sword +3. How is it possible that a red spirit was taking 50 damage from my R1 attacks? Cheating? The armor looked like Elite Knight (I forget if DS3 has it by this name).

With iron hide buff i guess he could take reduced damage. Ive seen some low level invaders wear the heaviest end game armor so they take no damage against early game hosts.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

AlternateNu posted:

Is Oceiros affected by slumbering dragoncrest ring? You know, because no eyes.

Give the player the ability to exploit a boss's obvious disability? That's just crazy talk. This is a game about ROLLING, not logic!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hey, that worked on Demon's Souls at least where you could "hide" from Old Hero.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Guillermus posted:

Hey, that worked on Demon's Souls at least where you could "hide" from Old Hero.

Oh I know. :sigh:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Iretep posted:

With iron hide buff i guess he could take reduced damage. Ive seen some low level invaders wear the heaviest end game armor so they take no damage against early game hosts.

He was rolling normally, so I don't think it was iron flesh.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Smol posted:

He was rolling normally, so I don't think it was iron flesh.

I've ran into people like this too, taking 20-50 damage from my weapons that have 200-300 AR. I guess MAYBE it's possible they're several NGs deep and just have incredible VIT min-maxing and Steel Protection +2 or something, but odds are they're cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Low soul level runs to ng+ to crush ng guys in invasions was a thing in dark souls