Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
My various fleets are coming together, with my usual incredibly slow rate of painting.

Anyone seen any decent looking but fairly uncomplicated PHR schemes?
Still a bit undecided on how to do mine.

Sojenus posted:

There's also just me trying to figure out how to smooth down the plastic left over after clipping.

Try shaving down the more obvious bits with a knife, then sand paper to finish.

You can pretty much tell the order I made my PHR in by looking at how obvious the sprue connectors are...

Frobbe posted:

) And because of this, i sought out the facebook group for dropfleet commander. Holy poo poo the anger issues amongst the kickstarter backers! it's so bad they made a seperate group just for those people and it's not even enough to contain their rage.

It's absolutely ludicrous. I can understand the frustration at not getting stuff yet, but the vitriol, conspiracy theories and hyperbole are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, a year and a week after they took my money, my poo poo finally arrived last night. So, woo I guess? Now I just need to go through the rules enough to be able to grasp which ships I want to make out of the pounds of sprues laying on my table.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Valatar posted:

Well, a year and a week after they took my money, my poo poo finally arrived last night. So, woo I guess? Now I just need to go through the rules enough to be able to grasp which ships I want to make out of the pounds of sprues laying on my table.

I haven't heard back yet from my last email. Apparently they're down to 140 orders left to ship. My commander pledge is hopefully part of that 140...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Building my New York this weekend. Entire kit looks easy to magnetise but I want two so I'll get magnetising the Beijing and Tokyo imo.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Decided to whip up some corvettes from my starter fleet spares

the rightmost one is the fully assembled version, the other two are just lacking bits that i'll get with the second starter i'll get sometime during christmas. The frigate is for size comparison.

I need more bits...

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ohhh yeah, me and my buddy are one of the last 140. Feels good man. I know other people in Canada who've recieved theirs we're just unlucky.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No sign my my pledge yet either. I mailed them a while ago and it got exported from the KS database correctly, it's just not shipped yet. I'm starting to get cold feet too, i registered to give demos at a big regional convention in February. If my pledge does not arrive next week i'll be in Canada for three weeks and it'll likely get sent back after sitting at the post office for seven days. With the hassle of getting it shipped again i expect to have it by mid January...

Had i known this i would have used the extra starter fleet i got at the Spiel to just make the normal starter ships. Instead i have a troop ship and two light cruisers at the moment.

In happier news, i sprayed some frigates today:

The frigates turrets are the only parts that i'm really annoyed with, it was easier to mill completely new muzzle parts than clean up the drat sprue connection on the muzzle of the center barrel.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I got my shipping notification yesterday, so I know they are still working through things. Also drat Bistro, you are a handy person. Those re-milled turrets look great.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have 18 frigate's armor base coated! 2 are in Super Clean and will get fixed up when i paint my cruisers.

I went with a naval grey for the armor and abandoned the camo. All it did was make the model seem flat.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 10, 2016

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Space whales!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I watched Hawk's latest video on Beasts of War, which is I think a genuine attempt at a mea culpa for the shipping delays, and came to a rather sour conclusion. I've met Hawk Dave at conventions and his aristocratic manner is unmistakable; just listen to his accent.

But with that comes a decided issue with taking criticism. He is maintaining a polite air of untouchability that really isn't helping calm the remaining angry backers. He's clearly not used to being asked to justify his decisions, regardless of how good in the long term those decisions might have been, and it shows. It shows painfully.

Simon was a lot better at this, as one would expect for a comms guy. I'm really glad they're talking about having a new one starting, because I'm starting to think Dave really shouldn't be in front of a camera.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

best thing to do for simon is to throw things at him imo, then send him trolly e-mails.

Building my New York tonight, this kit is loving gorgeous. Fair play the quality is stunning.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Flipswitch posted:

best thing to do for simon is to throw things at him imo, then send him trolly e-mails.

Building my New York tonight, this kit is loving gorgeous. Fair play the quality is stunning.

I got a great rise from Simon at Warfare last year by saying "You're mainly just the PR guy."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Quick question, how easy is it really to magnetise all this DFC stuff? I've tried magnets in a few minis here and there, but I tend to make a hash of it with off centre drilling, magnets not lining up, holes either too deep or too shallow, magnets unevenly set, and it ends up looking ugly and barely working; the only things I've ever done right are 15mm tanks, because the magnet holes are sculpted into the sprues, and a KoW Ogre, because it's a big hunk of solid PVC with a comparatively huge area to work with, and hence room for error.

If it's going to take any kind of precision work I think I'm just not going to bother.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Honestly I think Battleships are the ones worth doing. You need a hefty amount of frigates and a decent amount of cruisers anyway so magnetising them is a lot of work. That said they're straight forward to do but I'm poo poo at magnetising models so I didn't bother.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The PHR cruiser hangar parts are damned skinny so I decided to just glue them in and buy a few more ships later.

Best idea I have seen is to glue two broadsides together and put a magnet in the middle of that. Not sure how firmly it attaches but it looks like a good idea.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I've got PHR and UCM and I've been magnetizing all of it except for strike carriers since the idea of being locked into particular classes and having to buy more or pretend they're different types is anathema to me.

PHR frigates are simple, cruisers are tedious but work fine, UCM frigates don't even need magnets, and UCM cruisers are straightforward except for their top. It somewhat snaps into place but there's a gap, and the regular cruiser top seems too thin to drill into. Might drill deeper into the main hull and glue magnets directly to the surface of the top piece?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Scourge has the same deal that tyranids have, nobody knows what you're fielding so just call it whatever!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
UCM cruisers are easy and worth magnetizing. Frigates im not bothering with because I just have so many. I'm committed to magnatizing the scourge as well, but in truth everyone other than the UCM is probably more trouble than its worth.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

One nice thing about magnetizing the UCM cruisers is that there are different difficulty levels depending on what you want and how hardcore you are.

The easy mode? Glue your different heavy, medium, and light cruiser hulls as you like. Then magnetize the weapon mounts and weapons, so you can swap payloads. The mass drivers, burn through lasers, troop compartments, and bombardment cannons all can be swapped out on the same mounts with a pair of magnets. That will let you swap between both light cruisers, between both heavy cruisers, and between all but one of the regular cruisers (the exception would be the carrier, which has launch bays on the upper hull).

The next step up would be to glue the heavy and regular cruiser hulls, and magnetize guns, but leave the upper wings on the regular cruisers unglued, and magnetize the upper wing halves. It's a pretty snug fit so you might be able to just friction fit the upper wings. That gets you all the prior options plus you can swap between all cruisers and light cruisers fairly easily. Magnetizing the upper wings probably isn't too bad because there are some larger chunks of plastic on those that you can drill if you are careful.

Harder would be magnetizing the upper hull to swap between cruiser and heavy cruiser. That's a very thin piece of plastic.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ha, Miniature Mart restocked the battleships today and then in a few hours most of them are out of stock.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I grabbed 2 PHR battleships and some launch assets from them today.

I'm part of the problem.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SPACE SQUIDS!

I almost don't want to add additional paint to these beasts, even though they're only primer, basecoat and wash so far!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That purple is sexy Frobbe, how did you manage that again?

I have 8 unbuilt Frigates,

currently I have:
4x Toulon
4x Taipei
4x New Orleans
2x Lima
2x Jakarta

Thinking of building another
2x Taipei,
2x New Orleans
2x Jakarta

Leaving me two spares, any ideas what to do with it? or I could build 1x Jakarta, 1x Lima and another two Toulons.

Also gently caress playing vs an 8 Gargoyle list!!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arcturas posted:

One nice thing about magnetizing the UCM cruisers is that there are different difficulty levels depending on what you want and how hardcore you are.

The easy mode? Glue your different heavy, medium, and light cruiser hulls as you like. Then magnetize the weapon mounts and weapons, so you can swap payloads. The mass drivers, burn through lasers, troop compartments, and bombardment cannons all can be swapped out on the same mounts with a pair of magnets. That will let you swap between both light cruisers, between both heavy cruisers, and between all but one of the regular cruisers (the exception would be the carrier, which has launch bays on the upper hull).

This sounds like my kind of plan for UCM, I'm pretty sure I can do that without loving it up. I guess things aren't quite so easy with the others?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Flipswitch posted:

That purple is sexy Frobbe, how did you manage that again?

Black primer (Vallejo) followed by Citadel Ironbreaker air, then washed carefully with Citadel Druchii purple, and Drakenhof nightshade on the blue parts. Laziest scheme ever but it looks so fantastic.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Frobbe posted:

Black primer (Vallejo) followed by Citadel Ironbreaker air, then washed carefully with Citadel Druchii purple, and Drakenhof nightshade on the blue parts. Laziest scheme ever but it looks so fantastic.

If you're airbrushing try Vallejo Air Steel, it's awesome for mixing colored metallics.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Curious how that would look with the ScaleColor Alchemy paints, those things are magic in a bottle. Looks great though man! keep it up. :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Pierzak posted:

If you're airbrushing try Vallejo Air Steel, it's awesome for mixing colored metallics.

i did think about mixing the metallics with the colour i wanted, but i felt like i wouldn't get the shadows i also wanted by using a wash. Plus an airbrush isn't that great for painting within the lines! :p

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Frobbe posted:

i did think about mixing the metallics with the colour i wanted, but i felt like i wouldn't get the shadows i also wanted by using a wash.
I still use washes with those, it just gives a deeper color to the metal.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I might be moving to a different country within the next month or so. And still no news about my pledge :(

Goddamnit.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Frobbe posted:

I don something similar with Metal Air Dull Aluminum and Army Painter Purple and Blue Tone inks.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
And talking of the Scourge...

I like it!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty sure I will always refer to them as "the Scourge corvette" to avoid unfortunate mispronunciations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure I will always refer to them as "the Scourge corvette" to avoid unfortunate mispronunciations.

Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Scourge ship classes should all have reporting names like the kaiju in Pacific Rim

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

Scourge ship classes should all have reporting names like the kaiju in Pacific Rim

They do, that's their names.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
found this gem while looking at the post about the Scourge Nickar

Dude's very angry about plastic spaceships and he wants the truth, damnit!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Does he not grasp that it takes time to courier stuff from place to place or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Flipswitch posted:

Does he not grasp that it takes time to courier stuff from place to place or something?

Never let reality deter you from shitposting on social media.