Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

zen death robot posted:

mine does and they're based in israel

SA is based in israel? wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i've never worked in a place that gave christmas bonuses. lol

my annual bonus has always been paid out in the spring, after 4q results are in

"christmas bonuses" were never more than, like, a hundred bucks on a gift card

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

zen death robot posted:

lol, which malware company do you work for?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

zen death robot posted:

can a guy get in on those Chanukah bonuses

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

anthonypants posted:

apparently google's employee gifts this year aren't a new pixel whatever but instead the gifts are going to charity
http://fortune.com/2016/12/09/alphabet-donated-its-employees-holiday-gifts-to-charity/

Fortune posted:

Theyre used to getting fancy new gadgets.

The employee perks at Google are legendary, and theyve always included an over-the-top holiday gift for every employee. In the past, the company has surprised its 70,000 employees with Nexus phones, Android smartwatches, and Chromebooks.

This year employees speculated they might get Googles new Pixel phones or a Google Home unit, the companys competitor to Amazons Echo. But they forgot: They dont work for Google anymore. They work for Alphabet. Instead of a shiny new gadget, Alphabet employees got an email.

On Thursday Bloomberg published a bruising story about the new, cost-conscious regime of Alphabet, driven by its corporate re-organization and its ex-Wall Street CFO, Ruth Porat. Shortly after the story hit, employees were informed that their holiday gift this year was a donation to charity, Fortune has learned. Alphabet donated $30 million worth of Chromebooks, phones, and associated tech support to schools on its employees behalf.

Alphabet likely would have spent around the same amount of money on its holiday gifts, so its not exactly a cost-saving move. But the decision signals a shift in culture for the company, from perks run amok to responsible corporate citizen. An Alphabet spokeswoman declined to comment.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

dumping e-waste on the public. what a way to show corporate citizin responsibility 😡😡😡😡😡

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
corporate citizin is a scary phrase

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
my bonus is I get a traditional pension

and I plan to live to 106, mostly out of spite

ufarn
May 30, 2009
giving their employees a pixel would be an act of charity

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
lol at anyone who doesn't think its only so they can write off the charitable donations which they can't do on employee gifts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

giving their employees a pixel would be an act of charity

if my employer gave me a pixel for Christmas I'd be interviewing before New Years

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

my bonus is I get a traditional pension

and I plan to live to 106, mostly out of spite

lol as if it won't be cut right after you retire

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

lol at anyone who doesn't think its only so they can write off the charitable donations which they can't do on employee gifts

employee compensation, including bonuses, is fully deductible.

this is just google trying to break their employees' expectation of bonuses in a way that makes anyone who complains look like an rear end in a top hat.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

corporate taxes don't work that way.

Shifty Pony posted:

this is just google trying to break their employees' expectation of bonuses in a way that makes anyone who complains look like an rear end in a top hat.

this, plus a donation to education is usually part of a plan to get the school district hooked on their hardware and software, driving future revenue. so it's not exactly charity.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

corporate taxes don't work that way.

this, plus a donation to education is usually part of a plan to get the school district hooked on their hardware and software, driving future revenue. so it's not exactly charity.

charity without all that pesky selflessness

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

zen death robot posted:

same, weirdly

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

it would have been better to give employees a couple of charity choices to make it feel more individualistic and to give employees some agency but google sorry alphabet lacks the sort of empathy it'd take for that to occur to them

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bhodi posted:

it would have been better to give employees a couple of charity choices to make it feel more individualistic and to give employees some agency but google sorry alphabet lacks the sort of empathy it'd take for that to occur to them

oh I'm sure it occurred to them but it was nixed in favor of strategic donations to get the the highest ecosystem lock-in in return for the donations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google sucks

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I heard there's also different tax implications if employees get to choose the charity

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol all my co-workers are legit pissy about it. hell i remember when it used to be a thousand in cash :corsair:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol all my co-workers are legit pissy about it. hell i remember when it used to be a thousand in cash :corsair:

they should be pissed. paying a thousand bucks to employees making six figures should be nothing to the company and yet it makes everyone feel disproportionately happy for what is essentially a sub 1% bonus.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah but these are google employees. they are absolutely the type of assholes who will get mad at google over this. the type of person who already has the latest pixel but they wanted a second one and they're mad.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
you aren't weren't allowed to sell your gift device so i used it one year for yosmas.

one year we got some lovely lg surplus gen 1.0 android smartwatch. people will get over it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i think our christmas gifts at work were chromecasts one year and that's been it, but at least the chromecast has found decent use at home.

The Management posted:

they should be pissed. paying a thousand bucks to employees making six figures should be nothing to the company and yet it makes everyone feel disproportionately happy for what is essentially a sub 1% bonus.

also this. it's one of those psychology things where you make people feel appreciated so they hate working for you a little less.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol my last job was at a boring corporate hellhole and I got at least 20% bonus every year

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

and to make it a surprise too.

whoever okay-ed this move probably watches Christmas Vacation and thinks the boss was being overly generous by giving Clark an entire year of the Jelly of the Month Club.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

lol my last job was at a boring corporate hellhole and I got at least 20% bonus every year

the gift is a totally separate thing from the yearly bonus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i've never worked in a place that gave christmas bonuses. lol

i usually get a xmas bonus from one of my bosses personal acct and i give bonues to my direct reports out of my personal account. hosed up i guess.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ArmZ posted:

lol as if it won't be cut right after you retire

I'm actually in a private union and not a public one so I will be OK no matter how many scott walkers become governor

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol the holidays are barely acknowledged by upper mgmt

which is fine as long as they don't mind us all taking all our vacation at the end of the year

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
my username should have been "Six Figgy Bonus"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

carry on then posted:

lol the holidays are barely acknowledged by upper mgmt

which is fine as long as they don't mind us all taking all our vacation at the end of the year

The Indian guys at work, onshore and off, take vacations that exceed a month sometimes and it makes management seethe and fume. Lol

American workers could learn a lot from how Indians handle vacation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Indian guys at work, onshore and off, take vacations that exceed a month sometimes and it makes management seethe and fume. Lol

American workers could learn a lot from how Indians handle vacation.
americans learned about the siesta and now everyone thinks hispanic people are lazy

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
a months vacation (or more) per year is standard for indians, no matter where we are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

yeah but these are google employees. they are absolutely the type of assholes who will get mad at google over this. the type of person who already has the latest pixel but they wanted a second one and they're mad.

you wouldn't be mad about your pay being reduced by $500 next year?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

you wouldn't be mad about your pay being reduced by $500 next year?
lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dodoman posted:

a months vacation (or more) per year is standard for indians, no matter where we are.

One guy went back to Visakhapatnam for a two week vacation and his manager yelled at him for taking two weeks off, so he used all his banked vacation and spent six weeks there instead. Lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

One guy went back to Visakhapatnam for a two week vacation and his manager yelled at him for taking two weeks off, so he used all his banked vacation and spent six weeks there instead. Lol

lol. i'd probably have done the same thing but stayed in the US after the inital two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
an Indian wedding takes like 3 weeks and they probably have a lot of cousins

• Locked thread