Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yes I have. Mainly in the e.d or in critical situations such as flight and the patient begins to go down the shitter.

Is it gonna happen most everywhere else? Nah... Is it smart to know how? Yes... Nothing's worse than loving up a med when you can't do simplistic math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

djfooboo posted:

My favorite drip rate is wide open.

I hope that's an answer choice on the HESI.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Retaking the NCLEX RN tomorrow afternoon. Been using UWorld for the last 3 months everyday and finished all 1900+ questions in the bank in the 91st percentile.

I'm still worried though, any last minute advice guys? This is my 3rd attempt.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Risky posted:

Retaking the NCLEX RN tomorrow afternoon. Been using UWorld for the last 3 months everyday and finished all 1900+ questions in the bank in the 91st percentile.

I'm still worried though, any last minute advice guys? This is my 3rd attempt.

At this point you've studied all you can. Have confidence in your preparation, and find something to do that will calm your nerves before the test.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 22, 2016

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Youre gonna be fine

Risky
May 18, 2003

MurderBot posted:

Youre gonna be fine

This means I passed right? Cut off at 76 questions

Risky fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Risky posted:

This means I passed right? Cut off at 76 questions

Good job posting your full name.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Risky
May 18, 2003

Roki B posted:

Good job posting your full name.

I'm still in a state of shock give me a break :P

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Was his name Smitty Werben Man Jensen?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annath posted:

Was his name Smitty Werben Man Jensen?

Floyd Nightingale.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Congrats Floyd.

Speaking of: I'm preparing to take the NCLEX as I posted a bit ago. I've been trying to read through the Saunders review book, but it just doesnt stick. I signed up for a Kaplan course that I can still hopefully cancel. Tell me if this is a dumb plan, instead of reading the Saunders book and taking kaplan: Just get uWorld and Kaplan's QBank and do a million practice questions in addition to the Saunders questions? I feel like I learn the content better that way anyway. Saunders is pretty basic and quick but it's also kind of daunting to learn the entirety of nursing information in the next 6 weeks. So I just stare at the pages and don't seem to retain much, although I do seem to be doing well on the chapter quizzes. I usually score about 60-70% on their online tests too. Any advice would be most helpful, I'm ready to pull the trigger on 2 month packages on uWorld and Kaplan's QBank in the next day or two, so I appreciate it!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Just take the test

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Personally I enjoyed the Kaplan video modules and the Q bank, but if you're actually bored/not learning anything form them do what Roki B says and just take the test.

People seem to fail the test because they psych themselves out. I refuse to believe that anyone actually fails this test because they honestly don't know the answers. They either think so much into the test and choose wrong answers because of *said reason* or they just are afraid and choose on the fly for whatever may sound appropriate but not correct...

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
If I could take it tomorrow I would, but I gotta wait. I know part of it is me psyching myself out. I think I'm just going to do a bunch of practice questions and shore up weak areas/review with Saunders. Gonna call Kaplan tomorrow to get $350 back.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Take at least three days of from studying before the test. Sex and steak will put you in the right mind to pass.

Again, just go do it.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

If I could take it tomorrow I would, but I gotta wait. I know part of it is me psyching myself out. I think I'm just going to do a bunch of practice questions and shore up weak areas/review with Saunders. Gonna call Kaplan tomorrow to get $350 back.

Just get Uworld. That's all you need. Do 50-75 questions a day in 10-15 question increments then go over all the rationales and repeat. Finish the whole qbank then grab the NCLEX by the pussy.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, gently caress Kaplan. I called, and I'm only eligible for a 75% refund. We were sold in person by the rep on a full refund as long as we didnt access our materials. The guy on the phone was good, I applaud him, and didn't budge so I have to give him credit. A manager will be calling me back, because even according to their refund policy I should be eligible for 100%. Fuckers. Anyway, I'm gonna get uWorld for a month and basically do what you said Risky. If I feel I need more practice I'll grab Kaplan's Qbank for a month after that.

Edit: spoke with a manager, refunded within 1 minute of talking to her. Thats nice! Now to purchase uWorld.

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 23, 2016

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Sorry for the double post, but hot drat, I just got an email from the residency I applied to and they want to interview me! In 8 days. My biggest concern is getting accepted and not being able to get licensed in time. I'll still probably take my NCLEX in AZ, because it's a long shot to get this anyway, and I don't want to shoot my AZ prospects in the foot either. I emailed the coordinator back to ask if she had any advice, so hopefully they've had some experience with this situation. I should be able to test by the end of the year, AZ processes licenses within like 1-3 weeks, and then I could turn around and endorse in IL, but the program starts in February so it seems like it may just be logistically impossible. I suppose I could always ask to be considered for their summer cohort as well to give me a few extra months to get it all lined up. Any advice would be super helpful!

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 16, 2017

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Iron Lung posted:

Sorry for the double post, but hot drat, I just got an email from the residency I applied to in Chicago and they want to interview me! In 8 days. My biggest concern is getting accepted and not being able to get licensed in time. I'll still probably take my NCLEX in AZ, because it's a long shot to get this anyway, and I don't want to shoot my AZ prospects in the foot either. I emailed the coordinator back to ask if she had any advice, so hopefully they've had some experience with this situation. I should be able to test by the end of the year, AZ processes licenses within like 1-3 weeks, and then I could turn around and endorse in IL, but the program starts in February so it seems like it may just be logistically impossible. I suppose I could always ask to be considered for their summer cohort as well to give me a few extra months to get it all lined up. Any advice would be super helpful!

You can always get a temporary license.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Etrips posted:

You can always get a temporary license.

Yeah it looks like they do those, just took some digging. It looks like they need a physical copy of my license, which may be difficult, but it's posted online within 48 hours. Then it takes 14 days to get the temp license. I'll try calling both boards to get some info! I'm terrified that this could actually happen. We were planning on moving eventually, this just speeds things up by a ton. Good thing I'm done with school Friday, I can study for the NCLEX and do interview prep all next week!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I graduated from my BSN program tonight. loving finally.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Nice man, grats.

I stumbled into something awesome today. See at my school, roughly twice a year they do a 10-day trip to Haiti to work in a volunteer clinic there, and they choose about a dozen of the Senior-level BSN students to come along. Naturally this sounds loving rad as hell and I want in, so in finding ways to make my name known to faculty at the school I went and talked to the Office of Student Success about becoming a peer tutor. Well it turns out I must've sold myself pretty drat well because I got the job right then and there. On top of that I find out today when I went in to fill out my W4's and such that the position entitles me to the 20% tuition discount given to employees of the health system my school is attached to. I've been stoked on that all day, being a huge nerd is finally paying off!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Gratis Annath! I'm looking forward to joining you in a few months.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I'm at my CRNA school graduation right now. I'm better than all of you.

Took and passed my boards Thursday too!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
No you're not, you're a tremendous dweeb who lives in a trash state and now barely makes more than me with more debt gg no re ;-*

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Roki B posted:

No you're not, you're a tremendous dweeb who lives in a trash state and now barely makes more than me with more debt gg no re ;-*

The jealousy is palpable. ;-*

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. I just finished the first semester of my RN program. :3:

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
I have one exam left in my FNP program. I'm nervous as hell that I'll fail it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

LoveMeDead posted:

I have one exam left in my FNP program. I'm nervous as hell that I'll fail it.

How quaint.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I saw a CRNA eat poo poo in an icy parking lot and bust his face open.

lol n00bs.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I just had a CRNA school interview this morning. It went really well!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Interview went really well last week, but not sure if I'll be able to make it work (and waiting on an official offer). The IL board is insane, wish I would have known about it a month ago so I could have started the process. We'll see what happens.

Oh also I graduated from my BSN program today :). It's been a brutal year, glad it's finally over!

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 16, 2017

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Iron Lung posted:

Interview in Chicago went really well last week, but not sure if I'll be able to make it work (and waiting on an official offer). The IL board is insane, wish I would have known about it a month ago so I could have started the process. We'll see what happens.

Oh also I graduated from my BSN program today :). It's been a brutal year, glad it's finally over!

Dude! It's not that bad! I promise! The hardest part about sitting for an out of state board is waiting for your dean to stamp all of your paperwork and send transcripts!? Glad you rocked the interview though.

In other news, I've got my own CRNA interview this week. We'll see how it goes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

trauma llama posted:

Dude! It's not that bad! I promise! The hardest part about sitting for an out of state board is waiting for your dean to stamp all of your paperwork and send transcripts!? Glad you rocked the interview though.

Thanks TL! Thats the thing though... by the time I get everything done for IL I won't be able to test until like late January or February at some point, and I was planning on doing it that in the next two weeks (UWorld is like the Dark Souls of NCLEX prep, I love it). The guy on the phone at the IL BON said it could take up to a month (or two, wtf) just for the fingerprinting to get approved because it is an insane process for out of state people, which means my app will just sit there waiting until it happens (I think). He recommended endorsing since I already started the the process, but each has their downsides. He told me if I had all my stuff in this week (literally impossible) I may end up in a batch to be processed and could potentially be approved by mid-Jan to test, but my school won't even process the transcripts for another 10+ days.

I just dont think I'll be able to hit the deadline of the end of February... I'm gonna head down to my school tomorrow or Thursday to get them the IL application paperwork and try to figure it all out. I may just end up testing in AZ, start the endorsement process now, and hope for the best. I already have a job in AZ so I can always work for a few months and then hit up the director who seemed to really like me. Or see if they'll let me start in the summer cohort instead! Luckily I did find out that I can take the NCLEX in AZ even if I do end up having IL as my primary, so thats an option. Although that can also take 2-4 weeks to change via Pearson Vue. Everything in IL seems to take 2-6 weeks, followed by another wait, followed by another and when I add them up I keep getting to the end of February which is the start date. And they won't let me start the residency with a temporary license :|. I'm gonna call the main office tomorrow to see if they have any more ideas. This also all may be a moot point since I don't even have an official offer :).

Sorry for the ramble thread, I'm just really overwhelmed with the process after how easy the AZ board has been to deal with.

Good luck on your interview!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Dirp posted:

I just had a CRNA school interview this morning. It went really well!

trauma llama posted:

Stop copying me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wandered over to check if final grades had officially posted, and got a very pleasant surprise. Apparently I did better than I thought this semester...

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Annath posted:

I wandered over to check if final grades had officially posted, and got a very pleasant surprise. Apparently I did better than I thought this semester...

Nice B loser.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Congrats dude (minus the one B, as pointed out above, get it together)!

I was definitely freaking out with the above post.

Edit and update: holy poo poo. Got a call, i'm starting in the ICU. I'm freaking out. Guess I need to study more for the NCLEX!

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 16, 2017

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Whelp, crna interview coming up, all flights cancelled due to this icy blizzard. A reasonable person would probably have waited to see if it clears up enough for flights to leave later this weekend.

But after 3 cancelled flights; I'm going to spit in Old Man Winter's eye. Time for a cross country road trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

trauma llama posted:

Whelp, crna interview coming up, all flights cancelled due to this icy blizzard. A reasonable person would probably have waited to see if it clears up enough for flights to leave later this weekend.

But after 3 cancelled flights; I'm going to spit in Old Man Winter's eye. Time for a cross country road trip.

Goonspeed.