Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tyderium strikes a nice balance between a UCS set and a normal playset. It's very accurate, big and display worthy without being cumbersome and super expensive. The only drawback is you have to make your own stand or the wings are stuck in the up position on the shelf. I really love that set though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Zodack posted:

I've never been particularly fond of it but to be frank the design of everything in Star Wars (even the prequel trilogy) is just fantastic, so I will happily display most Star Wars ships. I'm really taken by the U-wing design from Rogue One, though I'm unsure about the official set being in blue and white. Still gonna get that too, probably!

I love what I've seen of the U-Wing from the trailers but I think the Lego model of it is really ugly and boxy, the worst of the Rogue One sets for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was prepared to buy most of the Rogue One sets, but the Lego U-Wing is a pretty poor representation of the ship. It just looks really lackluster in person. The AT-ST looks nice, but the legs are completely immobile. I get why, but it just feels a little low-effort.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I won't be buying the u wing but I do think the box doesn't do it justice. It looks way better in the display models I've seen.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Now you guys are making me feel goofy for sticking it on my Christmas list. Especially after picking up the Tydirium for $60. Oldest Toys R US I've ever seen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I put the Winter Train together! It's a pretty nice set, and I might get the power functions to motorise it, and maybe some lights wouldn't hurt...

However, I feel like there weren't really enough parts to justify it. Aside from the track, it's pretty small, and it could definitely have used something else. Like, maybe a small station?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Went to Lego store. Came home w/ the Ferrari F40. Also with the release date of the new modular: 1/1/17. There does not appear to be a VIP presale for this one. $280. Geesh.

Also got the Moana catamaran.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

There does not appear to be a VIP presale for this one.

This is very disappointing :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No double VIP in August, either. Due to the price, I think I am just going to wait. $25 back as opposed to $12. Not a huge difference but yeah.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
You guys were not joking, that Tydirium is one of the best builds I've put together in a long time. Definitely worth my money, lucky enough that you guys noticed the sale so I could grab it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

No double VIP in August, either. Due to the price, I think I am just going to wait. $25 back as opposed to $12. Not a huge difference but yeah.

For once, it's a hell of a lot more reasonable over here in the UK (only £169) but I wish I could see how many points expire on Dec 31st.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I went to see a late movie and remembered there's a toys r us nearby, and for WHATEVER REASON they are open until 1AM now, so I stopped in to see if anything was left from the sale

the shelves were ransacked, everything of note pillaged, their spots empty and lifeless. a lone ferrari truck sat by itself, but was priced at 72 dollars, so gently caress that.

but, on the not discounted side of things, there were four opened, seemingly unmolested Series 16 Minifigure boxes. I...

I...

I may have bought 10 more Bananamen

It was so easy, the locations of minifigs are the same in each box, so grabbing the middle of the center row resulted in 3 Bananamen each in quick succession, and another found by random chance...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I hate to say this, Captain, but it might be time for an intervention. You just might have a problem.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have plans for these bananamen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Lego Dimensions is $30 for the starter pack at Target this week. For that price I'm finally jumping in. I long ago bought Unikitty for $7, and thanks to various recent sales I've got The Simpsons, Portal 2, Emmet, Benny, and Mr. T for like $60. I'm cool with that price just based on the piece count.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

If i try and upload an LDD file to bricklink, and it tells me it doesn't recognize one (or some?) of the pieces, how do i figure out which one is the problem?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Lego Dimensions is $30 for the starter pack at Target this week. For that price I'm finally jumping in. I long ago bought Unikitty for $7, and thanks to various recent sales I've got The Simpsons, Portal 2, Emmet, Benny, and Mr. T for like $60. I'm cool with that price just based on the piece count.

Yeah it's dropping finally, I picked it up for 40€ on Amazon last week with the limited Supergirl figurine. I already have Doc brown, The Simpsons, Doctor Who, Cyberman+Dalek, (all for 3 and 6 $ respectively thanks to a friend in San Diego who grabbed them at Target when they were on offer ages ago. And I got Slimer for cheap.

Now all I need is a... PS4 :shepspends:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone ever build new sets while wearing rubber gloves? I look at the professional pics Lego does and there is no dust, hair or smudges on anything. I'm guessing rubber gloves are a part of that process.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, they retouch the poo poo out of their photos on a computer.

I mean they probably do build them in a relatively dust free environment and wipe them down with lint free cloths, but they're not doing it in a surgery theater.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

No, they retouch the poo poo out of their photos on a computer.

I mean they probably do build them in a relatively dust free environment and wipe them down with lint free cloths, but they're not doing it in a surgery theater.

Now that you mention it, I have a good buddy with access to a satellite assembly clean room who loves Lego...
His worst abuse of it so far was applying the screen protector to his iPhone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112233386246

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

While I'm sure that's worth a pretty penny, that dude is absolutely shooting for the moon with that price.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It doesn't even mention whether it's glued together or not.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Like a 99% chance it is, every store display I've asked about is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how eBay asks if I have one I want to sell. Sure, I got a whole room full!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Good god imagine how you'd have to pack it for shipping if it wasn't. You know it's never gonna be the same if it comes apart even slightly and there drat sure ain't no instructions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

A lego store employee in Chicago opened up the back of one of its brick-built Clone Troopers once while I was there. Not only are they glued, they've also got thick metal supports inside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

I like how eBay asks if I have one I want to sell. Sure, I got a whole room full!

You laugh, but that button is super useful since it generally fills out all the relative information for a given item if it has it, and even provides pictures sometimes. Obviously not applicable here, but for selling some of the lego sets I've listed, it's been a godsend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when you really, REALLY want a lot of animal suit minifigures

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Collec...%3D182386086906

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Apparently there's been an influx of completely delusional lego collectors on eBay lately.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's that time of year when people need money to buy gifts, and they bought all that stuff as an INVESTMENT so now it's time for the lego to do its job and fuel their materialism.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I can't imagine there is a person in existence who would drop 20 grand on a thousand of the same figure.

Then again, someone who collected that many of the same figure certainly exists... But why? I get those people who obsessively build Clone armies if only barely, but... Animals?

Whats next... Banana guy?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

I can't imagine there is a person in existence who would drop 20 grand on a thousand of the same figure.

Then again, someone who collected that many of the same figure certainly exists... But why? I get those people who obsessively build Clone armies if only barely, but... Animals?

It's not even a thousand of the same figure, it's 98 each of ten different figures.

You can occasionally sell a minifig for $20, because some of them are hard to come by and someone Just Has To Have that one single fig. But none of these are that rare to begin with and nobody is ever going to wake up and decide that they need 1000 animal guy figures badly enough to pay $20 a pop for all of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

Well it's that time of year when people need money to buy gifts, and they bought all that stuff as an INVESTMENT so now it's time for the lego to do its job and fuel their materialism.
this, but unironically

Zodack posted:

I forgot I got one of those sealed cases for 105 bucks so I don't have 13 bananamen, I have 18

and one of the others I bought for 105 hasn't been cancelled yet, so...probably another 5 bananamen

that's it though

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Surely it would be better to sell "Set of 10 different Lego animal minifigs!" with 98 available quantity...?

Probably not if he wants $200 a set though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Straight White Shark posted:

You can occasionally sell a minifig for $20

Bumblebee Girl sells for up to $40 pretty consistently.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Bumblebee Girl sells for up to $40 pretty consistently.

Hot drat, time to sell mine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, some of the CMF go for fairly obscene prices. I remember the original Zombie minifig going for just crazy prices even while the series was still available. Seems it's evened out at around 25 bucks a pop now though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are a fair number of $20+ CMF. Especially from the earlier series. Anything in a full costume tends to be a bit more. Also, in some of the earlier releases there is a bigger disparity in the boxes. I think some boxes only had 2 of a couple of the figs. Now they all have at least 3 of everything. Or is it 4 now? Whatever, it was 2 for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, some of the CMF go for fairly obscene prices. I remember the original Zombie minifig going for just crazy prices even while the series was still available. Seems it's evened out at around 25 bucks a pop now though.

That one was special because it was the first ever Zombie minifig and we love our zombies for some reason.