Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like hot dad Jouchirou, so I'm down now that Bear Nuggets Arc is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Souma's mom was never a student at Tootsuki. She just ran or worked for a simple restaurant, maybe owned by her parents, and introduced Jouichirou to the appeal of a good plate of gyoza. He started realizing how elitist Tootsuki was, and that led to his dropping out.

I'm seconding this, if she went to Tootsuki and was close to Souma's dad, I think somebody like Fumio, Shiomi, or Dojima would've made some kind of mention of her in passing.

Hell, Azami probably wouldn't shut up about it if another student was the reason he dropped out, but so far everyone's only talked about it like it was a decision Jouichirou made on his own.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
on this page: http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/194/3853/7, azami was definitely imagining jouichiro in a princess leia gold bikini.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I'm seconding this, if she went to Tootsuki and was close to Souma's dad, I think somebody like Fumio, Shiomi, or Dojima would've made some kind of mention of her in passing.

Hell, Azami probably wouldn't shut up about it if another student was the reason he dropped out, but so far everyone's only talked about it like it was a decision Jouichirou made on his own.

I'm gonna go further and say that the last break period before the picture Dojima has was taken, Jouichirou met Ms. Yukihira. Her restaurant was failing, and Jouichirou thought he would be helpful by introducing all these gourmet dishes. Ms. Yukihira gets mad, because Jouichirou is taking the restaurant away from its original vision (which would be a low-class, traditional Japanese menu), and she shows him that the "If it ain't gourmet, it ain't poo poo" attitude that seems to be Azami's (and Tootsuki's, to an extent) attitude is flawed. Jouichirou drops out and decides to help Ms. Yukihira get her restaurant saved in a way that doesn't go against its vision. The two fall in love, get married, have Souma, and fifteen(?) years later, here we are.

And that's gonna be the tale Jouichirou tells Souma. We'll probably get a framing for the flashback where Dojima tells Takumi and Megumi part of the story, and then it'll cut to Jouichirou filling in the blanks (for the audience) as he tells the story to Souma.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you thought we weren't going to take the time to investigate the background of the primary antagonist particularly when it ties into the background of several other plot-important characters I don't think you're very good at being told stories

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kuroyama posted:

I'm gonna go further and say that the last break period before the picture Dojima has was taken, Jouichirou met Ms. Yukihira. Her restaurant was failing, and Jouichirou thought he would be helpful by introducing all these gourmet dishes. Ms. Yukihira gets mad, because Jouichirou is taking the restaurant away from its original vision (which would be a low-class, traditional Japanese menu), and she shows him that the "If it ain't gourmet, it ain't poo poo" attitude that seems to be Azami's (and Tootsuki's, to an extent) attitude is flawed. Jouichirou drops out and decides to help Ms. Yukihira get her restaurant saved in a way that doesn't go against its vision. The two fall in love, get married, have Souma, and fifteen(?) years later, here we are.

And that's gonna be the tale Jouichirou tells Souma. We'll probably get a framing for the flashback where Dojima tells Takumi and Megumi part of the story, and then it'll cut to Jouichirou filling in the blanks (for the audience) as he tells the story to Souma.

And that the site of the present Yukihira is that very restaurant where where Jouichirou got himself turned upside down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And that the site of the present Yukihira is that very restaurant where where Jouichirou got himself turned upside down.

that seems a little unsanitary

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I hope we can all at least appreciate Spice Mom in the time before she vowed never to be in contact with Joichiro again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eej posted:

I hope we can all at least appreciate Spice Mom in the time before she vowed never to be in contact with Joichiro again.

plz no bully spice mom

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/195/3875/1

Chapter is up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So in his desire to find his own brand of cooking, Saiba took up making the bizarre combination dishes that he and Souma have become infamous for?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Maybe he just got bored of eliciting the same reaction all the time from people who ate his cooking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was kind of a nothing chapter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that was kind of a nothing chapter

If I had to guess the author's stalling to drop something big in chapter 200?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It was a bit of a nothing chapter but I think the point was to make it a slice of life chapter from Joichirou's time at Polaris.

They're telegraphing Rindou being the best chef really hard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It was a bit of a nothing chapter but I think the point was to make it a slice of life chapter from Joichirou's time at Polaris.

They're telegraphing Rindou being the best chef really hard.

Like uncle, like niece I guess :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like uncle, like niece I guess :v:

I always found it funny that the fandom immediately latched onto Rindou (despite her having zero lines in her first appearance) and she immediately started showing up way more than anyone else in the Elite 10.

I'm interested to see how popular she is in the character poll they just did in Japan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

So in his desire to find his own brand of cooking, Saiba took up making the bizarre combination dishes that he and Souma have become infamous for?

It looked like it was in response to the people who seemed more interested in what his next dish would be than what his current dish was. If that was the frequent reaction he got, it's no surprise he changed things up to diner cuisine with a side of culinary mad science/alchemy on the side.

He makes things people focus on in the now and continues exploring the culinary storm.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Xelkelvos posted:

If Jouichirou and Souma are supposed to be similar, than it would be that Jouichirou is constantly trying crazy combinations in the background, but only shows the successful results to the public. The scene with the disgusting dish may have been the first time someone outside of the Polar Star dorms tasted one of his failures.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

It looked like it was in response to the people who seemed more interested in what his next dish would be than what his current dish was. If that was the frequent reaction he got, it's no surprise he changed things up to diner cuisine with a side of culinary mad science/alchemy on the side.

He makes things people focus on in the now and continues exploring the culinary storm.

Yeah. A lot of the judges always commented on Souma's food by saying that they really want to keep eating more and more of it. As Erina mentioned when it came to his beef stew, his flavor profiles are ones that you can't get sick of. This is in contrast to Saiba's dish in that scene where the diners just about forgot the impact of the dish he was serving and were looking for the next thrill.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kuroyama posted:

If Jouichirou and Souma are supposed to be similar, than it would be that Jouichirou is constantly trying crazy combinations in the background, but only shows the successful results to the public. The scene with the disgusting dish may have been the first time someone outside of the Polar Star dorms tasted one of his failures.

Are they supposed to be similar though? Gin's reaction to Megumi saying that in this chapter was "Hmm." I believe they also said much earlier that while Jouichiro was super-talented, Souma just works harder than everyone else. Like, Jouichiro actually discouraged Souma from cooking as a kid because he thought he didn't have any talent for it. They may be trying to highlight how different they are with this flashback, rather than showing how they're similar.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Clarste posted:

Are they supposed to be similar though? Gin's reaction to Megumi saying that in this chapter was "Hmm." I believe they also said much earlier that while Jouichiro was super-talented, Souma just works harder than everyone else. Like, Jouichiro actually discouraged Souma from cooking as a kid because he thought he didn't have any talent for it. They may be trying to highlight how different they are with this flashback, rather than showing how they're similar.

I thought Jouchirou discouraged Souma at first because he didn't want Souma to get caught up in the clusterfuck that is the gourmet chef lifestyle. Jouchiro even had to be convinced by Grandpa Nakiri to let Souma into Tootsuki.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Clarste posted:

That was certainly my impression. Jouichiro is a cooking genius who wins natrually; his weird dishes were a way of self-sabotage (at least at first). Souma loses a lot but is persistent and learns from his failures.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I remember it as Jouichiro just not particularly encouraging or pressuring Souma to cook because he didn't want to pigeonhole him into following his footsteps, but he didn't really discourage him either because the kid might really get into cooking. :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

I remember it as Jouichiro just not particularly encouraging or pressuring Souma to cook because he didn't want to pigeonhole him into following his footsteps, but he didn't really discourage him either because the kid might really get into cooking. :shrug:

This is what actually happened.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I thought Jouchirou discouraged Souma at first because he didn't want Souma to get caught up in the clusterfuck that is the gourmet chef lifestyle. Jouchiro even had to be convinced by Grandpa Nakiri to let Souma into Tootsuki.

Well they would not have gotten into the gourmet chef lifestyle. Remember Souma's goal was to take over his dads small diner.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the purpose of this flashback is to show how Soma and Azami are similar. Each took different lessons from Joichiro's tutelage. Interestingly, Azami sees a single path through the culinary storm that everyone can/must follow. Meanwhile Soma believes everyone has to find their own way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So, the good news is we're getting to see the E10 voiced and animated.

The bad news is it's in an OVA for the Autumn Leaf Viewing: https://youtube.com/watch?v=JzVhL7sMLUM

Which is a pretty big nail in the coffin of season 3.

E: How's their post-Stagiere Soma compare to manga Soma?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 17, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/196/3897/1
New chapter of young Souma's Dad continues.

So it's seems that the weird cooking thing came in part because of the pressures of being a "genius" and having to live up to those expectations. This also turned him into Dark Saiba aka Asura. Just speculation, but I'm guessing Azami actually wanted to return Saiba to his normal self and to prevent it from happening again, create a single cuisine with only one line of innovation so that such pressures of "innovation" don't happen again to anyone.

It's also given up a likely competition that the manga might go into later after this arc (and probably at least one or two more).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Xelkelvos posted:

So it's seems that the weird cooking thing came in part because of the pressures of being a "genius" and having to live up to those expectations. This also turned him into Dark Saiba aka Asura. Just speculation, but I'm guessing Azami actually wanted to return Saiba to his normal self and to prevent it from happening again, create a single cuisine with only one line of innovation so that such pressures of "innovation" don't happen again to anyone.

It's also given up a likely competition that the manga might go into later after this arc (and probably at least one or two more).

Jouichirou's problems seems to stem from the fact that while people think he's just a genius, he does work hard and do test trials to get better at this poo poo.

It's why he appreciates the Polar star dorm members because even though they get beaten by him all the time the first thing out of their mouth's were about how they were going to improve and beat him next time. He hates people who just give up and stop progressing blaming his genius as the reason they are stopping.

Also Isn't Shinomiya under 35 too.

That competition they are foreshadowing is gonna be awesome, and probably be the end of the series.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 22, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jouichirou went full Shawn Michaels.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Hell yes!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Jouichirou's problems seems to stem from the fact that while people think he's just a genius, he does work hard and do test trials to get better at this poo poo.

It's why he appreciates the Polar star dorm members because even though they get beaten by him all the time the first thing out of their mouth's were about how they were going to improve and beat him next time. He hates people who just give up and stop progressing blaming his genius as the reason they are stopping.

Also Isn't Shinomiya under 35 too.

That competition they are foreshadowing is gonna be awesome, and probably be the end of the series.

So if we're going that route is Soma legitimately going to beat Eishi here?

The culinary power creep is feeling pretty strong either way.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like Azami took the exact opposite reaction. He wants Jouichirou to go full Asura and lead the culinary world to a new golden age under that path, because Jouichirou is someone good enough to be allowed to innovate.

And I still feel that his weird combinations are just trying everything to see if it works.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So if we're going that route is Soma legitimately going to beat Eishi here?

The culinary power creep is feeling pretty strong either way.

They're gonna train in the hyperbolic time chamber. I assume they'll come out the other end with at least the Kaio-ken of Cooking Techniques.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hahaha Azami was always just a huge messed up weirdo. That's great.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
After like half a year of dealing with the stinkmeister I'm having difficulty adjusting to this new feeling of being invested in learning about a character

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/197/3915/1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like we finally know how he left Tootsuki.

I enjoyed that chapter a lot, actually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Riko is totally Soma's mom. At the very least, it's a Chekov's gun(man) right there - new girl introduced for a single panel who we've never seen before who has no apparent relationship to the current plot.

We also just assumed that Saiba changed his name to reflect a wife's name, when in reality we have no idea why he changed his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having even a uniquely talented student wash out because he couldn't handle tootsuki's bullshit any more isn't a very good argument for reverting to the previous status quo.