Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Geoj posted:

Ignition switch, or lock cylinder?

I can't recall if the 2008-11s were affected but there was a major issue with the first generation (at least through 2005/6) having jamming ignition lock cylinders. If this is the case you'll probably want to go through a dealer because they can sell you a replacement cylinder pre-keyed to your car based on the VIN.

2008 on had a redesigned switch. Earlier models had an issue with the tumbler itself. My case the key moves freely but it does not engage the ignition switch, so either the switch is bad or the pin is not being pressed into the switch from the tumbler (most likely).

Basically the exact problem this guy was having: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/309714-steering-column-ingition-problem-solved.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FCKGW posted:

2008 Focus Auto, only one engine I think. Bad ignition switch or housing, haven't tested it yet, but likely the whole housing needs replacement.

Rockauto pricing seems to be around where I saw most prices at so I may go there.

Like Boaz said, use Rockauto to look up part numbers for Amazon too. If you have Amazon Prime, you may be able to get the part a lot faster for about the same price. Maybe a little more, but if you need the part right away, Prime shipping makes it a hell of a lot cheaper to get it in 1 or 2 days (or sometimes same day if you order really early in the morning). Quality varies among the 3rd party manufacturers, but Dorman sometimes engineers fixes for a design defect into the part.

Also Amazon is a lot easier to do returns with. Might try ordering both parts, and sending back whichever one you wind up not needing. You eat the return shipping (so $5-10), but at least you have both possible parts on hand.

My 1980 Ford did the same thing, symptom wise. :stare: Except in my case the end of the lock cylinder (the part that actually turned the switch itself) snapped off. They've changed things a bit since then, but it was the same symptoms - key just spun and spun without doing anything. Never change, Ford!

Geoj posted:

I can't recall if the 2008-11s were affected but there was a major issue with the first generation (at least through 2005/6) having jamming ignition lock cylinders. If this is the case you'll probably want to go through a dealer because they can sell you a replacement cylinder pre-keyed to your car based on the VIN.

Different issue as they said, but this hit a coworker's 1st gen Focus in the parking lot at work once. Both of us tried for a good half hour to get it unjammed. It was a manual transmission car, so the only thing that should have been able to hang it up was the steering wheel lock. It wound up having to get towed to a shop, and yeah.... jammed cylinder. New cylinder fixed it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Different issue as they said, but this hit a coworker's 1st gen Focus in the parking lot at work once. Both of us tried for a good half hour to get it unjammed. It was a manual transmission car, so the only thing that should have been able to hang it up was the steering wheel lock. It wound up having to get towed to a shop, and yeah.... jammed cylinder. New cylinder fixed it.

Usually you could fix this with a few hours, corded drill and 5-6 drill bits run straight through the tumblers. Guess I got lucky - mine will turn 15 in June and the factory ignition cylinder has never given me any issues.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Now that you've said that, it will, invariably when you're running late to work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Good strategy for Rockauto: get part numbers there and check prices on amazon.

better strat: order one thing and use your 20% off coupon on a large order of poo poo you actually need.
Spend $5 in shipping save $100 in parts.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
If you finance a car over 72 months, you get a better interest rate than if you finance it over 48. Is there any reason you can't save money by picking the 72 month option and then just sending in payments as if you were doing 48?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Usually no. Some lovely banks might try to tack on a penalty for paying off early, but I think that's pretty rare among reputable financiers nowadays.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
When I first used BMW financial to finance a car, the automated payment was just what was due each month, paying more meant manually making extra payments. Now the website allows you to pick the amount you want to pay, so you can have payment plus whatever happen automatically each month.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The touchscreen in my Mazda 3 has developed a fun and exciting problem: it's detecting a constant input at a single point in the upper central portion of the display.

Should I even bother trying to remove and unplug and reinstall the screen and command unit in the hopes that it magically goes away? Or should I just go straight to the dealership to find out how they plan to invalidate the extended warranty I bought financed?

The screen unit thing looks like this:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FBS posted:

The touchscreen in my Mazda 3 has developed a fun and exciting problem: it's detecting a constant input at a single point in the upper central portion of the display.

Should I even bother trying to remove and unplug and reinstall the screen and command unit in the hopes that it magically goes away? Or should I just go straight to the dealership to find out how they plan to invalidate the extended warranty I bought financed?

If it's supposed to be covered, let them deal with it. It's not your problem.

I listen to the same XM station. :hfive:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

I listen to the same XM station. :hfive:

I got the photo from Google but that station is in my favorites list so :hfive: anyway

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FBS posted:

What year and color is your Mazda 3? Did you buy it new or used? Is it past the bumper-to-bumper warranty?

I've always been advised the extended warranty thingies are rarely worth it.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So I have a shiny new short block in my Forester courtesy of SoA. I'm assuming I go through the same ol' change the oil at about 1k miles before beginning the normal 7k interval?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FBS posted:

I can't guarantee it's the same but that was the most common failure method of touchscreen Panasonic Toughbooks I supported. once it happened the screen was toast and had to be sent in for repair. The hardware was toast, the hardware had to be replaced once that happened.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Michael Scott posted:

What year and color is your Mazda 3? Did you buy it new or used? Is it past the bumper-to-bumper warranty?

I've always been advised the extended warranty thingies are rarely worth it.

I bought it new and it is past the b2b manufacturer warranty. I generally feel the same way about extended warranties, but the day after I got the car the F&I guy came up with a different deal that included the extended warranty. In this case it looks like it will come in handy, apparently dealers quote $900-1200 to replace the nav system.

BitBasher posted:

I can't guarantee it's the same but that was the most common failure method of touchscreen Panasonic Toughbooks I supported. once it happened the screen was toast and had to be sent in for repair. The hardware was toast, the hardware had to be replaced once that happened.

Once I diagnosed it as a touchscreen problem I began to suspect the whole thing would be toast. That's when I dug up the extended warranty paperwork.

It must not be a hugely common problem (yet) since I only found one Mazda forum post describing the same issue.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Fire Storm posted:

2013 Ford Explorer Sport, V6 3.5l TDI gasoline (Ecoboost), just over 49000 miles on it, suburban Detroit and we use salt on the roads in the winter.

Getting check engine light and error code P219A
Issue persists. I figured I'd replace the Canister Purge Valve, PCV valve and the valve hose, parts cost under $50.

Does anyone have any clue where they hell they are in the Sport/Ecoboost models? There is some information out there on the standard engine models but not much. And no manual from Chiltons or Haynes.

I'd rather not order the parts and find out they aren't compatible and they aren't in the location listed (under the battery for the purge valve).

At least for my 2002 Focus I was able to get a repair manual within 2 years of purchase new.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Stupid question: I'm browsing craigslist, looking for something to buy next year, when I see an ad for a 2001 Mustang GT. It advertises a new motor, with a bunch of new parts put on.
But then I notice this pic:

I'm not very experienced when it comes to cars, but this looks like a belt was put on backwards to me. Am I wrong, or is the Mustang owner wrong?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah, it's good. 2001 mustangs are terrible, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GOD IS BED posted:

Stupid question: I'm browsing craigslist, looking for something to buy next year, when I see an ad for a 2001 Mustang GT. It advertises a new motor, with a bunch of new parts put on.

I'm not very experienced when it comes to cars, but this looks like a belt was put on backwards to me. Am I wrong, or is the Mustang owner wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_belt

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GOD IS BED posted:

You'll notice the water pump pulley (with the 4 bolts) has a smooth face instead of grooved; the flat side of the belt is supposed to ride on that, so the picture is correct.

01 mustang is... less sophisticated than the models that follow, but if the price is nice, everything else checks out and it's the car you want, then who cares?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Oh, duh! I should have noticed the grooves were pulling a different pulley. Thanks guys!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My Craigslist experience so far is getting scam calls from LA, Denver, NYC, and NJ.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Are you using a Google Voice number? Just making sure!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nah, it's good. 2001 mustangs are terrible, though.

Yeah uh, this. Also, there's a reason the engine got replaced, and it likely has to do with either abuse or lack of maintenance. The rest of the car will probably reflect that.

Or, if it's manual, he/she may have done a moneyshift - where you downshift into 2nd instead of 4th, or 1st instead of 3rd, etc - I've done that once, and it was a very expensive lesson.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I'm just looking right now- unless something amazing pops up (in which case I'd post it in the craigslist thread and ask for advice), the wife has me locked on for getting a crapcan racecar in March. Thanks for the heads up on that gen of Mustang, and the Google Voice idea, never even thought of that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, it's really easy to block a caller in Google Voice if they won't stop hassling you. They get an old school "this number has been disconnected or no longer in service" message once you've blocked someone and never rings the phone, and the call attempt shows up in the spam folder. If they text you, it goes into the spam folder as well.

If you install the Voice app on your phone, you can configure it to show either your real number or your Google Voice number on outgoing calls. Major downside is it doesn't support MMS fully, so you can't send pictures. You can receive them on most carriers now, but I think it gets forwarded as an email.

Depending on your carrier, you can configure it to take over your voicemail completely. That's one of the only reasons I haven't switched back to T-Mobile Prepaid, they don't support conditional call forwarding (postpaid does, but costs more since taxes aren't included in postpaid).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 11, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Hangouts app supports MMS

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I know nothing about cars, really.

How should I go about fixing this scratch? It looks like maybe some parts of it are down to the metal, and possibly have a little rust on there. It could also be that the scratch was caused by a wall and has brick dust in there.

Worst case scenario, am I gonna need to shell out a couple hundred pounds for a pro to fix this, or is it something I can do at home given time and internet expertise?

I've seen people online posting about rotary buffers and wet sanding and it seems like a lot of money invested, and I have no idea how much of that is necessary.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's beyond buffing, my friend.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah that needs sanding, filling, priming and painting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or, if you just want to stop the rust, sand it down with an 80 then a 220 grit sanding sponge, and throw some clear paint or nail polish (temporary) or associated touch-up paint over it.

Actual fixing will be in-depth.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Surprise T Rex posted:

How should I go about fixing this scratch? It looks like maybe some parts of it are down to the metal, and possibly have a little rust on there. It could also be that the scratch was caused by a wall and has brick dust in there.

Worst case scenario, am I gonna need to shell out a couple hundred pounds for a pro to fix this, or is it something I can do at home given time and internet expertise?

I've seen people online posting about rotary buffers and wet sanding and it seems like a lot of money invested, and I have no idea how much of that is necessary.

If it isn't an expensive car and you have access to a garage I'd try to paint it myself. Might not be perfect, but with 2 component paints and good prep work you can get good results. Especially since it probably won't be a couple hundred pounds to fix unless you get a "really good price".
I'd say this is pretty much what you need to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnILSQo_svI

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Surprise T Rex posted:

As others have said, that's far beyond any "mild" correction like polishing or wet sanding, the damage has gone right through the paint, and the only way to fix it is to add new paint.

Now, where you go with this will very much dependent on how much you care about the appearance of it. That video MrOnBicycle posted is a good shout.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
It's not an expensive car, no. I don't have access to a garage though so spraying it out in the damp British weather might be slightly difficult.

I'll have a look for those spray paints though, and see about doing it if I get a dry weekend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say at the very least touch in the damage to stop it rusting where bare metal and primer are exposed, and you can fix it "properly" later.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can't just paint that and have it look good. You'll need body filler to make it smooth. Otherwise you'll just have torn up body work with paint on it.

This is a job for a shop. It'll cost a few hundred bucks at a minimum.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

VW Polo
1.2l Petrol Engine

Dimly lit steering wheel with "!" next to it which stays on when ignition off and keys removed.
Had to leave it in the carpark this morning at work so I don't know if it goes off eventually but it didn't go off when the car was locked.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna assume you mean the display on the cluster is showing the "!", not the steering wheel itself. :v: Or maybe the TPMS "(!)" indicator?

This will sound crazy, but VWs of that era had issues with coolant migrating through the entire car via the wiring harness, thanks to the design of the coolant level sensor and connector. The first symptom was usually the cluster acting weird.

If you're comfortable doing so, remove the cluster. See if there's any liquid staining or residue where the plug(s) connect to it. If there is.... uh... it's time to get rid of the car, unless they did a recall for it in your area (the wiring through the entire car has to be replaced if coolant migration is the issue).

If you mean it's a button on the dash (not the instrument cluster), are you sure that's not the hazards (4 way flasher) button? Some cars light them up, even for a bit after the car is shut off. The icon on the button is usually a triangle with a "!" in the middle.

Beyond that... someone familiar with Polos will have to chime in. I only have passing knowledge of the migration issue myself.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Yeah sorry I meant there is a symbol on the dash.
There were issues with the coolant when I first got the car and I had to get a sensor changed so you might be onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My sister has 2015 (or so) Town and Country with push button and remote start. She said that the remote start wouldn't work, so she went out to the car and physically couldn't press down on the brake pedal to manually use the push button start. After about five minutes, it eventually worked.

I have no idea. Do you?