Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will it be fun-stupid like the first season, or stupid-stupid like the second season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm lost, is there a new Haruhi season coming as well?

Yeah, I've heard nothing about that.

edit: Oh it's just an announcement coming on the 18th.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 4, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The announcement finally got me to watch this series.

I really liked it, and I frankly don't understand where the "trainwreck" reputation comes from. Lots of contrived and illogical things happen, but almost all of it is setup well.

I don't mind characters doing illogical things because it's established that they're acting irrational and have legitimate reasons for this, it's like a classical tragedy or something but with robots.

The only things that really stood out to me was ougi getting stabbed and falling into a ravine but then just being fine without any mention of what happened between episodes and nunnaly not being nuked, although I guess that had brief footage of a bunch of ships that managed to avoid the blast as an excuse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

darealkooky posted:

The announcement finally got me to watch this series.

I really liked it, and I frankly don't understand where the "trainwreck" reputation comes from. Lots of contrived and illogical things happen, but almost all of it is setup well.

Have you started season 2 yet? That's where a lot of people wrote it off, including me.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I watched the whole series.

As an example, browsing through this thread has shown lots of people complaining about china being some kind of slog when it was only three episodes. From all the complaining I'd heard over the years via osmosis I was expecting like, double that at least. I thought it was pretty cool because it marks the moment where lelouch starts to not be such a gigantic rear end in a top hat (before that gets stomped on when shirley dies a few episodes later).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the problem is that season 1 was a lot tighter, plotwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much everything in R2 between the first episode and Lelouch The Emperor is completely goddamn awful and honestly most of Lelouch the Emperor is pretty bad too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I'd hate to just ask "give me a list of things that suck" but I genuinely don't see it. I feel like a bunch of stuff that could've been really stupid (lelouch is back in school again, basically everything with rolo and the geass cult) was handled in a way that made me overall enjoy it.

I would agree that season 1 is tighter, but I don't understand at all people that think large parts of it are horrible trainwrecks or whatever. I did essentially marathon it instead of having to watch it weekly, so maybe that helped?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you didn't watch Geass weekly, analyzing every new episode frame by frame, you didn't really watch it

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I'd hate to just ask "give me a list of things that suck" but I genuinely don't see it. I feel like a bunch of stuff that could've been really stupid (lelouch is back in school again, basically everything with rolo and the geass cult) was handled in a way that made me overall enjoy it.

I would agree that season 1 is tighter, but I don't understand at all people that think large parts of it are horrible trainwrecks or whatever. I did essentially marathon it instead of having to watch it weekly, so maybe that helped?

The mechs stopped roller blading and everything started flying and shooting beams at each other is obviously the worst offense of season 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zasze posted:

The mechs stopped roller blading and everything started flying and shooting beams at each other is obviously the worst offense of season 2.

Second worst. Karen being in jail for half the season is the worst offense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

The plot point are basically nonsense. I mean frigging Jeremiah Gottwald returns as a cyborg with an anti-geass eyeball only to promptly switch sides and join Lelouch the moment he's caused enough forced drama plot points. Kallen gets randomly shot down so she can be captured for multiple episodes so they can upgrade her robot for no reason. The entire plot just kind of meanders along hitting random points because it's super clear they had "Lelouch the Emperor" in mind as the endgame but not enough content to fill everything leading up to it.

If you liked it that's cool but I found it a large waste of time until the last 3-ish episodes where it finally got back onto the plot it clearly wanted to have. I certainly disliked basically every new character R2 introduced.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The plot point are basically nonsense. I mean frigging Jeremiah Gottwald returns as a cyborg with an anti-geass eyeball only to promptly switch sides and join Lelouch the moment he's caused enough forced drama plot points. Kallen gets randomly shot down so she can be captured for multiple episodes so they can upgrade her robot for no reason. The entire plot just kind of meanders along hitting random points because it's super clear they had "Lelouch the Emperor" in mind as the endgame but not enough content to fill everything leading up to it.

If you liked it that's cool but I found it a large waste of time until the last 3-ish episodes where it finally got back onto the plot it clearly wanted to have. I certainly disliked basically every new character R2 introduced.

I can accept the guren being upgraded while Karen is captive as Lloyd just wanting to make a newer, better robot because that's just who he is.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's code trainwreck in r2 because a lot of plot elements come out of nowhere and also a lot of the magic stuff was resolved in quite a rushed way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The interview with the director said they were basically forced to rehash the plot and keep in in the school bits because of their new time slot. IIRC their time slot was earlier than season 1, so they had to do some changes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It was a tight OVA masquerading as a full season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I didn't mind the plot rehash for the first couple of episodes, but they spent too much time in school.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tae posted:

The interview with the director said they were basically forced to rehash the plot and keep in in the school bits because of their new time slot. IIRC their time slot was earlier than season 1, so they had to do some changes.

yeah its this. code geass went from midnight hours to airing at like 5pm and taniguchi says they completely redid their drafting for it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
making GBS threads all over the season 1 finale was also a big offender.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It'll be pretty fun to see how they cram all of Geass in to three movies since they'll have to cut out a ton of shenanigans.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Definitely looking forward to more Code Geass, while it's not a flawless show I really enjoyed both seasons 1 and 2. Lelouch was always fun to watch, so anything that gets me more of him is okay in my book.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I felt the main point of Code Geass and what made it so good was Lelouch's entire character arc. Everything else was shown to support this, even if the plot got looser and the mech tech changed, it still all fit the major purpose and did it well. It was a goofy character drama, and viewers getting their panties in a bunch over laser beams are nitpicking and/or missing the point.

The show was fun, did what it wanted to do, and set a new precedent for how anime could successfully be marketed internationally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing I love about Code Geass is that everything - the marketing, the opening, even the fandom - wants you to believe Lelouch is this huge bad rear end who has everything covered but really he's winging it most of the time and his mentally outdoing people is done by the skin of his teeth.

He's like this weird cross between David Xanatos and MacGuyver.

Lelouch "gently caress it, we're doing it live" Lamperouge

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I rather liked R2 but I watched it after it aired in two sittings so even though I did recognize the worst parts of it it was over quickly instead of lasting half a year.

The flying laser mechs sucked a lot of the fun out of it though, especially the Rounds' custom mechs that didn't mesh at all with the rest of the series. Anya's mech in particular was the complete antithesis of the nimble, high speed combat of the first season.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
R2 was significantly inferior to the 1st season for various reasons, but some of the criticisms are exaggerated. There's a bunch of sequences or episodes even before the "Emperor Lelouch" arc that were pretty good. Also some things make more sense once you understand where the entire story is headed, rather than just instantly reacting to whatever twist happens every week. That's why I have a few less issues with R2 upon rewatching it.

---------------

Speaking of which...are you curious about how S2 was supposed to continue the story before the time slot change?

Someone has finally translated the script for the original "episode 26" that picked up right from S1's cliffhanger ending. It came with the Japanese BD re-release. Click here. Interesting read and you can see they still re-used some ideas later on.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 11, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I can see being upset about the difference between how mech combat works in the two seasons. As someone who only enjoyed the action scenes in either season as a consequence of the characters and motivations behind why people are fighting instead of the totally sick tactical mech action, let me offer a counterpoint.

They already did the ground mech stuff, and the more LOGH/colonial tactics that flying mechs have plays more to what stage of the rebellion lelouch is in for that season, going from gurellia tactics in one country to what's essentially ww3.

Arcsquad12 posted:

making GBS threads all over the season 1 finale was also a big offender.
In what way? The temporary reset because of the memory stuff? I thought that was interesting even if it's kind of a blatant move to reintroduce concepts. Having lelouch/the viewer be in a situation where they don't know basically anything about the situation for once is something that hasn't happened to him yet, and the idea that lelouch is essentially destined to be in the situation he was in ep1 by doing it again (but also having him do things a lot better the second time around, to show how far he's come) was a pretty cool scene. Likewise, the idea that even if her memories keep getting wiped shirley will still fall for lelouch because deep down they're still the same people is a pretty touching idea.

Namtab posted:

I didn't mind the plot rehash for the first couple of episodes, but they spent too much time in school.

I thought the school stuff was pretty cool. In s1 lelouch is hiding AT school, in s2 he's hiding FROM it and the NSA (I forgot the real name) agents stationed there. Also, in a series that just shits on everyone all the time you need something more light hearted so the audiences heartstrings can recover. Even having some of the knights show up at school (which was pretty silly) was used to demonstrate a point lelouch makes way back in early s1 about how the enemy is britania itself and not britannians, by subtly showing that their system can make someone like gino that's actually a pretty cool guy be okay with mass murder if it's dressed up correctly. I guess it's easy to just write that off as inconsistent characterization but geass is a grey enough series that I'm gonna give them credit for that.

ImpAtom posted:

The plot point are basically nonsense. I mean frigging Jeremiah Gottwald returns as a cyborg with an anti-geass eyeball only to promptly switch sides and join Lelouch the moment he's caused enough forced drama plot points. Kallen gets randomly shot down so she can be captured for multiple episodes so they can upgrade her robot for no reason.

I could go into a lot of words, probably too many, for why I completely disagree with what you've said. I think I'll refrain though as this post is already getting rather long.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 11, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

for the record, I'm not trying to say that you can't have issues with S2, I was just expecting a LOT worse after hearing for a years about how messed up it was.

Like an entire series of the last two episodes of evangelical combined with the sudden rape episode of valvrave and with even less setup levels of out there shenanigans.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I really like (and miss) Code Geass. Both seasons; it's a good show.

For a long time it was the popular thing to do to poo poo on Code Geass, and I think that's unfortunate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

for the record, I'm not trying to say that you can't have issues with S2, I was just expecting a LOT worse after hearing for a years about how messed up it was.

Like an entire series of the last two episodes of evangelical combined with the sudden rape episode of valvrave and with even less setup levels of out there shenanigans.

If you're expecting Valvrave level then no, it isn't that level of trainwreck. Valverave is several hundred levels more trainwreck than Code Geass ever was.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

This has been posted elsewhere by now and you might want to take it with a grain of salt, but....here's what people claim they saw in the PV/concept movie for the upcoming Code Geass sequel:

quote:

-A few years after the Zero Requiem
-The Chinese characters and Kaguya gather in China
-Kallen, Ougi and Tamaki make teppanyaki
-Zero performs an exhilarating jump over a building during the night
-Staff credits: Taniguchi as director, Okouchi as writer, CLAMP/Kimura as character designers
-A KMF resembling the Shinkiro with a full moon on the back
-There's a battle happening at Mount Fuji's foot, there a black machine with energy wings appears, it seems to be an Albion/Shinkiro fusion
-Cornelia in season 1 attire standing still
-Suzaku comes flying from the mountain to the center of the screen
-Lelouch's left eye seems to have a blue Geass sigil
-a damaged Zero mask ashores in a beach
-explosion in the Middle East or somewhere similar
-CC and a person (Lelouch?) riding on a camel
-Kallen, Ougi and Tamaki carrying luggage in a airport
-The Shinkiro-esque KMF fires the chest gun
-Zero is in a factory zone with a railway
-A damaged Jeremiah is seen in rising alone from a lake where there are flamingos around
-China scene is a tea party(Tianzi, Xianglin confirmed)
-Cornelia faces a Buddha statue in terror then a blast happens
-Lots of destruction shown
-The Albion+Shinkiro fires Harkens from its back
-Suzaku crashes violently in a orange field
-lots of KMF appear in a forest
-Rivalz, Nina and Milly are also in the airport
-Jeremiah and Suzaku running thru the orange field (seem to be using KoR uniform)
-The new purple energy wing KMF is colored like Zero's costume

Nothing that really spoils much, but I guess we won't see more until circa 2018.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 11, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

darealkooky posted:

That sounds more like a good way to describe the second half of Sword Art Online, actually.

Except the last two episodes of Evangelion aren't *terrible* on reflection.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay so for real the absolute worst part of the entire series is R2 21 because it flushes almost literally every major plot point since the start of the series down the drain in the most unceremonious was possible

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sarcophallus posted:

I really like (and miss) Code Geass. Both seasons; it's a good show.

For a long time it was the popular thing to do to poo poo on Code Geass, and I think that's unfortunate.

:yeah:

Code Geass is one of the first big animes I watched, and it is probably still my favorite.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly the big thing about season 2 that most people get in a stink over, the Black Knights betraying Lelouch, only comes off badly to me because there's Ohgi and Viletta, the latter of whom is legitimately villainous and cowardly and doesn't really deserve the "redemption" she got, being fully accepted while everyone condemns Zero.

Everyone else, I can understand, because the implications of how geass works, Lelouch's background, and the fact he was responsible for the Euphinator are all pretty damning.

Schneizel's true colors had also been yet to be really revealed and he was one of the people who helped Euphie set up her actual goal (before the aforementioned geass turned her murderous), so I can see why he didn't get met with as much suspicion at that point in the story.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Honestly R2 is to the original 25 episodes as Dragonball GT is to DB/DBZ, a series that tries to change too much and do too much, takes away beloved characters for large portions of time and has good ideas executed terribly. Near the end it manages to pick up the scraps and tape them together for a *mostly* satisfying ending. Though it'd have been more satisfying if Viletta and Ohgi got killed off right near the tail end as a right "gently caress you" instead of letting them get off scot-free for their actions.

chumbler posted:

Second worst. Karen being in jail for half the season is the worst offense.

Why even have the Energy Filler concept if its only going to be used as a plot device to conveniently shut down a Mech. As much as I like the Guren Seiten there could've been a better way to go about that plot thread, maybe have it so Shen Hu didn't have the cockpit wrapped up or something so she could have ejected, and then have the Guren alone be taken, made into some strange hybrid of Britannian and Japanese design philosophies. Nothing really came out of her being in jail save for her laying the beatdown on Suzaku.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Code Geass is an anime that had the decency to end well and there are a shitload that can't say that.

Whatever R3 does, this won't change.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta say I'm not really getting the hate on Viletta. She generally felt more like a victim as a person from the underclass trying to buy into the system than genuinely evil. Interactions between her and Suzaku could have been interesting if they had ever happened, but instead Ohgi happened. He deserves all the hate he gets.

Edit: Hell, I think that was even supposed to be a character element of some of the knights of the round, but I guess there was never a way to write that in.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Though it'd have been more satisfying if Viletta and Ohgi got killed off right near the tail end as a right "gently caress you" instead of letting them get off scot-free for their actions

2016 has been telling us that bad or misguided people can get away with things and not be punished IRL, so...I'll shrug.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Code Geass is an anime that had the decency to end well and there are a shitload that can't say that.

Whatever R3 does, this won't change.

Pretty much. People still like end of Eureka 7 despite AO coming up with weird, unnecessary ways to continue the story.

Nor does the TV ending of Votoms stop being great just because Shining Heresy couldn't leave it well enough alone.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that as far as I'm aware, people didn't so much have a problem with flying suits in R2, so much as with the Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements and the Lancelot Albion specifically. Flying units were a reasonable evolution of the technology in R1, with examples such as the Gawain already existent even then. The ludicrous supermechs that were those two? Not so much. The original Lancelot and Guren were certainly superior to their contemporaries to some extent with their equipment, but a lot of it came down to pilot skill, and they were about what you could expect from a slight evolution of current suits with some prototype technology. On the other hand, those two in R2 were legitimate super mecha that didn't remotely fit with anything else in the series.

R2 also suffered in that minor, but supposedly elite, enemy pilots were utterly brushed aside with basically no introduction or relevant fights before being removed. For example, the Vampire's Valkyrie Squadron (did you know that the two briefly shown were, in fact, given names even in the show - Liliana Vergamon and Marika Soresi? Or that Marika canonically survived?), or hell even most of the Knights of the Round in general (and realistically this was the big one), just appeared and then nearly immediately died. Compare that to R1 where even the relatively minor enemy elites like Kewell Soresi or the Glaston Knights got at least some minor introduction and development before getting unceremoniously offed.

The pacing and tonal issues in general were already mentioned, but to add to the Black Knights betrayal scene, it barely made sense for even more reasons than were already mentioned. The Black Knights didn't betray Zero, Ohgi and a small select band he got together did. Kaguya? Tohdou? Raksharta? They were all considered part of the leadership too, with the first two especially likely respected a lot more than loving Ohgi, and weren't even remotely around or had any intent to do any betrayals. So the whole spiel he gives about the Black Knights coming to that decision is even more absurd, and yet another reason why the fucker should have been given concrete boots after everything was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did anything ever come of the note shirley wrote before her first mind wipe, that the camera kept cutting back to to remind you that shirley has this ticking dramabomb crumpled under her bed or whatever?

It's been a bit but I seem to recall that never actually factoring into the story and being really disappointed/frustrated with it