Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Someone was asking about what the worst possible fail-Shep trilogy run would be a few pages back. This is one I played through myself:

quote:

ME1.
Colonist, sole survivor either gender. Make sure your face is ugly as sin.
Recruit Liara last for added craziness.
Don't recruit Garrus.
Let Wrex live on Virmire.
Romance either Ashley or Kaidan but pick them to die on Virmire.
Don't help Kirahe's team on Virmire.
Kill the Rachni queen.
Be a general dick about executing people etc.
Don't do the Jenna quest on the citadel but do all of Conrad's quest
Don't save the council

ME2
Don't release Grunt from the tank until after the Suicide mission
Sell Legion to Cerberus
Pick Morinth over Samara
Shoot Conrad in the leg and do his mission
Only have the following loyal team mates Jack, Morinth(unavoidable if you recruit her),Tali and Zaeed.
Romance Jacob or Thane if female (may need extra loyalty but it won't affect anything)
Romance Tali if male. (the payoff is in ME3)
Have dinner with Kelly so that she appears in ME3
Take all upgrades for the ship
Send Jacob into the vent. He dies.
Have Zaeed lead the fireteam (makes no difference)
Use Miranda for the bubble and have Garrus and Kasumi as your teammates, this kills Garrus.
Send Morinth back with the crew and save them (the death pay-off is in ME3)
Have Thane lead the second fireteam. He dies.
Leave Zaeed, Tali, Mordin and Kasumi to hold the line while Jack and Miranda go to the final battle. This should leave Mordin and Miranda dead.
The only survivors of the mission will be Zaeed, Morinth, Tali, Jack and Kasumi. However you can now wake Grunt but leave him disloyal.
Save your game and go romance Morinth.

ME3
Do Kasumi's side mission. She dies there.
Don't rescue Jack and the students at Grissom, Jack appears later as a phantom.
Morinth will also appear later as a banshee.
Save the cloned Rachi queen. Send Aralak company to their deaths along with a disloyal Grunt.
Not doing Mordin's quest in ME2 means you don't have Maelons research. Eve dies.
Betray Wrex by siding with the Salarians.
Kill Padok Wiks when he discovers the sabotage.
Kill Wrex when he shows up on the citadel for revenge.
Side with the Geth on Rannoch. Tali commits suicide.
Kill either Ashley or Kaiden during the coup. The councillor will die due to Thane and Kirahe being dead.
When Kelly confesses to spying on you for TIM get angry with her. She will commit suicide off screen.
Do Conrad's quest on the Citadel but he will get killed due to you not doing Jenna's quest back in ME1
Romance Diana Allers
Since Miranda is dead it is now possible for her sister to die on Horizon.
Go to the final battle with as low an EMS as possible. Whomever you bring to the beam assault will die
there.
Zaeed lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hank Morgan posted:

Zaeed lives.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Its pretty funny though to complete the suicide mission then go back and burn Zaeed to death, especially if he is the one that helps you into the Normandy SR2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hank Morgan posted:

Someone was asking about what the worst possible fail-Shep trilogy run would be a few pages back. This is one I played through myself:

I've often thought about the most failure way to play through Mass Effect, and it's actually somewhat complicated to think about. This is a pretty good guide! Is there a reason why you leave Zaeed loyal in this playthrough, seeing as how you can also get him killed in his own personal mission?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dying at the end of me2 is the best fail ending

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm inclined to disagree because it takes until the very end of ME3 to get Liara killed under circumstances that are very rare and most people would never probably experience.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Liara is good and cool

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

Liara is good and cool

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is any of the ME3 DLC actually worth it? About to start my replay of that but I haven't touched it since release.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Hank Morgan posted:

Romance Diana Allers

This really was the final nail.

You kill Zaeed in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 10, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:yeah:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crustashio posted:

Is any of the ME3 DLC actually worth it? About to start my replay of that but I haven't touched it since release.
It depends on what you're looking for. Citadel is considered the best by almost everyone as a nice goodbye letter to all the people you've picked up along the way. It also has the combat simulator, which is basically a SP version of MP. Leviathan is interesting and adds backstory to the reapers. Omega is almost all combat and Aria is the star of it so if you hate her it's completely skippable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crustashio posted:

Leviathan is really good. Citadel is a nice victory lap and has the combat room which is the only time combat in the singleplayer will challenge you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The enjoyability of omega depends on how much you like Aria as a character and lash as a power.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Does anyone like Aria as a character?

E: other than the writers, I guess

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

poisonpill posted:

I didn't... hate her...

She's no Sera though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kurieg posted:

The enjoyability of omega depends on how much you like Aria as a character and lash as a power.

also how much you like the combat in general. if you liked it, then sure it's just more mass effect 3 combat. if you didn't or were neutral, then no it's just more mass effect 3 combat.

the adjutants were kind of fun but after honing my mind and body to perfection in platinum multiplayer they posed no challenge although a new player might find them difficult maybe

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kurieg posted:

It had some nice environments to fight through and if you can deal with Aria it's got some fun bits. Definitely the least-important DLC, though.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

poisonpill posted:

Yeah, but I don't really get disliking characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:psyduck:

What's not to get?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Yeah, but I don't really get disliking characters.

what does this even mean?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really get why you guys would not like things

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Bad characters are uninteresting, and if they're uninteresting then I just don't think about them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
did the old ME3 thread get terribly pedantic? Is that why I un-bookmarked it?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

JawKnee posted:

did the old ME3 thread get terribly pedantic? Is that why I un-bookmarked it?

do you really have to ask

e: Aria was terrible and bioware tried too hard at making her "badass"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Bad characters are uninteresting, and if they're uninteresting then I just don't think about them.

Okay

other people don't do this

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Okay.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im glad we all came to an understanding

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

anyway to the DLC question person:

Citadel is great, a lot of it is meant to be hammy and cutesy and it pulls it off very well. Comes with a new hub-type area with a fair amount of stuff to do, the combat sim which is pretty neat, and lots of character interaction - and prior to unlocking that you have a new questline to follow that is very tongue-in-cheek but given the grimdark tone of the rest of the game comes off as very refreshing.

Leviathan is okay, it has some great set-pieces, decent combat, and provides some frankly unnecessary and tacked-on feeling exposition about the reapers and their origins

I don't have Omega because I didn't like Omega in ME2 and didn't want to deal with Aria at all

e: I think there's also the content dlc? I don't remember, think I may have gotten some of it on sale.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

As far as Aria goes, she has that overwrought intro in ME2, and the rest of her writing doesn't match that at all. You're supposed to get the feeling that she doesn't really have any interest in Shepard, but she clearly is interested in what he/she is doing. The character is a lot more consistent in ME3, where getting back Omega is at least a plausible motive for her.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

As far as Aria goes, she has that overwrought intro in ME2

I agree, but I think this is a general Bioware writing flaw quirk. Mordin bursting into song, Thane narrating PTSD flashbacks, Grunt naming himself, flowery rachni speech, Alistair's Whedonisms, Isabella's innuendos... Bioware doesn't really do subtlety.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:yeah:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

EA seems to have a 30% off coupon right now; I don't know if the pre-order is $80 elsewhere, but knocking $24 off seems more palatable.

e: welp, nevermind, apparently 'storewide' means 'but not that stuff in the store'

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 10, 2016

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lt. Danger posted:

I agree, but I think this is a general Bioware writing flaw quirk. Mordin bursting into song, Thane narrating PTSD flashbacks, Grunt naming himself, flowery rachni speech, Alistair's Whedonisms, Isabella's innuendos... Bioware doesn't really do subtlety.

Those are all companions though. Aria is given an intro that is utterly at odds with her relative narrative importance. I don't hate Aria, but she's definitely someone's pet character. Morrigan from DA is a lot worse in that respect though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked Morrigan

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lt. Danger posted:

true but those characteristics are... you know actual character traits, that get referenced or help us understand the characters better or w/e

Aria... just talks a lot of poo poo but until Omega DLC never actually DID anything. She just sat around. And if there's one thing people don't like it's folks who talk themselves up but never follow through. I mean the game never really follows through, like they introduce her as someone big and important and then you have like three minor conversations and honestly she's completely irrelevant to both 2 and 3.

I mean maybe this was intended, that we were supposed to just roll our eyes at her like, but I think it's more likely we were supposed to think she's so cool and badass she don't even have time for Shepard (and then they fail to actually deliver on that cool and badassness) or whatever and I hope you can see how folks might not like that sort of thing, even ignoring any sort of objective level of writing quality.

honestly I think they could have changed a few things about her presentation- not even her character- and she'd be stronger for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Merrill still holds the title of worst bioware character. Worse than Mission, worse than Liara, worse than Sera. Not that she didn't have stiff competition from DA2 anders and pretty boy lyrium elf.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I liked Morrigan

same but Claudia Black'll get me every time

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Merrill still holds the title of worst bioware character. Worse than Mission, worse than Liara, worse than Sera. Not that she didn't have stiff competition from DA2 anders and pretty boy lyrium elf.

DA2 was a cavalcade of bad characters.

But beware my opinions, because I liked KotOR's characters, including Carth and Mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Well Aria's supposed to be the counterpart to the Citadel's Council - it's part of the whole Paragon/Renegade tone flip between ME1 and 2. All the "don't gently caress with Aria/I AM OMEGA" bombast is supposed to mirror the stuffy Council Saren inquiry/Spectre induction pomp.

Plus the animation team showing off, of course.