Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one can only hope that maybe they take some pointers from the bot improvements

ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Johnny Joestar posted:

one can only hope that maybe they take some pointers from the bot improvements

ha ha

I think it's a good time to be optimistic. The game has never been stronger. 1.5 is the best patch to date with zero stability issues.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, that's true. i just want the update to get here already

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1.5 basically looks like a reminder that for as weird and wonky as Fatshark can be, they're actually really good at the basics of what makes their game fun.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is the red elf sword in the quests today any good in the beta

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is the red elf sword in the quests today any good in the beta

The elf sword is good in the beta and the red elf sword has one good trait and two meh ones, when you can get an orange with Regrowth Normal, Killing Blow, and Devastating Blow that'll do way better.

Killing Blow really helps the elf single sword, though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Other stats question, I upgraded those blue drakefires to orange since I'd been running the reds so long and this is my first chance to surpass them. The stat selections seem really limited on it. Are there just only a few sets of skills that can be put on em? I ended up with Targeteer, the 10% less heat generation, and Berserker as the best I could get.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Other stats question, I upgraded those blue drakefires to orange since I'd been running the reds so long and this is my first chance to surpass them. The stat selections seem really limited on it. Are there just only a few sets of skills that can be put on em? I ended up with Targeteer, the 10% less heat generation, and Berserker as the best I could get.

According to Verminguide, drakefires have 11 possible perks. Targeteer is very nice on them.

I'd go for some combination of Targeteer, Bloodlust, and then either I'd accept any of master crafted, stability, channeling rune, or hail of doom.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mzbundifund posted:

According to Verminguide, drakefires have 11 possible perks. Targeteer is very nice on them.

I'd go for some combination of Targeteer, Bloodlust, and then either I'd accept any of master crafted, stability, channeling rune, or hail of doom.

Yeah, Drakefires have kind of poo poo awful accuracy without targeter. If you can pull bloodlust/Targeter, basically anything you get as a third trait would qualify as 'good enough' to keep it.

Something to keep in mind is that even with Targeter, Drakefires have a quick damage dropoff in mid range. You can kill clanners with one shot if they are within about 6-7 paces of you, but outside of that it takes 2 body shots to drop em on nightmare.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
For all that people complain about Fatshark I very much enjoy their rat-murder simulator and I hope they're cooking up even more rat-killin' DLC after the dorf stuff :shobon:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

1.5 basically looks like a reminder that for as weird and wonky as Fatshark can be, they're actually really good at the basics of what makes their game fun.

There's a reason I kept playing this game consistently through the post-drachenfels drought when they fell silent and onbashira and mike were basically the only other people in goonintide for several months.

It is an incredibly fun video game made by people with apparently no ability to manage the technical complexity of the project, which means the content to they add is great, it just rarely comes without bugs and instability and takes way longer to come out than predicted.

Seriously, when the game came out there was no shrine of solace so if you rolled an orange and the traits sucked or you rolled minimum %s on every trait you just had to deal with it. And the loot tables were worse so good weapons were rarer. And you could not fuse without putting 5 items in the forge, which meant "safe" fusing was a very slow process. And the bulletin board wasn't in the game at all, so guaranteed huge amounts of ore and trinkets and hats and orange weapons were not a thing at all. You were at the mercy of the loot roll, end of story. Release was night and day compared where we are now.

The drachenfels levels are all great (however much I may complain about the dungeons), the new level previewed in the beta was great, and the majority of their balance changes were spot on. The beta was also massively optimized due to the improvements they made for consoles, and was more stable than the main branch rather than less, which is a new thing for fatshark. So even if they continued to make exactly as many bugs as they fixed and continued to release everything late, the gameplay would still be the same solid foundation that's kept me playing since release, and they are only making that part better. But for the first time they are legitimately fixing more problems with the game than they are creating on the technical side of things, so I think there's good reason to be encouraged.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, they're just so excited about their game and it's really endearing. They really, really wanted to make ratfight and took what I was sure would be some silly shovelware game and made one of my favorite action games ever instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The OP hasn't been updated since the game came out so I'll make a new thread around when the DLC comes out if there are no objections. Any external resources I should link to besides verminguide?

Also that cute rat is going in the first post and I will not compromise on this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All rats are cute.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

The OP hasn't been updated since the game came out so I'll make a new thread around when the DLC comes out if there are no objections. Any external resources I should link to besides verminguide?

Also that cute rat is going in the first post and I will not compromise on this.

When the overhaul hits on the 15th, I'm going to prepare a proper series of video showcases on how to use each weapon and how to handle the situations in the game with them, with Coolguy. I was considering making a thread for it too. It'll take a couple days work. It's high time that there be some clean, proper information out there and it'll be the crux of a definitive, comprehensive OP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i will be the living embodiment of advice to become the most efficient rat killer in the Empire :megadeath:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

All rats are cute.

Especially when they're on fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

*Kerillian voice*

Cute rat pics.

CUTE! RAT! PICS!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

nvm didn't read well enough

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 9, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is it, I'm never throwing a better bomb

Incidentally if I made the next thread I was not planning on making the OP either a dictionary-length advertisement for the game or a dictionary-length gameFAQs guide for it, I was just going to link to the useful resources/videos after the summary/DLC info/mandatory rat gifs and verminmemes, so someone else make if it that's not approved of

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i deffo highly approve of the great taste less filling style of OP for many games but grab the second and possibly third post as well for the encyclopedia rattanica because let's be real, this is a game that DOES need a lot of instructional material if you want to feel competent at it with fewer than 200 hours played.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

My idea isn't to be verbose, it's just going to include those ideas and up-to-date information on the game as a whole and be as approachable as can be.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The actual reason why you should always block while joining a game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious as to why fatshark doesn't just make it so that players automatically block when they start reviving someone

it's not like they're going to be reviving in a situation where they don't want to block

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They did internally, but then the WIP shield rat started appearing everywhere and oh no how did it even get out of the game shut it down pull the plug

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I only learned you could block revive a few nights ago to be honest, but the night after that I managed to wait out and then save 3 dead pubbies on NM Wheat and Chaff, with a roger chasing me the whole time.

It took a whole fuckin lotta juking, fence hopping and just quick moves as the littlest hero. :madmax:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

I feel like I have found one of the few trait combinations that redeem the repeater (in the current meta).

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lunethex posted:

When the overhaul hits on the 15th, I'm going to prepare a proper series of video showcases on how to use each weapon and how to handle the situations in the game with them, with Coolguy. I was considering making a thread for it too. It'll take a couple days work. It's high time that there be some clean, proper information out there and it'll be the crux of a definitive, comprehensive OP.

I really wish something like this was around when I was first starting, because the selling point of "warhammer l4d" is really really inaccurate in the finer details of both games (and I love both games to pieces, to be clear). It's more like Mount and Blade but way faster, you begin as an endgame MnB character, and every level you're outnumbered 1000 to 1. Even just one visual resource to show the "death waltz" would have saved a lot of thrown games on my part.

For instance: everything in the Rats Chats Quick Tips youtubes? Blew. My. loving. Mind.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 10, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Got a handy link for those videos?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Willie Tomg posted:

I really wish something like this was around when I was first starting, because the selling point of "warhammer l4d" is really really inaccurate in the finer details of both games (and I love both games to pieces, to be clear). It's more like Mount and Blade but way faster, you begin as an endgame MnB character, and every level you're outnumbered 1000 to 1. Even just one visual resource to show the "death waltz" would have saved a lot of thrown games on my part.

For instance: everything in the Rats Chats Quick Tips youtubes? Blew. My. loving. Mind.

Man, that explains a lot about why this game felt familiar right away to me. The fights really ARE similar to M&B's ground fights.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The endgame M&B character is the guy who just overhead swings a claymore forever right? :getin:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Man I loved just taking out fools left and right in Mount and blade. I would siege castles and just pick off people on the wall with my bow until my pack of idiots cleared a path for me to pile in with my pole arm.
Then I would lose the castle right away because I wouldn't stand every management element in that game.

Similarly my favorite thing in this game is wading into a horde, but I won't slow down to block and push with mixed reaults.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hexenritter posted:

Got a handy link for those videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-TJsyxtr8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966pJfk2JzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wDp6V0cog

As a new player, I'd say a solid 2/3rds of these had me slapping my forehead in amazement that more of these weren't billboarded somewhere very prominent ingame.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

[snip]

As a new player, I'd say a solid 2/3rds of these had me slapping my forehead in amazement that more of these weren't billboarded somewhere very prominent ingame.

Thanks for these. I hope to be a not poo poo player and clamber out of double digit levels soon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The falling damage evasion through healing is particularly pathbreaking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A number of those have been fixed so don't count on the state change object duplication thing to work, and others. All the mechanics info is still accurate though, such as how each swing does different damage to different numbers of rats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtPxba8nBxg

The spreadsheet itself is going to be pretty outdated as soon as the patch hits though. Hopefully the data is still available and the owner can update it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Wizard's cock, dual daggers with backstabbery, regrowth, and whatever that trait is that boosts your attack speed is downright game-changing. Couple that with a nice movement speed trinket and a speed potion and suddenly your elven-Kenshiro brutalizing your way through Stormvermin packs.

Also when are we getting new enemies already? I'd love to see something along the lines of rat swarms as an alternate to slaves, warpthrowers added to the mix of special skaven, stormvermin variants, etc...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Willie Tomg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-TJsyxtr8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966pJfk2JzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wDp6V0cog

That FOV's giving me a headache.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what weapons should I be hoarding for post-patch life? Blue rocks are my bottleneck right now so I'm trying to upgrade useful things I don't already have in orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what weapons should I be hoarding for post-patch life? Blue rocks are my bottleneck right now so I'm trying to upgrade useful things I don't already have in orange.

Absolutely everything will be good and fun post patch mostly

• Locked thread