Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tavarin posted:

Just give them all your prospects and be happy about it.

I don't know that I'd even do that trade for Sale, much less Quintana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Just skimmed BFIB... Dex. :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I no longer know who the sexiest Cub is now that numbers 1 and 2 are gone.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
That glove is extremely good

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

meh

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Poque posted:

I no longer know who the sexiest Cub is now that numbers 1, 2 and three are gone.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Intruder posted:

The White Sox asking price for Quintana was apparently Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove

That's.... steep

They'll probably get it or close to that value anyway. If not now then at the Trade Deadline, barring injury.

Quintana has been real real good. and is under control.

The White Sox also don't have any need to trade him now since he wasn't a problem in their locker room.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Dexo posted:

The White Sox also don't have any need to trade him now since he wasn't a problem in their locker room.

Yeah, that's why they traded Sale. :rolleyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, that's why they traded Sale. :rolleyes:

Yes. the dude that cut up uniforms because he didn't want to wear them and the dude that publicly called out his Team Pres/GM/Owner.

Maybe saying locker room was the wrong phrase as most of the other players probably liked him, or were ambivalent. But he very much was antagonizing the Front Office. And the last thing you want when you are stripping a team down before hopefully building them back up is a dude who is vocally opposing the Front Office.

And hell I'm not even saying he was wrong to antagonize the front office. Far be it from me to stop anyone from talking about Jerry Reinsdorf. But you kinda knew that Sale was going to be gone after this year regardless of what route the Sox decided to take this offseason.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2016

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Dexo posted:

Yes. the dude that cut up uniforms because he didn't want to wear them and the dude that publicly called out his Team Pres/GM/Owner.

Maybe saying locker room was the wrong phrase as most of the other players probably liked him, or were ambivalent. But he very much was antagonizing the Front Office. And the last thing you want when you are stripping a team down before hopefully building them back up is a dude who is vocally opposing the Front Office.

It may have been a very small factor but not the primary reason. The Sox were most likely not going to contend and decided to rebuild, trading their best piece was the best way to start the process of reloading. Him cutting up some jerseys would be a pretty loving petty reason to blow up your team. They were going to trade him even if he hadn't done that poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes the White Sox traded their best two pieces because of makeup issues not because they got a pile of great prospects.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

It may have been a very small factor but not the primary reason. The Sox were most likely not going to contend and decided to rebuild, trading their best piece was the best way to start the process of reloading. Him cutting up some jerseys would be a pretty loving petty reason to blow up your team. They were going to trade him even if he hadn't done that poo poo.

1. Reinsdorf organizations tend to be petty as gently caress. So it totally fits their MO

2. If it was just the jersey's then yet(though yeah maybe also don't call out your Owner/GM/Team Pres.) wasn't going to start the year on the team. Like I wouldn't have been shocked if Quintana/Eaton/Abreu or any of the other trade chips the Sox had started the year with the team(Actually maybe Eaton) but Sale was definitely going to be gone no matter what.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also I'm not saying that cutting jersey's or insulting the FO is why the Sox are blowing the team up. I'm saying that's why they were clearly going to get rid of Sale this off-season no matter what, and why they are asking so much for Quintana and are are willing to keep him on the roster into the year and hold out for the best deal(assuming no injury).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

can we agree that a retirement/semi-mutiny over a 13-year-old kid AND a dude cutting up throwback jerseys would have each been the weirdest thing to happen on major-league team and then they both happened on the white sox

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

can we agree that a retirement/semi-mutiny over a 13-year-old kid AND a dude cutting up throwback jerseys would have each been the weirdest thing to happen on major-league team and then they both happened on the white sox

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/710854066687991808

Anything that gets me to side with Reinsdorf or Kenny Williams is a miracle. The White Sox managed to do so twice this year with me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

also, this caption could have been worded better by the chicago tribune

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

also, this caption could have been worded better by the chicago tribune

quote:

“You can say, ‘That’s no place for a kid to be,’” LaRoche says. “The way I see it, he’s going to be around that regardless, unless you home-school and raise them in a bubble. I can’t think of a better place for him to be when he gets a taste of that than with me.”

oh sure he was talking about the "locker room talk" in the clubhouse

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Regardless I don't want the Astros to give up that much for Quintana

*hugs his team's prospects*

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Regardless I don't want the Astros to give up that much for Quintana

*hugs his team's prospects*

This made me look up the more prospecty guys the Royals gave up for a half year of Jonny Cueto and drat they're awful for the Reds so far (although there's plenty of time to turn things around). John Lamb in 24 starts has a 6.17 ERA. Cody Reed has 10 starts and a 7.36 ERA. Brandon Finnegan's been pretty good though and it'd be nice to have him around with the current staff.

Just nowhere near as nice as a WS championship.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Danny Espinosa to the Angels.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/PostSports/status/807743474359500800

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/807778544998907904

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

clubhouse cancer adam eaton sowing discord and strife wherever he goes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

clubhouse cancer adam eaton sowing discord and strife wherever he goes

You joke, but don't be shocked when Strasberg burns Harper's jersey one game.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

This is all too familiar to me. When the Tigers signed Prince, Brandon Inge (.548 OPS the previous season) got pissed about losing his spot and demanded a trade.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Goodbye Danny. You were super frustrating to watch but you did cool stuff sometimes and I will miss your rad facial hair.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Are these two pitchers we got anything special or did we just throw Danny into the sun for nothing?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

ArtVandelay posted:

Are these two pitchers we got anything special or did we just throw Danny into the sun for nothing?

I mean, you're not gonna get anyone's top prospects for a utility infielder. From what I read poking around Fangraphs' scouting reports on them for <5 minutes they look like a couple lotto tickets.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ArtVandelay posted:

It's Angels prospects, so...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lottery tickets can be fun, Francis Martes was a lottery ticket and now he's the Astros top prospect and probably going to be top 10 in baseball when it's updated

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ArtVandelay posted:

"Angels prospect" is an oxymoron.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sydin posted:

"Angels prospect" is an oxymoron.
Who was it they sent our way for Simba along with Aybar? Was that Sean Newcomb?

e: Aybar, Newcomb and Chris Ellis, who was recently flipped to St. Louis as part of a deal for one year of Jaime Garcia.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 11, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Lottery tickets can be fun, Francis Martes was a lottery ticket and now he's the Astros top prospect and probably going to be top 10 in baseball when it's updated

Liriano was a lottery ticket as well back in the day

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Tanner Roark was millionth-round pick acquired in a trade for the last 10 games of Christian Guzman's career. Anything is possible.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Poque posted:

And AJ Preller still has a job despite this and intentionally hiding medical information from the rest of the league

I was all aboard the fire Preller train last May or June, but he's done really well in rebuilding the farm system over the last year. Better the Padres do this than be stuck in 75-77 win hell that they've been in for the previous 5 or 6 years.
Despite the lack of payroll obligations, the offense and bullpen should be decent; it's the starting pitching that will likely be historically bad.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Intruder posted:

Ok yeah I'd be all over that

I've had worse

imasalmon and I did a hot dog eating contest where you eat as many as you can in half an inning and we both stopped well before time was up because the dollar dogs were loving horrible

I remember that. You "won" that contest by taking more years off your life than I was willing to.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/808004535167881216
I remember being told Glasnow and Talion were going to totally save the Pirates pitching problems

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

ColdBlooded posted:

I was all aboard the fire Preller train last May or June, but he's done really well in rebuilding the farm system over the last year. Better the Padres do this than be stuck in 75-77 win hell that they've been in for the previous 5 or 6 years.
Despite the lack of payroll obligations, the offense and bullpen should be decent; it's the starting pitching that will likely be historically bad.

I was pretty confused about letting Ross go though. The pitching this offseason is so bad that Jason Hammel has GMs outside his house at 3 a.m. holding up boomboxes and playing Peter Gabriel songs. I would be pretty surprised if they couldn't have gotten at least something for him in trade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/808004535167881216
I remember being told Glasnow and Talion were going to totally save the Pirates pitching problems

Taillon looked good though? 3.46 ERA across 104 IP is pretty rock solid for a 24 year old in his first major league season. Glasnow probably needs some more time in AAA, although he projects to have below average command regardless so idk :shrug:.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's Angels prospects, so...

There is no such thing. When BP did the Angels' list for the current rankings, they went through to find where the best Angels' prospect would rank in other orgs and it was like #20 for some of the best orgs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The Adam/Drake Laroche saga: still unbelievably hilarious.

• Locked thread