Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"I hear that guy's a peacemaker and a good diplomat - make sure to plug your ears and start shooting him as soon as you see him."
"Got it."
-events come to pass-
"You let him walk right through here! Why didn't you shoot him?"
"Sorry boss. We wanted to, but... he was wearing a t-shirt that said Give Peace A Chance, and it looked really good on him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Time to ratio up, very roughly anyway, San Francisco (liable to shrink rather than grow - more entries yet to come from the short story anthologies.) I already did Changeling, but for mage, there's around 1:12,000 humans in the city proper. 1 hunter on the books (Wayward, too - which might be necessary if he really is all alone in a city of 780,000 people fighting all sorts of weird poo poo. No time for morals or scruples when you are literally the Punisher.) 4 demons, so 1:194,000. Figures on vampire are very rough here but about 1:6,500 with Kuei-Jin in the mix. A minimum of around 35 changers, so 1 fera:20,000. Add it all together, with ghouls as well, 1:2500. Add wraiths, at least 1:2,400. That's the bare minimum supernatural:human ratio to support SF as depicted in the gamelines and books if all are true.

(Also, clearly that Wayward is literally the Zodiac killer, Imbued as a decrepit old man and doing what he does best.)

EDIT:
And here we have the early oWoD's attitudes summed up nicely. '"Lawyer!" Tieh spat, "Laws have become the chains by which the Technocracy binds reality into the shape of its choices!"'

That's an Akashic speaking. The Akashics, as you may recall, are one of the most 'lawful' Traditions, and include a great many Legalist and Confucian thinkers. Now in fairness, Confucian doctrine is not a blind slave to law, but it nonetheless esteems law and li especially (li being binding social customs and norms, which any legal philosopher who isn't rabidly positivist will tell you constitute an informal, unwritten law of their societies that often overrides written law) to build an orderly society in which everyone knows their place and does what they should at all times. This is not an anarchist sense of a harmonious society, but one that is rigidly segmented and strongly hierarchical. Only tiny fringe sects of the Akashics - introduced after this book was written - skew away from the basic blueprint of the orderly Akashics. It's another example of the immature and insulting view of the concept of law as banal, stupid, and limiting, confined to an understanding gleaned from watching cop shows, maybe taking a couple of 101 classes, merging with a generalized youthful 'gently caress the man' sentiment.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

bewilderment posted:

"I hear that guy's a peacemaker and a good diplomat - make sure to plug your ears and start shooting him as soon as you see him."
"Got it."
-events come to pass-
"You let him walk right through here! Why didn't you shoot him?"
"Sorry boss. We wanted to, but... he was wearing a t-shirt that said Give Peace A Chance, and it looked really good on him."

An Ascending One looks on in disbelief, his jaw wide open.

"Motherfucker! We've been trying to do that for centuries."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Cabbit posted:

Does it involve throwing a big raw steak at them and sneaking away like Bugs Bunny?

If it doesn't, find a better group. :colbert:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MonsieurChoc posted:

An Ascending One looks on in disbelief, his jaw wide open.

"Motherfucker! We've been trying to do that for centuries."

Sadly, their shirt said 'Give Peas a Chance' and nobody had the initiative to point out the error.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I still love how in OWOD, Ottawa - the capital of the goddamn country and seat of government - is a piddly nothing city with a dying Camarilla group that's completely overshadowed by the sexy Sabbat of Montréal, who actually run everything.

...Wait, I didn't mean "love". The other thing. I meant the other thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sometimes I'm glad that nobody has ever written up my home area for an RPG.

...except Greg Stolze, who called us out as the stomping ground of a demonic judge of truly fabulous corruption. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My region got handed to the Children of Gaia in Rage Across Australia. To be fair, it actually made a lot of sense.

Also, I got a good laugh the other day hearing how Standing Rock has 'revolutionized' the protest game. Our people here literally did the exact same tactics, just against a slightly less brutal force, about two years ago. We even exported one of our more bizarre but successful techniques worldwide (the knitting nannas - middle aged to elderly women who come out, knit things, and keep an eye on the protests, the police, and the politicians involved. It turns out that the same cops who might get rough with a dreadlocked hippy won't if they feel ashamed to do it with someone who reminds them of (or possibly actually is) their granny watching them, and it's real hard to look reasonable in the public eye even to real conservative people if you have a bunch of little old conservative ladies violently manhandled off the side of the road) It's exactly the sort of bullshit you'd picture the CoG thinking up.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
In Terry Pratchett's Night Watch book, the revolution puts grannies on the baracades to shame the loyalist forces into stopping. And gave them spears because nobody is quite as vicious as a little old lady with a spear and a hole around crotch height

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My home area got a RIFTS book, of all the places. Seeing the words "Ishpeming Republic" is just so loving :psypop: to me. Firefox doesn't even think the city's name is a word!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I was so happy to find out that my home city was getting its own book in the NWOD...too bad it was for Mummy :cripes:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I enjoyed the cover to the OWoD Vegas book, which perfectly captured the popular notion at the time that Vegas began and ended with the Strip.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Pleased to announce Darker Days Radio will be the official podcast for World of Darkness: Berlin http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/darker-days-radio-teams-up-with-world-of-darkness-berlin/

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So today I discovered just how serious werewolf Death Rage is in comparison to vampiric frenzy. I've played a lot of Requiem (as an Ordo, admittedly) and thought I had a pretty good handle on the 'you are one bad evening away from a killing spree' aspect of WoD characters. Holy gently caress, am I never taking the phrase "enter Wasu-Im immediately" with quite the same nonchalance ever again. An Efficient Kill escalated into my woof a) killing a whole Cornish village and b) getting into a screaming punching match with a Rank 5 spirit of Earth with the rest of the pack sprinting away holding their hands over their ears so as to not succumb to the Kuruth. The Spirit had Defense 15, I regenerated all non-aggravated damage every round. Victory: Wolf.

For real though, good job whoever wrote the Kuruth mechanics. There's some real mechanical weight to 'werewolves are rage juggernauts' above and beyond even the vampiric frenzy rules.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Frenzy's most likely to gently caress you up, especially as a vampire who's not good at fighting.

Death Rage is most likely to gently caress everyone nearby up, even if you're not good at fighting.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Yawgmoth posted:

My home area got a RIFTS book, of all the places. Seeing the words "Ishpeming Republic" is just so loving :psypop: to me. Firefox doesn't even think the city's name is a word!

Don't get me started on RIFTS Ottawa. It's a reclaimed wilderness with some bandits probably.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh God, please tell me RIFTS touched in any way on North Dakota. I can't even imagine what that train wreck would look like.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
As far as I know, my home country has only been mentioned once in an nWoD book, let alone my home city. That book was Grimoire of Grimoires, if you were wondering.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidental side note, the Kuruth is also why every half-moon that can manage it should sprint for the Gift that lets them turn Kuruth on/off in packmates.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is why I was so excited that a game acknowledged Contra Costa, even if it was CtD.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Sin of Onan posted:

As far as I know, my home country has only been mentioned once in an nWoD book, let alone my home city. That book was Grimoire of Grimoires, if you were wondering.

My country got a chapter in Dark Eras. And I think that's about it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
2E werewolf Gauru healing is still insanely stupid.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

2E werewolf Gauru healing is still insanely stupid.

2E werewolf Gauru healing is identical to your posting style.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like Ferrinus' posts

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I like Ferrinus' posts

With that, Ferrinus's burn has been completely healed

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I somehow totally forgot about Dark Eras, which does indeed have a whole New Zealand chapter. Welp, I'm dumb.

Speaking of Geist, were there ever any plans for other Geist books? Aside from Underworld, obviously, but I consider that one more of a general book that a specifically Geist one. I do like the line's concept, but it just doesn't seem like they have very much to do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
gently caress Geist, acquire Wraith

e: or a suitably serial-numbers-filed-off Wraith substitute

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Cabbit posted:

I enjoyed the cover to the OWoD Vegas book, which perfectly captured the popular notion at the time that Vegas began and ended with the Strip.

"at the time"

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
So I am almost entirely new to WoD (outside of user-stories I've read on forums and the VtM:B videogame), and I'm looking to run a game of Chronicles of Darkness 2e for a similarly unfamiliar group soon, probably VtR 2e. Does anyone have any specific advice for STing nWoD2e outside of the usual advice for GMing any game?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampire more than most nWoD games relies on players being self-directed. They need to have personal goals, whether that is 'get free of my sire' or 'vivisect a faerie so i can learn more about BLOOD SCIENCE' or 'become the Sherriff'. Vampires wanting things and loving each other over for those things is basically Vampire: How It Is Done.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

Vampire more than most nWoD games relies on players being self-directed. They need to have personal goals, whether that is 'get free of my sire' or 'vivisect a faerie so i can learn more about BLOOD SCIENCE' or 'become the Sherriff'. Vampires wanting things and loving each other over for those things is basically Vampire: How It Is Done.
To add to this, make sure your NPCs have goals too, and that those goals are a somewhat even mix of in line with, against, and/or immaterial to the PCs' goals. Maybe the faerie that PC wants to vivisect is supplying his magic blood to the prince, and so killing him requires a new source of supernatural blood for said prince. If a PC wants to be the sheriff, maybe there's an ancillae who hates the current sheriff and would like to see him fit in a matchbox. And so on. Odds are if you wanna gently caress someone over, there's a vampire in the city who wants to see them hosed over just as badly.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Does either nWoD or RIFTS even talk about Reno? Or even Nevada beyond Las Vegas?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This film Spectral isn't great but it's fun, and most importantly, it's the logical consequence of some of the events in Wraith and Orpheus. Spoiler involves a big reveal in the film, so heads up. Strip out the bit about the ghosts being made in a lab, and it's basically the escalation of the US Military's experience dealing with spectres post-Orpheus coupled with advances in the imaging technology the NSA was using to make sure no one bodyrode the president or infiltrated a nuclear site.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vanguard Warden posted:

So I am almost entirely new to WoD (outside of user-stories I've read on forums and the VtM:B videogame), and I'm looking to run a game of Chronicles of Darkness 2e for a similarly unfamiliar group soon, probably VtR 2e. Does anyone have any specific advice for STing nWoD2e outside of the usual advice for GMing any game?
The piece of advice I have is to keep in mind that Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines isn't really related to Vampire: the Requiem. Different settings and vampires work differently. (Not that Bloodlines was super close to how vampires worked in the P&P game, for that matter.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Sin of Onan posted:

I somehow totally forgot about Dark Eras, which does indeed have a whole New Zealand chapter. Welp, I'm dumb.

Speaking of Geist, were there ever any plans for other Geist books? Aside from Underworld, obviously, but I consider that one more of a general book that a specifically Geist one. I do like the line's concept, but it just doesn't seem like they have very much to do.

Presumably they'll get to a CoD version eventually which will probably at least give them something to fight against or for and not just some nebulous purpose or existence. It'll probably also balance or adjust the abilities somewhat ala Mage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Geist is on the schedule, I forget who was in charge of it, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Three Kingdoms of Darkness does make the Geist a lot more playable by giving them a lot of poo poo to do.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Loomer posted:

This film Spectral isn't great but it's fun, and most importantly, it's the logical consequence of some of the events in Wraith and Orpheus. Spoiler involves a big reveal in the film, so heads up. Strip out the bit about the ghosts being made in a lab, and it's basically the escalation of the US Military's experience dealing with spectres post-Orpheus coupled with advances in the imaging technology the NSA was using to make sure no one bodyrode the president or infiltrated a nuclear site.

Huh, might check it out. Always wanted to run something using the Operation Black Mercury stuff in the supplements - would give the Orpheus campaign a pretty different tone if you were government spooks 👻

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To a degree it works better for that angle if you imagine it's the American's first ever encounter with Projection technology, in a particularly gruesome prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

Geist is on the schedule, I forget who was in charge of it, though.

Travis Stout. (gimpinblack of this parish)