Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Just slept at the Altissia hotel and got 600k experience on each character... I feel strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was driving around at night, got out to fight a pair of iron giants, and Aranea jumps out of a dropship to help me wreck them So many nice details.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

By the time I was allowed to drive at night, when my first iron giant showed up in a big dramatic bridge showdown, I killed it in 10 seconds. They should have probably gated the side quest stuff a bit better maybe haha.

folder
Oct 9, 2016
anyone order a slice of nostalgia... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEqkBcj5qlA

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

FactsAreUseless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw

What happened to Final Fantasy?

I remember the old games very fondly. I thought they were alright. Some of them were even good (some were really good.) Is that just nostalgia? Lower expectations of quality because I was an idiot child? Were FF games always bad?

In my opinion, in the early days of Final Fantasy each new game in the series built and improved off the ones preceeding it. Square seemed to learn from each game and make the next game better/more interesting in various ways. The constant improvements that came with each successive game meant that the world, the story, and the characters got more developed and interesting as the series progressed.

I could take the time to talk about every Final Fantasy. I could ramble on about the aspects of every game and how they grew and improved with each game but that would take forever and be :spergin: so the TL;DR is that the series started with composite characters with no real drives or any personality to speak of, a vague world, and an ultimate evil that came out of loving nowhere in FF1 and developed into a game with rich, well developed characters with their own drives and unique personalities, a deep and detailed world and history, a largely comprehensible story and plot, and a known villain with a history and purpose in FF6+

So what happened to Final Fantasy? Well, here's my diagnosis.

I feel the series really started to get its bearings with FF4 and reached its pinnacle with FF6, which is the best game in the series (fight me IRL.) And that the series loses its vision, goes off the rails, and completely jumps the shark with FF7. (There is a brief reprieve with FF9, the third best game in the series, before it goes right back to being either aggressively mediocre or downright lovely.)

If Final Fantasy VI is the first best and Final Fantasy IX is the third best what's the second best?
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway, I think Final Fantasy VII is what happened to Final Fantasy. I could write up a long rear end rant about how FF7 not only sent the FF series into the toilet but also did irreparable damage to virtually all video games as a whole but I'm just going to keep it short and say that Square focused most of its energy and resources on making FF7 look as pretty and impressive as possible and the story, plot, and characters were obviously an afterthought. The game suffered for it, it really was not good and if you think it was you are wrong.

But, despite being not that good, FF7 was a commercial success. And because of FF7's massive popularity and profitability Square, along with almost the entire video game industry, embraced the trend of prioritizing graphics over actual substance with frankly depressing results.

Since FF7, the whole series has been getting progressively worse with each new game (with the exception of FF9. Also I have heard some good things about the MMO but. :shrug:) And Sqaure have made amazing design choices like padding out their games by adding in collectathon nonsense and nearly impossible to get ultimate weapons (gently caress dodging lightning.) Adding entire sections of "game play" solely designed to waste time. Where you spend actual hours of your life having no fun, doing nothing important, and not progressing the plot whatsoever. And adding in hours long battles, not boss battles, regular loving battles.

And Final Fantasy XV is shaping up to be the ultimate expression of meaningless, time wasting, unfun nonsense.

But hey, if you've got the time, check out Brainweasel's LP of FF X-2 because she makes a not good game look really good.

What a vile and diseased mentality

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just bought this game from a guy in SA-Mart, it ought to be here just in time for Christmas break! 🙌🙌🙌

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniOUlRwaMM

http://soundfxcenter.com/download-sound/starcraft-firebat-slammin-sound-effect/

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Did anyone else start hearing the Skyrim theme during the Leviathan fight

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0TcwJT4go

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Apocalypsis Aquarius.,, sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
This game is epic.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Prompto ftw.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Idk how I feel about the second half of the game.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
They give you the prompt to make sure you know you're hitting one of the points of no return that closes off the open world but I didn't expect it to last the next 10 hours.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is FF Type-0 HD any good?

I didn't like it at all. It throws a ton of stuff combat wise at you without explaining what character does what. Iirc you have like 12 party members in the first 10 minutes. There wasn't a lot of engaging stuff in it and it was kinda bland overall

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh Long Johnson posted:

They give you the prompt to make sure you know you're hitting one of the points of no return that closes off the open world but I didn't expect it to last the next 10 hours.
ah, The Witcher 3 influence at work.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
my name is cloud, I have a sword

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

rediscover posted:

my name is cloud, I have a sword

Greetings, Cloud.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I can't wait for the patch that will presumably let you recruit Cor, Iris, etc. though I havent' gotten that far (chapter 3) so IDK if they already stay in your party at some point.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Did anyone else start hearing the Skyrim theme during the Leviathan fight

I did.

Holy crap does the combat feel rewarding when you get good at it. Zipping around wrecking fools, hopping up on some 50ft high post while commanding your bros to wreck fools with their neat skills. So much win.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Overwhelm is so broken lol.

It almost makes up for all the Tempests that Gladio misses.

Dec 26, 2012

ffxv owns so far. just started though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Alright everybody. Post your chosen chocobo colors.

Noctis - White (Unique and pure)
Gladiolus - Red (Strong and sure)
Ignis - Lavender (Smart and meticulous)
Prompto - Teal (Fun and young)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Can't wait to buy this next weekend

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Noctis: gray
Gladiolus: red
Ignis: lavender
Prompto: bright orange

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Same here but December 21st

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Noctis: cinnabar, the fiery hearted prince
Gladiolus: pale blue, the steel knight
Ignis: pale green, the verdant mind
Prompto: lavender, the gay guy

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Noct: Default yellow
Gladio: Gray
Prompto: Green
Ignus: Ruby red

I like how important they made Chocobos in this game. Only wish you could permanently buy rather than have to rent constantly.

I also found the altissa arena for the first time in over 40 hours. Interesting spin on that format. Vuvuzelas as final fantasy items.

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

Agean90 posted:

I was driving around at night, got out to fight a pair of iron giants, and Aranea jumps out of a dropship to help me wreck them So many nice details.

thats sick, i never had that happen

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I didn't know you could change the color of not-Noct's chocobos. It's dumb that you need to re-rent the chocobo all the time though, why can't I just buy it or catch my own like FF7?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
my chocobos are blue red orange and purple because the dudes are the ninja turtles obviously

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

my chocobos are blue red orange and purple because the dudes are the ninja turtles obviously

I may steal this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prompto does machines.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

yeah but ignis has glasses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

yeah but ignis has glasses.
Ignis is cool but rude.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

goferchan posted:

Nevermind i'm spending hundreds of dollars on Overwatch holiday loot boxes instead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

goferchan posted:

Nevermind i'm spending hundreds of dollars on Overwatch holiday loot boxes instead

bro