Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

devtesla posted:

They'll do Worlds in season 2 and the Olympics in season 3.

God I hope so. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

devtesla posted:

And then wedding planning in Season 4... :swoon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was gonna write about how the grand prix is the perfect example of how something 'minor' can mean so much more to someone with the right emotions attached and all, and how one of the major themes of the show is seeing the value in 'small' things even if you feel you should be above them.

But then

Sunning posted:

It just so happens that the channel that has the rights to broadcasting the real life Grand Prix series, TV Asahi, also broadcasts Yuri On Ice. Rival channel Fuji TV One usually wins the rights to Japanese nationals, Four Continents, Worlds, and even the European championships on occasion.

yea it's this.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
Johnny Weir is enjoying the show so far :allears:
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/807442786127585280

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/807437964187930624

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"How much better my twenties would have been if skating was really like this..." hits you like a brick :(

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

devtesla posted:

"How much better my twenties would have been if skating was really like this..." hits you like a brick :(

Yup. It's sad.

I get where the criticisms about YOI being too rosy come from and all that (and I know there are cultural issues at play there, though I have zero right to discuss that as I'm an American) but honestly, speaking as a queer person I sort of like it that it's just there and it's not a problem or an issue.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Adel posted:

I added the scores just to show how big the spread was, hope you don't mind (and sorry for IRL skate chat, there doesn't seem to be a figure skating megathread on SA). For reference reaching or passing the 100 mark is Hot poo poo territory and what the top skaters aim for, and 90s/high 80s is what you would expect to see from the finalists.
Don't mind at all, there was a limited amount of C&P I wanted to be doing.

Looking forward to all of the FS tomorrow!

Johnny's posts are exactly what we wanted.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 10, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

devtesla posted:

It really does, Weir was done dirty by the skating community and media during his prime just because he was bombastic and gave no fucks about being traditionally masculine or staying in the closet. He didn't get the credit he deserved.

And while Viktor's career is loosely a mirror of Plushenko's, I think his personality and style are probably inspired a bit by Weir himself.

I can't wait till he gets to the episode where flashback Viktor wears his dying swan outfit and flower crown :allears:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hahaha he's going to go nuts over that flower crown, I hope. :dings:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

devtesla posted:

Please let this be true.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yup. It's sad.

I get where the criticisms about YOI being too rosy come from and all that (and I know there are cultural issues at play there, though I have zero right to discuss that as I'm an American) but honestly, speaking as a queer person I sort of like it that it's just there and it's not a problem or an issue.

I totally agree. As a gay guy myself, I love this fictional world where being gay is not an issue at all. Shows that depict the real challenges we face in the real world are also nice, but I just want a happy story from time to time. It's similar to my growing dislike of Game of Thrones like shows, I just don't want to watch grimdark series 100% of the time.

And I really appreciate the RL ice skating chat. I even watched the perfomances of Evgenia and of the guys. I hope somebody posts the results of the women's short program.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't know where to get scores, but do watch this lovely performance from the juniors' final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafctusmvjc

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The women are done!

Gold: Evegnia Medvedeva (WTF at her FS store even with that first flubbed jump, seriously)
Silver: Satoko Miyahara
Bronze: Anna Pogorilaya

Jump on the stream HERE (should work regardless of country) to check out the men in 20 minutes.

Edit:
Shoma Uno broke 195 in the FS. IT'S ON.
Adam Rippon fell three times.
Nathan Chen had a jaw-dropping 113 for TES and obliterated his previous best for FS.
Yuzuru fell but is still in 1st for now.
Javier was charming as always, but was clearly struggling.
Patrick Chan also had problems and a lousy TES.

So, men's podium:
Gold: Yuzuru Hanyu (4th year!)
Silver: Nathan Chen (4 quads and the only completely clean skate!)
Bronze: Shoma Uno (So close to hitting silver!)

The guy interviewing the winners has hilarious pronunciation. The way he says Yuzuru Hanyu is the most French thing.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Congrats Evegnia!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Man, Yuzuru is just unstoppable. Nathan Chen had an amazing FS as well.
Evegenia is still just the best.

Patrick Chan's FS was pretty heartbreaking to watch, it just went so poorly. I felt so bad for him there.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That was lovely. Javier Fernandez is my favorite. I love Javier Fernandez. Shame about the fall. Congrats to Yuzuru and Evgenia!

Does ELTA usually broadcast FS events on their YouTube channel live like this? It's nice to have a stream that just works.

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012
Adam Rippon will always win in my heart :unsmith:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
What a great FS, I'm so proud of Shoma Uno and Nathan Chen. Both gave amazing season best performances and earned their places on the podium. Chen especially, he grows and improves with every skate and I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks the 300 points mark in the next few seasons. And Shoma, drat son, that performance gave me goosebumps.

I like how a "mediocre" fs from Hanyu is still a gold medal performance, he's really untouchable right now and for a good reason.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, rewatching episode 6, the banquet from the previous year gets mentioned in the background of the dub when Prichit, Guang Hong Ji, and Leo de la Iglesia are taking pictures of Viktor, Chris, and Yuri. Not sure if that really needed to be spoiled but just in case.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Incidentally, what's the correct way to pronounce "Phitchit"?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, what's the correct way to pronounce "Phitchit"?

Pi-jit. He's named after a place in Thailand.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Does anyone else wander around with the theme tune constantly in their head? :saddowns:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The_Doctor posted:

Does anyone else wander around with the theme tune constantly in their head? :saddowns:

All the time. Whenever there is a rush at work it always seems to kick in to keep me on my toes.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

The_Doctor posted:

I've found myself humming it while at the office. Often. And then I cry to myself because if my dreams would come true I wouldn't be in an office.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I sway to it at bus stations all the time. :kimchi:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Singing along while driving, right here

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

Singing along while driving, right here

:same:

Every time it comes up on my playlist I turn the volume up and start singing.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/oriontails/status/807804022140739584

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Those 8 months in Hasetsu must have been pretty hard for Victor's liver.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Viktor's greatest rival: katsudon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh my god dude had the guy who was begging him to come over suddenly say the true subject of his love is a pork bowl.

I need to rewatch the older episodes now and just note how many hilarious heartbreaks Viktor got while Yuri was being a dumbass closet case

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I've been sick so I've rewatched a bit and yeah, it changes things so much.

I wish I could be smug about my statement that ultimately Yuuri would be the playboy but I was right for super wrong reasons.

I like it that basically none of us saw this coming :)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MattTheDoctor posted:

All the time. Whenever there is a rush at work it always seems to kick in to keep me on my toes.

Same. It's so inspiring.

Most boys-almost-kissing animes: "Oh, nice, this is actually almost funny"

Yuri On Ice: "I need to become a better person. I should be out improving myself, body and soul"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This show has single-handedly redeemed anime and yes, even the onerous matter of existence, in my eyes. I binged through the available episodes and the conclusion to episode 10 destroyed my soul.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blue Nation posted:

Those 8 months in Hasetsu must have been pretty hard for Victor's liver.

Please. He's Russian.

Also,
https://twitter.com/_meccchi/status/807972910518403072

https://twitter.com/_meccchi/status/807623838330593280

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is illegal

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

You can check out Yuuri's RL Free Skate costume at Kubo's twitter.
I don't know how to embed tweets :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blue Nation posted:

You can check out Yuuri's RL Free Skate costume at Kubo's twitter.
I don't know how to embed tweets :(

Just add the URL like normal! SA works out the embedding all by itself! :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just ctrl c ctrl v the url of the tweet and the forums will do the rest for you.

https://twitter.com/ kubo_3260/status/808283635656687616?lang=en

https://twitter.com/kubo_3260/status/808283635656687616?lang=en

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

oh my god dude had the guy who was begging him to come over suddenly say the true subject of his love is a pork bowl.

I need to rewatch the older episodes now and just note how many hilarious heartbreaks Viktor got while Yuri was being a dumbass closet case
There are so many of these. I had wondered why Victor looked sad while performing Eros for Yuri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

The animal print lining on ninja Yurio :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

• Locked thread