Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Stormgale posted:

Can someone explain what's being alluded to in the latest Dr McNinja?

It's probably Old McNinja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Numero6 posted:

It's probably Old McNinja.

Probably, but then King Rad chainsawed him through the chest. Or I guess that was the actual Doc? I look forward to seeing how Hastings writes his way out of this one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Stormgale posted:

The doc took pizza to Ben's grave at some point after he died, fulfilling a promise of some kind that I forget.

I think the implication must be that this guy is Old McNinja somehow or is otherwise not the McNinja who delivered the pizza. Only, I have no idea how this could actually be the case, so.

EDIT: For that matter I'm also not sure if taking his mask off would show a difference between Doc and Old.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing the prez just unmasked a random mook that Doc dressed up in his clothes, and is about to get his face kicked by a naked Doc.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Rand Brittain posted:

The doc took pizza to Ben's grave at some point after he died, fulfilling a promise of some kind that I forget.

I think the implication must be that this guy is Old McNinja somehow or is otherwise not the McNinja who delivered the pizza. Only, I have no idea how this could actually be the case, so.

EDIT: For that matter I'm also not sure if taking his mask off would show a difference between Doc and Old.

Old McNinja is definitely dead and hanging out with Ben at the worst restaurant in existence, but that doesn't mean Raynor is standing over a dead McNinja.
Dan talked about the mask being a last resort for a ninja, that they could pull off the mask and disappear into a crowd. I'm guessing that trick is going to come up in the next few pages.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ninja tricks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Death shooing all of McNinja's old enemies away is a brilliant background detail.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The pizza was Ben's last piece of unfinished business, and once he had it he wasn't a ghost anymore. Now Old Patrick McNinja is in Purgatory, but Dr. Patrick McNinja isn't, and Raynor will realize that when he sees the face of the corpse he's unmasking, just before he dies.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It also means that Patricks "hands gripped over face" expression 3 pages back wasn't an "I'm so hosed" face, it was him tugging it his mask.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Old McNinja died in this same building, just a dozen minutes ago or so. It's probably him we're seeing showing up at the afterlife right now (he doesn't know the story with Ben Franklin and the pizza).

Of course, that corpse they're looking at is wearing a lab coat, and Old had shed his. So maybe Dr put his labcoat on Old to trick them, or he's just playing dead, and this whole flash-to-afterlife thing is just simple audience misleading. Or there's some even more clever trick I'm missing.

But the "mask as a last resort" thing doesn't work, because Franz knows what Patrick looks like under the mask.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 8, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This being McNinja, if it weren't for Death calling him Patrick, I'd put my money on it being Chuck Goodrich. Because it's always Chuck Goodrich.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What if McNinja unmasked is Goodrich? :lost:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm 800 pages into Dr McNinja. Still not halfway through. :eng99: It's good, but King Radical feels kind of forced; they even acknowledge in the comic that McNinja has no good reason to keep going after him again and again, but rather than fix that they just keep bringing him back until he's had enough screen time to justify him being a regular.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm 800 pages into Dr McNinja. Still not halfway through. :eng99: It's good, but King Radical feels kind of forced; they even acknowledge in the comic that McNinja had no good reason to keep going after him again and again, but rather than fix that they just keep bringing him back until he's had enough screen time to justify him being a regular.

That's probably the biggest criticism of the comic. Radical basically pulls a Joker in that he twists every arc to be about him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They do eventually establish Radical as an actual world-class threat, but it definitely takes a long time getting there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Stormgale posted:

I came here hoping to ask the same thing.

I'm not sure if the answers so far have actually helped, 'cause I'm still pretty confused. Probably because I don't remember anything about Franklin and pizza.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It's resolved in the the epilogue of "Punch Dracula"

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p52/

I'm guessing the cut-off line is something like "Oh no, I'm Old McNinja." Ben probably thinks he's talking to the actual Doc, but Old is just correcting him.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 8, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PunkBoy posted:

It's resolved in the the epilogue of "Punch Dracula"

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p52/

I'm guessing the cut-off line is something like "Oh no, I'm Old McNinja." Ben probably thinks he's talking to the actual Doc, but Old is just correcting him.

Right, because this is Doc finally using the last resort of the Ninja. He has demasked and set up a corpse to look like him. Franz, having seen what Doc actually looks like, will realize this a split second too late upon demasking the body.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At which point the corpse explodes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

They do eventually establish Radical as an actual world-class threat, but it definitely takes a long time getting there.

When "the most radical man in the radical land" was just a catchphrase it was fine, the existence of an actual real 'radical land' was bad and uncool.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tunicate posted:

When "the most radical man in the radical land" was just a catchphrase it was fine, the existence of an actual real 'radical land' was bad and uncool.

But Sparklelord was amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm waiting to catch up for DrMcNinja to be done (since otherwise I forget plot points), but I have a few of the books and it's a damned good comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tunicate posted:

What, don't you like third wave ninja turtle toys?

Honestly, the one moment that justified all the set-up with King Radical for me was that it's always Chuck Goodrich.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm, 'be seated with your killer'.

Yup, checking back, it does look like it's the dudes that were going after Old.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Or perhaps it was the MOST RAD.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello friends. i am a program.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

hello friends. i am a program.

How are you fairing with the bird penis anus?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

It also means that Patricks "hands gripped over face" expression 3 pages back wasn't an "I'm so hosed" face, it was him tugging it his mask.

Between that and this we already saw his entire plan in action without knowing it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I do think it's a little cheap to show us a scene of Old McNinja entering purgatory just after the bombs hit. The guy died way earlier! If you're going to play around with unmarked flashbacks to mislead your reader, seems like it should be for a bigger twist than the one we got.

Even so, it worked, so no hard feelings.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ditocoaf posted:

I do think it's a little cheap to show us a scene of Old McNinja entering purgatory just after the bombs hit. The guy died way earlier! If you're going to play around with unmarked flashbacks to mislead your reader, seems like it should be for a bigger twist than the one we got.

Even so, it worked, so no hard feelings.

Who says it's a flashback? There's a line to get in, too

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

massive spider posted:

Ooh, nice catch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Between that and this we already saw his entire plan in action without knowing it.

Nice catch.

In Poppy news, how about that implicitly horrifying life story :catstare:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Being poor and and living in a society that hates you is rough stuff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I like how it's looking to turn out that every article of news from this page in Bad Machinery is tied together.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

I like how it's looking to turn out that every article of news from this page in Bad Machinery is tied together.

Three out of the four are related to fluids showing up in places they shouldn't.

Obviously the cause is fracking.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the k6bd thread just got closed and i'm going to take my wrath out on this thread. you ship of fools

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avshalom posted:

the k6bd thread just got closed and i'm going to take my wrath out on this thread. you ship of fools

klungerchunk

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i shall destroy this thread with the force of my passion. my legs spin around rapidly until my vagina turns into an insatiable vortex

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avshalom posted:

i shall destroy this thread with the force of my passion. my legs spin around rapidly until my vagina turns into an insatiable vortex

stop spoiling the character designs from my future webcomic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Avshalom posted:

Wait do you mean closed because it was massively lovely or something else.

• Locked thread