Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah i'm sure he's gonna retire on that.

he made less than basically anyone in equivalent position in on a campaign or especially in private sector.

you're drat good at missing the point lol. the vast majority of Americans see a salary of 120k and think that's a vast amount of cash. poo poo that's like 4 times what I make lmao. its a matter of perspective. saying it's "just 120k" is like making GBS threads on people who will never earn that much

e: in-edquality balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

you're drat good at missing the point lol. the vast majority of Americans see a salary of 120k and think that's a vast amount of cash. poo poo that's like 4 times what I make lmao. its a matter of perspective. saying it's "just 120k" is like making GBS threads on people who will never earn that much

ok well the vast majority of americans do not run billion dollar organizations that elect the president of the united states. $120k is not that amazing, and i would hardly say anyone was "getting rich" because they got paid in proportion to their responsibilities. again, many consultants in the past have made millions of dollars off of their campaigns and that didn't happen with hfa.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

you probably could not retire at $120k, from a single year of income, living in brooklyn, after taxes, in your early 30s. unless you're really loving frugal. $120k/y would be around the 90th percentile of american income - good, but about the same as a well-paid engineer. i am really not sure why so many people here are gawking at $120k/y like it's some insane and incomprehensible amount of money. it's not?

Jesus loving Christ you are so out of touch. We don't need guys like you in our campaigns. I know you're tying to "help" and do what you think is the right thing. But please, guys like you, Mook, benenson, the Clintons, need to stay the gently caress away from politics.

$120k is a poo poo ton of money, and no one should get paid that amount for losing something so important.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"120k isn't some insane and incomprehensible amount of money" - a neoliberal

come down to rural Georgia and ask some of the poultry plant workers or hardware store clerks how much 120k is lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
HAHAHA. The thread title.

Anyway, I honestly don't want to give you too much poo poo, and I appreciate you sharing your experience, but I really feel like this:

i agree that the message testing structure that dems use is flawed, but that's not necessarily hfa's fault. that's the entire campaign consultant class on both sides of the aisle, except for donald trump who just did whatever. literally everyone does it the way hfa did it. it would be somewhat absurd to single them out as incompetent for following standard practices.

Is something that needs to be examined. Conventional campaign wisdom seems less important to me, then actual positions on poo poo that matters to the people you want to vote for you.

But maybe you are just talking about messaging, and not the message.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i'd be so loving ripped if i made $15,000 a month

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ok well the vast majority of americans do not run billion dollar organizations that elect the president of the united states. $120k is not that amazing, and i would hardly say anyone was "getting rich" because they got paid in proportion to their responsibilities. again, many consultants in the past have made millions of dollars off of their campaigns and that didn't happen with hfa.

So was Mook responsible for the operation or was he not? Also, no, we got our asses handed to us so as far as I'm concerned they don't deserve a penny of that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I still can't believe we trusted a man named robby mook tbh

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lock her up

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

I still can't believe we trusted a man named robby mook tbh

And he was in charge of another major losing campaign before Hillary hired him lol

It's almost like the connections you have are more important than your actual skills

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

And he was in charge of another major losing campaign before Hillary hired him lol

It's almost like the connections you have are more important than your actual skills
Nepotism begets nepotism and thus we had Hillary as the losing candidate of 2016.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Also how do you know this? Over a billion dollars was "officially" spent for the Hillary 2016 campaign, where did that money go? Was it actually the number of people in the campaign? Because I find that doubtful to me.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't know how i feel about this russian poo poo, on one hand it would be a huge save to remove trump from power for the safty of the country, on the other hand if Hillary get the office it means the neoliberals will learn nothing and we just go back sheep buying brands because they give 2 dollors to gay rights, and in 2020 we will just get republicans in the white house anyways.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cyron posted:

I don't know how i feel about this russian poo poo, on one hand it would be a huge save to remove trump from power for the safty of the country, on the other hand if Hillary get the office it means the neoliberals will learn nothing and we just go back sheep buying brands because they give 2 dollors to gay rights, and in 2020 we will just get republicans in the white house anyways.
deep statist theorycrafters are thinking of putting Kasich through the house vote if the electoral college pulls its pants up (it won't)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Tight Booty Shorts will run for President in 2028 and has already started vetting SA posters as part of his future campaign

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

come down to rural Georgia and ask some of the poultry plant workers or hardware store clerks how much 120k is lol

so how much should jeff weaver have gotten paid? he made $118k/y and he lost. like, actually what is the proper amount to pay someone who runs a national campaign?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

HAHAHA. The thread title.

Anyway, I honestly don't want to give you too much poo poo, and I appreciate you sharing your experience, but I really feel like this:

Is something that needs to be examined. Conventional campaign wisdom seems less important to me, then actual positions on poo poo that matters to the people you want to vote for you.

But maybe you are just talking about messaging, and not the message.

when i say message testing, i mean the process by which campaigns find their message. first you focus group and ask randos a lot of questions, then some guys distill hours of conversation from a bunch of focus groups into various key issues of concern. the campaign comes up with answers to these (hopefully aligning with the candidate's actual values, although not every campaign is exactly ethical) and poll tests them all. then they take the top testing issues and convert them into the campaign's message. they may also drill down into certain constituency groups that they find it strategically valuable to deal with. that's the science of campaigns and it's standard practice. however, i personally think this process makes cookie-cutter campaigns that are increasingly transparent to voters. i actually think that was part of the reason sander's message was so compelling - both the message and the candidate were raw and conveyed an authenticity that you couldn't find with clinton.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Serf posted:

it's almost like certain amounts of money correlate to different economic statuses depending on where you live

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
remember when trump was robbing his campaign blind and it was just scam. lamo. hfa more like hfu

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Baloogan posted:

remember when trump was robbing his campaign blind and it was just scam. lamo. hfa more like hfu

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i can say with certaintly that me and at least 85% of all americans will never make more than six figures.

also are we talking about the guy who ran the hillary campaign? cause if so 120k is a lot for someone who hosed up the job and lost lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Also how do you know this? Over a billion dollars was "officially" spent for the Hillary 2016 campaign, where did that money go? Was it actually the number of people in the campaign? Because I find that doubtful to me.

it's what i know about how the hfa contracts worked - they specifically demanded anyone working for them get a flat fee because they did not want to get fleeced. you can look at the fec reports too - i know i did - and you'll see the only consultants getting huge money directed toward them are media buyers, many campaigns pay media buyers a percentage of the buy, but hfa did not. so virtually all that money went to actually buying ads. you sometimes see campaigns that also contract out their online fundraising to firms and only see a percentage of the overall money raised, but hfa did that all internally to save money.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Running a national media program is a job that probably demands a lot more than $120k. I'm certain Kellyanne made more than that in her 3 months with Trump.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Reminder Mook said he would "rather lose than win" in any context despite running a campaign.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Homeless Friend posted:

Reminder Mook said he would "rather lose than win" in any context despite running a campaign.

that was jennifer palmieri, the communications director. she was not very good imo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

A billion dollars worth of pizza and anal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

that was jennifer palmieri, the communications director. she was not very good imo

lol poo poo you're right, aw well

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

The important question is how much Peter Daou got paid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baloogan posted:

he tried his best to lose so he could pocket the balance and make up his own TV station but Hillary just wouldn't let him lose

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Uh. I could retire on $120k

How?

Tell me your secret.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Recruited as a child soldier in the increasingly violent and unstable streets of Lebanon, all to prepare him for the true threat that lay ahead

Complaining about Bernie Bros on twitter from a luxury home.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

when i say message testing, i mean the process by which campaigns find their message. first you focus group and ask randos a lot of questions, then some guys distill hours of conversation from a bunch of focus groups into various key issues of concern. the campaign comes up with answers to these (hopefully aligning with the candidate's actual values, although not every campaign is exactly ethical) and poll tests them all. then they take the top testing issues and convert them into the campaign's message. they may also drill down into certain constituency groups that they find it strategically valuable to deal with. that's the science of campaigns and it's standard practice. however, i personally think this process makes cookie-cutter campaigns that are increasingly transparent to voters. i actually think that was part of the reason sander's message was so compelling - both the message and the candidate were raw and conveyed an authenticity that you couldn't find with clinton.

So I guess we sort of agree. Focus grouping is useful for a faceless "brand," but if you have to run on some carefully constructed image, instead of being a face for your message, maybe you aren't cut out for being a politician?

As a principled politician you should use marketing to sell your message, not adapt your message to what the marketing tells you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

At some point youre going to have to come to terms with the fact that a gotv program that fails to win the election because it didn't turn out the vote in the states that matter was actually a really bad gotv program. The popular vote is dumb garbage for idiots. Hillary turning out lots of people in safe blue states while pissing away battleground states means she actually ran a really lovely gotv program based on some really suspect 'science' that maybe should be thrown in a dumpster and started from scratch.

I swear you're like one of those quant idiots protesting that 'No really, the algorithms were good!' in the wake of the 2008 meltdown.

quote:

3. i am very much aware that the campaign's strategy was a bad one - that is obvious, but it wasn't dysfunctional. as i said before, they were making arguably correct decisions given the data they had - they just didn't have the correct data and did not do the work they needed to do to validate their data

Do you not get how insanely dumb this is? 'They made correct decisions, they just didnt have the right data or do any of the work to validate that data'. That means they made incredibly stupid decisions. Collecting and verifying data is part of the decision making progress! Not a thing you do if youve got the time! If you arent verifying your assumptions and doing your best to collect quality data, nothing else matters. They made dumb rear end decisions. Bad decisions. There is no possible way to make a good decision with a data game that hosed up. You cannot decide the answer is 4 if you never actually verified the numbers were 2 and 2, or the requested operation was even addition!

quote:

i'm not talking about bernie. the mere fact that hillary isn't an incumbent meant that she had to build a staff quickly and draw from a pool of people who had never worked for her, unlike obama who 1. had years to staff out and 2. could draw from a huge pool of '08 alumni who all wanted to work for him.

How does the defacto queen of the Democratic Establishment, who ran a campaign in 2008, who got ready for her run in 20 loving 14 and had probably been planning it since 2008, not have staff ready to go in every state? HOW IS SHE THAT poo poo AT POLITICS!? Its only her loving life long ambition! Everyone knew she was going to run years ago!

And of course, even if she did have trouble getting good staff, you would think listening to Bill would be part of her strategy, but she blew him off because Hillary is insanely bad and incompetent, as was her entire staff.

quote:

regardless, i think hillary actually did a pretty good job at this. i have qualms with various staffing decisions that were made (in particular a bloated management structure created by the desire to promote junior staffers who worked during the primary). her efforts were vastly superior to obama '08, which was a shitshow papered over by the quality of the candidate.

You're insane.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

So I guess we sort of agree. Focus grouping is useful for a faceless "brand," but if you have to run on some carefully constructed image, instead of being a face for your message, maybe you aren't cut out for being a politician?

As a principled politician you should use marketing to sell your message, not adapt your message to what the marketing tells you.

i would say, imagine you were a campaign manager for a first time candidate. you know how your candidate thinks about politics - how do you turn those thoughts and positions into a message you can sell to people? polling and focus groups are useful for this because it makes it easy to sieve out stuff that people don't care about and make a campaign that is relevant to the concerns real people have - plus, it makes it easier to avoid shaping a campaign that markets toward your own biases. but too many people consider that to be the whole shebang when it comes to messaging and that's a big problem. there's definitely an art to writing compelling messages and that has been overlooked in recent campaigns. nick gourevitch, a dem pollster, wrote a pretty good article about it:

https://medium.com/@nickgourevitch/rethinking-data-driven-campaigns-a7371c202d5e#.fl6yp7kk4

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the left is hosed if they keep falling for a concern troll named concerned citizen lmao

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

anime was right posted:

the left is hosed if they keep falling for a concern troll named concerned citizen lmao

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

anime was right posted:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

anime was right posted:

the left is hosed

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Not a Step posted:

At some point youre going to have to come to terms with the fact that a gotv program that fails to win the election because it didn't turn out the vote in the states that matter was actually a really bad gotv program. The popular vote is dumb garbage for idiots. Hillary turning out lots of people in safe blue states while pissing away battleground states means she actually ran a really lovely gotv program based on some really suspect 'science' that maybe should be thrown in a dumpster and started from scratch.

I swear you're like one of those quant idiots protesting that 'No really, the algorithms were good!' in the wake of the 2008 meltdown.

ok well what you call suspect "science" is actually repeatedly validated studies over two decades that dictate standard practice as to how to turn out voters. these are not game-changers - we can increase the likelihood of a mid-propensity voter making it to the polls by 8% if we knock on their door on the saturday before election day. a good mail piece might hit 2-3%. they did not focus on turning out people in safe blue states - they spent millions and millions of dollars on battleground state turnout. maybe the program did not do as well as you'd hope - there's literally no way to know that until the voter turnout histories come out. but i can say that if there was a turnout issue anywhere, it was because 1. the tageting was sub-optimal and 2. because the gotv program is only part of the story - you can do voter contact until the cows come home but that's only going to get you so far. you have to have a candidate that compels people to the polls. you can't gotv your way to victory.

quote:

Do you not get how insanely dumb this is? 'They made correct decisions, they just didnt have the right data or do any of the work to validate that data'. That means they made incredibly stupid decisions. Collecting and verifying data is part of the decision making progress! Not a thing you do if youve got the time! If you arent verifying your assumptions and doing your best to collect quality data, nothing else matters. They made dumb rear end decisions. Bad decisions. There is no possible way to make a good decision with a data game that hosed up. You cannot decide the answer is 4 if you never actually verified the numbers were 2 and 2, or the requested operation was even addition!

and i think if you're going to blame anyone for that, it's probably elan kriegel, the head of hfa analytics. i mean, it was a lot of the same people who did the vaunted obama '12 data program. and they come and say "the data program you gave us $50 million to build is spectacular. and here's what our data says," why would you question it? when the models have succeeded in accurately predicting the vote share in 2 consecutive elections, why would you think this is the time they'd fail? obviously, they should have questioned it. but it's hard to say "oh they didn't collect and verify the data" - they thought they did. that's what they were spending all that money on, surely? well, they were wrong and it was a mistake to not be collecting that field data that would have shown otherwise. possibly a fatal decision.

quote:

How does the defacto queen of the Democratic Establishment, who ran a campaign in 2008, who got ready for her run in 20 loving 14 and had probably been planning it since 2008, not have staff ready to go in every state? HOW IS SHE THAT poo poo AT POLITICS!? Its only her loving life long ambition! Everyone knew she was going to run years ago!

And of course, even if she did have trouble getting good staff, you would think listening to Bill would be part of her strategy, but she blew him off because Hillary is insanely bad and incompetent, as was her entire staff.

she had no problem getting senior-level staff, but hiring mid-level and junior-level staffers before a campaign exists is impossible and they make up the bulk of your hires. and i think the reason why no one wants to listen to bill is because he blew up hillary '08 with his forceful "advice" and no one ever forgave him for that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ok well what you call suspect "science" is actually repeatedly validated studies over two decades that dictate standard practice as to how to turn out voters. these are not game-changers - we can increase the likelihood of a mid-likelihood voter making it to the polls by 8% if we knock on their door on the saturday before election day. a good mail piece might hit 2-3%. they did not focus on turning out people in safe blue states - they spent millions and millions of dollars on battleground state turnout. maybe the program did not do as well as you'd hope - there's literally no way to know that until the voter turnout histories come out. but i can say that if there was a turnout issue anywhere, it was because 1. the tageting was sub-optimal and 2. because the gotv program is only part of the story - you can do voter contact until the cows come home but that's only going to get you so far. you have to have a candidate that compels people to the polls. you can't gotv your way to victory.

and i think if you're going to blame anyone for that, it's probably elan kriegel, the head of hfa analytics. i mean, it was a lot of the same people who did the vaunted obama '12 data program. and they come and say "the data program you gave us $50 million to build is spectacular. and here's what our data says," why would you question it? when the models have succeeded in accurately predicting the vote share in 2 consecutive elections, why would you think this is the time they'd fail? obviously, they should have questioned it. but it's hard to say "oh they didn't collect and verify the data" - they thought they did. that's what they were spending all that money on, surely? well, they were wrong and it was a mistake to not be collecting that field data.

she had no problem getting senior-level staff, but hiring mid-level and junior-level staffers before a campaign exists is impossible and they make up the bulk of your hires. and i think the reason why no one wants to listen to bill is because he blew up hillary '08 with his forceful "advice" and no one ever forgave him for that.

at least you're trying harder than fulchrum, props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its like listening to a Wall Street quant post 2008. The algorithm cannot fail. It can only be failed.

• Locked thread