Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Remember that it barely saw play before BFZ and fecthland duals standard. (mardoodoo)

It saw plenty of play in fate reformed and dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ThePeavstenator posted:

Wasn't Sultai basically only playable because of Whip?

The was a (non-Whip) control-ish variant during Fate Reforged that won with Dig and big PWs, with Satyr Wayfinder as a delve enabler. Also initially played Khan's Mind Rot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

It saw plenty of play in fate reformed and dragons.

I don't remember.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I don't remember.
you dont remember sidisi whip?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

you dont remember sidisi whip?

We're talking about Crackling Doom.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

The was a (non-Whip) control-ish variant during Fate Reforged that won with Dig and big PWs, with Satyr Wayfinder as a delve enabler. Also initially played Khan's Mind Rot.

I still love that art.

"Oh my GOD please stop telling me about this garbage, UGH!"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

I've been playing this stupid game for almost 20 years now and want to start collecting some random type of card just for shits-and-giggles. I was toying with one of each dragon (because I'm a nerd and dragons are cool) or maybe planeswalkers (pricey option, but they're pretty new and don't really represent my memories of the early game). I even thought about one of each basic land art, but that'd mostly be just a bunch of $0.03 cards, the Unglued/Unhinged ones, and the Guru lands.

Then I realized I'm an avid fan of the casual clusterfuck that is Commander, so why not get one of each legendary creature ever printed? I checked prices and it looks like if I ignore crazy poo poo like the Phyrexian language Elesh Norn ($550+), the most expensive card would be Angus Mackenzie at like $75. Plus there are currently 665 legendary creatures, so that's a decent size collection of mostly crappy cards!

Now to find a suitably nerdy fancy card binder portfolio thing to put them all in...

There's a dude at my lgs has done this. It's a cool aspiration.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So who all is going to GP Milwaukee? Maybe we can cube after we all open nothing of value and scrub out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

So who all is going to GP Milwaukee? Maybe we can cube after we all open nothing of value and scrub out.

At worst, meet us at Enlightened Brewing Company on Saturday night.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There's a dude at my lgs has done this. It's a cool aspiration.

Does he have all 665 (current) legendary creatures?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aranan posted:

Does he have all 665 (current) legendary creatures?

Yeah, I wonder how he got the 1996 world champion.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Aranan posted:

I've been playing this stupid game for almost 20 years now and want to start collecting some random type of card just for shits-and-giggles. I was toying with one of each dragon (because I'm a nerd and dragons are cool) or maybe planeswalkers (pricey option, but they're pretty new and don't really represent my memories of the early game). I even thought about one of each basic land art, but that'd mostly be just a bunch of $0.03 cards, the Unglued/Unhinged ones, and the Guru lands.

Then I realized I'm an avid fan of the casual clusterfuck that is Commander, so why not get one of each legendary creature ever printed? I checked prices and it looks like if I ignore crazy poo poo like the Phyrexian language Elesh Norn ($550+), the most expensive card would be Angus Mackenzie at like $75. Plus there are currently 665 legendary creatures, so that's a decent size collection of mostly crappy cards!

Now to find a suitably nerdy fancy card binder portfolio thing to put them all in...

What do you mean ignore crazy poo poo like judge Norn? I dont think you get what nerd hobby collecting is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

Remember that it barely saw play before BFZ and fecthland duals standard. (mardoodoo)

Nope, I always remember it seeing play from the start. Might have got more widespread with BfZ but standard at that time did support wedge color decks pretty well. Fetches and typed duals just boosted it to a 4-5 colour standard.

I am getting mixed messaged about Frontier but am somewhat interested, just not to the point of spending much on it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Skyl3lazer posted:

What do you mean ignore crazy poo poo like judge Norn? I dont think you get what nerd hobby collecting is.

Maybe once I get the basic collection down I can go crazy for the exotic stuff. In the meantime, I have student loans and a mortgage I'm still paying off. :)

I'll probably try to chase that rare poo poo down eventually...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nope, I always remember it seeing play from the start. Might have got more widespread with BfZ but standard at that time did support wedge color decks pretty well. Fetches and typed duals just boosted it to a 4-5 colour standard.

I am getting mixed messaged about Frontier but am somewhat interested, just not to the point of spending much on it.

If you already have rares that will be good in frontier (aka you forgot to get rid of cards from previous t1 standard decks) then just hold onto them until the price rockets up in a month or two here.

the format being so young means that it's basically just a few standards jammed together, not that it couldn't be good at some point but it's basically gonna be modern 2 with less reason to play it because most of the decks are going to just be an old standard deck with a few improved slots for a few years.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I can't wait to play Cuddling Doom Engine and Snuggler's Copter in the same deck. :kimchi:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Aranan posted:

When I first played around Legends I had a set of Enchant Worlds, a set of Elder Dragon Legends from Chronicles, and was well on my way to a set of every Land card including Karakas and Tabernacle. Guess which one of the three sets I actually kept through the 15 years I quit playing, and which 2 I traded or gave away before quitting.

When I came back to the game I started with something "simple" and relatively cheap - foils of the spirit avatars and their weapons from Shadowmoor/Eventide. I meant to move from there into full foil sets of those two as they are my favorite art and theme wise, but the foil filter lands scared me off. I then moved into planeswalkers (with their emblems), and those got silly pretty quick with all the alt art versions. Do you collect all their reprints, get foil or non-foil, what about SDCC, and recently how about the prerelease stamped versions. I ended up being satisfied with one of each unique art. So I'd only need one Liliana of the Veil and one Jace Mind Sculptor but had all the duel deck variants including the anime Jace and Chandra. I missed the first two SDCCs but got origins and the recent zombie one. I haven't gotten around to shelling out for the alt art Book Jace, Ugin or Kaya. And I quit collecting the regular set pws with this year's conspiracy and kaladesh since I'm not playing anymore. It still makes for a cool binder to flip through though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Everyone getting in a tizzy about potential merfolk in Atlazan? I thought that guy was some sort of feathered serpent man. Give me coatls and other snake goodness for MY EDH DECK

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Atlantis is an underwater city.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Death Bot posted:

Atlantis is an underwater city.

Aztlán is the legendary ancestral home of the Aztec peoples

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Lmao whoops

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
He's clearly some sort of fish / bird hybrid. A raincoatl, if you will

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maybe that's Henry Archer, and the Conquest of Power is the merger.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sigma-X posted:

He's clearly some sort of fish / bird hybrid. A raincoatl, if you will

Jesus Christmas.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14157&d=284267&f=LE I respect both this deck's sheer contempt for it's opponent and it's resemblance to a Khans block standard deck

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 10, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Night Danger Moose posted:

Jesus Christmas.

And a Happy New Year of the Rooster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=14157&d=284267&f=LE I respect both this deck's sheer contempt for it's opponent and it's resemblance to a Khans block standard deck

If legacy was a format with any future and/or was actually played anywhere in dfw, I would play decks like this.

Oh look, Simian Spirit Guide is 5 bucks. Definitely a card on the secret reserved list and a card that is probably going to get banned but its still the number 1 think on my want list. Ugh

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

If legacy was a format with any future and/or was actually played anywhere in dfw, I would play decks like this.
You know there is a Legacy weekly in Plano every Saturday right? The only time it hasn't fired for the last year and a half that I saw was the week of a GP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

You know there is a Legacy weekly in Plano every Saturday right? The only time it hasn't fired for the last year and a half that I saw was the week of a GP.

I totally forgot about that. Still though, investing all that money for a deck i can only play at a casual event on a Saturday doesn't seem all that enticing. It would be a deck I couldn't play at fnm. How many legacy events did we get last year in our area? 3? I don't watch closely enough.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The land base for legacy is terrifyingly expensive, and putting plain-rear end lands that tap for two colors on the reserve list was amazingly short sighted. I love the format, but unless they ban the duals, I can't play it in paper except casually with proxies.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Laughing my butt off at the 2x Confusion in the Ranks in the sideboard. This deck owns bones.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

That deck is an amazing middle finger

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Babylon Astronaut posted:

plain-rear end lands that tap for two colors on the reserve list was amazingly short sighted.

To Wizards' credit, I'm not sure they could've predicted back then how much more the "game" part of "collectible card game" would have mattered compared to the "collectible" part today. I don't fault them for making the RL two decades ago when they were charting new ground with the CCG idea but obviously I do fault them for sticking to a corporate policy that the rest of the industry has managed to pass by. Though I suppose no other CCG has the legacy that Magic has.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What about battlecards

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
drat it all, at fnm last night i got the WUBR commander deck, put the tokens in my shirt pocket, sleeved the rest of it, got home, and did the wash

without taking the tokens out of my shirt pocket

on one hand, they're just tokens so i'm not that mad, but still, fffffff :suicide:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Oh man, Modern Slivers is awesome. I'm up 2-0 in a (friendly) Modern League, beating Infect and Jund.

Here's what I'm running right now in case anyone cares :). It's pretty cheap online.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Uh, hello. I wish to play 'Modern' but I want it to be different. The bad parts? I want them worse. The good parts? I want them gone. The prices? They can stay more or less the same. And
*voice increases in pitch, puffing and wheezing*
I want to play Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

*clipart reading 'Frontier: Magic's hot new format' slowly swirls onto screen*

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

From discussing this hot topic for a week now at events , it seems the standard grinders who don't enjoy standard right now want frontier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

From discussing this hot topic for a week now at events , it seems the standard grinders who don't enjoy standard right now want frontier.

Do they have a compelling reason why they don't want to grind modern events instead?

• Locked thread