Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
instead of lifeboats, they should make lifedrones

why go into the water at all when you can go into the air and fly to safety

think outside the box here PEOPLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Three-Phase posted:

https://youtu.be/tInDH2FeXaM

"The train ran over some bags a Snickers bar a man and a glove."

Youtube commenter posted:

The audio-to-video synchronization is incorrect. Why is the audio-to-video synchronization incorrect? The audio-to-video synchronization is off by 0.51 seconds. The audio is 0.51 seconds ahead of the video. The voices make sounds 0.51 seconds before the lips move. That is 0.51 seconds faster than correct. Now everything is incorrect. That is bad. Everything must be correct. This video must be fixed so it can be correct.
:golfclap:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Zzulu posted:

They should put life boats onto your drones though. Just in case.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Slugworth posted:

Don't ships also basically suck everything around them down with them too, or am I dimly remembering some wrong info? If so, you probably don't want your life raft hitting the water right before the ship goes below the surface, better to have time to get some distance between you and the ship.

I think that's a myth. Which was busted.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
By Mythbusters or by people who actually know how to set up and run an experiment?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

Instead of making ships they should just ziptie hundreds of lifeboats together

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some sort of "ship parachute" would probably work. Like a big balloon or something.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

They should put life boats onto your drones though. Just in case.

Or life drone life drones, with retro rockets and airframe parachutes of course.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GotLag posted:

By Mythbusters or by people who actually know how to set up and run an experiment?

It's known to occur in very specific cases where previously water tight compartments collapse suddenly as the ship sinks. It depends on how quickly the ship sinks, amongst other things.

Generally you do want to get the gently caress away anyway, because the sucker might explode or capsize, anyway. And if it's a cruise ship, there's other boats or rafts coming down after you so get out of the way.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Programmer Humor posted:

Some sort of "ship parachute" would probably work. Like a big balloon or something.

Only one solution, really:

The Russian Ekranoplan

http://imgur.com/t/ekranoplan/0qaRr

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Why don't they just make the entire ship a black box?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Booourns posted:

Why don't they just make the entire ship a black box?

Because then they would have to make the black boxes out of diamond. Think of the costs!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Clearly the answer is not making boats out of poo poo that's heavier than water.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Clearly the answer is not making boats out of poo poo that's heavier than water.

So you need to pay careful attention to the diet I guess?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't know about you guys but my poo poo tends to float.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

fill the hull with helium, geez common sense people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
No no no, hear me out now ..... what if we carved ships out of ice? The other benefit is that due to the international laws of shipping all icebergs would have to give way to iceships so we'd get no more Titanic bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No no no, hear me out now ..... what if we carved ships out of ice? The other benefit is that due to the international laws of shipping all icebergs would have to give way to iceships so we'd get no more Titanic bullshit.

Didn't they try to build - not carve - carriers out of ice?

vvv Yeah that :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Didn't they try to build - not carve - carriers out of ice?

This is what you were thinking of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Sometime the ship catches fire real good and you need to GTFO before it even starts sinking.

The life rafts are set up to self deploy if the ship sinks and no one launches them first though. Same thing with free fall lifeboats.

Free fall lifeboat classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_keBUBKmCU

I was in one of these in a part of an offshore training program. It's a pretty strange experience to be inside one of those when they drop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Volcott posted:

I think that's a myth. Which was busted.

iirc the ship sinking doesn't generate suction, but all of the air bubbling out of it can aerate the water and reduce its effective density. With enough air bubbles in the water, the density can be reduced to the point where people and life boats won't float in it any more. It's a bit like how quicksand is formed, but with air and water instead of water and sand.

Once the air stops bubbling the density will return and you'll float back to the surface, obviously, but that might be several minutes for a large ship.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvU_dkKdZ0U

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

iirc the ship sinking doesn't generate suction, but all of the air bubbling out of it can aerate the water and reduce its effective density. With enough air bubbles in the water, the density can be reduced to the point where people and life boats won't float in it any more. It's a bit like how quicksand is formed, but with air and water instead of water and sand.

Once the air stops bubbling the density will return and you'll float back to the surface, obviously, but that might be several minutes for a large ship.

I thought it used to happen on ships with big funnels on them, which isn't really the case anymore

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Marine switchgear scares me.

I can't imagine trying to rack in/out a circuit breaker from a live bus (like 4160V for power distribution on a cruise liner) while the ship is rocking and rolling 30 degrees in both directions.

They make switchgear that have handrails on the front that people can hold if things are rocking back and forth, and they're built specially to handle that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DiHK posted:

I don't know about you guys but my poo poo tends to float.

You have too much fat in your diet then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My poo poo floats because it's ejected explosively in a liquid form that hardens into a foam-like structure in midair, like pumice

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Butterfly Valley posted:

You have too much fat in your diet then

:911:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

not buying it. that's several orders of magnitude difference (9 tons vs 52,000 tons). they let that go too easy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also any debris on the boat that can float but which gets caught up by it on the way down can get released as it goes down and come out of the water like a missile. This will not be a fun experience if you happen to be above it at the time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

VectorSigma posted:

not buying it. that's several orders of magnitude difference (9 tons vs 52,000 tons). they let that go too easy.

I gave up on the show when they disproved archimedes ancient greek death laser by mounting thirty hand mirrors on a dolly and pointing them at a wooden boat, as the sun was setting because they spent all day constructing the experiment, in minnesota, in winter, and failed to produce fire. That proves that ten thousand polished mirror shields on a cliff in the mediterranean in june could never have set incoming ships on fire.

They didn't even say okay see you tomorrow at noon we'll reapply the pitch and see what happens then. Five minutes whoops sundown, sorry! Coolest thing you've ever heard in history class: busted.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
:catstare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hvg2Wey92E

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wow you guys it's almost as if mythbusters was a general-audience tv program run by a couple of special effects technicians and not actually a technical summary report of reproducible peer-reviewed historical research at all!!!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just need to delete the whole article and call it busted by Mythbusters. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how a problem at those focused solar plants is that if birds fly near the convergence point they just instantly explode in a fireball.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krinkle posted:

I gave up on the show when they disproved archimedes ancient greek death laser by mounting thirty hand mirrors on a dolly and pointing them at a wooden boat, as the sun was setting because they spent all day constructing the experiment, in minnesota, in winter, and failed to produce fire. That proves that ten thousand polished mirror shields on a cliff in the mediterranean in june could never have set incoming ships on fire.

Didn’t they test it in San Francisco, which is actually on the same latitude as Archimedes’ home town of Syracuse (37°)?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I love how a problem at those focused solar plants is that if birds fly near the convergence point they just instantly explode in a fireball.

One man's problem is another man's squab lunch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Krinkle posted:

They didn't even say okay see you tomorrow at noon we'll reapply the pitch and see what happens then. Five minutes whoops sundown, sorry! Coolest thing you've ever heard in history class: busted.

That just means they get hosed by budget and time constraints, just like real scientists

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

It's just a little pop. They have pyrotechnic high voltage fuses that have much more oomph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaoCfGPHGo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Unfortunately I've completely failed to solder onto the explosive charge, it just won't take the solder as it's not metal"

Platystemon posted:

Didn’t they test it in San Francisco, which is actually on the same latitude as Archimedes’ home town of Syracuse (37°)?

I think they did that one twice because goons on the internet literally would not shut up about it. Once they definitely did test it at their usual site in Alameda (across the bay from San Francisco).

Later on in the series they occasionally talk about "the people on the discovery channel forums" and you can watch their contempt just grow and grow and grow and it's marvelous :allears: There's an episode devoted to just showing behind-the-scenes stuff like "okay, here are the eighty trials we did but didn't show on camera because it's boring to just show us doing the same thing over and over but YES WE DID REPEAT THE TESTS YOU INSUFFERABLE TWATS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

It's just a little pop. They have pyrotechnic high voltage fuses that have much more oomph.

Watch the follow-up video.