Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

La Canfora so grain of salt it, but

quote:

The Bills are 6-6 but mired in internal turmoil and dissension again, and Rex Ryan's tenure at coach is believed to be nearing an end, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

It would take an overwhelming performance down the stretch for Ryan to be back in 2017, the sources said, and he could be out as soon as Monday, depending on the team's results against Pittsburgh.

Quarterback Tyrod Taylor is losing the support of the front office and could soon be benched as well.

lol jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LightReaper posted:

Dude's shorter and found success, cool! Look I'll be honest this is nearing the end of my second full season as a follower of American Football so I don't know a ton about a lot of the QBs in the league - does Brees find success in the short range passing game down the middle?

Brees finds success throwing everywhere. He's absolutely insane and I'm so glad Wilson idolizes him, because he runs one of the most prolific and entertaining passing attacks in history.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/807996721762418688

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Its not the Pats and TB so nothing will happen.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

fsif posted:

La Canfora so grain of salt it, but

lol jesus

What exactly would firing Rex and starting Cardale Jones accomplish at this point :confused:

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

nerve posted:

Don't forget Graham and Baldwin, they will get theirs I'm sure.

Depends on how much it snows

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

Because I've seen this story many times before.

The Browns haven't been a contender since they started back up in Cleveland, though. For a team like Denver or Houston*, a healthy Romo would turn them from "flawed playoff contenders" into "likely Super Bowl appearances." Romo's had injuries, but nothing knee- or hip-related so far and he'd be worth a gamble to a team looking to push through. Denver did exactly this same thing with Peyton Manning in 2012--it's not like Manning was a sure thing coming off a full missed season and multiple neck surgeries. Romo isn't manning, but comparatively his injuries aren't as career-threatening, and he'll probably still have more zip and velocity on his throws than post-2011 Manning.

For the Bears/Jets/Rams, I suspect it's more about just being a contender and keeping fans in the stands while they build a team and find/develop the QB of the future. I don't think any team thinks Romo is a long-term solution, but there's more than enough potential upside to take a gamble on him now.

*Houston is stuck with Osweiler though, and thus is hosed

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Depends on how much it snows

poo poo wouldn't that favor the receivers?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Brees finds success throwing everywhere. He's absolutely insane and I'm so glad Wilson idolizes him, because he runs one of the most prolific and entertaining passing attacks in history.
Okay cool so it isn't a physical limitation with Taylor, that's a relief, thanks for info.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I love that the Giants had two takeaways from the Steelers and used those two balls for testing

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Benne posted:

What exactly would firing Rex and starting Cardale Jones accomplish at this point :confused:

The most popular player on a team is the third-string, inactive quarterback.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Benne posted:

It'd be amusing to have Lynn get two job changes in the same season at least.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I hate the bills

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I hate the bills

me 2

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blue squares posted:

Cowboys have the best GM (Stephen Jones)

Jerry is still the GM. Stephen is the VP in charge of player operations. I have no doubt that Jerry is still intimately involved in contract negotiations even if he isn't making all the personnel decisions.

And he's mid-tier these days because he's delegated some of his authority.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Browns haven't been a contender since they started back up in Cleveland, though. For a team like Denver or Houston*, a healthy Romo would turn them from "flawed playoff contenders" into "likely Super Bowl appearances." Romo's had injuries, but nothing knee- or hip-related so far and he'd be worth a gamble to a team looking to push through. Denver did exactly this same thing with Peyton Manning in 2012--it's not like Manning was a sure thing coming off a full missed season and multiple neck surgeries. Romo isn't manning, but comparatively his injuries aren't as career-threatening, and he'll probably still have more zip and velocity on his throws than post-2011 Manning.

For the Bears/Jets/Rams, I suspect it's more about just being a contender and keeping fans in the stands while they build a team and find/develop the QB of the future. I don't think any team thinks Romo is a long-term solution, but there's more than enough potential upside to take a gamble on him now.

*Houston is stuck with Osweiler though, and thus is hosed

Manning outside of his neck surgery had a much better durability history, so the gamble on him was different than gambling on Romo. Romo has broken either his back or clavicle how many times? When was the last time has he put a full season together? How many times has he done that in the last 5 years? If you want to develop a qb of the future that you want to sit a while you don't back him up to Romo. Romo went out in what, the preseason this year?

As far as Cleveland not being a contender since coming back I would argue they were in 2002 and 2007 but that's neither here nor there.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

h/t: Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News

quote:

A power struggle appears to be at the root of reports of the potential coaching change for the Buffalo Bills, The News has learned.

According to NFL sources, coach Rex Ryan and General Manager Doug Whaley are at odds over the future of quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Ryan wants Taylor to remain the Bills' starter for the balance of this season and beyond, the sources said, while Whaley would like to see rookie Cardale Jones start the final three games after Sunday's clash with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

CBS Sports' Jason La Confora reported Sunday that the Bills could fire Ryan as early as Monday, depending on the outcome of the Pittsburgh game.

If so, according to league sources, offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn would take over for the balance of the season and possibly beyond. NFL sources say that, in the interest of continuity, team owners Terry and Kim Pegula want Lynn to guide the team while keeping Whaley and the player-personnel staff intact.

In the interest of continuity, the continuity we desperately need for a team we think is going in the wrong direction, we are going to fire the head coach and starting QB.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Media is complaining about the over-saturation of media coverage?!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

In the interest of continuity, the continuity we desperately need for a team we think is going in the wrong direction, we are going to fire the head coach and starting QB.

Lmao what the gently caress

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/bybuckygleason/status/807998629822730241

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bucky gets paid by the comma

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Someone come laugh at the Niners and Jets with me, PM with a name and email and it's yours.

Or tell me where you're sitting so I don't have to endure this alone. :(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

In a league where Colin Kaepernick, Matt Barkley, and Bryce Petty are starting football games, how are you unhappy with Tyrod?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

oh please let Chip Kelly have full control over personnel please please please please please

At this point why the gently caress not?

He can hardly do worse than Jed and Baalke.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pegula is a rich dumb hick

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tyrod Taylor will be cool in san francisco

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tyrod Taylor will be cool in san francisco

I've accepted our new role as the Cleveland Browns of the West.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

In a league where Colin Kaepernick, Matt Barkley, and Bryce Petty are starting football games, how are you unhappy with Tyrod?

Also where like every receiving option on the Bills has been injured.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Hahaha the Bills are dipshits if they're actually getting rid of Tyrod

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DC Murderverse posted:

From what I've seen of the Bills fans they'd be happier with Gabbert than Cam.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chichevache posted:

From what I've seen of the Bills fans they'd be happier with Gabbert than Cam.

Nah, people are screaming for Cardale and EJ

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Who's got it better than us?
NOBODY!
(x7)

[Verse 1]
Who got it better?
Nobody
To the field from the tailgate party
S-F-C, Yeah we still G's
But we Crushing and hitting every drat thing
If it Ain't real, it Ain't right
If you can't take a hit, take a hike
The legendary Super Bowl champs say it right
A classic collection, Montana to Rice
Fillmore the Section
Mission to Diamond Heights
Bayview District Sunday and Monday nights
Thas' ball (Thas' ball)
If the Niners on y'all's, that's the right call
I got one question...
Tell 'em Harbaugh

NOBODY!
(x4)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Nah, people are screaming for Cardale and EJ

Huh. I'm genuinely surprised.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There are racist fans here for sure but the Tyrod hate is primarily two decades of ineptitude boiling over. The next guy will have an even shorter leash

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Quoted from the GDT.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

There are racist fans here for sure but the Tyrod hate is primarily two decades of ineptitude boiling over. The next guy will have an even shorter leash

Fair enough. My opinionhot take was primarily based on those hosed up Kaepernick shirts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flikken posted:

And with Romo's age and injury history who would seriously take him as anything other than a backup?

you saw what the Vikings paid for Bradford, for a single year rental, right?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

Manning outside of his neck surgery had a much better durability history, so the gamble on him was different than gambling on Romo. Romo has broken either his back or clavicle how many times? When was the last time has he put a full season together? How many times has he done that in the last 5 years? If you want to develop a qb of the future that you want to sit a while you don't back him up to Romo. Romo went out in what, the preseason this year?

So what if Manning's other history was better? Everyone was worried about the impact it would have on his ability to throw (significant) and popular opinion was that he was one hit away from a wheelchair. Manning's injury was career- and life-threatening and there was no indication that he was going to come back from that, or if he'd even be as good if he did. Plenty of people thought he was going to retire.

That injury concern was a major part of Manning's contract with the Broncos:

NFL.com in 2012 posted:

If Manning passes a physical in March 2013 he'll be guaranteed $40 million over the next two seasons. There is currently an injury waiver in place, however, that should Manning injure his neck in 2013, the Broncos can void the contract at that point and 2014 would not be guaranteed, sources told La Canfora. Those sources also said there is ongoing dialogue about that injury waiver, and whether it should apply to both years, and until Manning signs the deal that is not locked in.

Now Romo is no Peyton Manning, but he has consistently been one of the best passers of the last decade when healthy and he did play full seasons in 2014, 2012, and 2011, and 15 games in 2013 before he opted for season-ending surgery. Broken collarbones and Vertebrae aren't unrecoverable injuries, and even if Romo suffered another broken collarbone next seasons (which isn't guaranteed--he went 5 years between breaks), it wouldn't put him out for an entire season unless it happened late. Romo went out in the preseason this year but he's been ready to play for several weeks now. And either way, for teams who are clearly competitors just missing great QB play (Denver) or marginally competitive in a bad division and looking to hold ground through a transition (Chicago), the opportunity to have Romo on a no-risk contract* in exchange for what will likely be a conditional pick has a lot of upside.

*that's the other thing you don't seem to be considering--if Romo is traded, the new team inherits no signing bonus or dead money, so they could cut him at any time. Like everything else, it's not about "oh well this guy might get hurt," but rather a risk vs reward calculation, and again, there's more than enough upside for some teams to take a chance on him.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Jonathan Fisk posted:

And will inevitably be worse than Tyrod.

It's mesmerizing to see this team that has had nothing but bad QBs since Doug Flutie kick out the only one that isn't terrible.

When's the 2018 draft?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Flikken posted:

And with Romo's age and injury history who would seriously take him as anything other than a backup?

Woody Johnson.

fsif posted:

In fairness Rex Ryan is a horrible coach who can't judge a QB to save his life so if Jones is really the next great QB, Rex wouldn't know that.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rjmccall posted:

NOBODY!
(x7)

[Verse 1]
Who got it better?
Nobody
To the field from the tailgate party
S-F-C, Yeah we still G's
But we Crushing and hitting every drat thing
If it Ain't real, it Ain't right
If you can't take a hit, take a hike
The legendary Super Bowl champs say it right
A classic collection, Montana to Rice
Fillmore the Section
Mission to Diamond Heights
Bayview District Sunday and Monday nights
Thas' ball (Thas' ball)
If the Niners on y'all's, that's the right call
I got one question...
Tell 'em Harbaugh

NOBODY!
(x4)

I miss San Francisco being a real city with a real football team.

• Locked thread