Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Superglue it?

I thought about that. In retrospect, it would have been better than a bandaid that I had to keep replacing after doing dishes, showering, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you haven't cut yourself enough times that deep gouging your thumb with a hobby knife is more of an annoyance than it is painful then I dunno what your deal is, MISTER SAFETY

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Oh, my thumb has a nice callous built up from Xacto hits. My index finger, not so much...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It turns out I've cursed myself by saying my 105 has never failed me. Upon re-assembly tonight after cleaning I've got huge resistance trying to get the needle through the body. It does go through, but something is fucky. I've narrowed it down to being the main body (great :rolleyes:) here:

Anyone have any idea what could be causing that part to be tight on the needle? its absolutely fine on the rest of its path from front to back.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I was fortunate enough that the manager at my local Warhammer store was able to hold one of these guys for me - I painted the limited edition dude and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Cool and good. I think I'd like both sides of the cloak to be the same color but that's a taste thing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TTerrible posted:

It turns out I've cursed myself by saying my 105 has never failed me. Upon re-assembly tonight after cleaning I've got huge resistance trying to get the needle through the body. It does go through, but something is fucky. I've narrowed it down to being the main body (great :rolleyes:) here:

Anyone have any idea what could be causing that part to be tight on the needle? its absolutely fine on the rest of its path from front to back.

You could try disassembling it again and checking in there using a small flashlight. Could be a chunk of paint/varnish that got stuck in there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If you can get a cheap sonic cleaner off eBay, those help a lot with issues like that. Just take it apart, toss it in a bath with a little simple green, and then rinse it down. It's great for taking care of those weird little clogs and blockages.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Almost definitely some dried paint. Eventually it builds up back there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool and good. I think I'd like both sides of the cloak to be the same color but that's a taste thing.
Thanks man. I do sometimes, I don't some other times. It's fun to vary it up.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here is a dumb thing I immediately purchased when I found it in the local grog hobby shop. Really, how could I not?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Sometimes, you choose the model. Sometimes, the model chooses you.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

uwu face in front with full gremlin livery and/or racing decals like her Meka? I will probably paint a gremlin on the cockpit in either case.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Chill la Chill posted:

uwu face in front with full gremlin livery and/or racing decals like her Meka? I will probably paint a gremlin on the cockpit in either case.

yes

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fyrbrand posted:

Here is a dumb thing I immediately purchased when I found it in the local grog hobby shop. Really, how could I not?

I would recommend highly reaper's other sharkman:
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/shark/latest/03493#detail/03493_w_1

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I love everything you post in here dude

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Chill la Chill posted:

Racing/bunny decals, gremlin is a must.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the feedback. I will start painting gremlin livery on it and use some of those sponsorship decals I have which won't look so out of scale since this ship is quite a bit larger than the others.

signalnoise posted:

I love everything you post in here dude
Thanks. I started painting this last night but then I got to the red and it was right next to the pink so I started on the ship.

I'll work on them from time to time to get some more earthy and darker looking colors but my inspiration these past few months this year has been colorful 80s art.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

fukken yessssssssssssssss!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That one is definitely the best I've seen, but they also have this other other sharkman too!

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/shark/sku-down/77278

That's the one I saw on the shelf at the store and also said, "How can I not buy this?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Say what you will about the quality from artist-to-artist of Reaper's stuff, their animal dudes are always really fun. Still got a soft spot for my crabwolf.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Your what now.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

Your what now.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wolf%20demon/sku-down/02656 or http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wolf%20demon/sku-down/77307

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn't realize I needed a jawesome street shark but now I do.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Make a team!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I almost want to say I'm surprised there's more than just one or two sharkdudes, but at this point in the game, I'm surprised there aren't more.

In other news, I have a small album of WIP Warmahordes stuff. I've kinda hit a roadblock, as the turquoise seems a little flat, but both a black and teal wash (Nuln Oil and Coelia Greenshade, respectively) don't quite work. I've been considering a dark blue shade, but my free painting time is rather limited due to work (as once I start for the week, I've got 4 days straight with just enough time to eat, sleep and travel between shifts), so I haven't had a chance to sit down and actually try it out yet. Am I on the right track, or do I need to wait for the next train?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What should I use to prepare MDF for paint without loving up the dimensions too much? I have movement trays for 25mm and 40mm circles that are exactly the right size but they take paint terribly.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
MDF is very thirsty, especially on any sawn edges. You can use wood filler paste on any rough edges first, then sand and apply primer.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Has anyone tried using Krylon Paint + Primer to basecoat? The Oxford Blue looks like it might be a good stand in for Macragge Blue from the Citadel line.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I did that with Blood Angels. Worked fine as long as you follow general spray paint rules.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

DiHK posted:

I did that with Blood Angels. Worked fine as long as you follow general spray paint rules.

Cool, what color did you find worked for Mephiston? I noticed the Burgandy looked like it may work for Khorne Red.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Leaders and poo poo I tend to brush. I just wanted a solid clean red for all the boys and the vehicles. Also I was mostly played these guys during 5th so I went with Lemartes and never once played Mephiston. I never painted him or dante:cost-benefit not worth it.

This picture is like 8 years old. You know I'm not even sure if I primed them...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Shadin posted:

Has anyone tried using Krylon Paint + Primer to basecoat? The Oxford Blue looks like it might be a good stand in for Macragge Blue from the Citadel line.

I use their black and white paint+primers almost exclusively.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SRM posted:

Where were you when I posted pictures about them multiple times asking for advice :

:negative:

Ended up returning them as someone said they could be too thick for details

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Rattle primers/primepainters from rattlecans will go on thick, but typically shrink a bit as they dry/degas. Not to say "drown every crevice with paint" but dont panic if anything looks a bit soft. It's just how cool lacquer looks.

If you ever saw a bottle of alclad it will make more sense; the vast majority is thinner/retardant, with a small film at the bottom of the majority of the lacquer paint/metal flakes.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

SRM posted:

Yeah I did a test run of their ultra matte primer (no paint) and it worked awesome. Cheap and fast base coating colors are enticing since I don't have an airbrush and don't want to pay the price for GW sprays.

Have you ever tried stripping the Krylon?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Man, three models into an Iron Warriors 30k army is a bad time to discover that you don't particularly enjoy doing hazard stripes. I'm sure that they'll be like second nature eventually but oh boy. It didn't help that I started off on a Contemptor and realized that my plan of having stripes on the shoulders looked too garish. I ended up painting them black to be more like the infantry pauldrons but it was a bit of a morale killer.

Also I don't know if this exists yet, but there needs to be a word for when you've made (or in this case painted) something that seems fine to everyone else but you're not satisfied with it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's called anxiety.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Try using hazard stripes as trim and decoration, keep the areas small until you get the hang of the technique. You can always go back later and add more once you're comfortable with painting them.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Also, probably obvious, but always do the yellow first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Fyrbrand posted:

That's called anxiety.

Me? Anxiety? That's unpossible!

Although I did just ask the missus if she thought I had anxiety issues and laughed until she got dizzy so you may be on to something.