Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Thanks guys. He just emailed me and told me to call him in his office, so this is either going to be the job offer or me getting a rejection. I think I'm gonna try to haggle for more money. I'm really nervous

This is the responsibilities on the job posting:

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Grump posted:

Thanks guys. He just emailed me and told me to call him in his office, so this is either going to be the job offer or me getting a rejection. I think I'm gonna try to haggle for more money. I'm really nervous
Nobody sets up a call to let you down gently, it would've been an email rejection. Definitely push for more if the conversation goes towards compensation. Being nervous isn't an excuse for getting paid less, it's worth some awkwardness to assert your own value and get what you deserve.

If there's absolutely no budging on $14/hr, can't possibly happen, would need the CEO to take a vision quest with the head of HR, see what kind of commitments you can get towards advancement. See if they'll pay for certifications/training, ask about the review & advancement structure and if there's any way to come in a grade ahead (because you're so awesome!), etc. I'm assuming if your alternative is bartending, you're going to crush the typical customer interaction parts better than most programmers. You could even ask for a work structure that fits around continuing to do that if the money's good.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Grump posted:

If you're aiming to be a developer, I wouldn't take that job. It doesn't sound like it will give any worthwhile dev experience, just testing and random tasks, as other posters have said.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Graduating in May and will be going for an on-site interview for a position described as a "Unix systems programmer." I've never used a straight Unix system. My technical skills center around Python and a few more modern technologies, with a smattering of Linux HPC administration and shell scripting. Not a ton of C programming, and I've mentioned as much, but I think they may be looking for fresh talent. They maintain enterprise software to manage hundreds PBs of data across hundreds of millions of files, and that part is pretty intriguing to me, "big data engineering" is kind of the trajectory I've aimed for. They say they are interested in modernizing some of their software, which sounds right up my alley, but also mentioned the codebase isn't necessarily up to snuff as far as modern software engineering standards, so it may be a mess to navigate.

I'm not necessarily looking to land a gig at a hot startup using the trendiest tech, but I'm a little concerned about "Unix systems programming" as my first gig out of school. I only have an inkling of what that really even means. I'm worried it may become (or is already?) something akin to "COBOL programmer," and my skills won't be very transferable outside of companies managing legacy systems as their current maintainers age out. On the other hand, maybe this could be my gateway to a more technical field than would normally be offered to a new grad?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

Nobody sets up a call to let you down gently, it would've been an email rejection.

I've had this happen twice, one by a finance startup in NY, and the other by Google. I think they figure a human at the other end is better than a cold e-mail.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So I am graduating next week and I have a few questions with interviews I'm having.

I've had 2 phone interviews with 2 different companies each. One company progressed really fast from my second phone interview with 2 of their engineers (at 4PM) to offering me on onsite before noon the next day which I'm taking as a good sign that I must have been impressive.
They want me to do an onsite this coming week, and to give a short presentation to their engineering team about a project I've worked on. They said I can use a power point or write on a white board. The HR person I spoke to said to not make it too long and the rough schedule for the day blocks out 45 min for the presentation + questions.
I didn't want to set up a powerpoint and fiddle with whatever potential complications may happen while trying to get my laptop hooked up.

Would writing myself note cards and draw out a representation of the system be sufficient? How much detail should I reasonably go into? Both interviews are for embedded / firmware dev positions. so I want to talk about some of the specs of the micro-controller the project used, the radio and other component we used and why they were a good choice for the project. but I wasn't in charge of choosing those components.

Other question. The second company I interviewed with, my second interview was with the founder of the company, and its a small company. Not many employees but been around for the better part of a decade. He told me before our call ended that he wanted me to do an on site interview and I gave him my availability and the way the call went it sounded like he was very interested in me, even going as far as starting to talk about the benefits package the company offers. I still havnt heard back on a date for an on-site. I sent him a email today saying my availability changed, and that I wouldn't be available until the week of the 19th (Graduation and family taking up the latter half of this coming week) Should I be worried?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dotcom656 posted:

I still havnt heard back on a date for an on-site. Should I be worried?

Not really. They'd probably hire you, but haven't responded because they're just disorganized. It's a sign to rank this place lower on your list in case of multiple offers. You don't want to work someplace that can't get its poo poo together enough to respond to a simple email.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Grump posted:

Took the job. He offered full time 35k with full benefits paid. He said I deserved more and he wanted to see me move up eventually

I start Monday and the best part is I can wear a flannel and jeans

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Grump posted:

Took the job. He offered full time 35k with full benefits paid. He said I deserved more and he wanted to see me move up eventually

Your first post in this thread mentions you're a new grad: new grad with what degree?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah. Majored in Media and Info Tech.

B.A of arts and sciences

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Graduating in May and will be going for an on-site interview for a position described as a "Unix systems programmer." I've never used a straight Unix system. My technical skills center around Python and a few more modern technologies, with a smattering of Linux HPC administration and shell scripting. Not a ton of C programming, and I've mentioned as much, but I think they may be looking for fresh talent. They maintain enterprise software to manage hundreds PBs of data across hundreds of millions of files, and that part is pretty intriguing to me, "big data engineering" is kind of the trajectory I've aimed for. They say they are interested in modernizing some of their software, which sounds right up my alley, but also mentioned the codebase isn't necessarily up to snuff as far as modern software engineering standards, so it may be a mess to navigate.

I'm not necessarily looking to land a gig at a hot startup using the trendiest tech, but I'm a little concerned about "Unix systems programming" as my first gig out of school. I only have an inkling of what that really even means. I'm worried it may become (or is already?) something akin to "COBOL programmer," and my skills won't be very transferable outside of companies managing legacy systems as their current maintainers age out. On the other hand, maybe this could be my gateway to a more technical field than would normally be offered to a new grad?

Assuming by Unix they mean Linux and not like exclusively HP/UX you will be fine.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Grump posted:

Congrats!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Long story short, I am a phd student in a non-computer field, who wanted to diversify my employable skill set, so I applied to a developer job. I am not new to programming, I have been a hobbiest for the last 10 years, mostly just editing linux config files and automating tasks. I got the job, no questions asked, I was honest about my skill set, but the employer seemed desperate-- and didn't ask me any questions what so ever other than casual chit chat: "You ever use Lua and Python", "you ever use github?" etc. I made sure to advertise my work ethic not my programming ability.

I have four weeks before I officially start, and the job is extremely well paying; like 3x my phd stipend and only 20 hours a week. I looked over some of the currently completed code, and it's not that I don't think I can do it, but I don't know how to think the way they do. How can I spend the next 3 weeks preparing to think like a programmer? Lua or Python isn't the issue, neither is the library we are using (NDA can't talk about it), but I don't know how to think in code, like when to use math functions, or when to write certain loops.. Should I go back in there and make sure the employer is clear about my abilities, and risk losing the opportunity? I think doing that screams "Im' an immature baby, and you gave me an opportunity and I want to throw it away" or should I just fake it till I make it, or am fired?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing something productive and not looking at twitter and playing video games all day

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Grump posted:

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing something productive and not looking at twitter and playing video games all day
If you keep working at programming you will triple the salary you signed up for without trouble.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whoops

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 10, 2016

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Assuming by Unix they mean Linux and not like exclusively HP/UX you will be fine.

Actually I think they mean Unix, like AIX and Sun. I'm not sure what the difference is yet :/

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

lemonslol posted:

<<fear and anxiety>>

I felt the same way at my first job, and I have a traditional compsci background. I spent some time every day tearing apart web sites that previous programmers at the company had built.

I recommend doing a whole bunch of tutorials for whatever type of programming you'll be doing. Even if it's stupid stuff like, "build a blog", or "make a todo list". And when you get to the end of any tutorial, think of a new feature and program it in.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lemonslol posted:

should I just fake it till I make it, or am fired?

Yes. This is what most people do, regardless the field but development still has an air of black magic so it can take longer until you are fired.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

lemonslol posted:

Long story short, I am a phd student in a non-computer field, who wanted to diversify my employable skill set, so I applied to a developer job. I am not new to programming, I have been a hobbiest for the last 10 years, mostly just editing linux config files and automating tasks. I got the job, no questions asked, I was honest about my skill set, but the employer seemed desperate-- and didn't ask me any questions what so ever other than casual chit chat: "You ever use Lua and Python", "you ever use github?" etc. I made sure to advertise my work ethic not my programming ability.

I have four weeks before I officially start, and the job is extremely well paying; like 3x my phd stipend and only 20 hours a week. I looked over some of the currently completed code, and it's not that I don't think I can do it, but I don't know how to think the way they do. How can I spend the next 3 weeks preparing to think like a programmer? Lua or Python isn't the issue, neither is the library we are using (NDA can't talk about it), but I don't know how to think in code, like when to use math functions, or when to write certain loops.. Should I go back in there and make sure the employer is clear about my abilities, and risk losing the opportunity? I think doing that screams "Im' an immature baby, and you gave me an opportunity and I want to throw it away" or should I just fake it till I make it, or am fired?
I was in a similar situation.

Just jump in, if they're realistic about you they know you're not gonna be in the same position as a senior dev, or even a fresh CS grad. But believe me when I say that your PhD training is probably more relevant than you think (mine's in the humanities and I got a job and I'm doing fine at it, you'll be good too).

Fake it till you make it is how you did your PhD, this is no different.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lemonslol posted:

If they offered you a job they think you can learn how to do it. Simple fact of programming is that absolutely nobody knows everything about it. They're going to expect you to spend some time learning. Even the most hardened veteran programmer will have to learn something on the first few weeks and months of the job. You were probably the best candidate they had access to and they saw something they wanted so they snapped you up.

As for the next three weeks "thinking like a programmer," well, brush up on if statements, for loops, and switches. You can program basically anything with those. Are you comparing something in any way? If statement. Are you iterating through any kind of collection? That's a for loop. Are you repeating code? Make a loop and possibly a function. Did you just chain a bunch of if/else after one comparison? That's a switch. Avoid while loops if you can; they have a tendency to infinitely loop. Other than that programming is all about pattern recognition. As for math libraries and that you use the math libraries and functions whenever you need them. If you're calculating a tangent always use a tangent function on a math library. You wouldn't invent a new hammer every time you went to build a cabinet, would you? No; the right time to use a library or some other function is every time you need what it does.

The main thing you should do early on a programming job is be eager to learn. The code base will confuse you. The way it was written will confuse you. Every programmer has a certain style (much like artists, really) and you'll have to learn the rest of the teams' style. You'll have to learn new technologies you've never even heard of. That's fine; ask lots and lots of questions about things you don't understand and do your damnedest to be useful.

edit: To kind of reiterate and drive my point home your attitude if "oh gently caress I know nothing!" is actually highly beneficial. I'm really wondering if that's part of what was seen in you.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 10, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

All set to fake it till I make it! Thanks dude bros.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's less fake it till you make it and more fake it till you retire.

You're just gonna be faking more advanced stuff if a few years

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Basically none of what you may have read about software design will apply because all software in the real world is terrible unless you build it very carefully by yourself in Common Lisp

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

Basically none of what you may have read about software design will apply because all software in the real world is terrible unless you build it very carefully by yourself in Common Lisp

Actually all code is bad.

All of it. Absolutely all of it.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually all code is bad.

All of it. Absolutely all of it.

There's no such thing as good code; only bad code and worse code.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

You will be refactoring code so much and most of it is yours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

You will be refactoring code so much and most of it is yours.

You've become a real programmer on the day you read old code and ask "who the gently caress wrote this bullshit? It's complete garbage" and then a bit later realize "oh wait, I did."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You've become a real programmer on the day you read old code and ask "who the gently caress wrote this bullshit? It's complete garbage" and then a bit later realize "oh wait, I did."

On the other hand, one day you will be given a task to update a piece of code that no one has touched for years. You will open it up with fear and trembling, look through the code, and see a comment like, " # to add a new report do this...", and you'll look at the version control and discover that past-you left that comment.

It's a moment of such enlightenment you'll become a goddamn Buddha arhat on the spot.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I also like the exact opposite. Approaching a problem a few years later and winding up with an identical solution.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You all are talking about years but I don't know that I've ever written anything that I didn't want to go back and rewrite less than a week later

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

You all are talking about years but I don't know that I've ever written anything that I didn't want to go back and rewrite less than a week later

I have personal projects that never get done because I'm refactoring them once a month.

On the flip side, I've written scripts to solve a problem problem for a client with every intention of going back and cleaning it up, but in reality forgetting about until two years later when it breaks.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I wasn't happy with my current job's benefits, especially medical, so I recently applied to a place I knew gave great medical benefits. I honestly don't know where I'd find better. On top of that, their other benefits are probably on par with government jobs. The only downside to the position is that I know they give smaller raises, so I asked them for more money up front. I currently make 65k, and I asked for 80k.

They offered 83k. Should I even bother negotiating the offer at this point? Or should I just be happy?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Zero The Hero posted:

I wasn't happy with my current job's benefits, especially medical, so I recently applied to a place I knew gave great medical benefits. I honestly don't know where I'd find better. On top of that, their other benefits are probably on par with government jobs. The only downside to the position is that I know they give smaller raises, so I asked them for more money up front. I currently make 65k, and I asked for 80k.

They offered 83k. Should I even bother negotiating the offer at this point? Or should I just be happy?

If you give a number and they beat it, that's pretty much it.

If you wanted to negotiate other things like vacation, you could. But if you're happy with the offer just take it.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I just personally have a lot of hangups because I know so many developers who are underpaid and underappreciated that I feel like you should always counter, if you can. But... I don't think I can ask for more money in this situation. And their other benefits are all stellar. I think I'm just going to give my current boss the chance to improve my salary here out of courtesy and then accept the offer I just got at 83k.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's why you name a ridiculous number. :v:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah. I had previously explained to my friend why I had given such a high number when they asked me for one, and explained that I wasn't likely to get it, when he asked:

"What are you going to do if they give you the 80, though?"
Me: "Wish I asked for 85"

I honestly don't know now. Where would they ever get that number? It's more than I've ever heard of anyone in my area getting for my level of experience. They didn't see enough of my work for it to be based on any exceptional skill on my part. I feel like they didn't consider my figure at all, or they wouldn't have overshot it. Or maybe they go a bit over on purpose? I did mention previously that I was looking elsewhere, but that I wanted their job more than the others, so I don't see why they'd try to sell me on it this way.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeah, they want you working for them. Don't bother loving with retention offers if you want to work at the new place at all because it'll just mark you as being on the way out of your current job whether you take it or not.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Zero The Hero posted:

Where would they ever get that number?

It could be the bottom of a salary band that they are hiring into, market research might have shown it to be a competitive salary for the position that they were hiring for, it might have shown up in the engineering director's tea leaves that morning, but the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter because they believe you're worth it and are willing to pay. Don't fight it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Don't worry, the only fight I even considered was asking for more. I just don't think I have it in me. I don't even know what I'd ask for. I do question if I'm worth it - I have two and a half years experience in their stack, and I live in the SE where wages are normally lower, and 83k just sounds absurd to me. But I'm going to take the job anyway. The worst they can do is fire me.