Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

derra posted:

Not only that, but with the plant down, Chryse is screwed either way now. I can't imagine the colony can take such a hit to its agricultural production.

Only one of the hexagons got cooked, not the entire facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Iok is going to cause the end of the world as we know it.

And he'll feel fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Of course Mikazuki would find it beautiful.

Yes. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Now's not the time Vidar.

Given that McGillis now knows he's inches away from becoming the supreme ruler of the solar system, I'd say he picked exactly the right time.

It's amazing how many different levels Iok has managed to gently caress up on, and I'll be really interested to see which way he jumps once Julietta's done chewing him out. The guy clearly wants to do the right thing, and is capable of feeling guilt, but is so arrogant and impulsive that he keeps doing the exact opposite, and that's a really unstable combination once the person in question hits their breaking point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Beam weapons still aren't good which is an interesting thing, but basically solely used to cause destruction to non-combatants in a short amount of time. I guess it makes sense, since its tail is more than enough to one-shot most mobile suits.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh that's a nice touch; Rides Shiden only lost a hand because the ammo in his rifle cooked off. Nanolaminate armor really is absolutely beam proof.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Beam weapons still aren't good which is an interesting thing, but basically solely used to cause destruction to non-combatants in a short amount of time.

That's not why that happened.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's not why that happened.

It messed up Ride's suit, but overall it did not do nearly as much damage as you would expect.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing the Helmwige Reincar's huge gently caress-off sword in action.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

It messed up Ride's suit, but overall it did not do nearly as much damage as you would expect.

Yeah, and that didn't happen because beam weapons are designed to kill civilians/do property damage, it happened because nanolaminate armour is 100% effective in blocking beams. The Hashmal was trying to shoot directly at its target, but Ride's suit split the beam instead, taking no damage but resulting in a wider area of effect against the beam's target.

It's a nice touch, showing that technology progressed a lot over the course of the Calamity War and in the 300 years since.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 11, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes.

The Mobile Armor is the anti-Kira: cockpit shots and civilian casualties all day every day. Though the modern armor's beam resistance looks like it will result in some disarmed survivors.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I doubt the armor is a new invention. It was probably designed around the same time as the Calamity War to fight mobile armors. Also I like to imagine it would bring a tear to Dozle's eye to see mobile armors finally truly get their due.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well regardless of why the beam did what it did, it's good to see that bashing cockpits is still the best way to win fights and not beam spam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I doubt the armor is a new invention. It was probably designed around the same time as the Calamity War to fight mobile armors. Also I like to imagine it would bring a tear to Dozle's eye to see mobile armors finally truly get their due.

Sure, it probably was since the Gundam frames all seem to have it but it probably wasn't as common back then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Sure, it probably was since the Gundam frames all seem to have it but it probably wasn't as common back then.

The Gundams were the first Mobile Suits, and all non-Gundam Mobile Suits came after, right? So, you are right that there were no non-Gundam MS with nano-laminate armor during the Calamity War.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Gundams were the first Mobile Suits, and all non-Gundam Mobile Suits came after, right? So, you are right that there were no non-Gundam MS with nano-laminate armor during the Calamity War.

I bet they could put nanolaminate on tanks and buildings too even during the calamity war, but probably didn't.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's hilarious how Iok has completely surpassed Carta in being terrible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nope, I think that they were late-war pinnacles of mobile suit design, just like the Valkyries. Humanity started out with significantly less cool suits like the Hexas, Rodis, and whatever the Hyakuren was based off.

Argas posted:

It's hilarious how Iok has completely surpassed Carta in being terrible.

It's a classic example of 'a little learning is a dangerous thing'. Carta happily swanned around in her own little world, and wasn't a danger to herself or anyone else unless someone intruded on it. Iok, by contrast, is a highly active member of a major political faction, and so has the motive and information to apply his golden touch to problems across the solar system.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

I bet they could put nanolaminate on tanks and buildings too even during the calamity war, but probably didn't.

Nanolaminate coating is a special paint that can absorb enormous amounts of energy when exposed to Ahab particles. You need something mobile suit-sized or bigger to make it work, because nothing smaller can mount an Ahab reactor. As we've also seen, reactors play merry hell with electronics, making them awkward to fit onto any fixed installations you plan on using as bases.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a classic example of 'a little learning is a dangerous thing'. Carta happily swanned around in her own little world, and wasn't a danger to herself or anyone else unless someone intruded on it. Iok, by contrast, is a highly active member of a major political faction, and so has the motive and information to apply his golden touch to problems across the solar system.

It also really reflects badly on Rustal to let a dumbass like Iok flit around without restraint. Carta actually disobeyed orders and was manipulated by McGillis into situations where she'd just gently caress up more. Ordinarily the chain of command as well as her own sense of professionalism should've kept her from making some of the errors she's made, but she hosed up there.

Iok seemingly has none of that. Rustal happily gives him command of a portion of the Arianrhod fleet. He deploys in combat alongside vastly superior pilots and learns not a single thing in any encounters. If Carta actually fought anyone other than Tekkadan we'd have an even better comparison because Iok seemingly can't even deal with mobile suits piloted by rebelling workers.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Darth Walrus posted:

It's amazing how many different levels Iok has managed to gently caress up on, and I'll be really interested to see which way he jumps once Julietta's done chewing him out. The guy clearly wants to do the right thing, and is capable of feeling guilt, but is so arrogant and impulsive that he keeps doing the exact opposite, and that's a really unstable combination once the person in question hits their breaking point.

He gets a lot of poo poo (and rightful so) but Iok is a really interesting character and one of my favorites this season. He completely buys into the idea of a "just world" and that if he does the right, noble thing, then surely it will all work out. And when it doesn't and he just ends up making everything worse, instead of realizing "hey maybe poo poo's more complicated than I thought," he doubles down on his ideals and if he's just right-er and noble-er then THIS time everything will be fine and go back to normal. And then he makes the same mistakes over and over.

I don't see him backing down, despite everyone yelling at him to, because he seems to have a noblesse oblige mentality that won't let him run from his perceived responsibilities. He's the goon in the well and he'll probably drown to death on piss before considering changing course.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Adel posted:

He gets a lot of poo poo (and rightful so) but Iok is a really interesting character and one of my favorites this season. He completely buys into the idea of a "just world" and that if he does the right, noble thing, then surely it will all work out. And when it doesn't and he just ends up making everything worse, instead of realizing "hey maybe poo poo's more complicated than I thought," he doubles down on his ideals and if he's just right-er and noble-er then THIS time everything will be fine and go back to normal. And then he makes the same mistakes over and over.

I don't see him backing down, despite everyone yelling at him to, because he seems to have a noblesse oblige mentality that won't let him run from his perceived responsibilities. He's the goon in the well and he'll probably drown to death on piss before considering changing course.

Sadly piss well would be too good for him. Dude's gonna be a greasy spot on the sidewalk once Tekkadan get to him.

Also the preview for next week has Mechanic boy riding in Shingo's lap so maybe that plot line will finally go somewhere.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sadly piss well would be too good for him. Dude's gonna be a greasy spot on the sidewalk once Tekkadan get to him.

Also the preview for next week has Mechanic boy riding in Shingo's lap so maybe that plot line will finally go somewhere.

It's kinda sad that the kindest ending for Iok is a quick death. He's too dumb and pure for this show.

Shino offering to carry him like a princess was :kimchi: I'd really like it to go somewhere, too, even though I'm hesitant to hope for more than a possible confession from Yamagi just to have the subject confirmed.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Anybody else notice that the Vidar appears to have one of those red mono-eye mobile suit cameras that seems characteristic of the Plumas and Einborg behind the pilot seat in it's cockpit? :tinfoil:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I noticed, and it's situated in such a weird spot to just be background dressing. That and I'll take any evidence I can.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Belzac posted:

I noticed, and it's situated in such a weird spot to just be background dressing. That and I'll take any evidence I can.

It was the only other thing of note in that entire slow zoom shot. There's no way it's background dressing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theres two of them, one on each side of the ship right? If it was just one then yeah id say its something weird

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Vidar has two of the red eye things in the suit, and his helmet has four eyes. And the cables coming out of the equipment look the same as the Alaya-Vijnana ones that connect to a pilot's spine. I think they've got a Pacific Rim-drift thing going on with whatever they scraped out of Graze Ein's cockpit.

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 11, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Hahah any IBO suit with nanolaminate armor can defeat the biggest beam spammer from Seed. Or at least have a tremendous advantage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Nanolaminate coating is a special paint that can absorb enormous amounts of energy when exposed to Ahab particles. You need something mobile suit-sized or bigger to make it work, because nothing smaller can mount an Ahab reactor. As we've also seen, reactors play merry hell with electronics, making them awkward to fit onto any fixed installations you plan on using as bases.

Somehow all the electronics in the mobile suits work just fine with the reactor on, so there's some kind of shielding that is probably uneconomical to put on everybody's TV set in the civilian world. You could probably harden the electronics in a bunker or something if you wanted to drop an Ahab Reactor in it.

In any event, the point I'm making is that the Mobile Armor is still Real Bad but will go against more enemies in the current day that are beam-resistant than it did during the Calamity War, so while it will still destroy cities with no problem the forces arrayed against it will have a better chance than the people who were bucking for an Order of the Seven Stars during the Calamity War.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Ka0 posted:

Hahah any IBO suit with nanolaminate armor can defeat the biggest beam spammer from Seed. Or at least have a tremendous advantage.

Sadly most of the spamy suits in SEED always carry either rockets or more commonly railguns(even the freedom has a pair of railguns on it)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Not really, no. You do know that IBO isn't the first Gundam show to have anti-beam stuff, right? Even SEED itself has anti-beam laminate armor. (It is what the Archangel is covered with.)

Likewise almost every SEED thing has phase shift armor so the IBO setting's heavy reliance on physical weaponry would be a big ol' downside to it there.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Argas posted:

It also really reflects badly on Rustal to let a dumbass like Iok flit around without restraint. Carta actually disobeyed orders and was manipulated by McGillis into situations where she'd just gently caress up more. Ordinarily the chain of command as well as her own sense of professionalism should've kept her from making some of the errors she's made, but she hosed up there.

Iok seemingly has none of that. Rustal happily gives him command of a portion of the Arianrhod fleet. He deploys in combat alongside vastly superior pilots and learns not a single thing in any encounters. If Carta actually fought anyone other than Tekkadan we'd have an even better comparison because Iok seemingly can't even deal with mobile suits piloted by rebelling workers.

Iok is the head of one of the other families of the Seven Stars. Rustal pretty much has to give him enough rope to hang himself with if he wants to reign him in; otherwise, there'd be issues with one of the families ordering another one around.

Assuming Iok survives this fuckup, expect him to wish he hadn't between Rustal's response and McGillis probably being savvy enough to have audiovisual evidence that he was the one that woke up a Mobile Armor despite warnings not to.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Kind of interesting that nano laminate is actually amongst the strongest armor seen in gundam. Total gently caress you to beams and still rediculously strong against long range physical weaponry.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

You know, before last week I was starting to get down on this show.

But drat if these past 2 episodes haven't won me back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Kind of interesting that nano laminate is actually amongst the strongest armor seen in gundam. Total gently caress you to beams and still rediculously strong against long range physical weaponry.

Nah, it's actually pretty standard for modern Gundam suits to be strong against both in some fashion. 00 obviously has GN particle stuff that allowed both physical and beam resistance (especially with actual particle fields), Gundam Wing's Gundanium Alloy heavily resists all damage, and Gundam Age's bullshit armor requires you to make laser beams that are also drills to damage it. G-Self naturally has Photon Armor which is insane bullshit only matched by everything else having insane bullshit and Turn-A is nanomachine superarmor.

(It's also hard to judge the relative strength of armor considering every Gundam series has its own base power level. IBO is on the low-end of things so it's hard to tell how it'd stand up to ridiculous insane bullshit like GN Weaponry.)

IBO being on the low end of the spectrum is its strength though. Regular explosives and magical space katanas are significant weapons and that's cool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Sandman posted:

Iok is the head of one of the other families of the Seven Stars. Rustal pretty much has to give him enough rope to hang himself with if he wants to reign him in; otherwise, there'd be issues with one of the families ordering another one around.

Assuming Iok survives this fuckup, expect him to wish he hadn't between Rustal's response and McGillis probably being savvy enough to have audiovisual evidence that he was the one that woke up a Mobile Armor despite warnings not to.

Well, that depends on if McGillis wants to reveal his ties to Tekkadan or not. This visit was supposed to be secret after all. Though he's kind of given up on that seeing as he's piloting his Graze Ritter instead of using a machine that isn't easily traced to him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Somehow all the electronics in the mobile suits work just fine with the reactor on, so there's some kind of shielding that is probably uneconomical to put on everybody's TV set in the civilian world. You could probably harden the electronics in a bunker or something if you wanted to drop an Ahab Reactor in it.

In any event, the point I'm making is that the Mobile Armor is still Real Bad but will go against more enemies in the current day that are beam-resistant than it did during the Calamity War, so while it will still destroy cities with no problem the forces arrayed against it will have a better chance than the people who were bucking for an Order of the Seven Stars during the Calamity War.

Nope. The reason half-metal is so valuable is because it can be used to make electronics capable of functioning within Ahab waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Argas posted:

Well, that depends on if McGillis wants to reveal his ties to Tekkadan or not. This visit was supposed to be secret after all. Though he's kind of given up on that seeing as he's piloting his Graze Ritter instead of using a machine that isn't easily traced to him.

He has to though, if he wants that Order of the Seven Stars.

• Locked thread