Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

WickedHate posted:

I think Hugo had an official exit-iirc during Knightfall it shows him just sort of walking off out of the wrecked cave-and then he came back for a page in Hush to be like "Hush fixed my deformity so I betrayed you to him, but we're cool right? His name is [gets shot]"

I think that was No Man's Land, not Knightfall. He ran off to go fix the broken city and never came back. In Knightfall, I thought he just hid himself and Ace in a corner of the cave while Jean-Paul was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I think Hugo had an official exit-iirc during Knightfall it shows him just sort of walking off out of the wrecked cave-and then he came back for a page in Hush to be like "Hush fixed my deformity so I betrayed you to him, but we're cool right? His name is [gets shot]"
He showed up a bit in the Azrael comic, too, working for JP before he (JP) kicked it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Perry Normal posted:

I think that was No Man's Land, not Knightfall. He ran off to go fix the broken city and never came back. In Knightfall, I thought he just hid himself and Ace in a corner of the cave while Jean-Paul was there.

Oh yeah, I meant to say No Man's Land.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What's the Nu52/Rebirth JP Valley's deal, by the way? He just showed up as a nice nurse at Leslie's clinic in Detective, but then busted out a sick fire sword when the bad guys tried to ambush Spoiler and Bluebird.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

What's the Nu52/Rebirth JP Valley's deal, by the way? He just showed up as a nice nurse at Leslie's clinic in Detective, but then busted out a sick fire sword when the bad guys tried to ambush Spoiler and Bluebird.

He was heavily involved in Batman and Robin Eternal. He seems to have come to Gotham to be a part of the Batfamily and will be joining the team in Detective Comics soon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Batman and Robin Eternal for his story.
Basically he was an antagonist, defending his weird tech religion/cult and was saved by the bat kids and started fighting with them.

e: What he said.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I promise to never chastise someone for Norman Osborne again.

I loved when the Marvel General thread was called "Nourmane Osbourne's Dark Avengers" or something.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ferrule posted:

I remember back when Microchip's son got killed. Didn't Micro himself die several years later? I don't really read Punisher so I have no idea if Micro is even around (or if that counts in this case).

Also, what about Arnim Zola's kids that came back with Cap? I read those comics and don't even remember what happened. Jet(?) was bad then good then maybe bad again? And the little boy grew up and came back to this dimension and then...?

Pretty sure Micro turned on Frank and then Frank killed him, as Frank does. Not sure if he's come back or not since but most recent Punisher runs just make their own supporting casts anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RandallODim posted:

Pretty sure Micro turned on Frank and then Frank killed him, as Frank does. Not sure if he's come back or not since but most recent Punisher runs just make their own supporting casts anyway.

The Hood brought Micro back to life during Rick Remender's run on the Punisher. Frank killed him again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Batman and Robin Eternal

No don't!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Our team just won the annual Nordic comic quiz and I knew a lot about Dr. Strange villains I feel so good about myself right now welp that's all god bless and god bless the United States of America!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about Rogue from X-Men. I remember reading X-Treme X-Men, which had her removed from the team about two-thirds of the way through when she and Gambit both lose their mutant powers after being run through with a sword by Vargas (remember Vargas and how Claremont tried to tie him in with Cassandra Nova?) after which they settle down in California to have a normal life. A while later (circa 2006, I guess) Sunfire loses both his legs in battle with Lady Deathstrike, and asks Rogue to permanently absorb his powers so she can avenge him, and for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers. Then I was out of the loop for a while, and the next X-Men I read was Claremont's third run on Uncanny just before House of M, where Rogue is back to her normal power-set (absorption plus super strength and flight). How did she get from A to B? When and where did she lose Sunfire's powers and get her usual ones back?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about Rogue from X-Men. I remember reading X-Treme X-Men, which had her removed from the team about two-thirds of the way through when she and Gambit both lose their mutant powers after being run through with a sword by Vargas (remember Vargas and how Claremont tried to tie him in with Cassandra Nova?) after which they settle down in California to have a normal life. A while later (circa 2006, I guess) Sunfire loses both his legs in battle with Lady Deathstrike, and asks Rogue to permanently absorb his powers so she can avenge him, and for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers. Then I was out of the loop for a while, and the next X-Men I read was Claremont's third run on Uncanny just before House of M, where Rogue is back to her normal power-set (absorption plus super strength and flight). How did she get from A to B? When and where did she lose Sunfire's powers and get her usual ones back?

Didn't she lose Sunfire's powers (as well as her memories) when she got wiped by touching baby Hope Summers during the "Messiah Complex" arc?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Selachian posted:

Didn't she lose Sunfire's powers (as well as her memories) when she got wiped by touching baby Hope Summers during the "Messiah Complex" arc?

That or during the whole supervirus thing that happened right before that.

Mike Carey basically reset her to "just power-stealing" during his run on X-Men & X-Men: Legacy. And then she, like, absorbed Wonder Man during Remender's Uncanny Avengers, so she's got ionic powers now, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If I'm remembering all this correctly:
  • Rogue gets Ms. Marvel's powers.
  • Also at one point she absorbs a telepathic Skrull and starts being able to manifest any power she's absorbed previously, but doesn't have much control over it. The main side effect of this is her wearing red shades.
  • Rogue has her powers boosted by Sage to call on any power she's used before to beat a forgettable villain, burning her powers out. Sage offers to restore her powers but Rogue blows her off. She leaves the team.
  • Rogue gets her powers back and rejoins the team. This has never been explained.
  • Rogue gets Sunfire's powers to avenge him. (His own powers would later be restored by Apocalypse.)
  • Rogue's powers are amplified by a virus known as Strain 88 to instantly absorb / kill people she touches.
  • Rogue is exposed to baby Hope, who cures her of Strain 88 and wipes all of the memories she's absorbed (along with Sunfire's powers).
  • Due to her largely blank slate in terms of absorbed memories, Professor X is able to finally treat Rogue's lack of control issues psychically. Rogue then has control of her powers after that.
  • To stop a Celestial, Rogue absorbs the powers of dozens of superheroes. Scarlet Witch is able to return those powers, but Wonder Man remains stuck within her, giving her his powers, but the process drives her mad and... she loses her control over her powers again.
  • One of the High Evolutionary's goons wipes Wonder Man's mind from her, seemingly leaving her with his powers alone.
There might be other stuff, but that's everything I know of.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 12, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Forget all that noise, when are we going to get the payoff for Wonder Man and his Revengers being really mad about the Avengers not realizing Scarlet Witch broke reality?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Very few Bendis comics have anything that could be called a "payoff".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He really is the Marvel-version of Geoff Johns

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Forget all that noise, when are we going to get the payoff for Wonder Man and his Revengers being really mad about the Avengers not realizing Scarlet Witch broke reality?

House of M II

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I have a soft spot for Wonder Man. I wish they hadn't Visioned him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a soft spot for Wonder Man. I wish they hadn't Visioned him.

They disassembled him, bleached him, and removed his emotions? :ohdear:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm so pissed they just grabbed names out of a hat for the Revengers team and it came up Ethan Edwards, the Superman expy that was a skrull sleeper who was raised by a nice chirstian family and went off to faith heal people in Africa because hes also Jesus

A perfect canidate for him to join up with Wonderman, a guy who he had never met and go after the Avengers for Skrullvenge for Secret Invasion.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
What's an "expy"?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Well thats *google definition* Tvtropes lingo for Ex-OH PLEASE DON'T GO

Tvtropes lingo for exported character, kind of just like a satirical spin on a certain character like Superman or when Robert Kirkman or Rob Liefield draw like Captain Picard in the story but he's a pink alien but you know that is supposed to be Picard

Edit: I also used the terminology wrong. I guess satirical take on Superman in Marvel Knights Spider-man would be better. Sorry for spreading confusion

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 12, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pat Mustard posted:

What's an "expy"?

I think it's an analogue, like how Hyperion is a Superman-analogue, or Moon Knight is a Batman-analogue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prefect posted:

They disassembled him, bleached him, and removed his emotions? :ohdear:
I mean writers see him as this semi-disposable B or C league character, so when they don't know what to do with him or want to have a character die, Vision always ends up torn apart, or reduced to :mitt:, or reduced to a part of the Avengers' home theatre system.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 12, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

If they ever make a full-on nineties Spider-nostalgia comic, Jimmy Six will be one of the main supporting characters in it.

It'd be a team book. The main characters would be the Slingers except they're all clones of Peter Parker, they all believe they're the original, and every month resort to increasingly convoluted schemes to conceal it from the others.

Mary Jane would quit smoking at the start of every instalment then take it up again at the end; she'd be impregnated by every clone of Peter at one point or another but every child is revealed to be a highly-trained actress who was only pretending to be miscarried. Once an issue, one of the team proclaims that SHOOOOCKEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR can't escape him and he'll chase him to the ends of the Earth, even if Shocker isn't actually in the comic.

The main villains would be the Brotherhood of Scriers, who are all clones of Norman Osborn. Recurring enemies would include Cardiac, Chase and the Tri-Sentinel (who robs banks on a regular basis), and every time the bad guys have them cornered, they're saved by the timely intervention of Solo smashing through a convenient nearby window yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!" and firing a machine gun in each hand.
You joke, for a lot of these long-running comics you could tell stories for years just building on lesser-known background characters and plot threads. Like the clone X-Men who appeared in one issue of New Mutants and then went off to have space adventures. They're still out there, dammit!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If I'm remembering all this correctly:
  • Rogue gets Ms. Marvel's powers.
  • Also at one point she absorbs a telepathic Skrull and starts being able to manifest any power she's absorbed previously, but doesn't have much control over it. The main side effect of this is her wearing red shades.
  • Rogue has her powers boosted by Sage to call on any power she's used before to beat a forgettable villain, burning her powers out. Sage offers to restore her powers but Rogue blows her off. She leaves the team.
  • Rogue gets her powers back and rejoins the team. This has never been explained.
  • Rogue gets Sunfire's powers to avenge him. (His own powers would later be restored by Apocalypse.)
  • Rogue's powers are amplified by a virus known as Strain 88 to instantly absorb / kill people she touches.
  • Rogue is exposed to baby Hope, who cures her of Strain 88 and wipes all of the memories she's absorbed (along with Sunfire's powers).
  • Due to her largely blank slate in terms of absorbed memories, Professor X is able to finally treat Rogue's lack of control issues psychically. Rogue then has control of her powers after that.
  • To stop a Celestial, Rogue absorbs the powers of dozens of superheroes. Scarlet Witch is able to return those powers, but Wonder Man remains stuck within her, giving her his powers, but the process drives her mad and... she loses her control over her powers again.
  • One of the High Evolutionary's goons wipes Wonder Man's mind from her, seemingly leaving her with his powers alone.
There might be other stuff, but that's everything I know of.
You know, I'm amazed they never did 'What If Rogue never absorbed Ms. Marvel's powers?' since that was such a pivotal moment for both characters' history.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'll spoil it for you - Rogue's attempt to depower Marvel is thwarted, so instead she targets another known heavy-lifter superhero like Captain America. From there events unfold pretty much identically except Captain America now serves as head of SHIELD earlier than usual due to lack of powers, and Rogue eventually takes his place due to the heroic memories gained. Nothing changes for Marvel except that she still has her original powers when she gets empowered by the white hole, making her return to status quo less of a handwave.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well thats *google definition* Tvtropes lingo for Ex-OH PLEASE DON'T GO

Tvtropes lingo for exported character, kind of just like a satirical spin on a certain character like Superman or when Robert Kirkman or Rob Liefield draw like Captain Picard in the story but he's a pink alien but you know that is supposed to be Picard

Edit: I also used the terminology wrong. I guess satirical take on Superman in Marvel Knights Spider-man would be better. Sorry for spreading confusion

Wouldn't that be importing a character? Seems a bit of an unnecessary term either way.

prefect posted:

I think it's an analogue, like how Hyperion is a Superman-analogue, or Moon Knight is a Batman-analogue.

Cheers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ghostlight posted:

I'll spoil it for you - Rogue's attempt to depower Marvel is thwarted, so instead she targets another known heavy-lifter superhero like Captain America. From there events unfold pretty much identically except Captain America now serves as head of SHIELD earlier than usual due to lack of powers, and Rogue eventually takes his place due to the heroic memories gained. Nothing changes for Marvel except that she still has her original powers when she gets empowered by the white hole, making her return to status quo less of a handwave.

... And spider man dies

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

... And spider man dies

Goddamnit; I was JUST typing that...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

... And spider man dies

I'm pretty sure that's just taken as a given, you don't even need to say it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Must admit, I was surprised Spider-Man survived Age of X, at least as far as we saw.

That little story was so good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?

Didn't the guy who killed him get snuffed while fighting some bad guy alongside Supes?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Does Kid Braniac in Legion count?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

The Eradicator.

Or all the alternate realities where Brainiac is Superman's universal remote; do they count?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lex Luthor was in the Goddamn justice league

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

purple death ray posted:

Lex Luthor was in the Goddamn justice league

Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's still running around in an iron man suit with a big S on his chest saving people and poo poo. Super dad doesn't trust him though.