Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think "all the fish in the ocean will die" is the literal fear, but there could be a tipping point which shifts the oceans from the current ecosystem to jellyfish everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

Imagine if your parents or grandparents had taken this position given the probability of Thermonuclear war during their life times.

I don't know, the lesson there was that people shouldn't have worried because it was all self-inflicted. The ecological degradation we're facing is much more certain.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

That would have been perfect. Means I wouldn't be here to deal with this crap.
You should probably go see a therapist, dude.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

You should probably go see a therapist, dude.

Have been for almost two years. Not doing much. Going to switch to a different one.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Have been for almost two years. Not doing much. Going to switch to a different one.

Go into science, humanity in general and your kin will need good solutions for making the best of the future what ever it brings. To resign oneself to total nihilism because the heat death of the universe is seemingly inevitable serves nobody and you are better spent being useful for handling the future in the best way possible.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in aerospace >.< I dont even like it that much but now I am stuck (my degree was more like a bunch of intro classes of various engineering branches strung together with a joke of a thesis at the end). What I would really like to do is software but at 29 it might be way too late.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Warming also lowers oxygen levels in the oceans in a number of ways. Oxygen is less soluble in warmer water. When surface water gets hotter, the water column becomes more stratified, decreasing mixing. Currents that bring oxygenated water to the equator are also weakened as the poles warm. On top of all this, metabolic rates of ectothermic life (a large portion of ocean organisms) are temperature dependent, so warmer water will increase the oxygen they consume.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm in aerospace >.< I dont even like it that much but now I am stuck. What I would really like to do is software but at 29 it might be way too late.

No way. Tech is absolutely riddled with late learning coders making more money than makes any sense in the world.

Source: I'm one of them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TildeATH posted:

Ditto. If it's something you want to do then go for it. 29 isn't even close to being too late for that kind of change, assuming you're willing to put in the effort to learn.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I majored in English and focused on rhetoric and composition. I'm loving useless in fighting this poo poo off, aren't I?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I majored in English and focused on rhetoric and composition. I'm loving useless in fighting this poo poo off, aren't I?

Join the public debate with those skills, or help to make good media that influence the public opinion. Nobody can do everything and science is but one part in tackling the problem. The strength in humans is that people with varying skillsets can work together after all.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Star Man posted:

I've got a degree in physics and nothing but experience in the auto industry. The best thing I've got going is an attempt to get into office on a platform of long-term mitigation planning. Trying anything puts you in the positive ledger imo

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I've done nothing but software development for my professional career. My major is Accounting. "Too late" is not an excuse and neither is "no education".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Star Man posted:

We could do with, for instance, climatology science fiction that isn't loving The Day After Tomorrow.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Arglebargle III posted:

The bears are attacking!

It's okay. We've got our "best" people working on saving us.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

AceOfFlames posted:

See, I never understood why that is supposed to be comforting. "Oh humans will be gone but other animals will show up!" Who cares? These animals arent sentient. They wont have the capacity for art, for love, for empathy, for creativity. Who care if a beautiful world is reborn if there is nothing intelligent left to see it?

With enough time, evolution will bring more intelligent life.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

So I am just supposed to pretend nothing is happening? Form attachments to people who will die horribly or will have to protect? Make a career knowing that it will all turn to dust? I keep hearing about how you're supposed to love the process of what you do but I only ever manage to care about results. Why make something that will not last? Why strive for a brief moment of happiness if it comes with thousands more moments of pain?
Nothing lasts forever. Have a useful career and love the people around you because it's the right thing to do; live a good life for its own sake.

Essentially, the more I look at how events in the world are going and my own (and others') instinctive reactions to them, the more I become convinced that classical Stoicism is one of the only solid rational approaches to it all. Do what you can to make the world a better place but don't allow your happiness to be contingent on the outcome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Actually we have had more intelligent life. Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens are two different species. We share a common ancestor but they quite distinct from humans.

The likely hood though of another species evolving into a "intelligent" life as we know it is pretty low. Otherwise there would be more species of intelligent life like neanderthals and humans found in archaeology.

I think the best way I heard it was " in 500 million years we've had one dominant species evolve" there is another 500 million years before the Earth is no longer sustainable to life because of the way the Sun ages and expands.

We're probably it.

Technologically though we can in fact overcome Climate Change because we can build self contained Arcologies most likely.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 12, 2016

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ghostwritingduck posted:

It looks increasingly likely that the reason for fermi's paradox is that intelligent life that reaches tech levels approximate to our own is either

A) Fantastically unlikely
B) Always burns itself out
C) Physically exploring or communicating past one's own star system is simply unfeasible

And B poisons the well for further A from the same source, as they consume available fossil fuels and rare earths.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hollismason posted:

Actually we have had more intelligent life. Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens are two different species. We share a common ancestor but they quite distinct from humans.

The likely hood though of another species evolving into a "intelligent" life as we know it is pretty low. Otherwise there would be more species of intelligent life like neanderthals and humans found in archaeology.

I think the best way I heard it was " in 500 million years we've had one dominant species evolve" there is another 500 million years before the Earth is no longer sustainable to life because of the way the Sun ages and expands.

We're probably it.

Technologically though we can in fact overcome Climate Change because we can build self contained Arcologies most likely.

First off humans aren't going to go extinct, second 500 million years ago animals had barely evolved hard structures, nothing lived on land and the most complex brain around would probably have been outclassed by a modern woodlouse. I don't think that humans could find a way to wipe out every single vertebrate on land if we tried, even if only a few rats or crows survived that would about 400 million years worth of evolution already done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Climate Change : 200 Million years later evolved Rats dig up our Bones

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

On the off-chance humanity destroys itself but somehow the great apes survive you can be sure chimps will fill our role as intelligent civilization-building tool-users pretty quickly (in evolutionary terms). They're as terrible as we are so look forward to more of the same.

Conspiratiorist posted:

It looks increasingly likely that the reason for fermi's paradox is that intelligent life that reaches tech levels approximate to our own is either

A) Fantastically unlikely
B) Always burns itself out
C) Physically exploring or communicating past one's own star system is simply unfeasible

And B poisons the well for further A from the same source, as they consume available fossil fuels and rare earths.

It's probably C, special relativity is a pretty tough constraint for interstellar anything.

Star Man posted:

Climate change is primarily a political problem, so people skilled in rhetoric and speech-writing could very well be more useful than scientists at this point in terms of climate advocacy. It's not like the scientific consensus can get any clearer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paradoxish posted:

Ditto. If it's something you want to do then go for it. 29 isn't even close to being too late for that kind of change, assuming you're willing to put in the effort to learn.

One of my pseudo-mentors started learning modern coding at 51 because he was [retired early and loving bored], and is now back to working a fairly reasonable number of hours a week at a considerably higher wage than I have.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ghostwritingduck posted:

Who cares? I mean, that's a heck of a novel religion, but otherwise completely meaningless.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm in aerospace >.< I dont even like it that much but now I am stuck (my degree was more like a bunch of intro classes of various engineering branches strung together with a joke of a thesis at the end). What I would really like to do is software but at 29 it might be way too late.

29 is not too late for an interdisciplinary engineering major with software skills. What the hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TildeATH posted:

Who cares? I mean, that's a heck of a novel religion, but otherwise completely meaningless.

It's too bad that the evangelists want to die in a polluted hellfire, or else we could convince them that fighting climate change and these oil tycoon billionaires is a holy war.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Star Man posted:

It's too bad that the evangelists want to die in a polluted hellfire, or else we could convince them that fighting climate change and these oil tycoon billionaires is a holy war.

I've had some success with my father by using the argument that we were given Dominion over the Earth, which means we have to protect it; that's a bible passage, even.

Or maybe he was humoring me because he thinks I'm a dumb liberal.

I'd aim for more outdoorsy types for that kind of stuff though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TildeATH posted:

No way. Tech is absolutely riddled with late learning coders making more money than makes any sense in the world.

How'd you do it? Like, how'd you prepare and where'd you enter the field? Self-Train & Portfolio followed by web app developer or something?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stallion Cabana posted:

I've had some success with my father by using the argument that we were given Dominion over the Earth, which means we have to protect it; that's a bible passage, even.

Or maybe he was humoring me because he thinks I'm a dumb liberal.

I'd aim for more outdoorsy types for that kind of stuff though.

Once you go Genesis then they think you're advocating G-d gave us all the plants to smoke and then they start thinking about their portfolios.

Filthy mammon.

Best part of the creation story though was you have to name all the animals.

Go ahead and keep naming all the species of beetles. Or just rip off the fig leaf and gently caress until you die.

So many beetles. :negative:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Article: Bill Gates and investors worth $170 billion are launching a fund to fight climate change through energy innovation

quote:

Bill Gates is leading a more than $1 billion fund focused on fighting climate change by investing in clean energy innovation.

The Microsoft co-founder and his all-star line-up of fellow investors plan to announce tomorrow the Breakthrough Energy Ventures fund, which will begin making investments next year. The BEV fund, which has a 20-year duration, aims to invest in the commercialization of new technologies that reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in areas including electricity generation and storage, transportation, industrial processes, agriculture, and energy-system efficiency.

“Anything that leads to cheap, clean, reliable energy we’re open-minded to,” says Gates, who is serving as chairman of BEV and anticipates being actively involved.

Bill Gates is an exemplary billionaire.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Honestly, I'm not impressed. Call me when Exxon or Koch Industries starts funding alternative energy and green-powered equipment.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I mean it's a nice thought that someone's gonna be able to come up with a technology that can save the world in the next twenty years, but I'm pretty sure a billion dollars isn't enough to come up with the technology needed to save the world, they spent 2000 times that much on the Iraq War and look how that turned out.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

He is an odd duck but he will jump the h*ck out of a chair.

Bill and Melinda Gates (and Buffet) are god-tier billionaires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJMgPGswrk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TCirzo6hIM

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe Bill will threaten to send jobs to Mexico for more clean energy support.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

Honestly, I'm not impressed. Call me when Exxon or Koch Industries starts funding alternative energy and green-powered equipment.

That would tap money from their 'global warming is a hoax' think tanks, have some decency!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The good news for Gates is that there are going to be a lot of climate scientists about to be out of a job soon.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

AceOfFlames posted:

No, 29 is not too late. The only problem is your attitude.

Also, don't start with learning modern front-end web development. It's a steaming pile of poo poo at the moment with the next best implementation of javascript being released every next day, ontop of being overwhelming for new programmers. Stick to Java or C#.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

All billionaires are bad, some are just less bad.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Sylink posted:

All billionaires are bad, some are just less bad.

What you mean I don't get credit for putting a small fraction of my wealth towards climate change by "investing" money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Good news!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/11/politics/donald-trump-climate-change-interview/index.html

quote:

"I'm still open-minded. Nobody really knows. Look, I'm somebody that gets it, and nobody really knows. It's not something that's so hard and fast."

Trump told Wallace he is studying whether the United States should withdraw from its commitment to limit environmental output made at the Paris summit last year.

"Now, Paris, I'm studying. I do say this. I don't want that agreement to put us at a competitive disadvantage with other countries," Trump said. "And as you know, there are different times and different time limits on that agreement. I don't want that to give China, or other countries signing agreements an advantage over us."