Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't bought the DLC yet. Can wood elves build walls in their outposts? Can they build proper walls at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So my online opponent was lagging super hard and dropped from the server mid match, somehow causing me a defeat and losing me leaderboard points.
What the gently caress is up with that?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Soup du Journey posted:

Haven't bought the DLC yet. Can wood elves build walls in their outposts? Can they build proper walls at all?

Dunno about outposts, but they can build walls in their settlements and capitals. It's a separate building from your garrison though (but it does come with some extra buffs in the form of hero action defense, melee defense, and extra ammo).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone found a mod that pushes you to auto resolve a bit less? I've only found ones that makes you never want to do it and am looking for recommendations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Soup du Journey posted:

Haven't bought the DLC yet. Can wood elves build walls in their outposts?

No, never. I think outpost maps have a lot of forests for terrain advantage, and you can build one of the garrison buildings if you think you'll need extra troops (waystones in particular add enough bodies to stand up to some raiding stacks if you actually play the battle), but no walls.

quote:

Can they build proper walls at all?

Only in your main settlements (for which ten building slots does not go NEARLY as far as you might think.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Decus posted:

Nice! I was wondering how things would change against grand campaign factions. Though, I wonder about custom battle testing to some extent since a lot of the tech/lord bonuses you get to units are static changes, which might favor the unit with a lower stat in an area over one with a higher stat. Or in the case of the speardancers, wouldn't the weapon damage buff of the council position and the +attack effectively be doing double work? On the armor front I'm also not sure if going from 15 to 47 armor is more effective than going from 40 to 72, but I would think so. Though, on the flip-side, the rangers might get more out of the +melee defense buffs due to starting lower.

I'll have to actually try stuff out whenever I get around to a Grand Campaign with them. Custom Battle testing is definitely helpful for multiplayer at least.

Campaign abilities massively buff Wood Elf units, yeah. I can't perform reliable, reproduceable tests in a campaign situation, so everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I don't think the fundamental roles of units will change too much: rather, they'll simply scale up. And frankly in a campaign you can just throw dragons at your problems until they go away, unless those problems are dwarves.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Soup du Journey posted:

Some of the regular wood elf maps have great natural defences that I haven't needed to build walls. Using the bluff on the Kingsglade battle map I've held off a full beastman stack just using the city garrison.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
So, uh, Morghur is pretty nuts. He just killed 300 empire troops including Franz by himself in addition to having a 20% execute ability that spawns a unit of Chaos spawn... Twice. Plus playing up in the Drak is fun as hell.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know if the wood elf temple bonuses stack? Will building two of the movement range temples give +10% movement range to all armies or just 5%?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

Only in your main settlements (for which ten building slots does not go NEARLY as far as you might think.)

I'm 70 turns in and only upgraded my only settlement to the second stage. Most of the useful buildings can be demolished once you've built or researched what you need.

Can't waste amber when your neighbour with the huge army is getting ready to declare war on your dwarven allies and set you back to -1.

I don't think my all-cavalry army is ready for dwarf quarrellers.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

sassassin posted:

I'm 70 turns in and only upgraded my only settlement to the second stage. Most of the useful buildings can be demolished once you've built or researched what you need.

Huh. Well, that's good to know. I guess WElves will be the faction for Annoying Levels of Micromanagement on both the campaign and overworld maps.

On a semi-related note, man do I wish it would be possible for peace treaties to apply to all your allies. I've got both the Empire and the Dwarves begging for peace so they can go fight Chaos (the former after I captured Altdorf and won a gigantic clusterfuck battle between 3 full WElf stacks and 3 full Empire stacks plus a garrison sallying forth) and frankly I'd love to because I don't need any more territory OR any more money, but they're both still in wars with my smaller allies that called me in in the FIRST place, and will just drag me right back in when they ask again, because I DO need the amber my allies provide so I have to keep them alive and on side.

So I guess that just means I have to keep burning Imperial and Dwarfen settlements until what's left will accept being forced into vassalage. I wonder if the gold counter can hit seven figures?

Also, question for people who have finished the Wood Elf GC: is the battle you have to fight after upgrading the Oak to Tier 5 something you can bring reinforcements to, or is it just a quest battle with your main LL's stack?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

Huh. Well, that's good to know. I guess WElves will be the faction for Annoying Levels of Micromanagement on both the campaign and overworld maps.

On a semi-related note, man do I wish it would be possible for peace treaties to apply to all your allies. I've got both the Empire and the Dwarves begging for peace so they can go fight Chaos (the former after I captured Altdorf and won a gigantic clusterfuck battle between 3 full WElf stacks and 3 full Empire stacks plus a garrison sallying forth) and frankly I'd love to because I don't need any more territory OR any more money, but they're both still in wars with my smaller allies that called me in in the FIRST place, and will just drag me right back in when they ask again, because I DO need the amber my allies provide so I have to keep them alive and on side.

So I guess that just means I have to keep burning Imperial and Dwarfen settlements until what's left will accept being forced into vassalage. I wonder if the gold counter can hit seven figures?

Also, question for people who have finished the Wood Elf GC: is the battle you have to fight after upgrading the Oak to Tier 5 something you can bring reinforcements to, or is it just a quest battle with your main LL's stack?

One stack, bring several treekin.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Durthu isn't that strong when a Chaos Lord on a Dragon, Exalted Hero on a manticore, 2 feral manticores, and a fire sorcerer on a manticore all charge him with flaming sword of rhuin.
In fact he's kinda lovely for not being able to stand up to that. They should buff him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone want to screw around with unranked elf vs dwarf multiplayer?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

Durthu isn't that strong when a Chaos Lord on a Dragon, Exalted Hero on a manticore, 2 feral manticores, and a fire sorcerer on a manticore all charge him with flaming sword of rhuin.
In fact he's kinda lovely for not being able to stand up to that. They should buff him.

Durthu should get a chariot drawn by elves as his mount.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zudgemud posted:

Durthu should get a chariot drawn by elves as his mount.

Also a smaller treeman to use as a weapon

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's a quest battle. You only have whichever stack you decide to fight the battle with. I won with a mix of eternal guard, spellsinger healers, waywatchers, and two dragons. Honestly you should have no problem beating the battle unless you decide to recruit a bunch of new troops with 0 xp and do it with them, for some reason.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
woodelves.png

loving sigh

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, basically don't bother with the multiplayer unless you bought all the DLC then?

I play without the regiments of reknown and honestly couldnt care less, the default rosters are good

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

420 Gank Mid posted:

I play without the regiments of reknown and honestly couldnt care less, the default rosters are good

The RoR own and add a nice flavor to the game

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, basically don't bother with the multiplayer unless you bought all the DLC then?

Most of the best multiplayer builds as Empire or Bretonnia don't require any DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only Regiment of Renown that is leaps and bounds better than anything else is the Rusty Arrers for the Greenskins because of their unique armor degrading effect which makes them insanely effective at debuffing and killing lords/high value units.

The rest are more 'good but situational' and there are plenty of builds that don't involve them at all.

And Bretonnia doesn't have any and is perfectly viable/isn't DLC.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 12, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like standard Orc Boyz need a bit of a buff. As second fiddle to Skarsnik gobilns, they are pretty crappy, and with the main Greenskin horde, they just don't cut it in straight up combat when they just get replaced by Big 'Uns. Maybe if they had 20 more boyz in a unit, bring it up to 140. That way gobbos still outnumber them, but the Boyz don't lose out so much due to their morale penalties.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2016

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't think coop elves was quite thought out; Treeman doesn't get any Tree effects at all, which is actually pretty bad since the elves rely on that for public order and corruption removal. So aside from units you don't have ANY way to get rid of corruption in your main settlements so things get pretty grim as chaos ramps up

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone determined whether the faction-wide effects of Athel Loren buildings stack? Building space is tight, but I will happily make room if it's possible to get +8 ranks to Wardancer recruits.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kestral posted:

Has anyone determined whether the faction-wide effects of Athel Loren buildings stack? Building space is tight, but I will happily make room if it's possible to get +8 ranks to Wardancer recruits.

I know the Sacrificial Ground bonus stacks and once you get a few running your units reach max level in a few turns anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
My prediction for other race mechanics:

All the elf races can capture each other's settlements.

Whatever they end up doing with Naval Combat High Elves will be the best at it. Since they're isolated on their island they'll need some compelling reason to build up quickly early on (otherwise you could just turtle on your island while everybody else annihilates each other), likely Dark Elf raids. They'll likely be more user friendly then wood elves, using costly but reliable units.

Dark elves function as a 'horde' while on the ocean, but not when traveling on land. Slaves are now a unique resource which degrades over time (they don't survive captivity long). They can be 'spent' on structures and global bonuses and probably play into their short objectives.

Skaven also use slaves; some units might consume slaves instead of gold for upkeep, and consuming slaves might expedite build times for some structures. Skaven can only capture 'underground' cities (Dwarf Karaks, for example) so you can end up with incomplete provinces in some places. Nobody but Skaven can capture native Skaven cities however. The player gets a voting seat on the council of thirteen. At the beginning of every 13 rounds the council votes on a Skavenscheme which imparts both a global bonus and malus to all Skaven factions on the map. Conquering other Skaven subsections as well as some quests give additional voting seats to the player. You vote on various sets of bonuses/Maluses, the idea is to benefit you and screw over the other Skaven. A simple majority gives a small benefit, a supermajority gives a much bigger one and controlling the entire council gives the highest bonuses. (also terms of the short victory conditions)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't know about that, I just demolished the spellsinger shed after hiring one, the shieldmaker after hiring 6 units of eternal shield guard, the +5% campaign movement building after getting the attached research (10% of same?) but kept the wine-making and standard barracks the whole time.

Not throwing money at my settlement permanently has given me a reserve of ~20k despite minimal economy, so now the dwarfs are angry (justifiably, they were besieging Castle Carcassone for me when I turned on them) I could safely run a big deficit to clear them up.

I lost the Havens but rolled Belegar into a ditch in the middle of the forest. My mounted Lord's Helm of Discord is some serious hacks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Panfilo posted:

My prediction for other race mechanics:

All the elf races can capture each other's settlements.

Whatever they end up doing with Naval Combat High Elves will be the best at it. Since they're isolated on their island they'll need some compelling reason to build up quickly early on (otherwise you could just turtle on your island while everybody else annihilates each other), likely Dark Elf raids. They'll likely be more user friendly then wood elves, using costly but reliable units.

Dark elves function as a 'horde' while on the ocean, but not when traveling on land. Slaves are now a unique resource which degrades over time (they don't survive captivity long). They can be 'spent' on structures and global bonuses and probably play into their short objectives.

Skaven also use slaves; some units might consume slaves instead of gold for upkeep, and consuming slaves might expedite build times for some structures. Skaven can only capture 'underground' cities (Dwarf Karaks, for example) so you can end up with incomplete provinces in some places. Nobody but Skaven can capture native Skaven cities however. The player gets a voting seat on the council of thirteen. At the beginning of every 13 rounds the council votes on a Skavenscheme which imparts both a global bonus and malus to all Skaven factions on the map. Conquering other Skaven subsections as well as some quests give additional voting seats to the player. You vote on various sets of bonuses/Maluses, the idea is to benefit you and screw over the other Skaven. A simple majority gives a small benefit, a supermajority gives a much bigger one and controlling the entire council gives the highest bonuses. (also terms of the short victory conditions)

I love the Skaven idea. Really, Skaven -need- to spend the majority of their game fighting other Skaven.

Their endgame should be when you've suitably cowed the rest of the Council and wage war on the surface. If I see Skaven roaming around anywhere besides Skavenblight/Eight Peaks before the endgame, CA has done the race wrong.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How do woodelves hold up in multiplayer? are they chaos tier or empire tier?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rookersh posted:

I love the Skaven idea. Really, Skaven -need- to spend the majority of their game fighting other Skaven.

Okay, but would that be fun?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How do woodelves hold up in multiplayer? are they chaos tier or empire tier?

Right now they're pretty much in no one knows how to play them tier. I think they'll end up pretty good though, especially if CA tweaks their elite archers at some point.

They've got some good stuff at least, I can't imagine they'll end up Chaos tier.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sassassin posted:

You could make a whole expansion with nothing but Skavens betraying and fighting each other.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I just want Tomb Kings so bad god dammit. All they have to do is expand the map a tiny bit south, and just looking through their roster they will fit the game so perfectly, with Settra and Khalida as the LLs, Lich Priests as your casters, Bone Giants and screaming skull catapults and all that rad poo poo. gently caress.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

sassassin posted:

Each clan plays drastically differently, so yes if done well. Add in a spicing of "go gently caress the dwarfs near Eight Peaks" and "go gently caress the Lizardmen" and you've got a game.

You spend 90% of the Greenskin/Dwarf campaigns fighting the opposite. 90% of the VC campaign fighting VC before fighting the Empire. Skaven fighting Skaven wouldn't be that large of a jump.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Once Morghur gets his item he can spawn no fewer than four!!! Chaos spawn per battle and he doesn't take any loving damage at all

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Morghur is about as busted tactically as Vlad is strategically which is insane.

Why is he like 80% resistant to magic and arrows??????

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

Once Morghur gets his item he can spawn no fewer than four!!! Chaos spawn per battle and he doesn't take any loving damage at all

Yeah it's absolute bullshit. 75% resistance to magic and ranged fire PLUS regeneration on a unit with the strongest summoning abilities in the game (oh hey, your Grumbling Guard with 15% HP is now a chaos spawn on my side!)? What were they thinking?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Other Skaven - things :

-The more untrustworthy you are, the greater morale and public order bonuses you get, with a big one for betraying and wiping out a former ally in 1 turn.

-Instead of March stance they have Scurry. Scurry gives bonus movement AND 'stealth' but you have a higher chance of getting successfully ambushed and in battles from Scurry stance the army is both Tired and has a Ld penalty.

-Life is Cheap TT rule translated as units never suffering morale hits from friendly fire. Many Skaven units would have 'expendable' trait to prevent the army from routing when units get wiped out. Individual Skaven units are really cowardly and flee easily, just primarily from enemy damage not some errant warp fire cannon hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On paper Morghur looks like he probably would overshadow the other leader choices by a fair bit and is probably "banned from tournaments" tier of good.

Does the on paper assessment hold up ingame?

• Locked thread